The Darkshredder's struggle

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 22 Apr 2010 09:38

That's awesome dude! Yeah, Ska's definitely harder to footbag to haha Mad Cads are the shit though. I saw a spanish footbag video a little while ago that used a Ska-P song. Pretty interesting.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 23 Apr 2010 09:40

the slams are pretty much the only thing i remember from last weekend
Pete Bowler
B$C
keeps it offah da ground.

617 FOR LIFE

Darkshredder
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Darkshredder » 23 Apr 2010 14:19

well I was going to let this muck of a blog slip down a few days but Matt swung by on his way to a gig in Rome so it deserves a post.

It was a good show for footbag and skateboarding alike. There was a mass of skaters throwing themselves over some concrete terraces into traffic. They're good at flippy board tricks. They suck as human projectiles.

Legball twisting went well. Matt played pretty damn good for playing off the drive-in and not stretching. He hit e-walk bsos and came sickeningly close to gyro barroque. Hit some long stylie runs with twirl and symp whirl. Almost mobiused a chick in the shoulderface as she tried to step to us. Bitch was crazy.

Me? Well I'd never hit twirl in front of anyone so I'd always assumed I was never clearing the rev swirl dex. Turns out it was. So I did two in a row which was exciting. Thanks, Holly, for making a juicy little bag of stalliness. Other than that, I played alright. Had a few long ones, a few intense-er ones, as well as an out of the blue pdx dlo combo strung to dimwalk. It was me mostly trying to be like "Hey I can hit more than 5 contacts from time to time".

Oh and fairies had a short comeback and sapped my string length for a few minutes. That's the price you pay to hit fairy beater I guess.

There were a few people who played with us, too. A guy named Gabe who knew Matt from Fredonia who wants to hack some more, and a guy who must take classes with Gabe who vaguely showed an interest. So now I just need to give J. Digges his kicks back and we can get this Syracuse Footbag Circle of Freestylers and Jammists underway.

Any suggestions to a name would be helpful.

Edit: Played lightly today. I have an idea. To skool some off tricks hardcore, I think I'll start a regiment where I shred hard one day, then skool. I liked how I played today. I hit a lot of more complicated tricks all bs (sometimes bsos) and I didn't break a sweat. For a session that lasted a little over an hour and a half I'd say that's pretty decent.

highlights.
pdx dlo bsos
pdx egg bs (very rare trick for me. I'm glad I still got it)
blender bs
frozen blender bs * new
weaving ss mirage bsos * new
lots of flip torque
smog a couple times, one midstring (BS)
smoothest spinning ducking ever: hit osis, clipper, and butterfly.
pixie muted ss osis bsos 8) Haven't hit this in years. Felt so good, especially since I have a flip pixie now. Pretty sure last I hit it I didn't have one. :roll:
Last edited by Darkshredder on 24 Apr 2010 13:26, edited 1 time in total.
Pat Thomsen
Syracuse, New York - The connecting point to footbaggers in the NE and Canada. We make pancakes and air conditioners.

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 24 Apr 2010 08:39

Lumberjack Slam
Pete Bowler
B$C
keeps it offah da ground.

617 FOR LIFE

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 24 Apr 2010 08:52

Central New York Footbag Association?

Syracuse Legball Faction?

Syracuse Footbag Association?

Hope we can play at Marshall St some more, and maybe get Gabe to get some lavers finally!
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

DTank126
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by DTank126 » 02 May 2010 13:19

Riddle me this dear Patrick, doth thou intend to attend thy noble NYC jam?
Doug Tank

Darkshredder
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Darkshredder » 03 May 2010 10:27

Verily, thy typ'd words hath jarred my right eye thusly:

Nah, man. Unfortunately I don't have a job and won't be able to afford it. But we're working closely at resolving that (just sent out two more applications).

Bloggin' news: I'm waiting for something cool to happen. Last week was 100% getting my portfolio into SU so I haven't played much. Got out yesterday and played well. Nothing to post, though.

I really really like homestyle lemonade mix. And peanuts are cool, too. That is all. Good=bye.
Pat Thomsen
Syracuse, New York - The connecting point to footbaggers in the NE and Canada. We make pancakes and air conditioners.

Darkshredder
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Darkshredder » 05 May 2010 13:47

Last two sessions have been good. Felt confident in pretty much everything I did.

I saw my best friend from when I was in grade school while playing at SU today. He's going there full time I guess. We chatted for a while and caught up with things. Then he went back to sitting with is friends.

Footbag, footbag, footbag. Do I really need one more thing that sets a spotlight on me as being alone in a crowd? Sometimes I get pretty embarrassed when people see me on a street corner or a plaza playing alone. They'd obviously be wrong if they think I don't have friends. Most likely I'm going to go meet up with them right after I throw my footbag on the couch and take a shower. But it sucks a lot.

blah blah blah, wah wah wah:
:arrow: pdx torque > pdx whirl > infinity > crazy low blur > dimwalk > pdx torque
:arrow: experimentation with barfly sets. I know what Dave Clavens told me. It works for me. But I find it feels cool (kind of) if I set the bag across my body. It forces my dexing leg to rise fast and dex super fast (by my standards). Just feels accurate. Too bad it's not as efficient as the way I normally do them.
:arrow: pdx tapping stalberger * new (so what if it was a failed attempt at pdx tap :| )
:arrow: some good attempts at blurry torque on both sides. I'll have this real soon I think.

Jin and Sun are dead. . . NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooicalledit
Pat Thomsen

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 05 May 2010 14:04

dude I cried. fucking heartbreaking... i'm gonna watch again in a little while on hulu...
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

DTank126
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by DTank126 » 06 May 2010 14:04

Lost?... Really? :lol:

Dude, sucks about the not going to NYC-ness. I should be home for a week or so at the beginning of July, maybe we can get in a session then or something.
Doug Tank

Darkshredder
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Darkshredder » 06 May 2010 15:14

People used to think by now we'd be flying around in hover cars and engaging in SPACE WARS. . But we didn't get around to that. So we have Lost instead. I'm guessing they'd still be really impressed and there would be widespread panic that black smoke monsters would come around all clanking and clicking and carrying on and such to choke some people out.

And Desmond would have his own religion. Called the Brotherhood. .. ugh that was awful. Sorry about that. :roll: I just thought of that while re-reading this. I could erase it. . . but I won't.

So we had a Generation II Syracuse Footbag shred. What was once Greg Pestillo and I hacking to Jurassic 5 in someone's climbing/fitness garage is now me and Josh Digges shredding on a Greek theater stage to some RJD2 and other some such jazzy good music(s).

A good session. I played so-so. Sos'd pdx torque but I frowned at it since the second was really sloppy and hit just about every part of me except the top of my head.

It'd be presumptuous to assume Josiah played really well, but one thing is for sure. Kid's got skill and he's back in the game by all measure of that sort of thing. I thought he played well. He's got style in all the right places and can bust some inspiring tricks when he feels like it. Blazing eggbeater comes to mind. I'm not sure if he's actually nailed that so I won't say anything but he got robbed from his first attempt. Saying he footed it wouldn't give him justice. The thing stalled. Then flew off to Vegas.

If you gave him a cookie he could hit mobius b2b. I swear he was close like 4/4 times and the last attempt skimmed the osis-ing foot.

Nothing new from me. Some strong strings. It was very off and on. Pdx drifter was being disdainful and otherwise condescending toward my delaying foot and would often make fun of it mid-time.
Pat Thomsen

Darkshredder
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Darkshredder » 15 May 2010 06:35

:arrow: I pulled my groin
:arrow: PS whirl can go suck an egg
:arrow: Josh hit the longest string of toe shuffle and came close to ps dlo.
:arrow: I'm not sure what I'm going to do if I can't play footbag today. I really wish I hadn't gimped out after an hour yesterday. Huge slathering of lamesauce.

GROoooOOin 'd
Pat Thomsen

Darkshredder
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Darkshredder » 21 May 2010 13:52

My big toe has been numb for two days and smells bad.
My back hurts from pruning juniper bushes at Wegmans for landscaping company that hasn't decided if it's hired me.
And I got into Syracuse University's Computer Art program.

I haven't played footbag since I got my job because a clipper would cause me great pain. I've never been more sore in my whole life. Fuck juniper bushes. Why can't I ever find summer jobs that are cool and keep my body from withering up and breaking?

Because I was an english major and Syracuse is a creative dead zone (professionally).

Once my muscles rebuild I'll get back to hacking. I really want to get good this summer. Especially if Digges is gonna be around.

Did I mention I'm going into Computer Art? ? ? ? 8) Level Designer and 3D artist here I come.
Pat Thomsen

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 24 May 2010 05:59

Darkshredder wrote:Did I mention I'm going into Computer Art? ? ? ? 8) Level Designer and 3D artist here I come.
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!! 8) 8) 8)

Darkshredder
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Darkshredder » 28 May 2010 08:01

yes it's taken me this long to recover. . . it's fun getting old.

I'm all better and I'm going to try and play. Either way I'm good enough to spend some time away from my house for a while. I've been cooped up for the last two days since my little stint at the landscaping place ended. I may take a longboard and a shortboard to the park with me just in case I'm not as ready to shred as I think.

I've come to the conclusion that I may need surgery on my foot sooner than I thought. I seem to have aggitated it to some crazy degree while I was crushing it in work boots planting flowers and pruning shrubs. So this comes at a perfect time in my footbaggin life /s.

Summer's here.

I've reached the 20-something year old range where people can become very interesting and productive and have incredibly lucrative and meaningful lives. So while I go back to school and get another degree I hope I can find something that allows me to join these ranks. Hopefully I'll meet some cool new people at SU while I'm there.

One of my best friends since we were in junior high still lives around here, but I seriously doubt we'll ever produce anything meaningful or creative, even though that's what people have been saying we should do for about half our lives (woah. . that's actually true. Half our lives. . crazy). Ironically, he and I are pretty much only drinking buddies - it's ironic because we never drank in high school and the first bit of college. Caffeine's a hell of a drug.

8 bit music is pretty rad. It fills a gap along the spectrum of emotions that music can soothe/evoke/nurture. Hardcore punk and several types of metal have their place, as does Ska which tends to make me want to dance like a fool.
Chiptune has a similar effect on me as other forms of electronica like Happy Hardcore but since it IS 8-bit it causes a whole other reaction, one of fond memories playing Mario and Tetris and Kirby. Oddly enough it also evokes memories of roller skating. Not sure why. 'Spose I used to rollerskate a lot around the same time I was playing a lot of arcade games and NES. :lol: oh well.

Oooof. What a post. I want to go make a sandwich and get ready to leave.

daaaamn mentioning Kirby makes me want to play kirby 64 again. Thank god it's like the only Kirby game I have left. Ssssigh.

fun fact: did you guys know kirby's original color was going to be yellow? :oops:

edit:
My groin is still tender and I thought shit was going to get real when I threw down a torque and felt my leg yelp a little in pain. It wasn't that much of a problem, though. If torque wasn't in the dice, I usually had it in mind to pdx drift.

Nothing too big. Just a recovering session. It was fine.
Clean vortexes both sides
Spinning butterfly > spinning ducking clipper
Spinning weaving clipper midstring
9/10 gyro mirages both sides
Some wild long strings spinning and never missed a spinning osis
2/3 barflies

My toe didn't get too messed up but my right quantum is starting to split at the ball of the foot. I'm sure you're all savvy to this happening to shoes. Well, it's happening. Again. I don't know if I want to shell out 90 bucks for a pair of Q3's again (though they're a great shoe I.M.(h)O.). I might make my rounds to check prices and colors of lavers. The first pair of 10.5 leathers I see I'm buying. Fuck mesh . . .

What About Bob is on TV. I'm going to watch it.
Pat Thomsen

Darkshredder
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Darkshredder » 10 Jun 2010 11:24

I hope I get a job at Dunkin Donuts. Why?

I like coffee.

im brokeandi waaaantajob?bcuztzen ill hav$toschpend& i w-nt'be angshuss n i censtartskool

skool is kool

You know what's funny? Footbag. I've never understood why they called it that. Which is why I have always and forever shall rehash its surname designation as LEGHACKBALLBAGdexGAME OF JOB 12:5-15 notationconfusion copyright ME in the year of my Lorde two thousand (and) ten.

:arrow: Risden is the shit. I still want to hack with that dude before I die. It'll happen.
:arrow: Prescription sun glasses are fake. All of the Time.
:arrow: Smoke is a cool trick. I like how I do it on my flip-side. I challege every footbag player in the world to hit smoke bsos and then drink a strawberry mango smoothie. Peanut Butter ice cream is a possible substitute but you're going to have to PM me about why you can't find a smoothie shack.
:arrow: Calm down. Drink some Sleepy Time tea for cryin a-loud.
Pat Thomsen

Darkshredder
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Darkshredder » 22 Jun 2010 06:39

my shoes are no longer playable I've decided. Time for barefoot schooling in the basement till can find a pair of <insert> and they arrive.

I'm really torn between what to get next. Mesh lavers are out I THINK. Leather's a maybe, but no store carries them for some reason. Usually ONE store around here has a Laver or something. But no dice. I checked all day one day last week. So it's either shell out 90 for a pair of Q's oooooor units? I want to say the reason I gave up on them is knee pain but I'm not sure. It's been so long since I played in them. Two years I think. Damn. I sure did like the way the bag sat for gunits. And enough great players use them. I may give them a shot again. It'll take a night of surfing the online shops and watching videos of johnny and chris dean to convince me.

Well barefoot shred means fairy and atomic school, which is always a plus. And I have a feeling this will be a long break from shoe shred so who knows I may make progress in the two areas. I may even get bored and try sailing and frantic now and then.
Pat Thomsen

abstract
Fearless

Post by abstract » 22 Jun 2010 08:16

nucleus have been a challenge, but i quite like them now. but they need some serious break-in time. i think they have helped my toe game & they force me to be accurate with my clippers, for better or worse.

can't really go wrong with Q's or G's, imo. i have fond memories of both shoes.

if all else fails, Monty Wards.
greg raymond, kingston

FB: Rocker Holliday

"What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby? Maybe we'll never know." - Jack Handey

Darkshredder
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Darkshredder » 22 Jun 2010 14:32

Word! Thanks for the post!

Nucleusssessi are intriguing, they really are. I saw a pair at GRASS this year. Think more were worn. I just wasn't paying attention. I'll check prices on them now as I "submit" this.

Quantums - fairly pricey and a decent enough chance they won't have them in 10.5. For whatever reason I get the worst luck, always seeing them in every size but mine. But probably the most sensible shoe for me right now. A nice balance of everything and I won't need to get used to them.

G-units - the epidome of the lazy clipper. It's been a while since I've hit a record for my conseq ripwalks :wink: . Cheap (usually). But slightly heavier than lavers and markedly so relative to Q's. It may ruin my knees if I switch to those. I'm recklessly throwing more double downs into my game. Probably was a good shoe to learn stepping and move from guiltless to tripless. Not sure if it's good for tripless to fearless. :?

Nucleus - the new kid on the block. Everyone says they hate them but they're good for their games. I saw THE video to see of them being used by Honza a while back. So a man of his skill can use them like a John Henry could lay down rail spikes. . . . but could I? I've yet to see them used by someone who's "on the fence" about them or "likes them for some things".

Not sure. I'll have to place an order by the end of the week or I'll start to ease back into my LA laze.
Pat Thomsen