Fanzine

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
DubleDex
Shredaholic

Post by DubleDex » 20 Feb 2012 10:22

The furious sets look good! Particularly the first one and the one at about 35 seconds. Good uptime after the second dex. (I say as clearly someone who is an expert ... based on the fact that I'm nowhere close to hitting a furious set. I have enough trouble with stepping sets!)

Thanks for another good vid.
Darren Kautz
Kicking since 1991

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 20 Feb 2012 12:50

Just curious, what do you do with all the raw video? Do you store them on a hard drive? Delete after they've been edited and uploaded?

My camera shoots at 720p and I've got almost a terabyte of net practice & pick-up game footage from the past year. I'll be needing another hard drive for this coming season.

Also, is there any chance of seeing net footage of you any time soon?
Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 27 Feb 2012 07:18

Thanks for the nice comments guys. I’m pretty excited about my recent breakthroughs with furious set. I’m not going to lie; hitting nemesis and/or other quads with this set is definitely a long term goal, which I’d be stoked to achieve. That said, even if I never hit anything harder than fury off of this set, I’m pretty thrilled that it’s become so much easier and consistent. I’ve worked at furious off and on for 10+ years, so finally coming to a point where I understand the set better has been very gratifying.
Zeke wrote:Just curious, what do you do with all the raw video? Do you store them on a hard drive? Delete after they've been edited and uploaded?
I tend to erase most of my raw footage after I’ve made a video. Otherwise I’d just get buried under it. The way I see it, if I ever want to rewatch a clip in the future, I can always find it on YouTube. I make exceptions for special clips, which includes things like dropless routines, beasts, 10 fearless, and tricks I found particularly hard.

As for net footage, there’s almost none. Last year I worked on some solo net drills that Mirken suggested, and filmed myself. But I think I’ve since deleted them. I’m working on building a takraw/net scene here in Denver, but it looks like there’s more interest in takraw at the moment. I think I also enjoy takraw more than net, at least at this stage. There are some photos of me spiking on facebook, but no video yet. We took the winter off, but as the weather improves in the spring I might make an effort to get some spikes on video.

The previous clip of furious stuff was from my Saturday session, when it was really nice out. Sunday was super cold, but I decided to play anyway. That was probably a mistake. After 3 weeks of rest, playing hard one day and then following it up with another session the next day…when my body couldn’t warm up… I really ended up pissing off my left quad and calf. I still had fun playing, and hit some unusual drills, but it probably wasn’t worth it. I took a few days off, cross trained my footbag muscles at the gym on Wednesday. I played a bit, but mostly just basics. Did a couple furious sets just to make sure I hadn’t lost the motion, but I didn’t push it.

In good news, I recently found my iPod, which I had misplaced after my last trip. I’m going to start listening to routine songs during my commute, and start planning out sections of routines. Once my body gets back in shape, I’ll start trying them out and seeing what works and doesn’t. But I figure it’s probably not a bad idea to start at least visualizing routines at this point.

Here’s the footage from my freezing Sunday session. I’m pretty sure this is the coldest weather I’ve ever sessioned in:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSyW7eOmTDU[/youtube]
Last edited by C-Fan on 14 Aug 2012 09:05, edited 1 time in total.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 29 Feb 2012 08:08

Vegas Jam in just over a week! Excited for it, though I don’t feel my game is in great shape for competing. I took off three weeks from playing in February, and I think I pushed too hard too quickly when I started up again. I got two new combos of ten fearless in the process, but in both cases I also got minor injuries. My brain clearly has not forgotten how to play, but my body still has some catching up to do.

In good news, I joined a gym. I’m only able to go there Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, but that should be enough to get my body back in shape. My membership expires in May, which is perfect, since I should be able to play outside by that time. I’ve only been there twice so far, but it works very well for footbag, and there’s also a ton of equipment and machines for me to cross train on. I’m mostly using the machines for two things:

1. Strengthening my quad and hip muscles. The goal here is to strengthen the muscles that support my knees, thereby indirectly strengthening my knees. This is what my doctor told me to do when I got my knee checked out, and the machines totally make it easier.

