Ners' Footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 14 Feb 2009 11:57

We had a meeting of Polish Footbag Association today, the main goals were to refresh the member list and elect new board of directors. I became the new chairman, Paweł Rożek is now the vice-chairman and Olaf is secy(? not sure about that word). Other two members of the board are Radek Turek and Robert Siwek. We discussed our close goals and plans, and chose deadlines for their realization. Each member tried to pick a field of interest that he could contribute to, in order to move things forward. It was a productive meeting.

Pozdrawiam
Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 17 Feb 2009 08:54

Finally finished the Clipper tutorial video! You can find it here (warning: all in Polish):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az_mOxc9XVA

For now it's only available in standard quality, which sucks quite a lot, but hopefully soon it will convert and it will be possible to watch it in higher quality. I'm happy with how it turned out, took a lot of work, but Clipper is pretty complex and hard to grasp quickly. Next I'm going to do a tutorial for ATW both directions, then probably Legover and Mirage. I'm not sure if I should include Pickup and Illusion in the basics videos.

I was going to shred today, but got struck by a massive cold. I hope I'll get better ASAP.

Pozdrawiam
Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 18 Feb 2009 20:43

Awesome tutorial, even if I couldn't understand it.
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

daLai
BSOS Beast

Post by daLai » 19 Feb 2009 04:34

Hey Ners.

I've watched your clipper tutorial and I must say I like it very much, though I had the same problem as Zac - I couldn't understand a word.
Anyway, I think it's very helpful to have such a tutorial made by really good players like you.
Apart from that, I'd like to have seen stretching advices how to get your muscles and joints more flexible and more comfortable to adjust to the clipper position easily.
Additionally, I missed the advice of curling your toes - unless it was mentioned by the Polish speaker. I was surprised you visually did not show the toe curling stuff, because in your Insidestall tutorial you've emphasized this fact very often.
Nevertheless, I'm thankful you are making those tutorial vids, so keep more of them coming!

Greets, Simon
Simon Kittlaus aka 季士è

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 20 Feb 2009 10:15

Thanks for the positive comments about the Clipper tutorial! I guess you are right about the stretching advices, there is only a short segment where I say to do a basic warm-up. And about the curling - there's a fragment which says that you should flex your ankle exactly like you did it for Inside Delay. You do have a point that I should have probably add specifically that you need to have solid Inside Delays before you attempt Clippers. I do say that it's the last of the three basic delays and the hardest one, and that you should always get your basics down before attempting harder stuff so hopefully people won't jump to Clipper right away. On the other hand, if you learn properly, is it possible to learn Clipper without learning Inside? I guess it is.

Few interesting things happened since I last posted. I made a short video with Radek and Yeti, and had lots of fun editing the intro part :) I will put it on YouTube tommorow probably. YouTube took down two of my videos yesterday, even though I argued that it's Fair Use. I guess the end of using copyrighted music on YouTube is near.

On Monday I sent an e-mail to the Departament of Sport, Turistics and Recreation at the City Hall, asking them for help in finding a place to practice for free. I didn't really expect a quick answer, or even a positive one, so you can imagine how surprised I was when two days (!) later I got a call from the Youth Sports Center from a woman that said they got information about us, and will probably let us use one of their gyms for free! How cool is that :) I just need to set the dates and check if the gym us free, which gets problematic because nobody answers when I call there :roll: I'll probably just have to go there myself.

I went to a meeting in Strzelin today, I wrote about it in the Euros thread in Journies to Tournies. It went well, afterwards we had a solid talk about the project. I will write a more detailed report to the EFC.

I hope to shred tommorow, since my cold is getting better.

Pozdrawiam
Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 10 Mar 2009 14:40

Last weekend I visited Slovakia, to attend Footbagovica tournament. There were 5 people going from Poland - me, Yeti, Królik, Cod and his friend Martyna. We had some problems with getting there, mostly because it turned out that while the connection that Michał and Martyna found when buying their tickets in Warsaw exists, there are no trains running on it 8O AND when they returned their tickets they got the money minus 10% of the ticket value even though it was clearly a mistake on the side of the train company. Anyway when we arrived there we were greeted by Jozef who took us to the ABC place, where the tournament was held. We left our stuff, ate something and came back to have a shred session. It was a good shred, I remember hitting some solid combos and being happy with my game. Later after ending the circle we said hi to all the people that arrived and spent the rest of the evening talking footbag and chilling.

