Ners' Footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Ners' Footblog

Post by Ners » 26 Sep 2004 08:57

I was thinking about creating a footblog here for some time, and finally I decided to do it :) I guess I will write about our training sessions here, it will be nice to read and see progress after some time. Maybe I will also write a bit about how I got into footbag, and about polish footbag competitions :D So let's begin!

Today we played for 3 hours in our little gym. By "we" I mean Hania (1st place Woman Polish Championships), me, Daniel (3rd place Intermediate Polish Championships) and Adam (2nd place Intermediate Polish Championships). Hania hit her first Blender and was close to Spinning Pdx Whirl, she was playing great. Daniel was working on his paradons, and hitting some nice tiltless combos with lots of 3 and 4adds. Adam busted huge, he was scarily close to Ducking Inspinning Mirage! He also tried Fairy Mobius 8O , and wasn't so far from it. I finally hit flipside PS Whirl, and a nice combo: Dimwalk > Blurry Whirl > PS Whirl. I'm also working on my Barraging set, and it's definitely getting better - I've hit some nice Janiwalkers. It was a great session, can't wait for tommorow. I guess I'll end here, because my friend, who got his new Lavers yesterday has just brought them here, and I'll mod them for him :D

Stay tuned for more!

Ners

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 28 Sep 2004 12:00

We had another session today, and it was great! We shredded hard for 2 hours, mostly in a circle, sometimes stepping out to school certain moves. We played to "Soundkail" CD, which was good for shredding.

Hania is getting pretty consistant with her Stepping set, hitting Ripwalks and Sidewalks midrun. She also trained her Blenders and Torques and they're getting much stronger. Her Legbeater looks great, and on one attempt she was super close to Tomahawk 8O

Adam busted 3 or 4 Ripwalks in a row, showing good control, he also hit Blurry Whirl and Ripped Warrior midrun. One of his runs with Smog was also very cool.

My friend Lechu who just got his Lavers (modified by me :D) had his first real training session today. He was playing great, schooling basics payed off to him - he should quickly turn guiltless. It's great when you see new players rising in our footbag scene (even better if they're your friends :D ).

I spent much time schooling single tricks that I have problems with (like Double Downs, flip Symp. Whirls, Pdx Drifters), and I managed to hit PS Whirl BS, Blurriest, Blurry Whirl BS, Double Spinning Clipper, and for new tricks Ripped Warrior, and Food Processor (I hit it yesterday). By the end of the session I was feeling weak, but I practiced Barraging. I have to spend more time on schooling Pdx Whirls, Pdx Drifters and Torques, so I could hit longer tripless strings. Also Double Downs needs practice. I just have to wait for tommorow :D

Big Polish tournament - Zocha Jam is getting closer with each day. This will be a great event! I have to prepare a good routine, and practice it a lot. But when I'll have the time to shred? :D :?

Ners

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 29 Sep 2004 11:12

I just came back from a sweet session :D He had a guest today - Damian Budzik (Polish Champion), and his presence made us all play better :D Shred lasted for about 2,5 hour and many great tricks and combos were hit. Some highlights:

Damian:
Blurry Whirl > Blurry Whirl > Blurry Whirl
Phoenix > Blurry Whirl > Bedwetter
Blurry Whirl > PS Whirl > Mobius off his foot...
Mobius > Torque
He buster great strings with lots of 5's and cool shuffle.

Me:
A guiltless run with Janiwalker and Blurry Whirl.
Matador midstring
Dimwalk > Ripwalk > Blur > Dimwalk > Blurry Whirl into a run
Sidewalk > Ripwalk (repeat) into a run

Hania got diving clipper after few attempts, and also busted Paradon BS in two runs.

I'm sooo mad that I have to go to a school trip tommorow and I won't be playing... But hey, next session with Polish Champ is on Friday :D Gotta learn as much as I can :D

Ners

Cod
Flower Child

Re: Ners' Footblog

Post by Cod » 29 Sep 2004 14:28

Ners wrote:Today we played for 3 hours in our little gym. By "we" I mean Hania (1st place Woman Polish Championships), me, Daniel (3rd place Intermediate Polish Championships) and Adam (2nd place Intermediate Polish Championships).
Adam Dziewior is a Polish Champion in Freestyle Intermnediate. Damian Piechocki has a 2nd place 8).
Michał Biarda (Me-how Be-r-da)

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 01 Oct 2004 15:46

Today we played in Inwest Sport gym, which was really great, but only to the moment it became so crowded that we had to leave... But we still played for good 3 hours, so I'm a bit sore right now :)

Damian Budzik was with us again hitting some really cool combos, like a run with Spin Pdx Blender, Food Processor and footed Whirlygig! I also remeber him hitting Blurry Whirl > Blurriest into a run. Oh, and he almost showed us Gauntlet, which would be the second time he hit it.

Hania was playing really good too - she got a really nice run with both Pdx Whirls and a Paradon, Paradon BSOS, and Ripwalk > Gyro Mirage as an ending of a long string. She also hit her first Blurry Whirl! :D It's great to see her busting those 5's :D

Daniel hit Ripwalk > Ripwalk for the first time, and also almost Alpine Legbeater. His spins needs some work, but he's encorporating more and more concepts and tricks to his game.

Adam improved his Stepping a lot, and today he could hit Ripwalks back to back like nothing. He also busted a really long string, that was almost totally genuine, it was impressing.

I worked my Spins a lot, and I mean a LOT :D It payed off, at the end of the session I could hit Spinning Clipper x3 > Butterfly > Spinning Clipper x3, Spinning Osis midstring on both sides, and got Scorpion's Tail by my first try (it wasn't my first though). On the other hand it was weird today - sometimes I could hit a nice run, and then suddenly start consistantly dropping on bails... I tried Montage many times, footing it on few attempts, maybe tommorow I'll be able to hit it, that would be great.

Spins are really cool :D

Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

P.S. Cod, you're right, I made a mistake. Of course Adam Dziewior is Polish Intermediate Champion.

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 02 Oct 2004 12:57

On today's session we played with shredders from Strzelin, a city not far from Wrocław. They're really good, and playing with them was sooo fun :D They have lots of style, busting hard and hitting suprising stuff. Anyway, the highlights were:
Damian Budzik hitting Blurry Whirl > Food Processor > PS Whirl, and two Fogs and a Bedwetter in the same combo. Tomek Ostrowski (one of the Strzelin crew) busted really nice too, I can't remeber exactly what he was hitting, but i remember PS Whirls, Spinning Pdx Whirls, very stylie Barflies, and cool Spinning Clipper > Peeking Clipper (rpt) midstring.

As for me, I hit a new trick today - Symp. Whirling Butterfly! It feels great :D . Damian challenged me to hit Barfly out of that set, that seems very hard though 8O . I also managed to hit Blur > Atom Smasher > Legbeater on both sides, and I think I'll go for Rubberman tommorow :D The most frustrating thing today was not catching Montage... The bag flew to the height of my eyes, but too far forward and I missed the hand catch :( But that mean it wasn't totally clean, so I have to practice it more. Oh, I also hit Spinning Clipper > Spinning Clipper > Scorpion's Tail which I find a really cool combo. In the end of the session we played 2 minute routines but with a little changed formula. I did one drop, and 360 adds by doing... 120 Butterflies :P Damian also had one drop on his 2 minute Butterflies :D It was really funny. After that we raced each other also doing butterflies (a drop is 5 sec penalty :) ) and then played another game - you had to stand on a line, set the bag from your toe as far as you can, then run and try to catch it with a Butterfly :D The best distance was something near 8 metres :D

My friend made me a new bag, and it's awesome. It has to break in a little more, but I already see it's almost perfect. It has a lot of filler, so it's heavy and great for shuffle. The colors are black and hmm... grey? The cool thing is that now I have two bags at home and I'll finally learn how to juggle them :D It's almost a standard in a routine now... Maybe I'll think up something new?

Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 04 Oct 2004 11:47

I'm in a bit of a hurry, so I'll write short about today's session. We played in Morskie Oko gym, there was me, Lechu and Hania.

Hania hit Twirl, Spinning Legover and busted nice long combos with lots of 4's. She also hit 4 spinning clippers in a row, her spins look really good.

Lechu is progressing very fast since he got Lavers. Today he hit 8 Butterflies, and it looks like he's going for guiltless. He already have basic bails down, decent pixie set both sides, few stepping tricks, and he's working on spins and whirls. He also hit a really clean ripstein, but... he didn't catch it :roll: It's some kind of a curse, me not catching Montage, he not catching Ripstein :D More work needed :P

I hit a nice combo with both Gyro Mirages. Also a nice Janiwalker out of Ripwalk. I also footed Spinning Pdx Eggbeater, a trick that had been on my mind for a long time. I made a goal to hit Nemesis to the end of October. Did some decent sets today, but no luck. I wonder what tricks were hit out of Symp. Whirling? I'll have to check that out.

That should be all, thank you and good night :wink:
Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 08 Oct 2004 13:49

It was very exhausting today. Only me, and Bucek shredded. In the beggining we played in a two man circle, it was fun, inspired by him I tried to hit Ripstein, came kinda close, maybe if I'll train it more... I can remember hitting Dimwalk > Ripwalk > Xbd Rake and Spinning Xbd Rake in the same combo. I also hit Blur > Quantum Butterfly midstring. After that we schooled some concepts by ourselves, I'm still trying to learn juggling, but it's not easy :D Then we got this idea to try and hit as many 5's as we can :D At first we went for 10, but we ended up on 20 :) To mention a few, Bucek hit Flog, Swirling Pdx Whirl, Fairy Eggbeater, Fairy Swirling Osis and others. I hit Janiwalker, Scorpion's Tail, Symp. Whirling Swirl and Butterfly, Ripped Warrior. It was a nice change from all those strings :wink: Just busting hard tricks and having fun. In the end of the session I tried to do a routine to random music and it wasn't so bad. I did 5 or 6 drops and finished it with a nice Janiwalker (I just love this trick :D ). Tommorow there will be more people playing, so I'm shure there will be something more to write about :)

Zocha Jam is near! :D

Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 09 Oct 2004 11:09

More than four hours of shred today :D I feel great. I played with Lechu, Daniel, Dexter and Adam. Everyone was busting cool runs and almost everyone hit something new. We also practiced routines for Zocha Jam. My best one was with two 5's (Blurry Whirl and PS Whirl) but with 7 drops :( I have to practice way more if I don't want to be last in my group :wink: Some highlights:

Daniel:
Whirl
Quantum Butterfly

Lechu:
Ripstein!
Butterfly > Rev. Swirl (repeat)
Swirl BSOS
Spinning Clipper BS

Dexter:
Butterfly Swirl Dragon
Sidewalk > Ripwalk > Sidewalk

Me:
Matador > Matador
Dimwalk > Ripwalk > Blur > Dimwalk > Blur > Dimwalk > Butterfly > Blur > Legbeater (or something like that, don't remember)
Ducking Clipper x4
Diving Clipper > Ducking Clipper > Diving Clipper

I'm starting to insert Ducks and Dives into my runs, I have neglected them so far, but now I want to learn them. I need to school my Drifters more, they're weak. Same thing with Pdx Whirls and Barflies. I can shuffle pretty well, so now I should work on downtime tricks.

Comments are welcome :)
Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

Seath
Craptacular Spatula

Post by Seath » 09 Oct 2004 11:23

looking good man! Keep it up! :!: :!:

I love your use of smilies 8O all over, makes your posts coloUrful! :D
The Goggles do nothing.

Do you like Mazes?!
Read my blog!

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 10 Oct 2004 10:58

Solo session today. I didn't play alone for few months and it was strange. I'm amazed that when I was starting I could shred solo so much. It's waaaay better to play with others. But nevermind. In the beggining i schooled Barraging, but quickly became tired so I switched to strings. This wasn't a good idea :D After some rest I decided that I'll just train single tricks because it's not so exhausting. So I took my list of tricks (it's taken from Fundamentals 2004 topic) and started hitting tricks in order. When I hit the last one - flipside Blurry Whirl it felt fantastic :D I didn't have the energy to try any of the other tricks (from uptime downtime combinations), so I just tried some new links and practiced juggling. I found out what I was doing wrong! I kept my leg too far from my body. Now it's much much easier. I think I'll learn it quickly now :) I have to think of my Shred30. I've never done it before and I want to try to compete in that category on Zocha Jam. Anyone have some tips? :)

Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 10 Oct 2004 16:32

awesome blog! It's nice to hear that Poland is doing well!

For shred 30s - try to use as many familar combos as you can - even if it seems like an easy link - if you don't hit it very much don't put it in there unless you have to. Try to write it out so every move is unique - that way even if you drop it a lot - you only need to hit about 25 moves to get a good score. Also have plans on what you do out of drops - easy moves that you can place the bag on a toe or drop into. For example I use pixie clippers (same and op side) as a restarting a shred 30 move.

Good luck!!

Hania
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Hania » 11 Oct 2004 00:45

Wow!! I just discovered this part of forum.. I didn't know that Ners is refereing our sessions here 8O :oops: :!:

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 11 Oct 2004 13:00

Hania wrote:I didn't know that Ners is refereing our sessions here
Surprise! :P :D

Thanks a lot for your words Jeremy! It's great to receive tips from such a awesome player. :D I'll try to do my best on making a good Shred30. I guess I'll write it on a piece of paper and start practicing.

For today session: There was Hania, Daniel and Lechu, and we played for about two hours. It was a good session, Hania played especially good. She hit Ripwalk > Ripwalk > Pdx Whirl, Spinning Osis, a great run with Blender and Torque and some other stuff like Legbeater midstring or Gyro Mirage. Her Blenders are getting pretty consistant, she also hit a really smooth and effortless Pdx Torque. :) Daniel worked on his Butterflies and did a nice Spinning Clipper midstring. I'm trying to convince him to drop out all his 2 adds, but he's very used to doing them. Lechu is also schooling his Butterflies and he's progressing nicely. I didn't hit anything new, just had fun in a circle. :D Tried some 5 > 5 links, came close to Matador > PS Whirl and Phoenix > Blurry Whirl. Mobius is hard 8O . I tried it so many times and only hit it once. Oh, I also hit Phoenix > Ripwalk > PS Whirl on my first attempt. It was my Sick3 from last contest (Zośka Party in Polkowice), and hitting it first try felt great. :D I'm still learning to juggle, now I can switch the bags 3 times almost everytime, but that's as far as I can go :? Practice, practice, practice... :) Zocha Jam starts in two weeks! And Ellis Piltz will visit us! It's just great :D

Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 13 Oct 2004 11:04

Nice session today, five people shredded - Hania, Daniel, Goozer, Stafi and me. Hania did some nice runs, her Torques look great, and she was really close to flip Blender. I had a great time playing in a circle, and hit two new moves! :D Drifter Xbd Rake and Paradon Xbd Rake. I also did a run with Matador and Sumo, my Sumo isn't very strong so I'm happy about it :D In the middle of the session I tried to do some combos that would be good for shred30. I even managed to hit a string with 17 uniques! :D It was:
Magellan > Smear > Dimwalk > Stepping Legover > Parkwalk > Stepping ss Legover > Pixie Clipper > Spinning Clipper > Butterfly > Pdx Mirage > Symp. Mirage > Butterfly > Sidewalk > Ripwalk > Sidewalk > Ripwalk > Pdx Whirl > drop on PS Whirl attempt.
That felt fantastic :D But I'ts definitely not enough to get a good score. I have to work more and put some more tricks in that combo :) Tommorow there's no school (Day of Education), and we're having a huge shred - I can't wait, it's going to be awesome! :D

Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 18 Oct 2004 12:29

Only 4 days left to Zocha Jam! 8O I just can't wait. It's going to be such a cool event! So many great players from so many countries... All the routines I'll see, and different styles. Great! :D

There was a session today, Hania, Lechu, Adam and Daniel arrived and we played for about 2,5 hour. In the begginning we played in a circle to warm up, and then we spend almost all the time practising routines, shreds, sick3's and all that tournament stuff :) I don't know why, but I always feel that I didn't train enough for the competition :? But I guess it's going to be ok, I've got a routine prepared and I think it's quite good. But at the same time it's hard, and if I'll screw up... Better think positive :P

I was pretty relaxed today, and had a great time playing. I hit a nice tripless combo which went for... hm.. 8 contacts? I also footed PS Whirl > PS Whirl, and I think that I'll hit it soon (flip PS Whirl schooling needed). I guess that's it...

Zocha Jaaaaaaam! :D

Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 25 Oct 2004 07:22

Zocha Jam ended yesterday. I think it was the best tournament I've ever been to (well, I've only been to hmm... 5? Nevermind :P ). The fun started on thursday, when Cod arrived in Wrocław. He was staying at my house, and ignoring the late hour we shredder in my basement from 23:00 to 00:30 :P We didn't play with each other for long time so it was great. I've hit Pixie Symp. Whirl and Sailing Butterfly for the first time.

The next day was the first day of tournament. Me and Cod met with Lechu and we went to the Inwest Sport gym, where everything took place. I shredded a lot. I remember a circle with Ellis Piltz and Max from Germany. I was playing with a legend! It was unbelievable... Later on I talked with him, he's such a cool guy! It's great that he flew from Canada to Poland. Thanks Ellis!
After that I had to stop playing because I judged Intermediate. The level is rising very fast, soon there will be many great pro players here. After judging I started to warm up and prepare for my routine. I was so nervous that my stomach started to hurt :P In my group there were: Vasek, Pavel Ćerveny, Damian Budzik (Polish Champ), Hubert Godlewski and other great players, and because only 4 players would advance to semis I didn't expect anything. When my turn came I stepped out and started to play. I don't remember everything, but I've hit Phoenix, Torque, PS Whirl and thought that my routine went good. When I stopped and left the playing area I was very happy and all of sudden I see Ellis, smiling, and he gives me a high-five and say something like "You did well."... 8O I think I'll remember this moment for the rest of my life...

I watched the other routines, I really liked Dexter's, he made a real show :D Then it was Vasek turn and he started his routine. I had an impression that he's no longer playing, but dancing. He hit a Symp. Flurry, and dropped Nemesis. Unbelievable skill. After the routines my friend said that I'm in semis. I couldn't believe it! But it was true. I was really happy.
I remember that when the first day was ending I played in a circle with Max Kerkhoff, Lise Thygesen, Godi, and a 14 year old boy from Zakopane, who could already hit ripwalk... It was fun! :D

The second day of tournament was beeing held in a club called "Szałass". It was a bit dark in there, but not so bad. The music could be a little more quiet :) At first there were Inter finals. I remember my friend Goku's routine. He played to nice music and placed 3rd. After that, there were Open semis. I wasn't as nervous as yesterday, and I did the same routine as in eliminations (I only prepared one :? ). It went well and the public liked it :D Vasek was in my group again and he ended his routine with Nemesis. Oh well... :D Dexter made another show and had a great ovation. When the semis ended Woman Freestyle started. It was great, the level of play is getting better and better. Hania Mickiewicz was 1st, Lise Thygesen was 2nd and Gosia Szpulecka was 3rd. Hania hit a nice string ended with Whirl > Pdx Whirl.
Then I saw the results of semis. I was in finals... 8O 8O 8O . <that> Ripwalk > PS Whirl. After Sick3 I shredded a little, then waited for the awards ceremony, and soon the tournament was over.

I must say that this was a great event. I'm sure that I won't forget it :D

Szymon Kałwak (Ners)
Last edited by Ners on 18 Jan 2008 01:27, edited 1 time in total.

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 27 Oct 2004 11:43

Funny sesh today :) We played in Morskie Oko gym for about 2,5 hour. It was the first time I played since Zocha Jam, and it felt like... like playing after a longer break which happend because of competing in a big tournament :P There were: Daniel, his friend (forgot the name), Paweł Czaja and me.

In the beggining I felt like I'm learning to walk, because my legs weren't used to shredding. My game was pretty chaotic :wink: But thankfully after some time I started to play smoother. I remember one especially nice string, which went for more than 20 contacts (I think). I hit both Drifters, Ducking clippers and other stuff in it and tried to finish it with a Blurry Whirl (failed miserably :P ). I also managed to hit Ripped Warrior midstring, that felt very good :) . I put some work into my Barraging set, and once did it waist high. At Zocha Jam I saw that Max Kerkhoff and Vasek do their Barraging with the leg going back on the first dex. I've been doing it more sideways, and that's not the good way. Can't wait for the next session!

One more thing - I was the results of Sick3 and Shred30 - I had 6 and 5 place! :D That's so great! Thanks for your tips Jeremy, they helped a lot :D I got a score of 107,3. I'll work hard to make it better on next tournament :D .

Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 30 Oct 2004 13:56

I've hit PS Whirl > PS Whirl today for the first time, and I'm super happy about that :D And Grifter! I was really stoked when I hit it :D I've also tried to do a spin after Xbd Rake, but it's hard. Maybe tomorrow. Hania did a really nice run with lots of whirls (regular and pdx), and schooled Barflies a bit. She can spin like nothing now, and it looks great! When we were playing in a circle I hit this combo:
Dimwalk > Blur > Quantum Butterfly > Ripwalk > Blur > Legbeater > Ripwalk > drop after Stepping - that felt really nice too. Came really close to Barroque, thats such a cool trick! I think I'll hit it soon. Lechu did a nice string with Butterfly > Swirl (rpt), and Swirl > Rev. Swirl > run.
Another session tommorow afternoon. Can't wait!

Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 31 Oct 2004 10:16

My dream came true - I've hit Nemesis today! :D It was at the end of the session, only me and Lechu were still playing. When Lechu said that he have to go, I thought I'll try Barraging a few times and then go home too. I founded that when doing the set from a hand toss, not toe > clipper > set, I did them much better. I tried Fury and hit it for the second time ever after few attempts. Then I tried Nemesis. After about 20 close attempts I've hit it. :D I felt like I was going to fly :D I think I've never been so happy in my life.

Szymon Kałwak (Ners)