Kankeri Japan

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Tjuggles
Flower Child

Re: Kankeri Japan

Post by Tjuggles » 08 Nov 2020 13:28

Tjuggles wrote:
06 Nov 2020 12:54
I took some notes from my last sesh but they are in my office so will post again on Monday.
It turns out that was incorrect; I did NOT take any notes from my last session. I wrote down to do ATW i-o x80, but actually only did about 20 before I started just messing around. Will likely have a sesh today. Will make sure to write down some notes.

TOP POST PAINTING!
Frances Hodgkins' work is currently on display at Adam Art Gallery. Here is one piece that I like. The tree in the background pops up again and again in her work.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 09 Nov 2020 18:31

Had a kick yesterday which is likely part of the reason I am pooped today. I think another thing is the weather; it has been cold (8.9C or 48F) windy as (47kmh on average, or about 30mph), and rainy for the last couple of days. Nothing like riding a bike to work in this weather!

9 November 2020
- ATW left foot set i-o x80 (four sets of 20). Still issues controlling and stabilizing the leg.
- Pixie muted op clipper > gyro mirage x2, first try
- quantum mirage bsos
- fairy ss mirage x2, x2, x2, x3, x5

I put up some more footage on Youtube:

TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 23 Nov 2020 18:34

It has been a bit quiet around here recently. I hope everyone is well. I have had a handful of sessions recently, just haven't gotten around to typing up the notes here.

I appreciate that Ken took the time to analyse my game and commented that my flip pixie (likely flip toe set stuff really) was weak in part because I wasn't keeping my dex leg on the ground long enough. I have kept in mind to plant firmly and reset balance before the downtime component. Thanks Ken.

11 November 2020

- Legover x32
- blender > gyro osis x2 (there is a video on youtube of it)
- toe set op blender bs
- dyno > stepping same clip x2

16 November 2020

- ATW i-o left foot x90
- op knee bump x 32
- toe set ducking op inside delay x 4
- pixie muted op cliipper > ss legover x5
- toe-set ducking op toe x18

18 November 2020

- vortex bsos
- 3-bag x15

23 November 2020

- ATW i-o left foot x50 (I wrote down to do 100 but couldn't find the motivation)
- toe set ss osis > osis > toe x3 (To work on my left toe sets)
- far legover < op osis x3
- left-foot-set smear x3
- gyro osis x17 first try
- dyno x9 first try
- nuclear ss clipper bs
- blender x2 (whirl-based tricks are not a strong point.)
- magellan > fairy ss mirage x 2 > PLO x2

I thought of these but couldn't hit them:
- flip magellan x5
- blink > toe spinning osis x2
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 25 Nov 2020 18:20

Didn't have a lot of time yesterday, but managed a shut-up-and-shred session. I had eaten way too much yesterday which was in part why I squeezed a sesh in. I wasn't planning on one since hack is on tonight due to Dave Leberknight being in town. Fun stuff awaits.

25 November 2020

- right-foot-set gyro muted osis x 5
- left-foot-set gyro muted osis x 2, then x3
- p illusion > magellan bsos
- right-foot-set fairy ss drifter > gyro mirage
- left-foot-set fairy ss drifter
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 02 Dec 2020 11:50

I have had two sessions since my last post. I haven't been sleeping well this last week. I have been doing things late at night, and then not being able to sleep. Looking forward to the holidays.

30 November 2020

- left-foot-set around the world in-out x100 (four sets of 25)
- gyro clipper > vortex x2
- PLOT x3, x4

2 December 2020

- left-foot-set around the world in-out x50 (two sets of 25). I noted down to do 100 but couldn't find the discipline
- fairy ss mirage x2
- inside delay > op pincher > ss inside x2
- gyro clip x8 first try
- gyro osis (right foot set) x9
- gyro osis (left foot set) x4, x3, x2, x1
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 10 Dec 2020 12:47

I have had a couple of sessions since my last post. I feel like one of the sessions I had I didn't take any notes. However, I did take some notes for two of them:

8 December 2020
- ATW left foot set in-out x25
- Personal Record: gyro osis > gyro clip x5
- some strings with DLOs and stepping.
- 2-bag juggling left foot set x18 first try

10 December 2020
- ATW left foot set in-out x100 (four sets of 25)
- gyro pickup > ss clipper x 8 total (i.e., not consecutive)
- a run with smear > PLO > rpt, and other bsos toe stuff
- Pixie op pickup x6
- fairywalk bsos
- toe set gyro toe x4, plus another random 2

I can feel my left toe getting better. Still a ways to go but it feels rewarding knowing that I am being methodical about my road to improvement.