2. Strengthen my core muscles. I feel like your core can never be strong enough for footbag.

Footbagwise, I haven’t done much at the gym. Mostly just BOP and basics, so I don’t lose touch. I may start playing in the adjoining gym which is bigger, in which case I might play harder. When I was working on fearless, I played in my mismatched G-Units which were super broken in. At the gym I play in my newest modded pair, which I used in competition last year. They feel a lot stiffer than my broken in pair, so it’s probably good that I’m starting to break them in now. My plan is to use them at Worlds, so I’m hoping to break them in enough that they are comfortable, but at the same time leaving good enough tread on the soles that I won’t fear playing on slippery surfaces.

In other equipment news, my memory card has yet to arrive. I’m really hoping it gets here by the weekend, so I can shoot a session and get familiarized with my camera before Vegas.

Vegas Jam should be fun. It’ll be a nice change to play outside and with others. Also a 3 day weekend in another town will be a welcome break from work, which has been busy lately. My main goal this year is to make routine finals at Worlds. While there won’t be routines at Vegas, it should still be a good measuring stick for my stamina and consistency. Busking would also give me an excuse to work on routine elements. But yeah, I’m going into the Jam with no pressure whatsoever.

Things I want to do at Vegas Jam:

• Poker game with footbaggers
• Busk the strip
• Try out Mike Green’s headcam
• Get some establishment shots of me for use in my fearless vid. All my footage now is ten second clips of tripod footage…a couple hand held shots of me walking the Vegas strip should help make for a less boring video.
• Defend my title in mirage race.

I seem to have hurt my right foot sometime in the last couple days. It hurts a bit when I put pressure on it, but I’m hoping it’ll just get better if I lay off it for a couple days. I’m going to go to the gym and cross train in the meantime, and might even work some BOP, but if it hurts at all I’m stopping. I’m not in panic mode, but it’s probably a good idea to treat this conservatively.

Happy Leap Day everybody. Looking forward to seeing a bunch of you real soon. :)

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 06 Mar 2012 08:44

C-Fan wrote: I think I pushed too hard too quickly when I started up again. My brain clearly has not forgotten how to play, but my body still has some catching up to do.
This still sums up my situation pretty well. Since taking off 3 weeks, I’ve tried to come back too hard on 3 separate occasions, and each time my body has rebelled. This last time I should have known better too. During the week I was being pretty good about using the machines to cross train, and only working on my basics with footbag. But at the end of my Thursday session, I tried a new trick on a whim and came super close. So on Sunday when I played again, I switched to my broken in shoes and my best bag, and spent most of my session going for two hard tricks. The good news is that I hit one of them, and was closer than ever to the other. The bad news, is that I blew out my legs again. My quads still ache, and my calves feel weird too. I can’t entirely blame the legs on footbag, since its possible that my cross training has also contributed to it, as well as some ice skating I did on choppy ice on Sunday morning. Still, with Vegas Jam in a few days, I should have spent my session on working basics and stamina, and not chasing crazy tricks. The trick I hit was cool enough though that it almost makes this worth it. I’ll put it on my fearless video, which I hope to edit shortly after getting back from Vegas.

I think competition happens on Saturday, and I get in on Thursday night. Depending how my legs feel, I might not compete at all. I wouldn’t mind not competing, but I’d really like to be able to play. This week I’m alternating days of rest with days at the gym, and the days I go to the gym I’m laying off machines that work my legs. I will play some light footbag, but mostly just basics and low-impact stuff.

In good news, my 16GB memory card arrived, which means I was finally able to try out the Samsung camera. So far so good. I shot my Sunday session, and the video quality looks good. The clip-trimming software works OK, though I haven’t tried editing the clips in Adobe yet. Maybe I’ll make a test video tonight; if I do I’ll post it here. I feel good though knowing I’ll have a nice camera at Vegas jam, so even if I don’t play much I should be able to get some good footage of others, as well as some establishment shots for my video.

I was bummed to hear nobody from Seattle is making the jam, and that Flash had to bail. Having Justin and Flash there probably would have motivated me more to compete, though if my legs heal up in time I probably won’t need much motivation to compete anyway. I think I’m just going to take it easy before Vegas, and play it by ear once I get there.

worldbound
BSOS Beast

Post by worldbound » 06 Mar 2012 19:04

Aah! Don't blow your legs out for Vegas! I can't wait to see your video! Do you have a song already selected, or is it a secret?

Which bag is your best bag?
Mike Green
footblog
kicking since Mar 27, 2011

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 08 Mar 2012 10:15

worldbound wrote:Aah! Don't blow your legs out for Vegas!
Unfortunately, that ship has already sailed. :roll: The good news is that my hips and my right quad feel almost 100%. The bad news, is that my left quad still is in bad shape. My plan is to rest today and Friday, and hopefully use adrenaline and caffeine to play (and compete?) on Saturday. We’ll see what happens…muscle strains are unpredictable. For all I know, I might be fine by Saturday, or it might be exactly the same. It’ll be a fun weekend no matter what, and it’s not like I’m injured right before Worlds.
worldbound wrote:I can't wait to see your video! Do you have a song already selected, or is it a secret?
One of my goals this weekend is to get some establishment shots to give the video more visual variety. Right now it’s 95% fearless combos on tennis courts, shot with a tripod. I’d like to throw in a couple new perspectives, maybe a couple big tricks, and even just some interesting background shots (like Mads Hole does so well). I have a couple songs in mind, but that choice will be affected by how much footage I have, how long each clip is, etc.
worldbound wrote:Which bag is your best bag?
It depends on what I’m doing. If I’m working on tricks with lots of tight dexes (e.g. furious set), then I prefer a small and heavy bag. In that category, my best bag is an old Liz Nguyen bag I won at NYJ. If I’m doing routines, I like a bigger and floppier bag. For that it’s a tie between a Hania and a Waylon bag, both which I had custom made to be slightly heavier and larger than what they normally make. Neither of them are extreme or anything though; I’ve hit 10 fearless with each, so it’s not like they’re too big to dex.

In 10 hours my flight departs for Vegas. I tried to pack light, since my quad is bothering me and I don’t want any unnecessary weight on me. The main goal for the weekend is to have a good time hanging out, and hopefully playing some footbag without making my injury worse. Sounds doable to me.

Stoked to see everybody real soon! :D

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 16 Mar 2012 08:07

So Vegas Jam was ridiculously awesome, and deserves an extended writeup. Unfortunately, work has been pretty insane lately, and promises to get even harder. I’ve jotted down a rough outline of events, but it’ll be hard to flesh it out. I’m going to try though. In the meantime, here’s some non-Vegas notes on what’s been going on in my nook of footbag.

• I’ve played twice since getting back from Vegas. First time was a solo session where I mostly just messed around, and played a bit with furious set. I think I’m making slow progress. Every now and then I’ll get a very good set, and those tend to happen when I think of the set as a single dex (quantum from clipper). My goal is to get these good sets more consistent, since 60% of the time I still overthink the number of dexes, and that kills any height. I think I need to accept that getting a good furious set is going to take time, but as long as I keep plugging away at it and making it more consistent over time, it’ll pay off eventually.