The next day was the day of the events. I only competed in Circle Contest and didn't get to the finals (one day Milan, one day...), so I spent most of the day judging and organizing stuff. And there was quite a lot of work, since there wasn't a computer or a printer at site, so everything was had to be written by hand (judging sheets). There were also only two judges for finals. Dexter did a great job on the microphone, but that's not something to be suprised about :wink: Vasek did a small demo and shredded to his own beatbox, which got him a lot of applause. The audience clearle loved Dan Ednie the most though, pretty much going crazy after he landed his first Sick3 combo :) . Vasek did some crazy runs in Circle Contest, hitting the link of the tournament (for me at least), that being Eclipse > Torque buried deep in a varied run. So slick. His Sick3 was "normal Vasek level", meaning Frankenstein > Whirlwind > Double Spinning Whirl.

There was an overall champion at this tournament, so the trophy went to the player who got high placing in all events. I told Vasek that if he won't play Shred30 he might not get enough points to win, but he decided to scratch anyway. And that's exactly what happened, with Milan getting second in everything and winning Shred30 he beat Vasek by a few points. Props Milan!

After the tournament finished I went to eat the traditional Slovakian meal - haluszki. It was small noodles covered with sheep cheese sauce - delicous! Then we hit the afterparty which was pretty epic. We returned at 5 in the morning entering through a window since the door was closed. We got our stuff together and returned to Poland the next day. I had a great time :) Thanks to the organizers!

Today I went to the City Departament to finally finish the paperwork that I had to do because of the recent changes in our association. Thankfully it's all done now. Later me and Radek had a session and it was pretty solid. I spent most of the time schooling flip Toe and Clipper, but also hit Frigidosis Rev Swirling Butterfly. Was close on the other side, but didn't hit it. I also schooled Osis hitting 44 with my best try and Infinities, getting 81 in my second attempt. I hope I'll be able to at least slightly rebuild my form for Todexon. I also talked to a guy who wants to come to our session on Saturday - cool, I hope he will become a part of WRC crew.

Pozdrawiam
Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 25 Mar 2009 10:39

Leaving to Prague for Todexon 10 on Friday! Super stoked :D I was practicing my routine today and got the idea of Downtime Leggy Miraging Legover. I hit it a couple attempts later and I wonder if anyone tried and hit that trick before. Leggy Miraging Pickup would be even weirder, I think I'm going to try that on my next session :D I practiced flip Toe technique, as always, there's some progress but it still needs a lot of work. Thankfully I'm not in a hurry :wink:

The Youth Sports Center didn't agree to let us use their small gym for free, so we will have to look somewhere else. I'm thinking about trying to get a spot at my university, they have a lot of buildings under their jurisdiction. But on the bright side, it turned out that if we wanted to rent the gym, the fee is super small (5 zloty/hour, that's like $1,50 (!) ). We're going to use that gym to host some jams in the future. We're already planning a combined jam with the Strzelin crew, it should be fun.

I've almost finished the next instructional video (for ATW). I should be online today or tommorow (for sure before I leave for Todexon). Too bad I have a test on Monday :roll:

Pozdrawiam
Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 26 Mar 2009 15:40

Finished another instructional video (ATW):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9PdOe9XWYI

Leaving for Todexon 10 in 6 hours! It's gonna rock. :D

Pozdrawiam
Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 29 Mar 2009 13:15

I'm back from Todexon 10, which was a total blast, exactly as I expected it to be :D

I went to Prague by train, with Olaf, Bujo and whole Strzelin crew. We were picked up by Hania, and after the rest of the team registered at the hostel (I was staying at Ales'es place) we departed to Sokol gym to register ourselves. We met up with other players there, paid the fees and then started to shred. I spent most of the time in a circle with Dan Ednie, Jorden, Milan and Honza. Later Marcin Bujko joined also. I played badly, but still had lots of fun watching Jorden and Milan rip it up and throwing down crazy tricks and links one after another. Milan is super consistent and his game is also becoming more and more varied with stuff like bothsided Toe Spinning or Bent Butterflys :wink: Jorden outshredded everyone, and was the last man standing at 10:00 when people started packing and leaving the gym. That's when Vasek arrived, changed his clothes, without any warm up asked Jorden to play with him and proceeded to hit stuff like Flurricane > Dimwalk (rpt). I also heard he hit a sweet link of Flurricane > Pixie Flurry. After leaving the gym we hang out in a pub for a while and then I went home with Ales.

The second day started with the free breakfast at the event site. Club Lavka, where the tournament was happening was a great venue. It was right next to Karol's Bridge with a beautiful view of the river right out of the windows. Big props to Dexter for getting this place. Soon everyone was there and some casual kicking and warming up began. There were only three disciplines that day, so we had lots of time. Open eliminations were first. I was in a pool with Milan Benda, Tina and Michał Ostrowski. Only two players were advancing so I knew I had to play well to make the cut. Thankfully I only had one drop in my routine and placed second after Milan (who went dropless of course with a super technically-dense routine to an Irish tapdance song). Then there were Intermediate routines, which I didn't see because I was playing Two Square, and after that Women routines. Tina was first, Hania second and Jana third. When the eliminations were over there was a three hour break for some pizza brought by the organizers and getting some rest before the finals. Finals began with Doubles Routine, in which I competed with Gielnik. Our routine was "slightly" prepared, but went ok and we placed second. Tomas Tucek and Martin Sladek were first and Dan Ednie with Jana took third place. The crowd started gathering as Dexter announced that the finals are about to start. I was already pretty tired by that point, which took it's toll in the routine as I dropped twice in my shuffle section, but still managed to hit the rest of my routine which the judges rated as the 7th routine of the evening. The other finalist performed amazingly. Damian had a strong routine, but unfortunately dropped and finished on 5th place. Jorden did something I've never seen before, and I don't think has been ever done in footbag competition. He performed a routine wearing a long sleeved shirt, tights and a hat, using big, visible footbags. He might have not had the best technical merit, but artistically he was completely moving with the music. The crowd obviously loved the dropless routine with an amazing amount of variety and unusal tricks and concepts. The judges probably had a hard time giving scores since it was something completely new. I liked it a lot, and Jorden finished on 4th place! Then there was Marcin Bujko with a performance that sent shivers down many spines and only one drop. He played to Roxanne tango from Moulin Rouge and got a great ovation from the crowd. After him Milan stepped on stage and played flawlessly with a lot of density and good choreography - audience loved it and so did the judges awarding him with 2nd place. Vasek went last, and apparently after sensing the heat put on a show with his Worlds routine and sweeped the first place. It was an amazing final! Soon after the award ceremony started, and that was it for the competition that day. We stayed at the afterparty till about 4 in the morning, but then it turned out that since the time has changed it was really 5 in the morning :o Next day there was a shred session and an unofficial Request Contest, that Jorden won with the combo of Zulu Whirl > PS DLO. Gielnik was second and Olaf third, or maybe it was the other way around. Afterwards Jorden proceeded to hit all the combos that were not hit, like Fairy Gyro Mirage > Alpine Legbeater or Frontside Fusion > Barroque :D Soon I had to get going since the Warsaw crew was leaving and they agreed to let me go with them in their car.

That was a great weekend.

Pozdrawiam
Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 30 Mar 2009 07:03

Thanks for the write-up, I enjoyed that.

Radek
BSOS Beast

Post by Radek » 05 Apr 2009 01:52

Ners's articles always are nice to read. I really appreciate a job you've done and you are doing.

Wrc Foobag forever.
Born to challenge

TomTilly
BSOS Beast

Post by TomTilly » 05 Apr 2009 03:30

Yeah, nice reading :) I hope that I will see playing Jorden live which I couldn't yet. I also enjoyed your clipper tutorial video, it's a perfect job, and polish language is beautiful, even if I can't understand it. :)
Tilly Tamás

"The mistake is not to drop it. The mistake is not to pick it up."

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 22 Apr 2009 14:16

Time just goes so damn fast. I organized a jam here in Wrocław on last Saturday. It was a joined effort of WRC and the Strzelin crew (the second day happened in Strzelin). We rented a small gym that worked pretty well, even though the eletricity went out for about an hour in the middle of the day. We had five different events throughout the day - Sick3, Circle Contest, Request Contest, Two Square and Letter Contest - the last discipline was created by Radek and the idea behind it was to create combos consisting only of tricks that begin with a certain letter, and then performing those combos. The person that had the most contacts won. The jam went very well, and players were content even though it was pretty laid back. On the second day we went to Strzelin, and I played Net for the most part of the day and had lots of fun. All thanks to the Warsaw crew that brought their netset with them - kudos for coming guys!

In other news schoolwork is taking it's toll and the exams are closing in, which makes me uneasy. Mostly because I didn't really work hard enough for the last few months. Now I will have to catch up.

I got an e-mail from a sports website that seems to be pretty big - they want to get some information and articles about footbag and put them up on their site. Seems like a good opportunity for promotion. I'm already cooperating with another website that has tutorial videos (something like expertvillage) and I'm posting my istructional vids there.

Me and Radek had a session today, but I really didn't feel like shredding so I called it quits pretty soon. Must have been the weather.

Pozdrawiam
Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 30 Jun 2009 07:27

I'm back from Euros. I had an exam yesterday which I luckily passed (I had 30/50 points which was exactly the number I had to get to pass). The funny thing is that on my way to the exam I saw chimney cleaners, who look like this in Poland:

And there is a custom that goes that if you see one you need to grab a button and then you'll have good luck. I did it of course, and it worked ;)

About Euros - it was a great tournament, the organization exceeded my (and I guess most of other people) expectations. Unfortunately the weather didn't do us a favor (right now there are local floods in Poland), so Net suffered because of that (we couldn't set up as many netsets in the gym as we planned). Thankfully we managed to run all events. A couple notable things I remember:
- Marcin Bujko broke the Polish Shred30 record by busting a run worth 253 points during the eliminations. It was epic. Unfortunately he didn't repeat this feat in the finals, and got second after Milan. Marcin also beat Vasek in his Open semifinals group - good job!
- Damian Gielnicki prepared really nice routines, with some fresh artistical concepts. Unfortunately he dropped his final routine. Damian also beat everyone in the Request Contest, once again showing his amazing variety.
- Milan Benda is a machine! Really, not only he almost ripped the bag to shreds during the Circle finals (which he won), but also his final routine was top-notch, loosing only to Vasek.
- Vasek only competed in Routines. He won, since he's the best :)
- Sick3 had some really nice combos hit. Rafał won with Bedwetter > Plasma > PS Torque. Congratulations on your golden medal Rafał!
- Doubles were really fun to watch. Tomas Tucek and Martin Sladek prepared a very nice routine, but the execution was not perfect and their performance lost to Damian and Kuba, who wowed the audience with original tricks and solid punctuation of musical accents.
- Tina rocks. She has her own style of playing routines, and as a judge I just smiled watching her hit trick after trick in a planned fashion. With an flowy opening, varied middle part and solid flashy ending it was a coherent and enjoyable show. Props Tina!
- Norek beat the World Record for Ducking Clippers. Just wait for the video 8)

I judged a lot, and also played a little. Two square during the second day was really fun. I'm still unable to beat Wiktor's staple attack strategy. It's just too good. If I only had someone to practice with here :)

We had a shred session with Radek and Hania today - Radek is still progressing, and hit a really nice combo today - he will probably write about it himself. Tommorow we're playing again - Worlds are coming soon!

Pozdrawiam
Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 30 Jun 2009 08:45

Here's an article about footbag from one of the biggest teen magazines in Poland called POPCORN:

EDIT: It seems it's not showing, I'll try to fix it.
EDIT2: I think it works now.

Pozdrawiam
Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 13 Jul 2009 14:53

Epic 2-square action!

Today I got back from a sweet footbag jam in Nowe Miasto, called Mazowiecki Jam 2 (a fitting name, may I add). There were not so many players, but we still had lots of fun and went through a lot of events including Request Contest, Sick3, Most Rippin' Run, 2-Square and Doubles Net. I did quite well, placing in Top3 in all disciplines and winning Request Contest (which was only possible because Gielnik didn't compete ;) ). I also shredded a lot and hit some new stuff, including Infinity Swirl > Twirl BS.

Some more photos from the event can be found under this link:
http://www.footbag.org/gallery/showset/1825

There was a great, chilled-out atmosphere, we tossed frisbee, played some basketball and did all the things you can do to hang out with your footbag friends outside shred circles. I enjoyed my stay there immensely.

I had a good talk with Wiktor during the bonfire afterparty and he filled me in on some news about some recent events and future organizational plans.

Tommorow I'm going to have a shred session which will probably include routines practice. Looking forward to it :)

Pozdrawiam
Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 15 Jul 2009 07:04

I finished another instructional video, this time showcasing Legover:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4FXe3VRZVo[/youtube]

This took longer then it should. I'll continue with tutorial videos as soon as I get back from Worlds.

Pozdrawiam
Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 02 Oct 2009 09:51

I've just uploaded a video showcasing 2 Square. It's a short demonstration explaining the basic rules and a few advanced techniques. I warn you that it's all in Polish though :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGsEOhzBpZg[/youtube]

Pozdrawiam
Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 07 Dec 2009 19:26

I miss these videos,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCqTXeVq ... re=related

A lot.

Thanks for making so many of them, while you did.
Jay Boychuk

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 08 Dec 2009 09:18

Thanks a lot for that post Jay! There's going to be a new WRC FOOTBAG video in the christmas calendar, so I guess I'm not yet done with the shredvideos making :) I wanted to finish the instructional videos projects before resuming making more vids, but I didn't manage to keep up with the pace. I'm still planning to continue making them but first I need to pass my finals this year.

In other news the 8th edition of Zocha Jam tournament, which is the biggest international event in Poland ended last Sunday. I was the main organizer and I feel I did a much better job then last year. We managed to do almost everything we planned (I forgot to set up a stand where players could try and beat current Polish records), and I felt the participants were happy with how everything turned out. Cod already posted the final routines, so you can check it out to see what the level was like.

We also held a associations meeting where we discussed our plans for the nearest future and managed to create some concrete goals. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing them in motion.

EDIT: Also, lol at the Massive Tricks video. I didn't know it had more then 10 000 views and such epic comments :)

Pozdrawiam
Szymon Kałwak (Ners)