Fanzine

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
sen
Post Master General

Re: Fanzine

Post by sen » 21 Nov 2012 18:45

That 7 looked so smooth and effortless Ken. NICE! And that's great about the shred partner. I'd be stoked if I found out there was a player in my town and I just randomly found out. HA! With my luck one will appear here in the next couple months just in time for me to move... Anyway, enjoy your holiday!

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 24 Nov 2012 14:21

sen wrote:And that's great about the shred partner. !
Yeah, I'm hoping that playing with her will help her get better, help me keep my temper, and also work on my consistency. I'm also hoping that when she meets the other footbagger in town (guy who bought lavers, but who I haven't seen much of this summer) it'd motivate him to get better too.

Decent amount of footbag lately. Last weekend I played Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Then, because of Thanksgiving, I played on Wednesday and Thursday. I took off Friday, and played today despite the cold and wind. It was forecast to be sunny and 68, but instead was grey overcast and probably in the low 50s. Tomorrow I've organized a group session...hope the weather holds up. Figure the worst case scenario is that we play foursquare in long pants.

A week ago I hit this beast, and for some reason assumed it was flipside.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXAL3IGRSOM[/youtube]

After thinking about it for a while, I'm not sure that I'd actually hit that on "strong" side. In fact, I'm pretty sure I hadn't. So my main goal in today's session was to hit it on the other side:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz3Dqw970Ss[/youtube]

It was overcast, so my camera didn't shoot it in great quality. But yeah, that's my 6th beast this winter (7th if you count the x-dex one), when my goal was to hit 2. I bet I could sneak in a couple more, but should probably focus on other goals for a bit. I should work on my double spins, since I can tell they've deteriorated recently.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 30 Nov 2012 17:51

In the midst of my worst stretch ever of business travel. In a 4 week period, I'm on the road 3 of those 4 weeks. The good news, is that my final week of travel kicks off on Sunday, and then I'm done with this project. I was in Folsom last week, so no footbag. I took a half day off today, and got in a solo session dedicated mostly to nemesis and 69 practice, with some gyro practice thrown in at the end.

Bulk of the session was spent on nemesis. I realized I have two usable ways of doing furious, neither which is particularly good yet. The first method is basically a whirling set, after which I open my hips for the second dex and try and plant that foot fast. This method is more comfortable for me, but I'm pretty sure doesn't give me any height. So I can squeak in janis and fury, but there's not much room left for anything else. My other method is basically doing a quantum set from clipper. This feels more legit, but is frustratingly inconsistent and still doesn't give me much height to work with. I should probably invest more time in this method though. Anyway, the "highlight" of my nemesis practice was hitting a very "the" nemesis. I had done this a couple years ago too, but it was in bad light with a terrible camera, so who knows how bad that was. Hitting a "the" one on my HD camera felt like a minor milestone, though obviously I'd much prefer to hit a clean one. This one was hit with method 1, for what it's worth.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p4J5PDjL7o[/youtube]

I also put in some time working on 69, but no luck there either. It'd be nice to hit either at least once, legitly, but who knows. I don't want to discount them, and they're called "challenges" for a reason. All I know, is that I won't hit them if I don't try, so it's probably not horrible to dedicate a few of these winter sessions to them. Again, I know neither of these tricks will make me a better player. I'd almost certainly get more payoff by working on my old spinning goals, including stuff like this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeTDjcUNL50[/youtube]

Sad I won't be participating in the Joulukalenteri this year, but work and personal life are making it real hard. Thanks to everybody who is participating though; I look forward to seeing your efforts!

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 02 Dec 2012 19:57

In a hotel room in Grand Coulee, Washington now. This is my last business trip for a while, and I can't wait til its done. I like business travel, but 3 trips in a 4 week period is a lot to deal with. I haven't been bringing my footbag gear on these trips, but the weekend weather in Denver has been working out great, so I'm playing weekends.

Friday I spent the whole session working on nemesis (see last post), so Saturday I promised myself I wouldn't spend any time chasing dream tricks. Instead, I tried to hit a bunch of drills, since I figured it'd be better for my stamina, and it'd also force me to work my flipside some. The weather was perfect, which helped me push past soreness in my hips. I ended up hitting a couple new drills, and rehitting some drills which I hadn't done in ages, which felt good.

Put together a small vid of them on my flight:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k41zeic7sQ0[/youtube]

Hopefully I can put together a video or two more together while I'm in the hotel this week.

Zjeezy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Zjeezy » 02 Dec 2012 22:43

I really enjoy how you seal drills with difficult combos/tricks like mobius or blurry whirl b2b. The flurry legbeater combo really stood out to me, I have been struggling with barrage-legbeater-rpt. I feel like you and I have similar drills/game, yours is just better. Watching your videos makes me think about what I should aim for and where I need to direct my game. Next time we are at the same jam, you are the person I am looking to play with. But only if you are wearing a Pistons jersey.
zach jahner

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 21 Dec 2012 18:23

Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

zeroman13
Post Master General

Post by zeroman13 » 02 Jan 2013 03:57

I'm liking the vids and trick combos a lot Ken. Wouldn't mind seeing a vid with some longer runs and lots of variety that I know you are capable of. You should come visit AZ again. It's been awhile.
Wasabi wrote:Footbag is not materialistic; it's about challenging yourself and having fun at the same time.
Josh M.
My Website
Pm me for details about Munster Bags!

worldbound
BSOS Beast

Post by worldbound » 03 Jan 2013 21:43

^
Mike Green
footblog
kicking since Mar 27, 2011

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 04 Jan 2013 23:18

Long time no post. Part of me is posting just because it's embarrassing to have 4 unanswered posts in your blog, and part of me is posting because I'm coming up on some milestones. Before we get to any of that though, a few quick responses to those who posted:

1. Zach- thanks for the very nice compliment. I agree that we have some similar tastes in our game/trick selection. You definitely get the style edge though. I'd also question your assertion that my game is harder. You do some concepts effortlessly, that I couldn't even try (e.g. blender to spins). You'd be surprised how many links that you find easy are near impossible for me.

2. Crowley: I wasn't all that impressed with that video. He has surprisingly good passing ability for somebody with small hands, but his competition looked either like they were going easy on him, or they were terrible. If there's a guy who's 4 foot 5 on the court, with no hops...there's no way he should ever get a rebound.

3. Josh: Stoked to see you're back in the game! I hope we can shred at some point this year, be it in Arizona or Montreal. Put out some video once you get your feet back under you.

Onto the blog post...

One of the main reasons I haven't posted here in a while, is simply that I haven't been playing much. I was in Georgia for 5 days at the end of the year, and the week before that it was too cold for footbag. All excuses aside, I was also making a conscious effort to give my body a little time off. The last few years I've pushed my body pretty hard, and I worry sometimes that it'll catch up to me. A month off in the winter is probably a good investment. Now that the new year has started, and a Worlds location and date have been announced, I'm going to start getting back into playing again. I've resurrected my old health spreadsheet, which means I'm now monitoring my health and eating better. I hope to add exercise and footbag to that regimen in short order.

A few notable milestones I noticed recently:

1. It's been over 1 month since I posted in my blog. I'm fairly certain this is a record for me. I'm not proud of this, and will strive to avoid it in the future, even if it means making a post without highlights.

2. In less than 3 weeks, it will be my 10 year anniversary of posting on Modified. Holy crap. It's notable to me that I've been coming to the same website and participating for 10 years. Other than the New York Times website, I can't think of any other site I've visited this regularly, and for this long. It's strange to think that when I joined modified, I was a high school teacher in Japan, logging onto the internet from the computer lab. A lot has changed since then.

3. The other cool milestone I recently hit, is that my YouTube channel has now surpassed 250,000 views. Most of my videos get around 20 views, while my better edited/promoted ones are lucky to crack 100. I think my most viewed video is my extreme hackysack one, which is really just a random clip I never promoted, and labeled that way hoping people would stumble upon it. Anyway, I think it's cool that I've put out as much video as I have, and that apparently a bunch of people have watched over the years.

Worlds has been announced for Montreal this summer, and I'm excited already. I've asked for the time off work already, and am looking into flights and everything. Part of my excitement is that I really like Montreal, and haven't been back in a while. The other piece of it though, is that I'm excited for worlds in North America. The last time I went to a worlds in North Am was 2010 in Oakland. I ended up doing pretty well, but I wasn't able to prepare as well as I would have liked, since I was moving the week before or after it. I put a lot of time and effort into preparing for Worlds 2012, but somehow never fully got over my jet lag, and feel that hurt my performance. So given that my life situation will be more settled this year leading up to Worlds than it was in 2010, and given that I won't have to deal with jet lag, I feel like I have no excuse but to do well at Worlds. Especially if I train hard. So that's my plan. Start working on stamina and routines as soon as possible. I already have 2 front runners for routine songs this year, and I've decided that I'm only going to prepare one routine for Worlds. I'm hoping that the spreadsheet will keep me on track with my training.