• My second session this week wasn’t even a proper session. Instead, when I arrived at the park where I normally play, I saw three guys kicking a footbag! Two are locals in college, and look like they are freshmen or sophomores. The bag they were kicking was an empty 32 panel, and they could do stuff like toe stalls! I had to restrain my excitement to try and not scare them away. I should start carrying around chalk, so 4 square would be possible. Anyway, I played with them for over 30 minutes, and even showed them some tricks. I gave them my cell number and invited them to play with me this weekend, so I’m really hoping they’ll show up or call. In another promising sign for the local scene, a guy from footbag.org sent me a text while I was in Vegas, so I’ll try and start playing with him as well. I’ve been in Denver for 1.5 years now, so I really should make more of an effort to start a scene here.

• I’ve filmed some with my new camera, but haven’t tried editing anything in Adobe with it. I’ll experiment with this this weekend. It shoots in 1080p, so it might take me a while to figure out the proper settings in adobe to get it to export like that.

• Worlds is 4.5 months away. I think I’m going to spend the next 1.5 months just working on stamina, and then spend the last 3 months working on routines. I don’t want to burn out on routines by starting too early, and its likely I’ll just modify some old routines for Worlds anyway, so it won’t take as much time to prepare. I’m really hoping USO happens this year, and happens before Worlds. That’d give me motivation to start training harder.

• Last summer I played takraw pretty regularly on Sundays. I'm thinking we'll start that up again soon. When we do, I'm going to work hard on improving my set reception and sets. Last year I had fun just trying to spike everything, but that increases my chance to get hurt. Since I knew I wasn't going to Worlds last year I didn't care as much, but this year I've already bought my ticket, and want to take my training seriously. So laying off the spikes should decrease my injury risk, and also have the side effect of improving my fundamentals in takraw too.

I'll see if I can't get a writeup for Vegas started this weekend or early next week. Seriously one of the most fun jams I've ever been to.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 20 Mar 2012 09:24

Apologies for not doing a Vegas write up (yet); life’s been super busy and a little challenging and frustrating lately. That said, all my recent problems are all temporary, and in the grand scheme of things they are small potatoes. I know some of my footbag friends are currently going through much tougher situations, so I’m making a concerted effort to push through my challenges with as good an attitude as possible.

In footbag news, I injured myself again over the weekend. It was totally my own damn fault. Seduced by some promising furious sets, I blew out my right hamstring on Saturday. I spent roughly 95% of my session just repeatedly trying to hit two tricks, which both used the same muscles in the same leg. I footed one of them multiple times, which just egged me on to keep trying. At the end of two hours I had nothing to show for my efforts, but I already knew my leg was blown out. This is now the 3rd time in the last month that I’ve blown out my legs going for big shit instead of training up my stamina. How stupid is that. I’m going to make a promise now publicly in my blog: I’m not going to try for any hard tricks/combos until after Worlds. There, said it in public. Hopefully that’ll help me stick to it. Big tricks won’t help me at Worlds, and neither will extended absences due to injury either. Stamina and consistency will help me at Worlds, so that’s what I’m going to focus on through August. I’m hoping my hamstring will be OK by the weekend, though I pulled it pretty badly. Once I do get back to playing, I’ll make a point not to rush things.

The weather has gotten super nice out lately, which theoretically is good for me footbagwise. The reason I say theoretically, is that I still haven’t found a good outdoor shredspot. Over the last few months I was using some tennis courts in a nearby park, but now that it’s nice out, they’ll always be taken. I know of some remote tennis courts, but they’re all way farther from home than I’d like. Now that I’m not chasing big tricks or fearless anymore, I should have a little more leeway to experiment finding new spots to play. Before, I’d always want a spot I knew was perfect, since it’d give me the best chance to hit whatever I was going for. Now I’m willing to sacrifice some shred time to explore new areas.

Video-wise, my new camera shoots great. It’s portable, and has a bunch of features I like. The one thing I still need to figure out though, is how to make it work with Adobe Premiere. It took me a while to figure out the right settings for my Flip, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’ll take a similar learning curve to get up to speed with my new camera too. Right now I can’t get Adobe to recognize the raw files from my new camera, so the best workaround I’ve been able to figure out is to run my raw clips through windows media maker, and then work with that exported file in Adobe. Still, it’d be nice to work with the clips in Adobe without introducing an intermediate step in between. In good news, I figured out how to export vids from WMM without having that black border cropping them. So future vids won’t have that problem.

