Kankeri Japan

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Tjuggles
Flower Child

Re: Kankeri Japan

Post by Tjuggles » 09 Feb 2021 11:59

EDIT: TOP POST PAINTING!
Maryrose Crook: Herxing 2020
I saw this in Porirua at the art gallery and it really stood out. The painting is done on two canvasses, which are then put together vertically. There is so much going on in the painting, it would be a good one for a home because you would often find something new you hadn't seen/remembered before.

mtoolan wrote:
05 Feb 2021 09:11
cammel wrote:
05 Feb 2021 06:58
Thats an awesome move, props! Would like to try out grifters and fluxes at some point in the near future, those moves just look so cool!
I agree with this. TJ, if you have any tips on either I'd love to hear them.
Thanks you two. In terms of tips, I think there are a few:

1. Set straight, like you would for a p. drifter.
2. Finish the stepping set fast; the dexing leg needs to get planted quickly to become the support leg for the p. grifter.
3. Turn your hips towards the bag as you dex for the p. grifter. This does two things: (1) opens the dex window up and (2) gives more speed for the dex because you use your hips to provide momentum.
4. After the dex, turn your hips the other way, more than you think you should. This (1) creates momentum in the opposite direction, and (2) lines up your body to catch the bag in clipper.

Hope that helps! Thanks for letting me think that through; my flip still needs some work and this helps me visualize better.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 10 Feb 2021 16:40

Right, so I've had a couple sessions since the last session post. I have been kicking in the gymnasium. There are often bookings in there which will mean I need to find another spot, however recently there have been no bookings. Another thing is that I need to be aware that basketballs may come rolling my way, but it hasn't been detrimental to my playing.

5 February 2021
:arrow: spinning osis x7
:arrow: blender x2
:arrow: stepping ss osis > gyro osis > rpt > stepping ss osis

9 February 2021
:arrow: p drifter > drifter > whirl > rpt x3
:arrow: p whirl > 14
:arrow: osis > dyno > p mirage > op butterfly > rpt
(These first three are practice for shred30)
:arrow: gyro osis > gyro clipper x7. This is a PR!
:arrow: ripwalk x 8 > run
:arrow: DDD > barfly bsos (inspired by one of Ken's recent videos)
:arrow: 2-bag one foot x10 (right) x10 (left) x 10 (right) x 9 (left)
:arrow: vortex > mobius bs
:arrow: vortex > osis x 2.5

I made a note that my left-foot-set drifters get set and delayed to quickly. Slow down.

I finally cut the video footage I said I had from like 3 weeks ago. Just need to put it together and then will share it here.
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 11 Feb 2021 23:22

Tjuggles wrote:
10 Feb 2021 16:40
I finally cut the video footage I said I had from like 3 weeks ago. Just need to put it together and then will share it here.
Here it is:

TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 18 Feb 2021 11:47

Had a bit of a quiet week since the last session for a couple of reasons.

I found a company looking for a Clojure(Script) developer. All of the apps that I have made, as well as a couple of websites, have been with these languages. I felt that I couldn't pass it up, so I took some time applying for it. I have had a casual interview so far, and will hear back in the next couple days about whether or not they want me in for a formal interview.

Another reason this past week has been slow is because one the days I had planned to kick was pleasantly interrupted by my partner suggesting we go downtown for dinner.

At any rate, I had a kick for like 25 minutes, I forget when, and didn't take any notes. I was going on like 4 hours of sleep that day, so had to push myself to break a sweat.

My session yesterday was much better:

18 February 2021
:arrow: ss mirage > i-o atw > rpt > ss mirage > o-i atw > rpt. I like doing these sorts of links for warming up.
:arrow: toe-set spinning osis bs
:arrow: DOD bsos
:arrow: smear > PLO > rpt > smear > PLO > smear
:arrow: blurry whirl bsos
:arrow: symp whirl > butterfly > rpt
:arrow: symp whirl > symple butterfly > rpt.
:arrow: food bs
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 19 Feb 2021 00:01

Those toe set spinning tricks are a lot harder than their clipper counterparts (for me anyway). Nice working doing the toe spinning osis on both sides.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

TPP makes us smarter

Post by C-Fan » 19 Feb 2021 08:58

Nice to see video in the blog. Also enjoyed spotting this guy in the middle of the video, and feeling smart that I recognized it:
Tjuggles wrote:
06 Jul 2020 01:40
Mana Island; Don Binney; 1971; VUW.2005.1
See, the Top Post Paintings are making us more cultured people!