I also took some video footage, including the aforementioned personal record. I need to put the shots together and then upload. I should have some time tonight (Friday, 11 Dec 2020). Also, today is my last day of work for 30 days. Exciting! Additionally, my 9am appointment cancelled meaning I have a meeting, one student appointment, and that is all she wrote for 2020.
TJ Boutorwick

mtoolan
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by mtoolan » 18 Dec 2020 12:57

I like that you include the session highlights in your footblog. I'll try to take some notes on my next few sessions and see if there's anything worth posting.

I too have been working a lot on toes. I was doing the exact same thing with ATWs this time last year. Glad to see it!
Mike Toolan
Penn State Footbag Club

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Challenge drill

Post by C-Fan » 28 Dec 2020 10:15

I've been air-shredding a lot the past couple months due to injury, and of course it's always stuff I can't do even when fully healthy. The other day I air-shredded blender-gyro blender repeat. I couldn't hit that if my life depended on it, but you are great at zooms so I thought I'd send it your way.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 30 Dec 2020 15:24

C-Fan wrote:
28 Dec 2020 10:15
I've been air-shredding a lot

I haven't been doing that as much recently...
C-Fan wrote:
28 Dec 2020 10:15
The other day I air-shredded blender-gyro blender repeat. I couldn't hit that if my life depended on it, but you are great at zooms so I thought I'd send it your way.
Thanks for the idea! My gyro blenders aren't that good, and whirl/blender tricks have been hurting my hip, likely due to poor form. That being said, I will give it a go.

I have taken the last couple of weeks off from shred, although not really on purpose. Since I am on holiday, I have just gotten out of the loop. It makes me realize how lucky I am to have a dedicated spot to shred, rain or shine. It also makes me realize how easy it is to slip out of routine.

I should be back kicking in another week or so, rested up and ready to shred into 2021. Until then, I mentioned in a previous post that I had some footage. I will get on that now and upload.

EDIT: Here is said footage:

TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 31 Dec 2020 22:18

Looking smooth TJ. And fast! It's funny about that sped up bit because you're game is like slow and controlled, which is not really like that at all.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 11 Jan 2021 12:48

boyle wrote:
31 Dec 2020 22:18
Looking smooth TJ. And fast! It's funny about that sped up bit because you're game is like slow and controlled, which is not really like that at all.
Thanks! Yeah I sped that bit up because I wanted to finish that trick on video to end the string, but kept dropping it. Thus, I sped up the dropping it bits. :)

So I had my first session of 2021 yesterday (11 Jan). As mentioned in my previous post, I took the holiday off from shred, although it wasn't planned that way. It felt great to rest up, and felt equally great (at least) to kick yesterday. The longroom had a bunch of square floor tiles strewed around. I am pretty sure they are the same tiles that can be seen in my recent video, in the background. I think they are going to re-floor it with those rubbery tiles. I am not sure if I will like it to be honest; I am worried that it may be too grippy. That being said, I am sure I will get used to it. Also, with more cushion, it will certainly be better on my body.

The tiles, didn't affect my shred though since there was still space to kick.

11 January 2021

- ATW i-o left foot set x25
- stepping ss clipper x 10 bs
- 24 contacts of ss Butterfly > osis > P. mirage
- 28 contacts of ss Butterfly > osis > P. illusion
- ss clipper-set far pickup > ss muted clip x14
- pixie ss inside > op toe x 16
- gyro mirage > pixie op clip x 4

I made a note that my posture/balance is off on my right-foot-set zooms. This makes consecutives difficult.

I didn't try the combo Ken suggested since it was my first day back (blender > gyro blender > rpt).

I also did some pullups, with some lower abs work after each set. I then did some xxxx with a bench-press bar (no added weight). Can't remember the name of the exercise: Grip the bar in the middle, keep close to body, pull hands up to chin. repeat. I am pretty sure it works rear deltoids...
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 14 Jan 2021 11:49

Tjuggles wrote:
11 Jan 2021 12:48
The longroom had a bunch of square floor tiles strewed around. I am pretty sure they are the same tiles that can be seen in my recent video, in the background. I think they are going to re-floor it with those rubbery tiles.
As suspected, they are retiling the floor. I went to kick yesterday to find a sign that said "Longroom closed until further notice", and the majority of the tiles laid out nicely across the room. I hope that the sign said until further notice because they weren't sure how long it would take to finish, and not because after they finish the floor, they will be allowing only gym members access, or something like that. Only time will tell I guess.

That being said, this week in Wellington has been one of the best weeks I can remember weather-wise. Wellington is the windiest city in the world, and the weather can often be crap. Both of those things make outside shred tricky all year round. This week, however, we have had a slow-moving high-pressure system on top of us which means light breezes and warm weather 23C or 74F or so. That means kicking outside was a no-brainer. It did mean I didn't get to use the pull-up bar, but surely in a week or so the room will open back up.

Some things I noted down:

14 January 2021

- knee stall > ss legover bsos
- gyro clip x 5 or so (first try)
- blink bsos (my swirls need work)
- grifter bsos
- P grifter bsos
- vortex bsos
:arrow: gyro muted grifter (right foot set only). This either the first or the second time I have hit this. I was close on flip, but couldn't land it.

I will remember to grab my old phone so that I can use that for music, and my newer phone for recording. Make more vids!
TJ Boutorwick

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 17 Jan 2021 09:08

Tjuggles wrote:
06 Nov 2020 12:54
Until then, here is a shortish run with some zoom practice. I hope it is educational and enjoyable:
Educational indeed! I've been trying to work on zooming stuff since this post, your osis form is so impressive and controlled. Really clear separation between the gyro and the stall, my osis are still really scoopy. Trying to make them more like yours haha. I agree with Ken, blender > gyro blender drill would be awesome!

Thanks for the dive/duck/weave/zulu drill suggestion! I was impressed with the first 8 contacts of that, wasn't expecting the next 8 :lol:. It will be quite a while before I get all those in a row, but I should start trying to get the weaving/zulu clipper one. Pretty sure I've actually never hit those.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 17 Jan 2021 20:32

Tjuggles wrote:
14 Jan 2021 11:49

:arrow: gyro muted grifter (right foot set only). This either the first or the second time I have hit this. I was close on flip, but couldn't land it.
Sounds really hard, cool trick!

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 18 Jan 2021 11:51

boyle wrote:
17 Jan 2021 20:32
Tjuggles wrote:

Sounds really hard, cool trick!
Yeah the hardest part is probably the set, followed closely by trying not to kick my knee or balls during the dex.

Tjuggles wrote:
Tjuggles wrote:
11 Jan 2021 12:48
The longroom had a bunch of square floor tiles strewed around. I am pretty sure they are the same tiles that can be seen in my recent video, in the background. I think they are going to re-floor it with those rubbery tiles.
I hope that the sign said until further notice because they weren't sure how long it would take to finish, and not because after they finish the floor, they will be allowing only gym members access, or something like that. Only time will tell I guess.
Time has told; my 7 years of having a perfect room to play in pretty much whenever I want has ended. I called the rec centre yesterday to see if the longroom was open and they said it was under renovations until mid-February. I asked about the door they installed and they said that was so that only members could access it. They also mentioned that they were waiting for equipment to arrive before they open the room again. This means that, even if I pay for a membership, there is a chance that the longroom will be filled with workout equipment. I think it is great they are taking advantage of the room so that more people can workout. I also think it makes sense what they did with the door since anyone could just walk in there and use the pre-existing equipment (if their makeshift gate was unlocked which gave access to the equipment). I was blessed to have that room. I haven't given up though; I will see about getting VIP access since I am running a club. Also, I have back-up spaces around uni so it's not like I have no space to play. However, I enjoyed kicking while others worked out, and also enjoyed the pull-up bar.

Speaking of other places to kick, yesterday I tried to kick outside but it was just too windy. I did manage about 15 minutes, then decided to go inside to finish the sess. As I got to the place I met up with a student I see from time to time. He is a talker; we ended up chatting for like 40 minutes which meant no more sess yesterday. I didn't take any notes, but remember thinking I had a good run or two that felt both-sided. I may kick again today or may wait until tomorrow.

Continuing to speak about places to kick, I suppose one benefit of not having the longroom is that I will be forced to scout out other potential places. There is one place in particular I would like to take video at, so this may be the motivation I was looking for.
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 18 Jan 2021 23:36

Yeah, I tried to go through the motions of this gyro muted grifter, that's certainly not happening for me anytime soon. Dad went to Wellington a bit of a year ago and said it was incredibly windy. Too bad about the great room, but like you said, a bit of opportunity to get some video in new places.

I'm not sure if you've seen but the 2001 Aussie champs video is up online. Someone was asking a bit of a "where are they now" question. I think you mentioned you play some hack with a few of those old players every now and then. I saw a couple of them did that cool video from Myanmar a few years back.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 28 Jan 2021 13:02

boyle wrote:
18 Jan 2021 23:36
Too bad about the great room, but like you said, a bit of opportunity to get some video in new places.
Indeed. Actually, I saw someone who frequented the longroom yesterday while I was getting ready to kick. I asked him what he was doing now that the longroom was out of service. He said he has still been going in there, and said that no one will stop you from going in. That means I still have some time left to kick in there before they make it members only! That is what I did yesterday. I also managed to record a SB one shot (posted in videos thread).

29 January 2021
:arrow: left foot set i-o ATW x25
:arrow: mirage > ss mirage > rpt practice. I hit x3 and x1, and maybe more (but didn't write it down).
:arrow: left foot set i-o ATW ss inside > ducking op toe x4 or so
:arrow: pixie op pickup x3, x3 set from both sides.
:arrow: right foot set gyro osis x6
:arrow: gyro clip x6, x4, x3
:arrow: barfly x6
:arrow: a run with torque, p. torque, p drifter bsos
:arrow: step ss osis x5
:arrow: left foot set smear > ss mirage > rpt > fairy ss mirage x7

:footbag: I made a note to lock my ankle so that my left foot is pointed out. This was helping with toe sets.
:footbag: I made another note for a routines combo: step ss osis > gyro osis > rpt

I have some footage from two shreds ago that I need to edit.
boyle wrote:
18 Jan 2021 23:36
I'm not sure if you've seen but the 2001 Aussie champs video is up online. Someone was asking a bit of a "where are they now" question. I think you mentioned you play some hack with a few of those old players every now and then. I saw a couple of them did that cool video from Myanmar a few years back.
I watched that video. It was awesome, so much hype! It was cool to see everyone. Floyd and Liam are still in Welly. We meet up almost weekly for hack. They both have families but are still really good at hack. Liam will bust a couple of freestyle tricks from time to time at the end of hack. Things like blender, food, inspinning, p blender. Floyd is athletic as, and is still on point too.

I would love to have another tourney like the 2001 champs...20-year reunion! Although that will be impossible this year. Once things settle down I wonder if we could get something together...
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 02 Feb 2021 13:17

Tjuggles wrote:
28 Jan 2021 13:02
:footbag: I made a note to lock my ankle so that my left foot is pointed out. This was helping with toe sets.
:footbag: I made another note for a routines combo: step ss osis > gyro osis > rpt
Forgot to tell myself to lock my ankle. Remember to lock your ankle, TJ. Also didn't practice that second combo during my sesh yesterday.

February 2 2021
:arrow: P drifter > drifter x8. Could've gone longer but accidentally caught the bag.
:arrow: ripwalk x12
:arrow: P grifter bs
:arrow: grifter bs

I also had some good bs runs.

A short clip of stepping royale is below! I think this is new for me. If not new then maybe the second or third time. Pretty sure it is new though. I remember Honza telling me he remembers every trick that he has hit. I wish I could remember!

TJ Boutorwick

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 05 Feb 2021 06:58

Thats an awesome move, props! Would like to try out grifters and fluxes at some point in the near future, those moves just look so cool!

mtoolan
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by mtoolan » 05 Feb 2021 09:11

cammel wrote:
05 Feb 2021 06:58
Thats an awesome move, props! Would like to try out grifters and fluxes at some point in the near future, those moves just look so cool!
I agree with this. TJ, if you have any tips on either I'd love to hear them.
Mike Toolan
Penn State Footbag Club