Worlds is still 4 months away. I’m really hoping USO happens before then, since it’d help motivate me to get my training/routines in good shape. My footbag goals for the next few months are:

• Get back into good footbag shape. That means pushing my stamina, bothsidedness, and variety. It also means laying off big tricks/combos until after Worlds.

• Put in a little work into building up a scene in Denver. This might be tricky, since I have a lot of work travel coming up. This scene might end up being built around takraw, but I’m hoping I can get some people interested in freestyle too.

• Make a fearless video. Now that I’m done filming fearless combos, I just need to go through my clips, maybe shoot some more scenic shots, and pick a song that works.

• Find routine songs for Worlds, and work on the choreo in my head. It’s a bit early to do this, but I’ll start in about a month.

Here’s a short video from a session last week. I am still experimenting with the best way to make vids from my new camera, and I’m not there yet. The vid was shot in 1080, but for now I could only export it in 720. I also figured out how to remove the black border…but only after I’d completed this vid, and I didn’t have time to redo it. But yeah, future videos should be better.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyycrxixmtY[/youtube]
Last edited by C-Fan on 14 Aug 2012 09:06, edited 1 time in total.

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 20 Mar 2012 15:49

1. Great job in Circle Comp in Vegas!
2. In my opinion Liz has the best bags. I've been having her make all the club bags for the last year or so and I get so many compliments on them. She's basically the official RCS bag stitcher at this point.
3. I have been having so much difficulty getting footage into a video editor, I feel your pain. I have 3 vids ready to cut as soon as I can get them loaded up. Stupid .MOV files.
Justin Dale
Videos

worldbound
BSOS Beast

Post by worldbound » 21 Mar 2012 08:49

Ken, I know exactly how to fix your premiere problems about the black border and 1080p . I'm at work, but when I get home ill make a small tutorial for you :)
Mike Green
footblog

worldbound
BSOS Beast

Post by worldbound » 22 Mar 2012 12:19

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsRrxGQFa5E[/youtube]
As promised. If you notice something that I could improve on let me know. Thanks! If you want more of these I can make as many as you want. Sorry for the constant effects. I was messing around with ScreenFlow to see what it can do.
Mike Green
footblog

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 04 Apr 2012 13:57

Haven’t been great about updating my blog lately, due to a variety of factors. Mostly just because work has been crazy, so I haven’t had the time. In good news, I’ve been playing regularly, and I’ve gotten off the injury wagon. There was a month there where everytime I played I’d come back too hard and get hurt. I’m still probably playing too hard, but at least I’ve stopped the injury trend. Hope that didn’t just jinx me.

Mike’s tutorial was helpful, but I’m still having a variety of video issues. That’s one of the reasons I haven’t posted in here…I haven’t been able to make videos of my sessions, and I kinda don’t like making posts in here without video. For some reason though I’m optimistic I’ll figure it out, and in the future I should be able to make vids of my sessions. The video project I’m most nervous about, is my fearless video project.

Basically, my fearless video project had really bad timing. It started off with me just trying to get a single clip of 10 unique fearless on video. Once I did, I tried for a few more, and then my (Flip) camera died. At this point I could have made a video no problem, though it would have been short. For Christmas I got a Vado camera which was defective…but I hit a couple more 10 fearless on vid with it before returning it. I replaced it with a Bloggie which had autofocus and design issues, which I still used to get a couple more clips. Now, I finally have a camera I like (despite adobe issues), which I used to film one more ten fearless over the weekend. So my problem now, is that I want to edit a single video using clips from four different cameras, shot in a variety of formats/speeds and in some cases alignments. I thought I could use a kludge to convert the difficult files into a usable format, but for the longer clips it produces a weird fight club ripple, which is very distracting. If I can at least figure out how to fix that aspect of the kludge, I think I’ll just go ahead and make the video even if it comes out in lesser video quality than I’d like, just so I can be done with the project. Because realistically, this should be the only and last time I ever have to deal with a project using four different camera’s clips. The other challenge I’m going to have with this video project, is that most of my clips are 10 seconds long and shot with a tripod, so I’ll try and mix in some big tricks and other shots to spice things up visually. I’ll deal with that once I’ve solved the problem of making my clips compatible and usable.

Working on 10 fearless reminded me a lot of when I was working on beast combos last year. In both cases, it was tough to hit the first one. Then I got obsessed and worked on them for a couple months, and hit enough for a video. And in both cases I came to a point where I decided to stop, but it was tough to flush it out of my system even after making that decision. Like, I’d go into a session with the idea of working on strings or unusuals, but by the end of the session I’d find myself grinding on beasts/10 fearless. It’s funny how you have to wean yourself off that mentality, because you've made it so automatic and obsessive.

In an earlier post I had commented how it was a goal of mine to work on building up a footbag scene in Denver. Last week, two promising developments occurred, which have me optimistic for this spring/summer. The first, is that my friend Dan Chick is retiring from hockey. Dan is a net/takraw friend of mine, who worked on building a net scene with me last year. He occasionally had conflicts with his hockey leagues, so the fact that he is now hanging up his skates means he’ll have more time and energy for playing net and takraw. The other promising development from last weekend, is that I finally met Cody Spillman. I found Cody’s information on footbag.org over a year ago, but due to work travel and all the tournaments I attended last year, we never met up. Once spring started this year, I tracked him down again and we finally got to meet. Cody and his friend Kyle are in their mid-20s, and are very enthusiastic about freestyle. They don’t have freestyle shoes yet and had never seen freestyle in person, but could do toe stalls and the occasional clipper. After meeting with them, I think we’re going to play regularly, and it’ll only be a matter of time before they get shoes. We got an impromptu game of foursquare which was fun, but mostly just circle kicked. I’m hoping they can make it out this weekend to give takraw a try. I’m kinda hoping they get hooked on freestyle, but at this point it’d be sweet to have more players in takraw as well. In any case, I’m optimistic about the development of a scene in Denver.

Since my last post, USO has been officially announced. I was hoping it would happen before Worlds, cause competing at USO would be good practice for it. That said, I’m just glad it’s happening; props to Sole Purpose for taking on such a worthy project. I’m thinking about combining USO with a three day weekend trip with my girlfriend. She’s never seen me compete, Portland is a fun town beyond footbag, and competition is only one day. USO is far enough in the future it’s kind of hard to set goals now. My main goal this year is to make routine finals at Worlds, so I wouldn’t be surprised if my USO goals are affected by how I end up doing at Worlds. That said, it’d be pretty awesome to win USO once, just so I could say I was at one time the US champ. I came pretty close to it last year, and I figure if I work hard and get a little lucky, it’s not out of the realm of possibility this year either. Might as well dream big anyway, especially if it helps motivate me to train harder.

Here’s a clip of a run from over the weekend:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11vB4d1anE4[/youtube]
Last edited by C-Fan on 14 Aug 2012 09:11, edited 1 time in total.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 04 Apr 2012 16:09

I'm not sure about the Fight Club reference, but the waviness sounds like it might be interlacing. I'm not exactly sure of the cause or anything, although a quick Google search would probably tell you. It's a problem in a lot of footbag videos I've watched. If this is the problem, you simply right click the video clip, select "field options" (if you're using a recent version of Premiere) and "always deinterlace".

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 09 Apr 2012 11:40

Thanks for the advice Erik. The weird ripple I was getting was in WMM and not Adobe, and I couldn’t find a deinterlace option in WMM. I kept trying to process that clip though, and in a lucky stroke it came through ripple-free finally. So now I have all the clips I need for my fearless video, in a format that I think I’ll be able to work with. This week I’m going to try and do a test video with all my fearless clips, just to see if Adobe can process and export the project without visual problems. If that works, my next step will be to find a song for the video and then start with the real editing. It’ll be a relief once this project is over, since I won’t have to deal with multiple video formats in a single project in the future.

While I still haven’t figured out how to directly work with my Samsung clips in Adobe, I’ve played around with some workarounds. The best I’ve come up with so far is to run the clips through WMM, and then work in adobe. It’s not perfect, but it still exports in 720 HD and I can edit the clips. I’m hoping this workaround will enable me to complete my fearless video, and to also reduce some of the backlog of footage I currently have. On a related note, I’ve resolved to take a filming hiatus for the next couple weeks. During that time I will continue to play, and I’ll make videos using my backlog footage. Once I’ve killed off all my old footage, I’ll start filming again. I’m hoping a side benefit of this filming hiatus will be that I will work on my basics. Because whenever the camera is going, I invariably get tempted into trying hard tricks/combos. So hopefully the next couple weeks will see my flip spinning improve and my video backlog disappear.

I had a pretty vivid footbag dream last night. It started in NYC, where I somehow ran into Takumi as I was on my way to a NYFA session. I asked him if he was going to join us to play, but he had other plans and had to decline. I asked him by way of small talk what he had been hitting lately, and he casually responded that he’s been going for 10 add tricks lately, instead of working on combos. I asked him what he had hit, and he air-shredded triple spinning blender for me. Later in my dream, I’m riding in the back of a minivan that looks like it’s from the 70s. It’s filled with US footbaggers on our way to USO. I’m talking to Chris Dean, and I try to one up him in conversation my mentioning that Takumi had recently hit triple spinning blender. Instead of being impressed, Chris responds that Syzmon Kalwaks hit that on a Polish video recently. A couple other footbaggers in the van nod in agreement, and nobody seems that impressed. Humbled, I think to myself that I should at least try and hit double spinning blender, since now triple spinning blender isn’t that impressive. Weird.

In more direct USO news, I’ve gotten the time off from work already, and I’m planning on buying plane tix this week. I’m also planning on booking my Worlds hotel room. I really enjoy doing stuff like this, because it makes the events you look forward to seem that much more realistic and close. Like they’re no longer abstract fantasies (“next year at Worlds I’m going to…”), and are now actual events which require logistical planning.

I played footbag twice this weekend. Saturday I had a good solo freestyle session which yielded a new pseudo-beast (if you give inspinning an add…regardless, stylish new sick3) and a few combos I was surprised by. Sunday was our first net/takraw session of the year. Dan made it out, as did Cody and Kyle. Though the latter two had never played net or takraw, they took to it pretty quickly and had a good time. My main goal for the session was to not overdo it with spiking, and I was good about this. This morning I awoke without net legs, though I do have a bruise on my inner right ankle from shanking a bunch of sets with a hard takraw ball. I’m hoping next week to start a little earlier, and have a mini hack/freestyle session with Cody and Kyle before we play net/takraw with everybody else.

I’ll close this out with a short vid I threw together as an experiment. It’s footage from my Samsung, converted through WMM and edited on my Adobe. It’s a pretty rough cut since I did it as an experiment to see if it’d export at all. Now that I know it does, I will put a bit more effort into making the cuts and transitions cleaner in the future. Regardless, it feels good to post a video with multiple clips again:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eErl1MARtPQ[/youtube]
Last edited by C-Fan on 14 Aug 2012 09:16, edited 1 time in total.

Zjeezy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Zjeezy » 16 Apr 2012 08:01

Happy Birthday Ken!
zach jahner

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 19 Apr 2012 08:39

The big news on my end is I finally released my fearless video. Regular readers of my blog know this project presented a slew of technical challenges, and therefore know what a relief it is for me to finally be done with it. At the end of the day I wasn't able to include all the clips I wanted, but I'm happy with how the final product turned out. I was able to include all my 10 fearless clips, and the other clips I was able to incorporate turned out well and provided the variety I knew the video needed. Beyond the relief of no longer having to deal with the technical challenges of the project, I also feel a larger sense of completion now the video is done. The whole project started with me trying to get a single combo of 10 fearless cleanly on video, and then it took on a life of it's own as I challenged myself through the winter to get more. For the last 4+ months I was either directly or indirectly motivated by this project every time I played. Even when I was satisfied with the number of 10 fearless combos I had, I continued to push myself hard by trying to get some hard sick 3s and new tricks. The whole experience pushed me hard and was a good challenge, but it's also nice that it's over. My last couple sessions I've just been working on stamina and form, which has been a nice change.

I was a little disappointed the fearless video got so little feedback on modified, but in the grand scheme of things that's not really important. I challenged myself with a difficult goal, I accomplished it multiple times, and I made a video record of it for me to enjoy in the future. I feel the same way about my beast video. Both challenges are things I wasn't sure I could do (or do again), so getting them on video in a form that I enjoy watching feels good. While I still feel motivated and physically good at age 32, I know that one day in the next few years I won't be able to play at the level I want to anymore. When I get to that point, it'll be nice to have videos of beasts, fearless, and dropless routines to watch and reminisce over.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4N28lKBt88[/youtube]
C-Fan wrote: My main goal for the session was to not overdo it with spiking, and I was good about this. This morning I awoke without net legs,
Our weekly net/takraw session last week was rained out, which was actually a good thing. Because it turns out I actually did get net legs from the session the week before that. Having last Sunday off helped my legs recover, and bought me time to make the Fearless video. In good news, my friend Dan bought a new takraw ball which is softer than what we used last week, so that should help. I'm still a bit nervous about playing net before Worlds, since I don't want net legs to slow down my training for routines. We're scheduled to play this weekend, so we'll see how my legs react. I'm going to really try not to spike at all this time around.

In other news, I've been helping the Japanese footbag association with their twitter account. In an effort to increase membership, they've made a twitter account where they post things including footbag history. I've been providing them with history on things like furious set, and the origins of legbeater, which is fun for me and hopefully helps them get more interest too. I have to say I'm really happy the Japanese scene is going strong. The tsunami/quake/meltdown disaster happened just over a year ago. There was a very real chance that the Japanese Footbag Champs and the Tokyo Shredder Gathering (Japan's two oldest tournaments, which have happened since 2003) might break their streaks. Thankfully all the Japanese footbaggers were OK, and they kept both streaks going. I still feel thankful we were able to raise over $800 from modified through a fundraiser video, since that enabled them to hold JFC that year. I'm super proud of them.

I still haven't booked my hotel for Worlds or USO...need to do that this weekend. In good news, I pulled the trigger and bought my flights for USO. I'm making it a long weekend with my girlfriend, so I will probably only play on Saturday during comps and right afterward. Should still be fun to see everybody, and of course it's always exciting competing at a major tournament like that.
Last edited by C-Fan on 14 Aug 2012 09:18, edited 1 time in total.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 19 Apr 2012 14:35

Are you still planning on writing a footbag book? You must be one of the few freestylers still in the scene to have all of that knowledge and history in your head. I'd love to read more about things I've heard about but don't really know many details.

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 19 Apr 2012 17:59

Sorry for not responding to your fearless video here on the forums. I usually try not to post unless I really have something unique to add... I should look into erring on the side of being too vocal and redundant!

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Post by CIC flurry » 20 Apr 2012 22:12

Sometimes I think about how cool it is that you document so well. You'll have so much to look back on. Makes me wanna bust out the camera when I start playing regularly again. I barely have anything. I've been playing so long, and only have a handful of vids/clips.