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 20 Feb 2021 14:49

C-Fan wrote:
19 Feb 2021 08:58
Nice to see video in the blog. Also enjoyed spotting this guy in the middle of the video, and feeling smart that I recognized it:
Great spotting Ken! I was hoping you would notice that. I have wanted to play in that spot for a long time, but old habits die hard and I always would go to my other, more usual spots. When the long room became unusable, I took it as an opportunity to finally get some video there.
C-Fan wrote:
19 Feb 2021 08:58
See, the Top Post Paintings are making us more cultured people!
Yes, I agree!
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 21 Feb 2021 11:46

I had another session last week, on the 19th, Friday. It was a good one; despite kicking two days in a row, I still had some energy.

19 February 2021

:arrow: butterfly swirl bs
:arrow: stepping ss clipper > osis x 4
:arrow: vortex bsos
:arrow: pdx torque bs
:arrow: mobius bs

I also remember having some long runs that felt bothsided. Those are the best.
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 24 Feb 2021 21:09

Some of these would link nicely together - vortex>butterfly swirl could be a cool combo.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 04 Mar 2021 16:54

boyle wrote:
24 Feb 2021 21:09
Some of these would link nicely together - vortex>butterfly swirl could be a cool combo.
It turns out that is easier said than done! I tried my last session or so, and didn't even get half. But I agree; it would be a sweet combo.

I have had a few sessions since my last post, just haven't made the time to update this blog.

22 February 2021
:arrow: op legover > out-in atw to inside > rpt x 4

24 February 2021
:arrow: smear > plo x 8
:arrow: op knee bump x 114. NEW PR!
:arrow: pixie ss pickup > pixie ss mirage (one side only)
I tried for vertigo > tomahawk but nope.

26 February 2021
:arrow: magellan > pixie ss mirage x 2

2 March 2021
:arrow: butterfly swirl x2. Progress!
:arrow: symposium whirl practice
I tried a bit for spinning butterfly swirl, but couldn't get it.

4 March 2021
:arrow: A good run of bs tiltless warmup stuff
:arrow: smear > plo > rpt > (butterfly > p mirage > plo > dimwalk > osis) > rpt
:arrow: magellan > fairy ss mirage x 4. Progress!
:arrow: motion bs on 2nd or 3rd try.
I tried for barfly > motion > rpt, to no avail.
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 08 Mar 2021 11:41

I had another kick yesterday. It is autumn here now, which means the weather will get slightly cooler. Wellington is an interesting place weather-wise because it often has days where there are similar temperatures in both summer and winter. Some summer days are quite cold, while some winter days can be quite warm. However, fall and winter usually sees much more rain and wind, meaning my outdoor days may be numbered. That being said, I have been taking advantage of the light-wind days by kicking outside. I suppose part of that is due to the longroom being unusable.

8 March 2021
:arrow: void bsos
:arrow: pixie ss mirage x4
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 11 Mar 2021 13:05

Had a kick-o-rama yesterday, a good one. Felt both-sided, and also practiced some bigger tricks. Need to

1. Take more video
2. Get more focused for Worlds

11 March 2021

:arrow: gyro osis > spinning osis x 3
:arrow: stepping ss clipper > butterfly > rpt > sidewalk > butterfly > rpt > ripwalk x2 > rest of run
:arrow: PLO x 14
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 18 Mar 2021 16:20

This last week has almost felt like a practice-for-worlds week; I kicked three days in a row! That is a rarity, but was feeling the need to kick and glad I did. Things have been really busy at work which means stress levels have been a bit high. Thank goodness footbag is great medicine for that.

Tjuggles wrote:
11 Mar 2021 13:05
Need to

1. Take more video
I have discovered I have access to a proper video camera and tripod through image services at uni. They are both in my office now and will be used during my next sesh. That may be today unless friends and beer tempt me more at the end of the day (Friday!).

I mentioned in an earlier post that I have started a club at uni: 'Just for kicks'. I took the name from the tourneys that used to be held here (with Floyd's permission, of course). I have been a bit lax in terms of keeping things up to speed. I missed out on the expo day which is usually the biggest way clubs recruit. I am a bit torn however because I am not sure if the people who manage the clubs know that I am not a student anymore. I assume they do since I know one of them, but at the same time I don't want to potentially risk losing the club by confirming. I suppose I am not sure if not being a student is even an issue, for what it is worth. I am especially sensitive to this considering I am in the process of applying for funding from them for 15 pairs of Quantums and 15 footbags for members. I have been talking with Dex up in the Northern Hemisphere and things seems to be moving slightly according to plan. The next round of funding is 27 May, so hopefully things line up well.

I have been trying more symple swirls (not so much ss though come to think of it), and I feel that these are helping me with motions. The quick shift in weight seems to be transferrable across both moves.

15 March 2021
Wrote down 'shred', 'sick 3', 'routine', but didn't purposefully work on any of them.
I also wrote that I was having trouble with flip smear > PLO link.

16 March 2021
I did a decent amount of tiltless warm-up. For example:
:arrow: in-out atw > op pickup > rpt > out-in atw > op legover > rpt > in-out atw > op legover > out-in atw > op pickup. That is good practice; I can feel my balance strengthening for the left toe stuff.

:arrow: dyno > gyro osis x2
:arrow: gyro dyno bs
:arrow: far butterfly swirl and far symple swirl bsos
:arrow: gyro mirage > pixe op muted clipper x2 first try
:arrow: pixie op pickup x4 first try

I was chasing toe-set spinning mirage x2, but couldn't manage even x1.

17 March 2021
I took some time to think about shred30, wrote some stuff down, and may or may not have put effort into some of the links.

:arrow: gyro clip > spinning clip x4
:arrow: stepping ss clipper > stepping op clipper > rpt > sidewalk > ripwalk > rpt first try
:arrow: gyro weaving osis bsos

A nice run with inspinning osis mid-run.
TJ Boutorwick

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 28 Mar 2021 19:33

I always found toe inspinning easier than toe backspinning. Maybe worth a shot if you haven’t tried?

That’s rad about the club stuff, but, yeah, tricky grey area! Hope you figure it out! I think we looked into this at some point and as long as a certain number of members are students then we would’ve been fine to form an official club (and presumably apply for funding, shred space, etc).

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 29 Mar 2021 01:34

Great stuff with the club, I think you're doing the right thing keeping things low now that you are not actually a student, but if you get proper uni students being active in a club, then there's nothing wrong with that at all. (Also in the future one of them can take over the organising stuff).

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 30 Mar 2021 13:43

Tjuggles wrote:
18 Mar 2021 16:20
I have discovered I have access to a proper video camera and tripod through image services at uni. They are both in my office now and will be used during my next sesh. That may be today unless friends and beer tempt me more at the end of the day (Friday!).
Nice! Looking forward to some videos! far butterfly swirl and far symple swirl bsos sounds awesome!

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 12 Apr 2021 13:15

boyle wrote:
29 Mar 2021 01:34
Great stuff with the club, I think you're doing the right thing keeping things low now that you are not actually a student, but if you get proper uni students being active in a club, then there's nothing wrong with that at all. (Also in the future one of them can take over the organising stuff).
Thanks Daniel. I think a great goal to have is to get to the point where students can take over the club; a line of succession.
Muffinman wrote:
28 Mar 2021 19:33
I always found toe inspinning easier than toe backspinning. Maybe worth a shot if you haven’t tried?
I forgot to give this a try. Will do, thanks! I'm not sure if it will be easier. Do you find it easier because the set is easier, in that you have more time to spot it than you would for backspinning?
Muffinman wrote:
28 Mar 2021 19:33
I think we looked into this at some point and as long as a certain number of members are students then we would’ve been fine to form an official club (and presumably apply for funding, shred space, etc).
Yeah good point. I saw Lara, the clubs manager, recently, and we were chatting for a while. I think things will be all good. The big thing I need to do is to open a clubs bank account with another club exec so that I can get the funds. That is going to take a bit of coordination considering we will have to go downtown to do it.
cammel wrote:
30 Mar 2021 13:43

Looking forward to some videos! far butterfly swirl and far symple swirl bsos sounds awesome!
I have posted a few vids in the last month or so. Here is the most recent one:

I have some more footage to cut so there are more videos to come!

Let's see, it has been a little while since I posted. I have been kicking regularly, about twice a week. I had last week off work, partly due to Easter, partly due to taking leave. It was so nice. I haven't been taking many notes of my shred. Instead, I have been recording a lot and pushing out vids. A tradeoff I am happy to do for now.

It is time to start thinking about Worlds.

Routines: I have a song picked out, and yesterday I went through it once or twice and just did some tiltless stuff, getting a feel for it.
Shred30: I have written down a slew of combos and have more or less been practicing them.

I think I made some notes from a session or two recently, but it is in a notebook at home so I will have to update later.

12 April 2021
:arrow: barfly > motion > rpt
TJ Boutorwick

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 12 Apr 2021 15:35

Gotta say I’m enjoying the videos! Personally I love having a video record of my footbag journey. I often look back on older videos and find joy in things I completely forgot that I could ever do lol. That last highlight is sweet!! I find motions so difficult!

RE: toe inspinning, I don’t remember why I find it easier. Maybe for me personally it’s easier to get a straight set and separate it from the spin? Whereas with toe backspinning I think I tend to pull a bit more and it makes the set more difficult to keep straight? I haven’t done either in years though

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 13 Apr 2021 03:30

toe spinning in any direction I find a lot harder than from the clipper set. Nice work working on them. It's not something I do often at all.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 14 Apr 2021 13:51

Muffinman wrote:
12 Apr 2021 15:35
Gotta say I’m enjoying the videos! Personally I love having a video record of my footbag journey. I often look back on older videos and find joy in things I completely forgot that I could ever do lol. That last highlight is sweet!! I find motions so difficult!
I agree with the videos; it is great to look back and see where I was at in my journey. So much nostalgia! Sometimes I think I am kicking harder than I ever have, and the videos of me like a decade ago confirm otherwise.

Thanks for all of the props! I find motions difficult too, and an easy trick to kick myself on. Since doing symp swirls and butterfly swirls, I notice some similarity in the motions of those and motions. Specifically, I notice that the shifting of my hips is similarly fast, rigid, and at around the same degree of rotation.
Muffinman wrote:
12 Apr 2021 15:35
RE: toe inspinning, I don’t remember why I find it easier. Maybe for me personally it’s easier to get a straight set and separate it from the spin? Whereas with toe backspinning I think I tend to pull a bit more and it makes the set more difficult to keep straight? I haven’t done either in years though
I was trying these in my last sesh, after forgetting to the sesh before (as mentioned in a previous post). I noticed the set was easier to set straight and separate from the spin. I got some footage of me trying them and won't spoil the footage by telling you here what I managed to do. However, I will say that the camera was on manual focus the whole time, so not sure how clear things will be. I plan to name the video from that sesh 'focus pocus'.
boyle wrote:
13 Apr 2021 03:30
toe spinning in any direction I find a lot harder than from the clipper set. Nice work working on them. It's not something I do often at all.
yeah toe spinning is weird; there is a lot more spinning happening I feel. Inspinning even more so.

14 April 2021
- gyro clip x10. NOTE: gyro clippers are a trick I never practiced early on in my careers, and I should have.
- p. mirage > DATW (i-o) bsos. NOTE: This is somewhat of a milestone; being able to do this, and foot it several times, I take as confirmation that my left toe is progressing.

As mentioned earlier in this post, footage from this sesh will be coming in a video titled 'focus pocus'.

In the meantime, I have released another app on Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ding_speed
It is a speed reading app, targeted at second/foreign language learners of English. It is used for fluency development, and has linguistic pedagogy at it's core. The app is free to download, has no ads, and contains 100 stories with more on the way. This has turned into a bit of a pitch for the app. Now the four of you here know about it...
TJ Boutorwick