justin's footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 30 Sep 2004 12:51

today i didn't have school, so i decided to play footbag as much as possible today. i finally hit smear>pixie legover rpt. i also hit pdx torque on my flipside a few times, and came incredibly close to pixie torque, it just rolled off.i hit plenty of toe torques, and i kinda think they'r easier than clipper set torques, just because you don't have to spin as much to the osis. but thats just my opinion.
i also learned how to duck and dive on both sides. mainly just ducking, but i hit a couple dives also. i got ducking clipper>ducking clipper a couple of times, and spinning clipper>ducking clipper both sides. if only i could repeat that combo. strung out tonight...
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 04 Oct 2004 14:46

played at the park today with andrew, cheebs, marc, and pat. it was pretty good. i hit pdx whirls alot on both sides mid string. i also hit a new 5 add, blurry whirl on my strong side. i only sealed it once, but i'm still happy.
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 07 Oct 2004 10:41

i'v been out of school sick the past 2 days, and it really sucks. its so boring, just sitting around all day. and the worst part is, i haven't been able to play any footbag.
so today i decided to slip on my lavers n mess around a lil bit anyway. i just messed around with some simple stuff thats easy on my body. worked on soul stalls for a little while. managed to get em on both sides pretty easily. i also hit swirl on both sides. then i did a couple datw's. after doin that i hit double pickup for the first time. that was pretty cool.
i think i'm starting to get a little better, i dont feel as sick as i did yesterday atleast. hopefully i'l be back to normal tomarow. i really hope so cuz i wanna shred so bad.
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 10 Oct 2004 22:51

just had an amazing late night solo shred. i have off of school tomarow and most of my friends still have school, so i figured, why not play all night, and just sleep in until they get home from school. it turned out to be a really good session too. i hit alotta new combos that i would like to start to drill when i get a little better at them.
i started working on stepping tonight, after a few weeks of not really workin on it at all. i finally did stepping clip>ripwalk rpt. thats one more goal thats taken care of. hopefully when i get a little better i'l be able to use that combo as a drill, but i'm definately not ready for that yet. another combo was whirl>pdxwhirl rpt. i found that one a little easier than the stepping one. hopefully by next month, i'l be using both these combos as drills, and repeating them several times with ease.
i got a new mini abshire. i ordered it directly from richie so i could choose the colors i wanted. i got a nice blue and yellow one.
some more good news is that i think my leg pains are gone for a while. i played tonight for a little over 4 hours, and that was after not playing for a while cuz i was sick. and if my legs aren't hurting after that, i dont think they'r gonna start hurting again anytime soon.
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 13 Oct 2004 17:33

well.... lately footbag hasn't been so great. falls here, and it's gettin colder out each week. most days of the week its been either too cold or too windy to go to the park and shred. 2 days ago we all went to cheebs' house and tried to play. we were all way too tired, burnt out, and soar to play. we each got maybe 1 good run in, but that's about it. last night was strung out. i guess i played okay, but i'm not really satisfied either. i was really tired after only a littlemore than an hour, and everyone except for john stopped early. after that i realized that i needed to play today, and i needed to make it count. but once again, something was wrong. i went to start skooling some basics and started with the usual consecutive legovers, pickups, and mirages. all i have to say is, i sucked!!! my usual average of about 20 consecutive legovers wasn't even close to being met, as the most i got was 8 consecutives. and i could hardly do pickups. i just gave up on skooling my basics for the night because i could tell it was just gonna be another shitty night. i know people have bad day's.... but i think i'm having a bad week or something.

i knew i couldn't really do any long contact tiltless strings or anything, so i decided it was a good night to try and learn drifters. for some reason, i taught myself tonight how to hit toe drifters, and then i learned clip set drifters. i learned both sets of drifters on each side and hit both types bsos a couple of times. i even got drifter>drifter. then when i thought i couldnt be any more succesful on my first night of drifters it got better. i hit pdx drifter on each side, and i had pixie drifter roll of my foot on my strong side. that made my night so much better.

so i guess things tonight weren't THAT bad. i'm really mad i can't shred tho, i just can't put together strings. i can't play tomarow, maybe i'l play friday cuz i got a half day of school. we'l see how things go, hopefully this trend of bad sessions will go away.
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 13 Oct 2004 18:58

Nice work with the drifters!!!

Bad sessions suck but they make you appreciate good sessions more! and it's better to play badly when you're practicing than when you're at a tournament or something like that!

Keep working hard and you'll be happy with the results!

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 17 Oct 2004 17:38

thats a good point jeremy.

i had a solo session tonight for a couple hours. i took friday and the whole weekend off so i decided to just school basics and tiltless string length. i hit blender on my flipside a couple times.

i hit a few atomic tricks for the first time too. i started out with leggbeater on both sides and atomsmasher on my one side, but i couldn't hit it on the flipside.

no school tomarow. i'l prolly try and play a little then.
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 20 Oct 2004 19:30

played at strung out last night. that was cool as usual. after taking a couple of days off and starting back with smaller sessions i'v improved i think. my strings seem longer and i can throw pdx whirls in there pretty esaily now. i'v also been hitting ripwalk bsos alot too.

played tonight by myself. i got a new record of 94 consecutive osis's. i hit torque bsos and alot more torques midstring than before. i hit spinning whirl on one side, but not the other. i didn't work on pixie or stepping at all. i really focused just on tiltless, and i think my strings are definately getting longer and more consistant lengths.

joe asked me a question and it really got me thinkin. What do u think you will be hitting in 6 months? both me and joe have been playing for about 7-8 months and its hard to imagine what another 6 months will do to our game. wanna those things thats just really hard to picture.
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 24 Oct 2004 14:29

new 5- spinning pdx whirl both sides :D
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 01 Nov 2004 17:33

awsome jam at strung out yesterday. i got there a little bit late but i still had plenty of time to shred. meeting new people through footbag is the best.
i played by myself today after school. i just schooled som basic stuff like i always do.i seemed a little off compared to how i usually play, but i think i'm just a little tired from yesterday. i tried paradon for the first time today and i sealed it around 5 times on each side. i thought that was really weird considering i can't even do datw out to in, i can only do them in to out.
this saturday i'l be competing for my first time at kick yil you're sick. i'm starting to get more and more excited, i can't wait to shred all day saturday. i'm gonna be entering under intermediate and i think the comp. is shred 30, but i'm not sure. hopefully i should do ok, because i dont think its that big of a competition. lets just hope i dont choke
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 03 Nov 2004 16:53

today i played with pat and cheebs. it was a pretty good day, we shred for a good 2 hours and got to work on shred 30's for this saturday.
at first i was a little nervous about competing at kick til you're sick this saturday, but tonight when we worked on my shred 30 i did alot better than i thought i would. 2 or 3 times i went the full 30 seconds dropless and i got pdx whirls in there both sides and a whole bunch of other uniques.
i also hit one of my favorite moves. after a few tries i hit mobious, and it was perfectly clean. i was so happy, this has been like my dream move for so long, and i wasn't planning on hitting it for quite some time. this is my 4th 5 add, it really made my day so much better.
i plan on playin tomarow after school and then i'm gonna take friday off so i'm not tired or soar for the competition. i'l be happy if i can go dropless, thats really all i'm trying to do. i did it a couple times tonight, hopefully a couple more times tomarow.d
i really can't wait for kick til you're sick. this will be my first competition and i just know its gonna be awsome. hopefully i'l get to meet some more people. i dont really think i have a chance at winning intermediate, but my goal is to just go dropless and i'l be happy. i'l get back to u guys after saturday.
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks

rory
Multidex Master

Post by rory » 04 Nov 2004 08:21

props justin!! i still cant belive u hit mobius, ur shred 30 last nite was really really good, no doubt that u will take the competition, see you at strung out 2nite
Pat Mcgurran
The Ministry of Silly Walks

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 04 Nov 2004 19:48

thanks pat, but i dont think i'l take the competition.
i was playin tonight after hockey by myself for a while, just to help get ready for saturday. i skooled all my basics that i plan on doing in my shred 30. then i tried to hit mobious again to make sure it wasn't a fluke, and sure enough i hit it. then i tried my flipside, and within 4 tries i had it off my foot and new i could hit it. after around 10 tries i hit it and sealed it clean on my flipside.
then i went to work on my shred 30. things were looking good until i got to my 4th or 5th string. i went and sat down to get a drink and started rollin my bag around in my hand. all of the sudden i noticed a HUGE hole in my practically new mini abshire. i was so mad, especailly since this bag isn't even a month old yet. its not even fully broken in. i was forced to stop shredding early, and i just pm'd richie asking him what i should do about this. i mean, if i scraped it hard against the ground or somethign i wouldn't care, because it would be my own fault. but i didn't even scrape it, it just opened up into a whole during one string. where a hex and pent connect the stiching came undone all along the side of the panels and the corners. i hope i can send this back to richie to be fixed or something, i was really starting to like this bag. :( :( :( :(
on a happier note..... i can't wait til saturday!
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 06 Nov 2004 21:44

