Montreal Footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Laroche
Footbagger.

Montreal Footblog

Post by Laroche » 04 Sep 2004 09:05

Allright, i guess I'll make one of these as well, for the Montreal guys/gals.

Sooooooooo I finally got a chance to kick yesterday, ive had a pulled groin (minorly) for about a month now. It sucks, I cant do too many toe tricks, as it's when I lift my knee high and put it down, as in a leg-over motion, that it hurts. The pain is mostly gone, but I cant do any fast leg-over type tricks, like symposium eggbeater, or whatever.

I worked on flip stuff, and some moves/combos i havent tried yet. Whirling Swirl > Ripwalk repeat, Gyro whirl > Blurry Whirl > Blurry Whirl > Gyro Whirl. Also hit Gyro Whirling Swirl. A bunch of other stuff which im going to keep secret until I can bust them easily, none of it has been hit yet I think, including new sets. All in all a good day, though my run length was frustratingly short due to my lack of practice.

Im going to miss funtastiks for the second year in a row now :( Its sucks, I really wanted to make it this year, I LOVED it the last time I went. Worlds put me in debt quite a bit. Oh well, at least I will for sure make it to chilly philly, which is cool.

I hope to feel good for the tam-tam sunday, and we'll see what happens from their. My shred partner James Mcullough isnt going to be there, which sucks. :cry: He's been improvng at a REALLY fast pace lately, which is great to see. Alot of the concepts he was shaky at for a while seem much more solid now, and he is absolutely comletely flipsided on EVERY trick, which is inspiring. At least Eli, Sebastien and Yacine will be there.

I think we are going to try and get some videos up if possible. Ive been composing some music for a bit now, so all the music will be from me :)

Thats about it, gotta get back to work now.
Nicholas Laroche

Laroche
Footbagger.

Post by Laroche » 07 Sep 2004 08:37

So, the Tam-Tam Jam was a blast, as usual. The afternoon was overcast for a while, then it finally cleared up into a beautiful day, which was fun, because autumn is already showing its sings pretty badly up here in Montreal, which sucks.

Jon Mahood came down for the weekend, so we got a chance to kick together on sunday, at the tam-tam. He's really good, he came close to Zig-Zag, Ripstein, and just some nice strings. I like his style, its very sharp and clean. I swear I see some Penske in him too sometimes, with really wild barflys and drifters.

Sebastien, Eli, and a few others came down, it was fun. I played OK, considering I hadnt kicked much due to injuries, so I was happy. My strings were really short, but I hit some nice combos so thats all that matters. Stuff like grifter > grifter, and I cant seem to remember anything else, really.. :oops: Oh yeah I came close to spinning swirl > double-spinning clipper, but apparently according to Jon my ponytail hit it. :roll:

Eli was on FIRE!! 8O Damn when he decides to go off he really busts huge, its was pretty awesome. Mobius > Vertigo, Paradox Double Pick-ups all over the place, and ALOT of really stylie original moves. Definetly one of my favourite players, hes always fresh when he gets the bag. Every string is different. Seb was playing OK, but he's played better, I think. He still came close to Frantic DOD, clean, but rolled off his foot because he lost his balance.

After kicking, Me, Jon, Claudia and Mar(c or k, i dont remember), and the person who Jon was staying with who I cant remember her name went downtown for some Pizza. After the pizza, its was time for some Orange Julius, and then a short farewell. All in all a well spent afternoon.

I have another session today with James and Kolo, and I'm going to try and drag Eli and Yax down to kick a bit too. I have some ideas for some new tricks so I'll try them out and see how it goes.

EDIT: And claudia hit a Smear, Whirl, and Blur!!
Nicholas Laroche

james
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by james » 10 Sep 2004 17:44

You've lured me into the dreaded footblog diorama miasma of doom. While I'm here I might as well shoot tha shit.
lieroxtreme rocks the universe. If only footbag moves were weapons, that would be multiversal.
I AM THE MULTIVERSE!
Hmm, I've come to a very very important conclusion. TO ALL SHREDDERS WITH CONSISTANCY PROBLEMS (like mahself) the number one important thing to remember when you're playing footbag is to wait for the bag, and cushion it appropriately before starting the next move.

And also if you get injured I feel your pain cuz it is hell! Aren't you always worried that it'll come back again? Nick and I are both recovering from injuries right now but he's still tearing it up, he's way too modest. I still can't really push my goodside right now...i'm being extra extra careful...because footbag is life.

Tomorrow I'm going to have a solo session in the middle of nowhere and I'm going to come back and post some highlights. I promise to not disappoint my legion of fans *cricket noises*.
James McCullough

Jorden
Retro Athlete

Post by Jorden » 10 Sep 2004 18:03

Wow. You're lucky. I wish I had hoards of crickets to watch me shred! :wink: :lol:
Jorden Moir

james
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by james » 11 Sep 2004 20:04

Yeah those crickets got pretty loud today, they were severely impressed.
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR I had a great session playing in some kiddy park where a bunch of five year olds stared in open mouthed wonder.
I hit some new stuff that had been eluding me for months.
First off I hit both whirling swirls (all downtime of course) for the first time (took me like 20 minutes though raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa), then proceeded to hit my first flip tomahawk and spinning whirl, yay.
But the definite highlight was....scorpion's tail. I've been trying this fucking move for so god damn long I could cry. I hit it super clean and made a girlish yelp which attracted the attention of some old ladies sitting nearby.
Oh yeah and a really cool drill : pixie butterfly-shmoe-parkwalk-blur rpt.

ok it's random smiley time
:roll: :oops: :cry: :lol: :o 8) :D 8O :D :x :!: :?: :twisted: :P :twisted: :cry: :x 8O :? 8O :o :wink: :cry: :x :oops: :oops: 8) :) :twisted:
aren't they fucking obnoxious?
James McCullough

Laroche
Footbagger.

Post by Laroche » 12 Sep 2004 19:39

Tam Tam Today, YAY!!!! I wake up pretty late, and sit around and listen to music and eat cereal in boxers for a while, before noticing that I needed to take a shower and head out. I get everything done, walk the dogs, and head out to the metro.

In the metro, there is some nut hanging around with a chain wrapped around his fist, muttering, looking violent, volatile, and in general, pissed. I try not to notice him to much, but he happens to be in my metro, and then on the same bus as me 8O . Ill admit to being a bit scared of this loser, I definetly did NOT feel like getting smacked upside the head by him. Anyway he went away after getting off the bus, so I was happy :)

IT WAS HOT. Very hot. ESPECIALLY for this time of year.. I dont remember sweating so much in a long time. A bunch of people show up, unfortunately Yax and Seb aren't there, but I had a great time and a good shred pretty much all day. Grifter x4, smoke > grifter > vortex > grifter, and a bunch of really long strings using moves I dont normally do. I managed to zoom out of spinning blender, which was fun. Zooms rock. My flip whirls still aggravate me like hell, as I can barely recover from them almost every time. It has to do with bad clipper placement, im pretty sure.

Caro was playing pretty good, comming super close to barroque a couple times, and hitting a few quantum moves, paradox drifters, and atom smasher! Props!

Eli has played better, he seemed a little bit off in his game today, but that happens. Still got some nice runs, one nice flier run I remember especially, it was very cool and different from any other I have seen before. Cool stuff!

James was missing again, unfortunately, as well as Ianek. Both are so good, but I dont get a chance to kick with either very often.

After the shred, I went downtown and had some pizza with Marc and Claudia, and joked around a bit ("Why would you wear glasses that make you throw up?") I headed home after that, and took a small nap. After that was listening to music/playing starcraft/eating junk food until now, which is 11:37pm. And I work tommorow 10 hours, from 8am till 6. Im really pissed off about that, and can't wait until it's over already.

AAAANNNNDDDDD Thats about it. Oh and I made a small demo CD of my songs that I wrote, was pretty happy about that. Most are for the game im working on, but I will DEFINETLY have a shred cd made entirely of my own compositions by the time chilly philly rolls around!
Nicholas Laroche

james
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by james » 13 Sep 2004 09:06

Woah it's like your life story man! Hahaha. Hey aren't you going to be playing with James the ultimate master of disaster McCullough tomorrow and wednesday??
Nick you should have PS whirled that shifty muthahonker into the metro tracks and save us all a bit of trouble.
I just had my first two hour session of the week and it went well; wasn't trying anything in particular just runs, though a cool combo I hit comes to mind: atomic clipper-gyro mirage-legbeater-gyro pickup
And zulu osis which is an amazing move.
I WANT BLURRIEST-BLURRIEST!
If ya wanna get the move ya gotta play it cool, be light on your feet, that's the key sparky.
I did some twinkle toes paradons and made minimal stompage so maybe blurriest b2b will be hit by the end of the week.
Oh and I will hit atomic spinning butterfly tomorrow I promise, I just havn't decided on the proper plantings yet.

peace out you crazy tree frogs
James McCullough

cclaudia
Shredaholic

Post by cclaudia » 13 Sep 2004 12:05

hey SLICK nick.... aren't you the funny one eh.....SLICK......SLICK THE DICK NICK......next time i wear my glasses i'll be sure to throw up... on your feet....that way you can be more like ___(the person who shall not be named...with awful feet....ahem...).

hey james, haven't seen you in a while.... are you playing tuesday afternoon?...if yes.....when are people going?
Claudia Gucciardi

james
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by james » 14 Sep 2004 12:09

Yeah I'm shreddin' in about FIVE MINUTES! I'm putting down another 2 hr session....thing is I do them at Vanier so I'm all by myself unless Nick comes to see me (which should be tomorrow).
If anyone in Montreal wants to shred with James the fresh funkmaster McCullough just give me a HOLLA, I'll be more than happy to oblige.

Time to shred.
James McCullough

Post by ville » 14 Sep 2004 15:07

This is the sneakiest and craziest (thanks to james) blog there is.

Tell the fat bum kid with the fireman hat I said "mitä vittuu sä sälität", I'm sure he remembers me.

james
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by james » 15 Sep 2004 04:28

Ville you are one wild and crazy guy even if I don't know what fat bum kid with a fireman hat you're talking about. Who knows how many Montrealer's you frightened with your wild and crazy antics.
I'm keeping this blog sneaky in honour of 'sneaky' Nick 'Slick Sick Lowrider' Laroche who is my hero in sneakiness, and squeeky cleanliness. But you are my hero in Villeness, which you possess to the maximum degree.
Belle nez monsieur.

AND on another note me an' Snick are having a session today at eleven and it is guaranteed to be fresh.
Freshness is very important.
James McCullough

Laroche
Footbagger.

Post by Laroche » 15 Sep 2004 12:30

James: Yo yo yo bisnatches wassup? Me (James the purple nurple McCullough) and Cut, Scraped and Nick'ed are chillin' at Nick's place and we're doing a super post cuz we're both here. We shredded hard for two hours and my calf hurts. But I hit uhhhh stepping pickup-pixie gyro pickup
and this drill: magellan-pixie op clipper-dlo rpt. Now I'll pass you on to the Larochemaster for some more tidbits. He was doing some masterful links BTW.

Nick: Thanks James. Yeah. The metro takes a funking long time to get there. I got there late. It was fun. I hit butterfly-osis rpt. Some torques. Spinning whirl > blurry drfter > nemesis swirl. That last on is a lie. Back to you James.

James: Well that was boring.

Nick: Yeah

James: Wanna play some lieroxtreme?

Nick: Yeah

James: uhhh, butterfly-osis rpt is for pansys Nick, we all know that.

Nick: ... Yeah... I know...But it was rpt!!

James: Who wants to be gellin' anyhoe? How far did gellin' get YOU?
Nicholas Laroche

Laroche
Footbagger.

Post by Laroche » 24 Sep 2004 19:27

WASUP?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Alright, so there was a pretty kick ass jam a couple days ago in montreal, a small low-key one that not many pros showed up to, but a couple of newbies that i havent played with and a couple of montreal vet's did.

It started off at around 7pm with a beer from everyone to get loosened up, and the shred away! During my warm-up, something happened, and I RE-PULLED MY FUCKING GROIN!! This is the second time since worlds, but this one isnt as bad as the first one, at least. Still, I could barely do any leg-over type moves, such as atomics, pixies, egg-beaters, and dlos. Oh well, I still played really well and was pretty satisfied.

Im in a bragging mood, so here comes my grocery-style list of stuff I was happy with:

2 new moves, flip pixie-torque, and stepping pdx. flail, like a blizzard with the second dex symposium.

I also came pretty close to TRIPLE-WHIRL! I got about 2.75 dexes before it hit the ground. Uhhhhhh.. what else..

