justin's footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
splatdome
Shredalicious

justin's footblog

Post by splatdome » 12 Aug 2004 13:21

whats up. this is my first post here on modified. i'v been comin to this forum since i started footbag around 4-5 months ago, but just never got around to registering.
i'v been playin footbag for 4-5 months, but just recently started takin it more seriously. i try to practice around 8-10 hours a week.
i just got done with a good 3 hours session. i just started to learn some stepping tricks a few days ago, so i skooled stepping clipper alot today. i also worked alot on my flip pixie, and can now hit smear,parkwalk,and dimwalk on my flipside.i also hit pixie whirl both sides today. as of now i can only get 2 consecutive stepping clippers on each side, but i'm slowly improving. i set myself a new infinity record of 25 today, big improvement.
thats enough for today, peace

Maraxus
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Maraxus » 12 Aug 2004 14:05

First off, as a new member, welcome to the boards. It looks like you jumped right into footbag and are progressing above average for that amount of time. Keep drilling and if you need any help there are more than enough people who are glad to help.
bodybuilda

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 12 Aug 2004 14:56

thank's maraxus..... even though i wasn't registered, i still came to this site and read different threads almost every day, and many of you have helped to improve my game. reading everyone's different advice has done nothing but help.

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 14 Aug 2004 13:39

just finished shreddin. nothin special tho, just skooled some basics for a few hours. hit ripwalk>ripwalk a couple more times today, gettin better.
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 19 Aug 2004 05:54

played with marc,andrew, and eric at the school last night.... it was a pretty good session, but the cops came n kicked us out. it wasn't that bad tho, we got a good hour or more in before. i hit a torque which was cool.... and my mini came in the mail yesterday. my one legs been botherin me a little, hopefuly that will go away with some time
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 19 Aug 2004 14:22

worked on some stuff by myself today. felt like trying to break in my bag and kicked around alot. got a new personal record of 435 consecutive kicks. i skooled stepping alot more today, which is getting alot easier. my one leg is still botherin me, i might see what the doctor has to say about it. thats it for now...... peace
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks

Colin
Flower Child

Post by Colin » 19 Aug 2004 14:27

What exactly is bothering your leg? A lot of the folks on this forum have had leg/hip/knee/ankle/groin/shin problems, and could probably offer some helpful advice.
Colin Kennedy
ckennedy@footbag.org

innersmile
Multidex Master

Post by innersmile » 20 Aug 2004 02:26

Dude,
If you have any trouble with your legs and are willing to put in sufficient time I'd recommend the 2 following books:

Relax into Stretch
Super Joints

Both by a guy named Pavel something. It will take time and effort but it's worth it. His stretching tips alone will improve your game as well as strengthen your legs. I'm too lazy to get a link for you but I highly recommend both of them. I've been doing stuff out of them for about a year now and it's truely the way forward.

8)
Greg

Have love; will travel

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 20 Aug 2004 15:55

i'm not really sure what's bothering my leg, but it really only hurts when i lean forward and put alot of wait on my toes.it hurts on the lower part of my calf, mainly on the inside right next to my shin. i took the past 2 days off and the pain went away. i'm gonna try n play tomarow and see what happens. thanks for the advice on the books, i'l definately look into it
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 27 Aug 2004 18:08

just got back from from a paintball tournement in pittsburgh. i'v been gone for around a week, and i didn't get to shred at all in pitts, so i think i'm gonna be a little rusty. my one leg still hurts a little, so i think i'm gonna wait til monday to play again. i'l let u kno what happens then
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 03 Sep 2004 21:05

haven't posted in here for a couple of days. i'v been at the beach. i had a great session today.i hit pdx whirl>pdxwhirl, i hit torque>osis>torque, i got smear bsos, and i hit dimwalk>ripwalk on both sides. awsome night
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 06 Sep 2004 13:26

i learned double legover the other day, and i had a pretty easy time hitting it both sides. i can't wait untill i can throw dlo's and pdx whirls into my strings
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 06 Sep 2004 16:22

Duuude! sweet work! Keep it up!
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 07 Sep 2004 17:50

thanks mosher..... i was supposed to play at the school tonight under the lights, but the friggin cops kicked us out. we ended up playing in the street right outside the school property under a street light, just messin around. between last night and tonight i'v been doin pretty good. last night i hit 4 consecutive ripwalks. that felt so good. i also hit blur bsos last night. tonight i hit blender a couple times on my strong side. i never even thought i'd be able to do it, but i hit it my first try, thanks to a little help from cheebs. blender is such a cool trick, hitting it definately made my night.
theres also some bad news. just after i thought my leg pain was gone and over with, it came back. i took about a week off a while ago and started back up slowly. i went back to playing regularly almost a week ago and everything seemed fine. but tonight it hurt just as much as before. i dont know what to do, i tried taking time off, it didn't work. i always stretch and i do heel/toe raises atleast twice a day, even when i don't shred that day. i'm not too sure if its a shin splint, it doesn't hurt directly on my shin, but off to the inside of my shin. i hope it just goes away soon, maybe it'l pass. i don't know what i'l do if it doesn't, its not like i'm just gonna quit footbag after all this over a little pain. we'l see what happens, i'l keep ya posted
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 12 Sep 2004 14:20