kick til you're sick was awsome. i didn't do to great in the competition, but i dont really care. i guess i kinda got nervous cuz it was my first competition and choked, but i played good after the competition in circles. cheebs won open, and andrew won intermediate.somerville sweep.
this competition was so much fun, it's motivated me to wanna play so much. i can't wait for chilly philly.
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 08 Nov 2004 18:53

i played after school with andrew, cheebs, and pat. it was alright, but all of us seemed a little off our game. i wish marc would start coming to play with us some more, i dont think he's played in over 2 weeks, maybe 3.
when i got home, after dinner, i played some more by myself.i focused mainly on stepping and torques. i hit one string with torque both sides twice, first time i'v done 4 torques in 1 string. i hit stepping clip>ripwalk>rpt a couple more times today. i had wanna my biggest stepping strings ever, stepping clipper>ripwalk>stepping clipper> ripwalk> osis> infinity> ripwalk> ripwalk>ripwalk>drop. i broke my old ripwalk record of 4, and can now do 7 consecutive ripwalks. my legs are kind of hurting from all of the stepping i did tonight tho, i'm not really used to using that muscle so much i guess.
for the first time today i hit datw in to out on both sides, and datw out to in on both sides. immediately after i hit paradon both sides, and barrage both sides.
here are all of my 5 adds that i'v learned within the past few weeks:
- blurry whirl ( both sides)
- spinning whirl( both sides)
- pdx torque(both sides)
- marius(both sides)
another new combo that 'v been waiting so long to hit is dimwalk>blur>rpt. i finally hit this today, it was awsome.
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 14 Nov 2004 16:35

friday after school i left for long island for a hockey tournement. that was alright, got ack around 8 on saturday night.
that night i went over to cheebs's house to play some poker and footbag in his basement. got to meet and play with dave clavens. that was awsome, he gave me so much good advice, thanks dave.
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 21 Nov 2004 20:25

i played by myself today for a couple hours. it felt so good to play because i haven't been playing as much as usual lately, i'v kinda been slackin. i'm hopin to get back on track this weekn and play atleast 3 times by myself, and shred with cheebs, andrew, marc, and pat a couple more times.
it was very noticable that i haven't been playing as much. my strings weren't as long as usual, and my sets were alot sloppier.
i tried to school blenders, but for some reason i still can't hit it on my flipside. i tried for atleast a half n hour but couldn't do it. i can do it pretty much everytime now on my strong side, even midstring. i wish i could just figure out what i'm doing wrong with it on my flipside. hopefully cheebs will be able to tell me this week what it is i'm doing wrong.
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 26 Nov 2004 18:57

i played tuesday, whensday, thursday, and today. i played today with cheebs, andrew, and pat, and the other days were by myself.
one of my goals from a while back was to hit spinning clipper> ducking clipper> rpt and i hit that a few times last night.
tonight i played like shit and it sucked, but i did hit pheonix.
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks

david
Senor Buttercup

Post by david » 26 Nov 2004 19:58

solid blog bro. thanks for the props. it was a pleasure giving you advice. hopefully we can shred again sometime soon. props on pheonix.
david

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 24 Dec 2004 13:32

haven't posted in here in almost a month i think.... alot's happened since then.
i'm hitting all sorts of new tricks in my strings. drifters, pdx whirls, and torques all over the place both sides. my stepping game has improved alot too.
recently i'v hit:
- smear>dimwalk>blur>rpt
- stepping clip>sidewalk>ripwalk> rpt
- 10 consecutive ripwalks
- blurry whirl midstring
- torque>drifter>rpt

i'm so excited about chilly philly. its gonna be a great event. theres gonna be so many people there, i can't wait.

i think on monday or tuesday me, cheebs, andrew, and pat are gonna go over to dave claven's for the day. get some shred in with him before chilly philly.
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks