Fanzine

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Hiroshige TPP

Post by C-Fan » 22 Jun 2020 12:06

Nice, top post painting!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plum_Park_in_Kameido  
cammel wrote:
20 Jun 2020 13:42
illusioning symposium eggbeater?? So cool.
That trick is called "chainsaw massacre."  Definitely one of the cooler downtime tricks in my opinion, but such a bitch to clean all the dexes.
boyle wrote:
20 Jun 2020 17:30
does that mean there are some Ivan bags floating around in the postal system somewhere, then he's sent you more, or the package ended up going back to him?
I honestly don't know.  I told Ivan that if the first shipment magically shows up on my doorstep at some point, I'll send him payment for the extra bags.  At this stage though I think we're treating it like a lost parcel and Ivan is going to ask for insurance compensation for it. 
Muffinman wrote:
21 Jun 2020 16:11
I am curious how BAP induction(s) will work. Though who can argue that Jakub Worek should be baptized?
Me too.  I think the bar needs to be very high, especially given the format.  Anybody can look decent on video since you have unlimited attempts to film.  So to make BAP this year, I think you'd really need to showcase a super high level.  I'd also expect they'd factor in a bit your past history playing at tournaments as well.  Looking at the registration, I think the names that jump out for me shredwise are Worek, Rafal, Dante, and Hogan.  Probably in that order.
Muffinman wrote:
21 Jun 2020 16:11
Why did you decline BAP? Just the TLDR is fine if you don't want to write a bit thing.
OK, let's give this a shot. 

I think it's a great goal for players to push their limits and become the best player they can.  That's a worthy and respectable goal.  Many times, a player achieves that goal and then BAP recognizes them.  That's totally fine, but where things got problematic in the late 90s and early 2000s was when up-and-coming players started confusing and conflating BAP invites as validation of them reaching their goal.  Players started focusing on getting a BAP invite instead of focusing on becoming the best footbagger they could be.  This was doubly frustrating when you'd see scenarios like:

:arrow: A player becoming super good, but not getting a BAP invite for several years or ever (Olaf, Ricky Moran, Suderman, Justin Dale, several others).
:arrow: A player getting a BAP invite, even if they weren't as high level as other non-BAP shredders (Abshire, Lasse, Toby Robinson, etc.)

The original idea of BAP was for players to want to be super good, and then BAP acknowledging that feat once they achieved it.  When that got flipped on its head (players wanting to be BAP more than wanting to be good) it became problematic.  I also saw firsthand how much stress it needlessly created for so many young players when they'd validate their self-worth based on whether BAP acknowledged them or not.  At the end of the day, why does the opinion of like 50 strangers matter more than your own opinion of how hard/fun your own game feels?  It doesn't make sense and it didn't seem healthy for the development of the game.  My personal experience confirmed this, as I only really blossomed as a player once I stopped caring about other people's perception of my game.  Accepting BAP in 03, 04, or 05 would have felt hypocritical since I only reached that level of play BECAUSE I stopped caring about other people's opinions.

Flash forward to 2020 and BAP feels a lot less consequential.  I think historically we'll look at BAP as a force that helped raise the technical level of shred in the 1990s, and in the 2000s probably pushed some players to crazy levels at the cost of also making several aspiring players burn out prematurely.  I don't think it had much of an impact in the 2010s and expect that continues in the 2020s.  The challenges footbag faces in the 2020s are very different than in the 1990s.  I think we need to worry more about the low numbers of new players much more than we need to worry about pushing the technical bounds of the sport.  If anything, you could argue that the crazy technical levels of the sport now HURT our ability to attract new players.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Worlds Prep Snapshot

Post by C-Fan » 24 Jun 2020 11:21

Just 4 days ago Dan wrote:
boyle wrote:
20 Jun 2020 17:30
There's getting to be a decent amount of players registered, I think it's 25 in most events now. I would still like to see a few more in the top tier though. Hopefully gets some last minute additions like you Penskes and your Vasek, Milan etc.
I've been monitoring the registration page with similar hopes, and I was really happy to see both the total numbers go up (25 to 32, or 28% increase) as well as the addition of some heavy hitters, notably Vasek.  We now have the past 3 World champs for routines in the mix as well as Landes, Simku, and Taishi who have several top 5 finishes amongst them.  I'm already super excited to see what the top routines in finals look like since the format basically guarantees everybody is going to go dropless and hard.