It's getting late, so I'm going to go to bed. I'll leave you with a clip from my last session, which was probably 2 or 3 weeks ago. That session was notable mostly because I hit my first few flip maelstroms. This wasn't my best one, but I picked the clip because it was my only time getting it BSOS, and it was one of my longer runs from the day (it was cold!).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtSYd0yEP8I[/youtube]

Forecast for the next 2 days is sunny, but with highs around 40 degrees. If it's not too windy/cold, I may try and get in a session, but it might be pushing it. I will likely join a gym next week, so hopefully my progress in the next few months won't be as dependent on the weather.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 05 Jan 2013 10:46

Congrats on the milestones Ken - 10 years is a long time...and plenty has changed since then. I remember you saying some time ago you would like to write a book about footbag - have you made any plans for that?

I am hoping I can make it to Montreal this year.I think it's very difficult to beat jetlag and compete at a high level, it is always better to have some preparation time, but of course in footbag you have to have a job and your job only lets you take so many days off...

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 22 Jan 2013 15:18

Quick snapshot of where I am with footbag.

1. I still haven't joined a gym, so I'm not playing during the week. The weather has been good enough on weekends though, that I'm playing on weekends at least. This is better than nothing, but I think it also makes it hard for me to improve my stamina or flexibility. I should probably join a gym...I just don't want to just yet.

2. Starting January 1st, I resurrected my old health spreadsheet. In a nutshell, I'm now tracking a series of health indicators with the hope that tracking them will encourage me to adopt better habits. I did something similar last year leading up to Worlds, and I thought it was beneficial then. The categories I'm tracking are:

-hours of sleep. The idea being that I'll play better and be less prone to injury if I get around 8 hours a night.
-soda/caffeine intake. Hoping that cutting back on these will make me less caffeine reliant when I play.
-meat. Just trying to be more environmental by eating less meat.
-footbag/exercise. Duh.
-alcohol intake. The lower this is, hopefully the faster I heal and the better shape I'll be in.

And a couple other categories which are designed to make me waste less and eat better. I'm only 22 days into this, but it's going well. More than anything, I think having some discipline should help my chances at Worlds this year.

3. Worlds. I'm going for sure, but I still need to figure out a bunch of logistics around it. I hope the Worlds committee posts info on housing soon, or confirms the date are set in stone. I'm putting some pressure on myself with this year's Worlds, for a few reasons. First off, I'm not getting any younger. But that's a reason every year. More compelling of a reason though, is that there's a good chance I won't be able to compete next year, since I'll likely be getting married then. So given the fact that Worlds is back in North America this year and I can for sure go, I really want to give it my best shot. I think my plan is to only develop one routine this year, but get it super solid. I have 2 songs I'm considering right now...ideally I'll select one by the end of the month, and start work on the choreography already.

4. Related to the Worlds stuff, I'm slowly moving away from the winter goals I had set for myself. My winter goals were basically a set of fun challenges which I wanted to achieve, but I knew wouldn't help me prepare for Worlds at all. Now that Worlds have been announced, I want to spend less time on these goals, and more time on stuff that will help me in Montreal. My winter goals didn't turn out the way I expected, but they weren't bad. I didn't hit 69. I didn't hit a clean nemesis, but I did manage to hit a "the" one in HD, which is better than nothing. I didn't hit any of my stated double or triple spinning tricks, but I did manage to hit 3 new 7 adds, and I also hit 5 or 6 new beasts, which I was surprised by. I didn't spend too much time on fearless, but was surprised I didn't break my old record (11). What does this all mean? If I had to guess, I wouldn't be surprised if I chase another 7 or a beast or 69 in the next month. But I'm going to dedicate less time to crazy tricks and more time to juggling, fliers, stamina, and other routine-related goals.

5. I've been struggling with my equipment. Most of my bags have holes, and the ones that don't aren't breaking in fast enough. Luckily I have enough bags that I can rotate through them as I patch up others, but it's frustrating. I'm hoping I can do a better job breaking in my 2 new Hania bags, and at least I have several months before Worlds, but I know that I can't depend on my currently broken in bags because there's no way they survive several months. Moving past bags, my camera has been bugging out more frequently lately. Mostly "card write errors," which means half the time I hit something good in front of the camera, it didn't capture it. And when I do get something on film, I have trouble exporting the files to Adobe to work with. It's gotten to the point where I've pretty much given up making videos, which really sucks. My old Flip camera didn't shoot in great quality, but it was reliable and easy to work with. Very disappointed in my setup. Finally, my g-units are starting to lose tread. They're still playable, but I'm not sure how great they'd do on a slippery gym surface. I should probably mod one of my last 2 remaining pairs and start breaking them in, so I'll have a well-soled, broken in pair for Worlds. I think my plan will be to break them in for the next 2 months, train and compete in them through Worlds, and then right after Worlds go back to my current pair and run them into the ground.

6. I'm likely going to Vegas next week for Worlds. If everything goes well, hopefully Mike Green can meet me there and we can hang out and shred with Evan Gatesman. If we do, I'll try and film. I am going to try to start outsourcing my raw footage to other filmmakers, so at least my footage isn't completely wasted.

Here's a run from one of my shreds last weekend. The weather was amazing, and I managed to hit a good sick 3 for Zeb's shred collabo video. Looking forward to seeing how that turns out.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72TGwBl3AZo[/youtube]

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 22 Jan 2013 18:19

Good luck for the wedding (though it is some time away..)

Too bad about the equipment, though I guess if you get it all fixed/get new things now, they should be in good shape by Worlds. Of course, it's better to have the equipment you are used to, but it doesn't always work that way...

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 26 Jan 2013 18:25

C-Fan wrote: 6. I'm likely going to Vegas next week for Worlds. If everything goes well, hopefully Mike Green can meet me there and we can hang out and shred with Evan Gatesman.
I meant "work," not "worlds." One track mind already...

So yeah, I head out to Vegas tomorrow morning. I'll have Sunday for footbag and hanging out, and then after that it'll be work the rest of the week. But at least the weather will be nice, and I'll get to check into a bunch of places on Foursquare. Mike Green unfortunately can't make it, but it sounds like Skaggs, Evan, and Overbo will all be down to hang out. That'd be awesome.

I got in a shred today, but it was chilly out and never warmed up as much as the forecasters said it would. I set a new personal drifter record. It was only one more than my old record, but it's still an improvement. Plus, now I get to be the sole holder of the record on Jeremy's list...until somebody good with a camera gives it a try. :wink:

I think if I want to hit 69, I'm going to need to stretch out my hips more. They're just not naturally flexible, so I think I'm gonna have to work at it.

Tomorrow on the plane I'm going to listen to look for routine songs on my ipod. It's early, but I think if I want a killer routine at Worlds, I'll need to start early.

Leave you with a random string from my last session:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6iyIMha7UI[/youtube]

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 03 Feb 2013 11:25

Went to Vegas for work last week. Managed to get in a session with Gatesman, Skaggs, and Overbo. It felt so nice to be in a guiltless circle with 4 good players. I feel like that's a rarity these days, at least in America. I didn't film the session because I just wanted to play, but afterwards I filmed Evan and Ben shooting for consecutive records. I'm happy to see Jeremy's video list of records back. I really think that's a project with some merit, so I've been doing my best to help it out. Evan set something like 10 records in one session, and this was after we were done seriously playing. I've been filming some placeholder records, but I'd really be happy if they were all broken. I'm 33... its not like somebody in their prime with a camera couldn't be setting the bar higher.

Work's been kicking my ass lately, and it's still winter, so not too much footbag on my end. I am seriously considering joining a gym soon though, so if that happens hopefully I can start playing more regularly. Maybe do some crosstraining. We've been having nice weekend weather here, so I've managed to play 1-2 times a week, but I know that's not enough to get into good shape for Worlds.

Speaking of which, I'm gonna go get in a shred before I have to go to a Superb Owl party. Here's a clip from yesterday, just so this isn't a text only entry:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI2q5QoTjBc[/youtube]

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 04 Feb 2013 18:43

Poked around YouTube a bit tonight searching for an old Jorden video where he hits ps ripwalk (frontside). I couldn't find it, but I found this old classic Jorden/Johnny video. Johnny's part from 7:32 to 8:04 makes my brain melt:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tThQmuiy1m4[/youtube]

I've been thinking about breaking in a new pair of shoes. My current pair is beautifully broken in, but the tread is wearing down on the toes. This doesn't generally affect me, but I have no idea what the playing surfaces will be like at USO or Worlds. I only have 2 pairs left of new G-Units, so it's scary for me to cut them up. I guess in an ideal world, I cut up a new pair, spend the next few months breaking them in, use them for Worlds, and then switch back to some of my currently broken in shoes.

I'm also thinking I should get a new bag for Worlds. The ones I'm breaking in now are OK, but not as nice as my Waylon bag with amaretta from last year. Should look into getting a new one of those.

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 05 Feb 2013 09:03

C-Fan wrote:I guess in an ideal world, I cut up a new pair, spend the next few months breaking them in, use them for Worlds, and then switch back to some of my currently broken in shoes.
I did this last year and it worked out great. Actually switched to new ones right around green cup, and proceeded to drill my routine in them until worlds.

also, great video. johnny's shuffle is soo crisp.
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 05 Feb 2013 15:37

def one of my fav videos. ive been watching a lot of jordens juggling chanel too.

Jorden
Retro Athlete

Post by Jorden » 06 Feb 2013 14:39

C-Fan wrote:Poked around YouTube a bit tonight searching for an old Jorden video where he hits ps ripwalk (frontside). I couldn't find it
http://juggling.tv/5648
Jorden Moir

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 17 Feb 2013 12:16

Work really has been kicking my ass lately. So much so, that I succumbed to a really bad head cold. I'm on day 10 or so of it, but I think I've finally turned the corner. One good thing about work though is that they let me telecommute, so I didn't go into the office for 4 of the 5 days last week, and didn't use up that much of my sick leave. On the flip of that though, I wonder if this cold has lingered because I was working from home instead of hardcore resting. Either way, it meant I didn't play any footbag from the Superbowl until yesterday, which is like a 10 or 11 day stretch. The weather was super nice yesterday, so I made a point to play. God it felt good to play. My breathing wasn't great and my stamina took a bad hit, but it just felt so liberating to play again, even if I couldn't play hard. I decided to focus on drills, since I figured they are a good combination of 1. bothsided and 2. short. Cause frankly, I really didn't have the energy to go much beyond 8 contacts anyway.

My video editing software decided to play ball, so I decided to make a video. Feel like I hadn't made a video in months, so that was also kind of rewarding. Doing drills and making a drill video was inspired by Anz's recent series of drill videos, as well as Taishi's latest drill video. So yeah, here's what I managed:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WeSKkfLC0s[/youtube]

Didn't notice til I posted here, but the default frame from that video looks like I'm hitting a butterfly like a foot off the ground. I wonder what trick I was hitting there?

I still need to mod and break in a new pair of shoes. Should really do that this weekend.

In potentially great footbag news, it sounds like work wants to send me to Hoover Dam for a month, starting 2 weeks from now. That'd mean I'd get to avoid March in Denver (likely too cold for outdoor footbag) and swap it for March in Vegas (minimum of outdoor footbag on weekends, and possibly after work on weekdays). I'd also be pretty much guaranteed to shred with Evan Gatesman on weekends. If that happens, I'd try to combine shred with a training regimen for Worlds. Maybe even practice routines.

It's nice out today as well, so I'm gonna head out and shred. I think today I may skip filming and just work on stamina and basics.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 24 Feb 2013 14:29

Haven't been playing much footbag lately, due to a combination of work, weather and illness. But hopefully I can turn that around soon, since I'll be in warmer climes for the next few weeks, and I finally feel like I've turned the corner on this cold.

It's dumping snow on us now in Denver, but in 2 days I'll be flying to Las Vegas, to do a 27 day detail at Hoover Dam. I'm looking forward to trading snowy cold weather for sun and temps in the 60s. I'm really hoping I'll be able to get in shreds after work, and at the very least be able to shred outdoors with Gatesman on weekends. I really want to start getting in shape for Worlds, and to even start preparing routine elements already. Chances are I won't go to Worlds next summer, so that's all the motivation I need to give this year my best shot.

I'm hopelessly behind in my footage backlog, and some of the more recent stuff is in a format that I have trouble editing. So I recently reached out to Jay Boychuk, and sent him some footage of a shred I had with Flash. I told him I didn't care about the editing; I just didn't want the footage to go to waste. Well, Jay ended up doing a bang up job of the video which totally exceeded my expectations. Here's what he made:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rGyIs5It_s[/youtube]

Thanks Jay!

I still haven't modded a new pair of G-Units yet, but maybe I can do that when I get to Vegas, as I'll have more free time in the evenings when I get there.