Spinning Whirl > Ps whirl > Spinning Whirl > Ps Whirl > Ps Whirl > Whirlwind > Mobi-drop!! At least that seemed to impress the couple hot single women there, always important.

Anyway, Seb was there, he hit sumo > symp. backside blur, and really, REALLY long runs, im talking 50+ contacts per run, with fives and fours all over the place. Highly impressive! Massacre this, Pdx Massacre that, etc. It was pretty vicous.

An oldie but goodie from montreal Marc Perfect Style Giard hit inspinning clipper > double spinning reverse whirling dragon-osis 8O wtf is up with that..

The cd player skipped a bit, but otherwise it was shredding to some drum n bass, old hip-hop, and some hardcore, a decent mix. I was the unsuccesful dj of the night, often switching mid-track due to my lack of paying-attentioness.

The night finished off with quite a few more beers from everyone, and a nice friendly game of 4-square, of which sebastien won both, i believe. I did massively shitty, and didnt realize i kept doing feints and not-enoucraging one of the new players there, but thats OK. I managed to make it back home in one piece and called in sick the next day, and all was well.

Tommorow Im heading for a birthday party, i might demo for some people, well see..

Anyway.. yeah.

JAMES WHERE ARE YOU?

EDIT: I think some james quote is nessescary

"I dont drink for the taste."
Last edited by Laroche on 25 Sep 2004 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas Laroche

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 25 Sep 2004 07:58

Where are you guys playing exactly in Montreal, and when
Also, is there some players at a "beginner level" (I hit 2adds, 3adds mostly, no double dex, and I'm too shy to play with pro's)

james
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by james » 28 Sep 2004 09:31

I'm a mysterious muthafucka, who knows when I'll be here or there at any given moment, I'm shifty like that. I am currently out of commission as well, with an ingrown toenail/blister. It's not serious and the blister is getting better but I'm not sure how to treat it so it doesn't come back again.
I WANNA PLAY FOOTBAG DAMMIT

Don't be intimidated by pros you anonymous person you, as long as you can link some twos you'll be ok in any circle, well except mine. Hahahaha

I mostly play by myself because i'm anti-social and I suck, but I have a lot of heart...

ok James the wild man McCullough is signing out you wacky tabakys
James McCullough

Laroche
Footbagger.

Post by Laroche » 30 Sep 2004 10:20

Here we go, a bland almost non-descriptive post:

A small session was had with Eli, Yax, and me.

Eli hit stuff like barraging inside > blender walkover, and other cool links like that. Also a blender > ripped warrior, which was BAD-ASS, very very clean., and controlled.

Yax started nailing his furious sets pretty good, and hit a fury, as well as a bunch of other surprising combos. Its fun to see, because i was disappointed to learn that he wasnt really playing much, but I guess he decided to step up his game, and it shows!

I had a shit day, string wise, but did hit almost every furious set i tired, a couple ripsteins, and was close again to triple whirl. And maybe some other stuff but I forget.. close to swifter > janiwalk... and thats about it.

Gonna shred with James soon, I feel the itch to do so.
Nicholas Laroche

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 30 Sep 2004 12:56

I'd love to see some footage. I've never really seen a video of more than a short contact run of yours, Nick.

james
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by james » 30 Sep 2004 13:26

Nick Laroche is so super fantastic you really have to see him in person to truly appreciate his smooth economy of motion.

I DEFINITELY feel the urge to play footbag. I think my minorly ingrown toenail is ready to be clipped, now I just have to wait a day or two for the blister to heal. OMG I wanna play. I will keep it fresh I promise.

BTW my torques are like poetry in motion.

AND I will hit colossus by the end of next week.

AND ps whirl>gs whirl
James McCullough

Laroche
Footbagger.

Post by Laroche » 30 Sep 2004 16:20

I DO plan on going to Winterpeg next year! Maybe you guys can host a jam say spring-ish? That would really rock my sox! Actually just kicking with hackrifice is good enough for me.

EDIT: I wanted to hit ripstein in my room, but the swirling set (a clean one, im positive) went way high, so i ducked it, and hit a clipper..

BOOM BITCHES!
Nicholas Laroche

cclaudia
Shredaholic

Post by cclaudia » 30 Sep 2004 18:21

why weren't you two at NDA?
Claudia Gucciardi