Things are going pretty well for me on the Worlds front.  My shoes are holding up well still.  I'm playing every few days to stay in shape.  I've already submitted entries for Shred Off and Sick 3.  I have very respectable safety entries banked for routines and Shred30.  I finally have my new Ivan bags, though I'm struggling a bit to break them in.  I have some rough ideas for Sick3 and Routines finals and feel confident I'll be able to hit decent entries for them.  If anything, I'm a little restless that I can't start filming for Sick3 or Routines for another 2 weeks.  I need to be smart though and use this time to break in my bags, build my stamina up some, and at all costs avoid injury.

boyle
Post Master General

Re: Fanzine

Post by boyle » 25 Jun 2020 02:53

Exciting to see some bigger names coming in. What would you have your seeding? Say top 12ish.

I think you've got an advantage because you've been putting out so much content for so long so you're quite comfortable in the video environment. You've been playing enough recently that you're in a decent shape so that will be interesting to see how you go.

Good to see lots of Colombians involved, great to see Brayan Stiven in the list, I don't think he's played that much lately. Good signs for next year.

Looks like no routines for Mr Simku. Rafal Kaleta in the same boat. Interesting that Vasek is only in for routines.

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 25 Jun 2020 04:29

boyle wrote:
25 Jun 2020 02:53
Looks like no routines for Mr Simku. Rafal Kaleta in the same boat. Interesting that Vasek is only in for routines.
I see Simku in routines, I talked to Vasek and confirmed only routines, told me Shred30 is mine this year, LOL
Mathieu Gauthier

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Landes or Simku for Shred30

Post by C-Fan » 25 Jun 2020 20:09

acxel22 wrote:
25 Jun 2020 04:29
I talked to Vasek and confirmed only routines
I see a lot of people who are registering for some but not all events.  I totally get it, and I've done the same in past years myself.  In some years I had placed a lot of importance in a singular goal (e.g. dropless at Worlds, win a major, etc.)  so it didn't make sense to enter other events.  Other years I looked at the scheduling of events and made decisions based on how I thought my body would hold up over the course of a tournament.  This year I'm entering in all events because the format makes it easy for me to do so, but I definitely don't value all events equally and I know which ones I'd drop first if I had to.
acxel22 wrote:
25 Jun 2020 04:29
told me Shred30 is mine this year, LOL
Looking at the currently registered players I'd probably bet Landes or Simku wins it.  Heck, even if Vasek were competing in Shred30 I don't know that I'd automatically give him the edge over those two.  I think the top score is going to land in the 270 range.  That may sound high, but a dropless, fully unique run of 31 contacts with an add ratio of 4.35 would do it.  21 fours and 10 fives gets you there.

Don't think somebody like this could pull that off?

boyle wrote:
What would you have your seeding? Say top 12ish.,
It's so hard to say, since this format is such a big wild card.  Performing under pressure and having a high performance basement no longer count for anything.  All that matters now is how high your ceiling is, and can you hit that ceiling in the time/attempts you have before the deadline?  I bet we're going to get 1-2 unexpected players "sneaking" into Finals on the strength of a creative routine they hit on attempt #143.  I'm not complaining about the format either; I think we're going to get great routines because of it.  I'm just saying it's going to make seeding and predicting really hard.
boyle wrote:
Good to see lots of Colombians involved, great to see Brayan Stiven in the list,

Nice, I was wondering if that was him.  Yeah, I can only imagine how disappointing it was for the Colombian scene to finally win the historic Worlds bid, and then have this pandemic come out of nowhere and snatch it away.  At least they're getting to participate in it.  
boyle wrote:

I think you've got an advantage...so that will be interesting to see how you go.
Thanks Dan.  I've been weirdly zen about the whole thing.  On one hand, it'd mean a lot to me to do well at Worlds.  And honestly, this year's format may give me my best shot at doing well.  On the other hand, I already feel like I've won regardless of where I actually end up in the final standings.  For the past 3 years I've had the nagging, gnawing feeling that I'd never get to compete at Worlds again and that my final memory of competition would forever be my horrible finals routine in Portland.  Now, that's no longer the case, and I feel like a weight has come off my shoulders.  Even if I finish in 8th place, as long as I submit a routine I'm proud of I will feel a sense of peace.

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 26 Jun 2020 03:16

shred 30 also got mr mathias blau, I would bet on him as Landes is very busy this month, and Dominik has been away from the game for a while

Altough I got no idea if Mathias has been playing much lately

EDIT: Honza just signed up, good luck everyone 8O
Mathieu Gauthier

LinoSphere
BSOS Beast

Post by LinoSphere » 27 Jun 2020 08:41

Hey Ken, I'd thought I'd leave this here as I know you're not on Facebook (me neither):
There was a misunderstanding between Sergio Garcia and me before I updated the website, and he never noticed the information on the website was not the way he wanted it to be.
It is only required to show or say the round's code once per recording session, not in every single clip. That's why the majority of the videos are the way they are.
Solid first round, looking forward to the next submissions!
Matthias Lino Schmidt

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 27 Jun 2020 14:42

LinoSphere wrote:
27 Jun 2020 08:41
It is only required to show or say the round's code once per recording session, not in every single clip. That's why the majority of the videos are the way they are.

Ah, haha that makes sense then why very few people were doing it. Thanks for the clarification.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Shred Off and Shred30 Thoughts

Post by C-Fan » 29 Jun 2020 12:09

LinoSphere wrote:
27 Jun 2020 08:41
Hey Ken, I'd thought I'd leave this here as I know you're not on Facebook (me neither):
Hey Matthias! Thanks for the heads up and thanks for saying "hey." That is the one thing I miss about Facebook, the random notes and interactions with other footbaggers. Still, I'm glad I left the site.

There've been so many big Worlds developments lately and I'm so excited about them, that it's really hard to know where to start.

One of the biggest ones is that the first two major deadlines have passed.  Registration closed last week with several big names coming in at the last minute.  This is super exciting for several reasons, not least of which is that the field is now bounded.  In every event there is now a finite number of people who can win.  Are Clavens and Gatesman great players?  Undoubtedly.  Could they have won Worlds 2020 this year?  Before the deadline closed, sure.  But now that registration has closed each event has a limited field of people who can win.  It's like Schrodinger's cat once the box has been opened.  We're no longer in the hypothetical realm where anybody could register and win.  We're now in the grounded realm where the winners' name is physically on that list somewhere.  That alone is crazy exciting to me.

The other deadline that passed is the first round of Shred Off.  While this may seem very low-stakes since there are no cuts, it's still exciting to me for a few reasons.  From a personal standpoint it's exciting because now I can say I've competed at Worlds this year.  When 2020 kicked off I was pretty sure I wouldn't compete at Worlds this year much less any time in the foreseeable future.  Regardless of how I finish in the various events I'm just thrilled I'm getting to participate.  Beyond the unexpectedness of getting to compete, I can also now say I've competed at Footbag World Champs across 4 decades.  My list of Worlds is now: 1999, 2000, 2003-5, 2007-10, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2017, and 2020.  On a related note, props to Scott Davidson.  I'm not sure if his streak started in the 80s but it definitely stretches deeper into the 90s.

The other neat thing about the first round of Shred Off closing is it revealed who is actually competing.  Some strong players who were registered for it (Trenner, Bonslaver, Honza, Wojcic) did not submit an entry, effectively narrowing the pool of who can win.  Looking at the pools there are several strong players still in the mix.  I haven't watched every entry yet, but I've greatly enjoyed all the ones I've seen so far.  It's hard to make any predictions about what will happen in later rounds.  The lack of cuts in the first round makes it impossible to know who was sandbagging versus who is out of practice.  The format also changes a bit in later rounds, both in how long a submission needs as well as how much time you have to film it.  All that said, the seeding I saw from the first round feels about right: https://www.instagram.com/p/CB-Tjb6FBfL/

On that topic, here is my first round Shred Off submission:

My initial plan was to record two 30 second runs, which I did early on and kept on my phone.  When I had the random Quantums session due to windiness, I figured I might as well use the clownface since it's a cool trick.  Very late in the process I had the idea of making my first run be an homage to the very first footbag video I ever saw (in 1997, downloaded overnight on AOL) which was of Kenny Shults at 1996 Worlds:

That was fun, though I wish I had accentuated the stomping DLO more.  Still, fun to pay tribute to footbag history.
acxel22 wrote:
26 Jun 2020 03:16
shred 30 also got mr mathias blau, I would bet on him
Blau is indeed a beast.  I wouldn't put it past him to win.  I saw Honza registered for Shred30 and he could contend for sure.  But then, he was also registered for Shred Off and didn't submit so who knows if he's even doing it.  
acxel22 wrote:
26 Jun 2020 03:16
Dominik has been away from the game for a while
Yeah, he looks super rusty and bad. I'm going to bet against him in all events. :P :P

I still think a top score in the 270 range is realistic.  I'll be disappointed with the field if we don't have a few entries above 250 points, especially since we have unlimited attempts to submit something good.  One neat thing about Shred30 this year is that it's only one round so we won't know who is even competing until finals night when the scores are revealed.  It'd be funny if a Simku or Landes pushes super hard to try and beat Honza, only to find out Honza isn't even competing in it.   :lol:

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Routine Pool Thoughts

Post by C-Fan » 30 Jun 2020 18:17

The other big footbag worlds development that I didn't discuss in my last entry, was that Routine Pools were posted a couple days ago.
2 things jumped out at me immediately:

1. All told, they did a pretty good job!  As I've detailed in my blog and elsewhere on modified, seeding this year was going to be harder than usual.  The format encouraged new players to enter (Colombia, China) but these players are hard to accurately seed since there is very little track record to judge their skills.  The format also made it easy for older, semi-retired players to come back (Honza, Scott Davidson, Brayan Stivens) who pose unique challenges for seeding.  Can we expect them to compete at the same level they did when they were at their peak several years ago?  Who knows?  Given all the unknowns I think they did a good job with the pools.

2. Routine finals will be 10 players.  When I started playing in the late 90s, routine finals was 10 and that wasn't pared down to top 8 until 2006.  I definitely think an 8 person final is better than 10 in theory (easier to judge, more competitive to make it to finals, runs faster, etc.).  With this year's format though, 10 players in finals is fine.  Taking 41 competitors and going straight to finals with no semis round was going to be brutal regardless.  Expanding finals to 10 makes it slightly less so.

Looking at my own pool I'm not really sure what to expect.  Honza feels like a safe bet to do a solid dropless routine, but will he sandbag a bit since it's the first round?  Even if he does that probably still locks a final spot.  Andreas Nawrath hasn't competed at Worlds since 2016 but he had some good results from 2014-2016.  Jakob Wagner was borderline BAP and has done some really fun routines but I don't know if he's competed in the past several years.  Jakub G would be tempting to write off as more of a net player these days but he's done good routines at Worlds in recent years.  The wild card running through all these players is the completely unanswerable question: how high is their theoretical routine ceiling, and how motivated are they to do enough attempts to reach it?  Related to that, are they physically in shape to hit that ceiling?

As a competitor who is very motivated to make it to routine finals, these questions drive me nuts since they're impossible to answer.  One minor source of comfort is that I'd be feeling similar anxiety in pretty much any of the other pools.  The good news is that I already have a solid routine entry banked.  If I get injured tomorrow or for whatever reason I'm unable or unwilling to film a better entry before July 4 at least I have an entry that won't embarrass me.  

On a related topic, though much lower-stakes, Shred-Off pools were posted for the second round.  Similar to routines I appreciate how quickly they posted these for competitors.  I feel optimistic about my chances of advancing since half the players make the cut and I was granted a top seed after the first round.  You never know though; I wouldn't be shocked if say Derek Littlefield won my pool.  I signed up for Shred Off mostly just to participate but looking at all the big names that dropped out or never registered (Vasek, Honza, Bonslaver, etc.) I wonder how far I could go.  If nothing else, it could be fun to just give some headaches and make the other players stay on their toes.

Short vid from my last session where I worked mostly on Sick3 ideas and Shred30 improvements:

I currently have a decent safety banked for Shred30 but I'd like to try for a better one.  I think if I can frontload my Shred30 with some unique fearless I'd be able to bump my score by as many as 20 points overall.   We'll see if I have the time/stamina to pull this off.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Re: Routine Pool Thoughts

Post by Tjuggles » 01 Jul 2020 13:22

C-Fan wrote:
30 Jun 2020 18:17
As a competitor who is very motivated to make it to routine finals, these questions drive me nuts since they're impossible to answer.  One minor source of comfort is that I'd be feeling similar anxiety in pretty much any of the other pools.  The good news is that I already have a solid routine entry banked.  If I get injured tomorrow or for whatever reason I'm unable or unwilling to film a better entry before July 4 at least I have an entry that won't embarrass me.  
I think one thing that gives you the one-up this year is the nasty taste in your mouth from 2017. I know it has been irking you for years (based on your posts, and being at Worlds that year seeing you afterwards). I think it's great you are able to wash it out now.
TJ Boutorwick

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Fortnite?!?

Post by C-Fan » 02 Jul 2020 17:29

Tjuggles wrote:
01 Jul 2020 13:22
one thing that gives you the one-up this year is the nasty taste in your mouth from 2017. I think it's great you are able to wash it out now.
It's a great motivator for sure but I'm also not celebrating anything yet.  It's still entirely possible I don't make routine finals, or something happens that prevents me from filming a good finals routine.  But yes, if I do manage to make routine finals and I can submit something I'm proud of it will mean so much to me.

The good news is that we should have some clarity pretty soon. Routines are due in the next couple days, so hopefully routine Finalists are announced within a week. Shred Off round 2 videos are due tomorrow night which I'm also looking forward to.  I have less riding on the results of that one but I'm just excited to watch a bunch of new shred footage. I'm also excited that Sick3s are due this weekend.  I filmed and submitted my qualifier so long ago, you can actually see the sole coming off as I hit the last trick.  I'm looking forward to hitting a new sick 3 with my new shoes.  Of course, I probably won't touch Sick 3s or the next round of Shred Off until I've at least banked a strong finals routine.  At the end of the day, getting a strong finals routine is worth more to me than all the other events put together.  

I got in another dusk shred a few nights ago.  The good news is that I got enough footage to put together my second round Shred Off video all from that single session.  The bad news is I pushed a bit too hard and my hamstring has felt tight since then.  Thankfully I recognized my mistake early on so I've been attacking it with stretching, NSAIDs, and a foam roller.  If I had done something like this during a one week tournament I'd be in a lot of trouble.  The current format of Worlds really helps me out as I already have a bunch of safety submissions banked or already submitted.  This enables me to take my time with my recovery.  I could theoretically take almost 3 weeks off from my last session and still have time to submit my finals routine.  I'm hoping I can do a light routine safety session in the next week or so, and ramp up the difficulty in subsequent sessions assuming I don't make the hammy worse.

Ending on a really weird note, I got a text from Kemmer last night asking me about this:

After studying it for a while, Kemmer and I concluded it is likely modeled on some video of mine.  The butterfly out of the flier is definitely me.  Nobody ever reached out to me asking for permission which is a bit whack.  I guess best case scenario I would hope this creates some interest in footbag in gamers who may not be aware of it.  Worst case scenario somebody is making money off my likeness while our sport doesn't even get any exposure.  I'm thinking I should film myself doing the emote dance and title a YT video so people searching for it have a better chance of stumbling across actual freestyle footbag.  If that got any traction it could have some positive effect for the sport. But yeah, it felt so weird and surreal to see a random Fortnite dance that is probably based on me.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 02 Jul 2020 17:59

Thanks for the heads up on the deadline, didn't realise it was so soon.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 02 Jul 2020 19:36

C-Fan wrote:
02 Jul 2020 17:29

The butterfly out of the flier is definitely me.
I agree with that. I wonder if there is a recent video of you doing that? The arms during that butterfly are yours no doubt.
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 02 Jul 2020 22:20

I imagine not - but would there be any recourse for image rights if someone is profiting of it? I remember a long while ago Ian Pritchard did a commercial for the soft drink Solo and the image rights were included, as it was his legs filling in for the main character in the ad. Different story with something like fortnite though, I would think.

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 03 Jul 2020 03:27

just FYI Ken, judging of routines will happen this sunday to ensure finalists are informed ASAP.

Take care for now!
Mathieu Gauthier

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 03 Jul 2020 03:52

acxel22 wrote:
03 Jul 2020 03:27
just FYI Ken, judging of routines will happen this sunday to ensure finalists are informed ASAP.

Take care for now!
Thanks for that info! Exciting.
TJ Boutorwick

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Hamstring feels good!

Post by C-Fan » 03 Jul 2020 12:30

acxel22 wrote:
03 Jul 2020 03:27
judging of routines will happen this sunday to ensure finalists are informed ASAP.
That's total fucking bullshit!  The identities of the judges was JUST posted in the last day.  How the fuck are my gift baskets supposed to reach them before they submit their results?   :evil:   :x

In more positive news, I got in a session today.  My primary goal was to not re-injure my hamstring.  My secondary goal was to film a better routine qualifier.  My third goal was to improve my Shred 30 score.

I'm very pleased to report that my hamstring held up fine.  I was careful not to push any big tricks with that leg and I made a point to warm up slowly and stretch afterwards.  I feel a lot more hopeful and confident about my next round of entries based on how my legs felt today.  That's a big relief.

I wasn't able to get a better routine on tape despite having several very strong attempts.  It was super noisy at my spot today which made it really hard to hear my song and time my cues.  I can't make my speakers louder, so either I need to figure out an alternate music system for finals or I need to find a quieter spot/time to play.

Once the noise issues made it clear I couldn't get a routine on tape, I pivoted to Shred30.  I tried a few different setups and had varying success.  I didn't manage to get any dropless Shred30s banked, but it was clear to me that a score in the 250-260 range is within my reach.  I hope I make routine finals, and if I do that'll mean my next few sessions will be almost exclusively routine practice.  Once I bank a good routine though, I really want to revisit Shred30 and get a better one before the deadline.

Here's my most promising Shred30 from today:

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Weird Worlds Day

Post by C-Fan » 05 Jul 2020 19:25

Happy to report I got in a shred today. I felt a bit unfocused though, since the session felt like it was landing on the weirdest day in this whole Worlds 2020 stretch. The code word for Routine finals, Sick 3 finals, and the 3rd round of Shred Off has been released, and of course the code word for Shred30 has been known for a while. So in theory I could have gone out today and filmed entries for all 4 events, 3 which would be my final entries. What makes routines and Sick 3 particularly weird though is that while the code word for finals entries has been released, Finalists have not been decided yet. So yeah, I could have gone out and filmed Finals entries for those events...but who knows if I'm even IN finals for them. That'd be pretty depressing to film good entries for them today only to learn I'm not in those events anymore. Making things even weirder, was learning right before my session that Landes is dropping out of Shred Off and Routines. That won't change my goals for routines, but now I'm wondering if I should push harder in Shred Off since I might have a credible shot at a medal in the current field.

I ultimately decided to focus my session today on the 2 events I know I'm still in, and to worry about routines and Sick 3 once I know whether I made finals in them. I'm optimistic I'll know those results before my next session, which is probably Tuesday or Wednesday at the earliest. Shred30 showed promise again, with me making it to the high 20s on a few attempts. Unfortunately I didn't get any dropless ones, but based on the past 2 sessions it's clear to me that I should keep trying. There's easily 14-20 points on the table, and I know I can get it with just a bit of grinding or luck. My Shred Off attempts went pretty well. I only got about 40 seconds of footage, but it's all pretty high shred level. I should be able to get the remaining 80 seconds of footage in my next session.

The other big footbag news from today, was the release of all the qualifier round routines on the IFPA YouTube channel. There are a lot of takeaways and points of interest here but distilling to key points:

:arrow: Most obviously, you can see who scratched. Landes was the highest seeded competitor to scratch and that immediately opens a place in finals that I didn't see coming.
:arrow: We got a sneak peak of the level of play for some players who had been out of the scene for a while, notably Honza and Scott D.
:arrow: If you have the time and interest, you can go through the various pools and already start making educated guesses about who made the cut.

I won't bother with my analysis, both because I'm tired and also because I'm hoping official results are released in the next day (which makes my analysis moot).

Here's my video from the first round:

It's not perfect, but I think it holds up well against a lot of the other routines I got to watch today. I feel like I caught a bit of luck with my pool, in that 2 of the middle seeds in my pool scratched. I expected Honza's routine to be solid (and it was) so the biggest threat to me was going to be if one of the middle seeds in my pool stepped up. Aaaaand as I type these words out I just learned that results have been posted, and I made the cut.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 05 Jul 2020 19:31

Congrats Ken!

Weird things have happened today for sure. As you will have seen, I didn't make the cut. I guess that puts me in the top 15? I can live with that.
TJ Boutorwick