Ners' Footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 28 May 2008 15:15

I made another short vid from today's session, which was fun, even though Radek was 45 minutes late (!). Finally compression works how it should work. There are some combos by Radek and me, there were two cool tricks that I was very close to, but didn't land. I hope to hit them soon in front of a camera.

http://www.footbag.org/gallery/show/14288

Pozdrawiam
Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

zeroman13
Post Master General

Post by zeroman13 » 28 May 2008 16:43

Very nice!!!!

I really liked Whirr > Blurry Drifter > Nova!
Wasabi wrote:Footbag is not materialistic; it's about challenging yourself and having fun at the same time.
Josh M.
My Website
Pm me for details about Munster Bags!

Radek
BSOS Beast

Post by Radek » 31 May 2008 13:35

Ners wrote:I made another short vid from today's session, which was fun, even though Radek was 45 minutes late (!). Finally compression works how it should work. There are some combos by Radek and me, there were two cool tricks that I was very close to, but didn't land. I hope to hit them soon in front of a camera.

http://www.footbag.org/gallery/show/14288

Pozdrawiam
Szymon Kałwak (Ners)
Why do you keep them as a secret :)? You want to surprise everyone or you forgot again haha ?:P
Born to challenge

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 07 Jun 2008 11:59

Me and Olaf did a short demo on some kind of a small festival today. It was all pretty standard stuff, we played to Eye of the Tiger, and showed kicking, shred, doubles, some unusual stuff. Unfortunately the audience was not really into our show, and our efforts to try and activate them (at least make the clap to the rhytm) were all in vain. I still enjoyed performing for a crowd, as I always do :D Between two entries we had, there were lots of kids coming up to the place where we were warming up, asking lots of questions, so we decided to let them try some easy tricks (it was too bad we only had two bags). They really liked it! Some kid asked me to show him my hardest trick. I went for flashy stuff, and first explained all the elements in Phoenix, and then hit it. All the kids were impressed, but then Olaf gathered their attention and hit Nemesis first try :wink:

The news of Shred30 cancellation at Worlds stirred up lots of controversy inside the Polish scene. This event is pretty popular in here, and many shredders were preparing a lot to try and fight for top places in Prague. I exchanged e-mail with Dexter, and he said that Shred30 will not be held because adds system is not perfect. While he has a point I think that a situation when an important event (second most important in Freestyle, for, like six years or so?) is cancelled two months before the tournament is very unfair.

It is completely up to the organizers to decide if Shred30 is run at Worlds, since only routines are mandatory. Still I want to try and show them, that by cancelling that discipline on such a short notice, they are not doing a good thing. That's why I've started polls on modified, and our national forum. If you have a spare second, please vote under this link:

http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=18827

It would great to get as many votes as possible.

Pozdrawiam
Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 28 Jun 2008 05:24

Hey Szymon,

I'm thinking about being in Wroclaw for a week before worlds.

How many players are still active in Wroclaw, and how many will still be in town the week before worlds?
Mathieu Gauthier

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 29 Jun 2008 14:39

Cool! There are already players coming to Wrocław before Worlds: Anssi Sundberg, Kevin Regamey, Ianek Regimbald, Andrew McCargar... I hope I didn't forget anyone. I can't assure you that you would be able to stay at my place, but I think it shouldn't be a problem to put you up. So yeah, it would be great if you could come, feel invited, I'll ask the rest of the crew about crashspace possibilities :) There is a chance, that there will be something like a preparation camp in Strzelin before Worlds, if so you could meet up with us and the rest of the Polish scene there. I'll be writing about that here for sure.

I still have one last exam to write, I've passed the other three, but this one is the worst. I write it on Thursday and my head is already feeling like a beehive. If I pass that shit, I'm a free man! Due to massive schoolwork I don't have any footbag stuff to write here, pretty sad. But soon I'll be back with vengeance! :wink:

Pozdrawiam
Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

dazza
Flower Child

Post by dazza » 29 Jun 2008 17:39

oh boy, do i look forward to that :D good luck and a calm head for you
on tuesday !
EASYKINKI

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 30 Jun 2008 18:44

What dates will you be at Strzelin?

I'm thinking of staying in Poland (2 or 3 cities) from july 29th till worlds.