today was awsome.... i finally learned how to spin and i love it. i got spinning clipper bsos a couple of times and spinning clipper>spinning clipper both sides. i also hit spinning butterfly, spinning osis, and spinning mirage on both sides.
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 15 Sep 2004 11:31

i finally got to go to strung out last night and shred. i'v been wanting to go for over a month now but just never get the chance. it was awsome, i played with andrew,cheebs, john, and marc for a couple hours. i can't wait till tomarow when i can go play again. i noticed last night that my strings are finally starting to get longer, i prolly came close to 20 tiltless contacts which is good considering 2 weeks ago i could barely do 10. i hit a few spins both sides, and a couple dlo's mid string. then john tried teaching me n marc how to do flyers, i think wel' figure it uot soon enough.
i'm gonna try and play tonight by myself.... depends on what time i get back from work. hopefully i'l be able to play, i really wanna work on some stuff.
i think this leg pain i'v been having in my right leg is just a shin splint. it finally went away again, and its staying away. i think the reason it stopped hurting is because i started doing toe/heel raises like 3 times a day.
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 20 Sep 2004 17:38

i had an awsome shred today. i got a good 3 hours in by myself. i started off skoolin alotta basics, and worked on some new stuff too. i even broke my old osis record....my new record is 72
i got alot better at my pixies today. i hit pixie legover>pixie legover. and i hit mirage>smear>dimwalk bothsides. i'v been trying that for so long, but i could never do pixies out of other tricks before, especially on my flipside.
after workin on whirls i started workin on toe whirls and skooled the combo mirage>toewhirl>pdx mirage rpt. then i worked some pdx whirls and prolly did around 10 total on each side.
i skooled torques like theres no tomarow. today was teh first time i ever really worked on them, usually i'l just try one or two and move on. today i did 20 on each side. it took me a while, but towards the end i would drop maybe twice for every 5 torques.
after that session i'm definately going to be a little sore tomarow, but hopefully i'l be alright to play at strung out with everyone.
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 21 Sep 2004 17:51

i was supposed to go to strung out tonight and play with everyone, but things came up and i ended up stayin home. i still played for a couple hours by myself. i mainly worked my pixies, whirls and torques. i kept skoolin combos like smear>legover rpt, mirage>smear>dimwalk, mirage > pixie legover rpt..... one of my goals right now is to hit smear>pixie legover rpt. another drill i skooled the shit outta was mirage>toe whirl>whirl>pdx mirage rpt.... i added an extra whirl onto it from last night. i only hit it the full combo on both sides 2 or 3 times, but i alwasy came really close.
thats all for today..... peace
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 26 Sep 2004 18:14

i worked on my whirls alot tonight. i'm still skoolin that string mirage>toewhirl>whirl>pdx mirage rpt. the farthest i got with that is repeated twice. so i got all of that both sides twice in the same string. Then i skooled pdx whirls for a while and i hit it bsos several times.
worked my pixies more too. i want strong pixies both sides so bad, and i'v been workin on it alot lately.
i hit dlo bsos from clipper set, and bsos from toe set. i also learned eggbeater, but i can't do it on my flipside yet. eggbeaters r sick.
i haven't been playing as much lately as i wanna. i'v always got so much crap going on that i just don't have time. besides school everyday i'v got practices for both travel hockey team and a travel semi-pro paintball team. and my dad decided it was a great time to replace all of the siding to the house, so i'v been working on that almost everynight also. and gay S.A.T. classes after school. alot of the time i'l be doing all my hw and studying in class and lunch so i can shred at night. i can't wait till s.a.t.'s are over, and the house is done. then i'l be able to shred everynight, and i'l be happy.
i'v got a few goals as of right now that i'm trying to work on.
- i want 25+ tiltless contact strings more frequently and easier
- of course i wanna improve my pixie game
- be able to hit pdx whirls midstring atleast 90% of the time
- i wanna be able to throw torques in midstring
- start skoolin steppin again and hit stepping clip>ripwalk rpt, and dimwalk>blur rpt
- and finally i wanna learn drifters and ducking, but i think i'l work on that after everythign above

comments are always welcome :D
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 28 Sep 2004 18:46

i forgot to mention one of my goals, which was to hit my first 5 add. tonight at strung out i had a pretty good shred, and yes, i hit my first 5 add. pdx torque!! tonight was the first time i tried it, and i actually hit it on my second try. i sealed it around 4 or 5 times. thats all for now
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks