dustin's footbag stuff

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
rjadamson
Multidex Master

Re: dustin's footbag stuff

Post by rjadamson » 17 Dec 2012 17:01

Inside stalls in place of toe stalls are cool. I used to practice getting through the mirage drill with all inside stalls.

You should add monster to that list too. It's my favorite uncommon component for sure.

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 17 Dec 2012 21:13

haha yeah I love monster. Brian and I have spent a couple hours on it possibly with very little progress. Monster is just osis ending in an inside isn't it? I kind of put it with the inside tricks for that reason. Still don't really get it though.
Dustin Rhodes

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 19 Dec 2012 17:05

some nice flip barflys, gyro mirages both sides (need to get these so solid for mobious, vortex, surge help), and some weird stuff.

alex and brian did a cool infinity gyro toe thing and peter did some sweet swirling monsters which was nice to see.
Dustin Rhodes

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 30 Dec 2012 09:57

birthday session yesterday. First session in 9 days or so and I felt great. My muscles weren't as strong as they have been but my I had not pain anywhere so that's great. More just got into the swing of things but I did hit a couple of nice things...

stepping flying osis (peter's suggestion to hit flying osis for some reason it's easier then clipper?)
stepping flying legover - glad to finally hit this one
matador > symposium twirl - this felt so easy it was great
lots of blazing sets
some very solid mobious and some less solid flip ones
spinning butter > ducking butter rpt. is nice and easy for me now and is a fun repeat. I might try drilling for contacts of this I should be able to get it up to 20 or so I think. Flip ducking butter is the weakest component now (it used to be flip spinning butter).

Peter and I also made a pact to practice flip uppish timed around the world on flipside. My record was 8 and his was 11 so we'd like to get those up to 40 or so and be able to do double atw easily. It's ridiculous that I can do other stuff but can't do that. After that I think I'll work on drifters. I think those are the most basic/weakest areas of my game. I have no left foot dexterity control (left foot atw) and I don't lift my knees high enough (drifters).
Dustin Rhodes

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 31 Dec 2012 16:50

Last night I couldn't sleep and I suddenly remembered that I had posted about monsters, read your response, and then forgot to clarify. It only took me two weeks. I don't know officially what monster is, but I guess I'm also thinking about the swirling verison of it. I haven't been able to figure out who this is (actually after a bit of research I think his name is Aleksei Zhikin), but I love the far swirling monster from the beginning of his session:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPzq3ra_gqc[/youtube]

Maybe David can help with monster stuff?

I am going to start working my flip around the world more now too...

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 02 Jan 2013 18:34

yeah I love that swirling monster stuff. I feel like it should be similiar to twirl which I have down pretty well so we'll see if I can transition into it.

Tuesday session was fun because Derek was there but not fun because I was not playing well. Nothing really of note.

Today I upped flip ATW record to 16! Woo but still behind Peter who's now at 21.

Then I kicked with Brian and had a great session. Working on Derek's clippers made me realize something about clipper form in general and it helped a bunch today! I hit...

lots of painless cleaner then usual whirs
spinning butter > whirr
lots of spin ducks
14 contacts of spinning osis > gyro clipper now I Just have to get spinning osis this strong on flip
some nice mobious
some nice spinning whirls
some nice p blenders
lots of nice motions
so close to flip motion
flip barflys somehow were nice today!
9*reverse swirl

brian had some great symple swirls, whirs, and a bunch of other stuff as usual :)
Dustin Rhodes

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 04 Jan 2013 10:22

Good Thursday session from everybody. Alex had a bunch of really nice double downs and a lot of high intensity stuff. Brian's whirs were on again and he was also going hard. I had...

nice johni walkers including some midstring
whirling butterfly > blurrywhirl
lots of whirling stuff
some good whirs
some good spinning whirls
My gyro stuff is getting much better (mobious, vortex, etc). I'm setting it in a better place now which is good but I'm still not used to the new position so I'm still caught off gaurd when I turn around to spot it and it's in a different spot.
17 flip ATW and 15 going the other direction
trying to get downtime gyro toe which is a very cool move.
Dustin Rhodes

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 05 Jan 2013 21:06

Great Saturday. Dave was back but Brian's back hurt. Hit...

reverse swirling toe (new)
barraging far clipper (new, I need to mute it next to turn it into highplanes)
swirling monster (new)
pdx blender > motion super easy
matador > symp twirl
spinning butter > ripwalk * 20 contacts
spinning ducking clipper * 5
one double spin
a run with blurry whirl both sides, whirr, spinning whirl, pdx. torque, mobious, merlin. I'm pretty positive that's the most unique 5's I've had in a run.
lots of butterfly swirls, infinity swirls, and far reverse swirls.
Dustin Rhodes

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 14 Jan 2013 23:14

arg, having trouble writing this stuff up. I like having a record of stuff but am not wild about keeping track of it.

Had a session on tuesday with Jeff in LA. Played bad and felt close to hurting myself. This was my first session in lavers in a long time and I don't think I'll do it again soon. The soles, traction, and weight all made me feel way more likely to hurt myself. Only cool thing I hit was a 30+ run with a good number of 5's and far reverse swirl to torque. and my favorite link ever by me...

flying toe > torque

Great session today in MV with Brian. So much better back in the g-units. Playing tomorrow so didn't want to go to hard but I hit...

lots of ps whirls that felt strong.
lots of whirling swirls that felt strong
lots of butterfly swirls
lots of toesis
swirling monster > spinning clipper
whirling toesis
far toesis
I want stepping far toesis tomorrow. It's like ripwalk toe osis!
my nuclears were off the hook after not using them for a long time! I really wanted matador > johniwalker but couldn't quite get it :(

Brian's form is somehow better after my week of being gone. He's squaring up for tricks great. Also he hit some ridiculously cool kick stuff and toe osis stuff and sole stuff. We'll have to do a sweet weird stuff video.
Dustin Rhodes

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 16 Jan 2013 10:26

stanford session. No pain so that's the number 1 sign of a good session there....

lots of gyro toe stuff
butterfly gyro toe a couple times
whirling swirl somehow became pretty consistant, I just have to remember to throw it more
hit some whirr
nuclear is still on, I think all the stretching I've been doing has helped it a ton. I'd really love to get to a point where I throw nuclear midshuffle no problem because I feel like there are so few players who do. I'm close now, but need to just crank it up a notch on my good side and then get it equal on my flip.
ps whirls were good but not as good as monday
symp twirl was ok but twirl was just sucking so bad, I was setting them all gyro toe hight which is to low for twirl
barraging set was on, I think this set is about to be cemented in. I've been working on it on and off for so long I'm finally almost at a level where it's natural
a couple mobious and vortex but the sucked. What happened to these, my set got better but these got worse, I need to have another drilling day for these or something
the link alex was most impressed by, in the middle of a long run something like... toe ss drifter > reverse swirl > ripwalk > stepping far clipper > twirl
was hitting some merlins. I always forget about these.

Brians egg's have gotten amazing. I need to work these next mountain view session we have.
Dustin Rhodes

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 16 Jan 2013 10:48

What kind of stretches are you doing that help your nukes?

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 16 Jan 2013 14:31

Hey Ken, I do a ton of stretching in general now as I've been working towards the splits for 6 months or so now. My guess on what specific stretches help nuclear are...

pigeon pose...
I usually do it like the second picture there lying down more. More info here...
http://yogaheals.wordpress.com/2010/02/ ... -a-pigeon/

lotus pose (I can't do this yet so it's either just sitting cross legged or half lotus for me)

One of the main problems with my nuclear is that the window is so small it's never very consistant. These stretches have opened up my hips and allow me to rotate my dexing leg farther over with less effort. This means the window is bigger since the leg can get farther over and I can concentrate on the setting foot since the dexing leg takes less effort.

I do 40 minutes of stretching every night (for probably the last 5 months but I obviously skip days) now while watching battlestar galactica or twin peaks. The full stretches are...
seated bend, toe touch thing where I try to keep my legs straight and get my knees into my armpits
pidgeon both sides
cobra
childs pose
kneeling hamstring stretch
kneeling deep lunge
repeat for other side
frog pose (this one could be helping nuclear but I don't think so?)
side splits
repeat that sequence * 3
point toes * 10
roll toes clockwise * 10
roll toes counter clockwise *10
other foot
sit cross legged/half lotus for the rest of the episode

I'm making a lot of progress and I think it's helping out my game as well.
Dustin Rhodes

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 17 Jan 2013 20:49

some pretty good sessions...

matador > bw > bw > ps whirl > hand . I wish I would have tried ps whirl > spinning ducking butter > spinning ducking osis because I think I could have hit at least 1 more contact of that.
matador > symposium whirling symposium mirage
spinning ducking butter > spinning ducking osis

new tricks...
spinning gyro toe
gyro gyro toe
spinning butter gyro toe
symposium dlo
whirling reverse whirl
symposium whirling symposium mirage
spinning ducking gyro toe
Last edited by crazydwarf on 20 Jan 2013 10:35, edited 1 time in total.
Dustin Rhodes

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 20 Jan 2013 10:34

stepping muted op clipper * 18
spinning diving clipper and gyro ducking clipper although the gyro duck messed up my neck a bit
ripwalk gyro toe
sidewalk gyro toe
gyro toe > legbeater
blur > legbeater > ripwalk rpt. * 12 contacts or so
a string with 3 flip paradox taps, working on my flip nuclear
whirling muted far clipper
Dustin Rhodes

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 24 Jan 2013 23:28

bad session tuesday
ok session wedenesday
good session today although it turns out I hurt my quad on wednesday doing flails. Should be better on saturday, also my neck is still a bit wonky from last saturdays spinning diving or gyro ducking.

Today I did...
played super light on my feet
finally finally finally kinda figured out drifter (thanks to alex)
hit a bunch of vortex because of that
flip spinning ducking which I haven't done in a while
first 12 contacts of a shred 30 dropless first try. All unique and >3.5 add average, plus no bops yet so the back half would be easier hopefully. I just didn't expect to hit it first try so I didn't have anything planned out for after I'd hit it... should be able to get >200 if I hit it which would be real nice at worlds
like 4 double spinning clippers. I've never done that many in a sesison before. Spinning ducking and inspinning are helping a lot I think.
Dustin Rhodes

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 27 Jan 2013 09:54

woooo form!

tons of flip and strong inspins
a couple strong double spins
1 not terrible attempt at a flip double spin
drifters
pixies! (I'm attempting to trick my mind into thinking of them as ss stepping)
2 ridiculously long strings
Dustin Rhodes

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 29 Jan 2013 19:18

no alex :(
brian and I good form :)
brian squaring up and me trying to play lighter
matador > mobious
blurry drifter > stepping ss torque footed
lots of drifters/pdx drifters/ and blurry drifters
planned and hit next segment of shred 30 so it's now 20 tricks, still no bop still dropless. Add average is probably 3.7
lots of double spins, starting to get it I think
pixie is great as ss stepping
blur > dimwalk rpt.
pdx mirage > dimwalk * 15 contacts (so 3 flip dimwalks yay!)
pixie ducking mirage midstring on a string that started with pheonix
some hard links to twirl like blurry drifter > twirl
good nuclear but so hard to atomic out of sumo, I can step out of nuclear fine and even nuclear out of nuclear sometimes but atomic wasn't happening today.
Dustin Rhodes

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 31 Jan 2013 09:53

some nice double spins
some nice nuclears
yay pixies (at least on strong) weak pixies are looking up
matador > spinning ducking osis
Dustin Rhodes

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 01 Feb 2013 09:40

played in lavers and random shorts because I forgot to bring anything to session...

lavers are no good. They have so little support for my feet and they have so little traction. Honestly the clipper surface is a bit better but I hardly notice that compared to the other two things. I wasn't getting enough rotation on any spinny moves since I didn't have the traction I wanted.

Played gently and spent a ton of time learning far dyno which is strange as far blender is no problem. Finally kind of got it. Hit gyro dyno for the first time possibly? I don't know I've probably hit it before but this was the first time it's been done nicely.
Dustin Rhodes

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 03 Feb 2013 10:47

sumo > merlin
vortex > sumo footed
flip matodor, barfly, and pixie
lots of long runs
a double spin
midstring johni's
drifters and such