Wroclaw for sure, if you say a lot of polish players go to Strzelin before worlds, I will go for sure.
Mathieu Gauthier

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 03 Jul 2008 23:59

I just came back from my last exam (Constitutional Law). I did pretty well, got 2 questions good, and one average. I think I should pass, and that means...

FREEDOM!

I'm getting back to hardcore shredding and filming :D

But right now I think I'm gonna crash, because after a sleepless night I'm feeling half-dead.

Matthiew, I will write the dates as soon as I have them. I think we will go straight to Worlds from Strzelin.

Pozdrawiam
Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 06 Jul 2008 09:08

Strzelin camp update:

The event will start on 6th August, and end on 9th. The Wrocław crew will leave straight from Strzelin to Prague on 8th, so that we have a little more time to accomodate before Worlds. The accomodation is free, and will be inside a gym. There are already some cool things planned, so I'm sure it will be a great opportunity to have fun and shred it up with players from all around Poland!

We are going to travel to Prague by buses, since there's still no direct train there.

I had a session with Agata yesterday, it felt great to bust some tricks after such a long break. I even hit Blurry Drifter BSOS :wink: Agata was super close to Drifter on both sides, she will hit it soon for sure! Today we did some filming, I hope it will turn out ok :wink:

Pozdrawiam
Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 08 Jul 2008 12:26

Another session today, slowly getting back in shape. Here are the highlights:

run with clip set Symp. DLO BS and PS Eggbeater BS
Gyro Symp. Rev-up
run with Plasticman and Flurry
run with Ripped Warrior BS, Alpine Sidewalk and Spikehammer

Agata is still painfully close to Drifter. She has good technique, so it's just a matter of time when she will be busting it all over the place. Radek hit Infinity Swirl BSOS, and some nice drills with Atomic set. Yeti, who has a minor foot injury shredded hard too, mostly because he never gets tired (at least that's what he says). On 12th of July we're going to visit Kraków and shred it up with our friends. It's gonna be a blast! I can't wait already. Hania is still super busy with her final paper, that he has to make now that she's finishing college (is that "thesis" maybe?). But soon she will be able to join us and shred it up.

Pozdrawiam
Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 09 Jul 2008 12:49

Today was drilling day!

Pdx DLO > Pixie Paradon (rpt)
PS Whirl > Rev Swirl (rpt)
Toe Barrage > ss DLO (rpt)
PS Mirage > Symp. Whirl (rpt)
Dada Curve > Barrage > Paradon (rpt)
Pdx Dada Curve > Dada Curve (rpt)
Gyro Mirage > Symp. Whirl (rpt)
Ducking Symp. Mirage > ss Symp. Mirage (rpt)

I shredded with Agata, and even though Drifter still eluded her, she made significant progress with Ducking Clipper and Illusion. I wanted to hit 10 new drills today, unfortunately I only got up to 8 when my left ankle started to hurt a little, so I took it as a warning and called it a day. Still very happy with the highlights.

Blast from the past: when I was learning to play, I didn't link tricks fluently. Any trick ending on toe, I would delay, make a small pause, regain my posture, and then set the bag up for the next trick (clipper tricks were an exeption since I could only make a hasty delay into some toe trick). This feature still shows in my game, and you can see it in many tricks I end on toe. Before setting the bag up I make a small pause :)

Pozdrawiam
Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 11 Jul 2008 13:42

New stuff from today:

Double Spinning Mirage BS
flip Symp. Rev-up
Whirl > Rev Whirl > Swirl > Rev Swirl BSOS

and a couple of drills:

Bubbabeater > Toe Blur > Tapdown (rpt)
Spinning Pdx Illusion > Toe Blur > Paradon (rpt)
Pdx Barrage > Paradon (rpt)

We had a three player session, with Hania, Radek and me. Hania finally finished her study, so now she will be able to shred with us again :) Today she felt very tired though (which might have had something to do with the fact that yesterday she was celebrating :wink: ) so I mostly played with Radek. I had a couple of promising shots at Triple ATW, I hope to work on it a bit more and finally hit this milestone trick :) Then I'll be able to move on to Mobius > Mobius :wink:

It was so damn hot, that at the end of the session I got a pulsating headache, but it was only temporary. Tommorow WRC Footbag Club is visiting Kraków, and we're going to have a sweet jam going on there. I can't wait already, it's going to rock. Too bad I have to wake up at 5:00 tommorow 8O :?

Pozdrawiam
Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 12 Jul 2008 06:22

So I will arrive in Wroclaw on the 5th of august, at 5:30 AM.

I got forced to a bad travel because no more tickets from france to wroclaw from the 3rd till the 6th!
Basicly, I will do Bordeaux- Frankfurt on the 3rd to 4th, then Frankfurt - Wroclaw from 4th to 5th
Mathieu Gauthier

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 15 Jul 2008 22:08

In a moment I'm leaving to Warsaw, where I'm going to meet up with my friends and have a shred session. Then I'm going to Nowe Miasto, where I'll join Gielnik and we're going to do footbag workshops on a 3 day youth camp. Then maybe I'll squeeze one more session in Warsaw before coming back here. Looking forward to the shred, not looking forward to the 6 hour train trip :wink: Anyway it's going to be fun!

dazza
Flower Child

Post by dazza » 16 Jul 2008 06:43

Its kool that you are back in full swing, Mr Kalwak ! You hit a lot of fat drills
lately, a lot of stylish and difficult stuff - but what i like about them the most is the fresh composition of those .

spinning illusion>toe blur>para rpt or symp whirl>gyro mirage for example,
those are interesting links to say the least .

I asked Anz and Jorden the same thing already : how do you guys organize your vast range of concepts in training units ?
I often have the feel that when i concentrate on downtime clipper stuff
for a coupla sessions, that my dexless or my toe shuffle suffers...you know
what i mean ?
What is your approach to solve that mystery ?
EASYKINKI

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 20 Jul 2008 13:58

Yo Daryl, thanks for coming by! About managing different components - I think a good way to do this is having a list of different tricks and trying to do them at least once on both sides on every session. That's what I do, and I guess it lets me keep the basics fresh. Still, and I think that's also true for most of other players, I also get out of shape with tricks I don't practice regularly. I neglected flip Quantum sets for a while, and now they don't work nearly as well as before. But what can you do? :)

I came back from the trip to Płońsk, I got to shred and play 2 Square with shredders from Warsaw and hang out with our BAPster Gielnik. The workshops we were running were not a big success, there was almost nobody interested. On the other hand, because of this we could shred and do whatever we wanted :) Before coming back to Wrocław traveled through Warsaw again and met my friends on a 2 Square Jam, where I had to play my matches quickly as my train was leaving soon. I managed to win all matches but one - with Wiktor Dębski who beat me during an epic battle :D So I got second, happy about that. I'm definitely looking forward to playing more Squares soon. But now I focus on freestyle and preparations to Worlds.

Pozdrawiam
Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 23 Jul 2008 11:52

The latest news is that Strzelin crew, that organizes a footbag camp before Worlds managed to get a bus that will take all participants directly from Strzelin to Prague really cheap! How cool is that :D It's going to be such a great summer, first the camp, with international guests, then a footbaggers trip to Prague, sweet week of Worlds atmosphere, and then another footbag trip to Berlin. This is going to rock!

In other news, today I was painting the fence, and because of that I missed our shred session. Looking forward to playing tommorow. Also today, I beat Assasin's Creed which was first game I played in a long time. The free-running stuff was really cool, but everything else super-repetitive. Still it was fun.

Now I'm off to eat some ice-cream :wink:

Pozdrawiam
Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 29 Jul 2008 13:21

I'm playing a lot lately, but it's so damn hot it's hard to do longer runs. Still it's fun to just hang out with the rest of the club and do stuff. Today we finally finished getting the footage to our new video. It's probably going to be the best video in the world. No, really :wink: Jokes aside, Olaf is in it. That should be enough of a recommendation.

On Thursday, Ianek Regimbald is arriving in Wrocław, we are all looking forward to seeing him. Some epic shred and squares ahead!

Tommorow I'm going to:
1. Paint the fence
2. Clean the house
3. Shred

NEW TRICK: flip Gybas :wink:

Pozdrawiam
Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 30 Jul 2008 12:47

Today was very busy, but to make it up the shred session was great. I had so much fun playing, maybe because Radek showed up, and brought some freshness into our session. The weather was good too, hot but cloudy, so the sun was not bothering us. We shredded and played some Squares too. Me and Agata decided to compete in Mixed Doubles Freestyle at Worlds. We still need to practice a lot if we don't want to make a total dropfest :)

Ianek is arriving tommorow. I can't wait to play some squares!

Pozdrawiam
Szymon Kałwak (Ners)