Kankeri Japan

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Tjuggles
Flower Child

Re: Kankeri Japan

Post by Tjuggles » 17 Jul 2020 15:19

cammel wrote:
17 Jul 2020 15:04
...definitely a lifesaver for me right now with no end in sight for our coronavirus lockdown..
Yeah that is for sure. Things are slightly different in NZ with the pandemic and I am really lucky to be here; we have something like 27 active cases, all in government-managed isolation. No community transmission, and things are almost like the pandemic never happened here.
cammel wrote:
17 Jul 2020 15:04
looking forward to the shred 27 video!
Thanks!
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 19 Jul 2020 10:59

Tjuggles wrote:
15 Jul 2020 22:02
Fuck FUCK. I admit defeat; I am not able to record a fucking 200 point shred. Boo. Fuck. What a shit feeling.
Shred 30 is hard, especially when you can't string 30 tricks together to save your fucking life.
TBC after I upload my like shred 24. Sigh.
Love the emotion. I know for a fact every footbagger reading this knows EXACTLY how you were feeling, because that's such a core part of being a footbagger. Like, it's impossible to get good (hell, even learn flipside clipper) at this sport without being uncommonly passionate and perfectionist, which means we also take the losses hard. I think I've felt this way about every event this Worlds cycle at some point.

Also props to you for recognizing that even though footbag can be infuriatingly maddening at times, we are lucky to have something we can get so passionate about.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 20 Jul 2020 01:34

C-Fan wrote:
19 Jul 2020 10:59
Tjuggles wrote:
15 Jul 2020 22:02
Fuck FUCK. I admit defeat; I am not able to record a fucking 200 point shred. Boo. Fuck. What a shit feeling.
Shred 30 is hard, especially when you can't string 30 tricks together to save your fucking life.
TBC after I upload my like shred 24. Sigh.
Love the emotion. I know for a fact every footbagger reading this knows EXACTLY how you were feeling, because that's such a core part of being a footbagger. Like, it's impossible to get good (hell, even learn flipside clipper) at this sport without being uncommonly passionate and perfectionist, which means we also take the losses hard. I think I've felt this way about every event this Worlds cycle at some point.

Also props to you for recognizing that even though footbag can be infuriatingly maddening at times, we are lucky to have something we can get so passionate about.
Yea surely we have all been in that stage (and I know you have been).

I had my first non-worlds kick today. It was great just to mess around and not feel the pressure. I worked on flip toe stuff, stepping muted clipper, and also sidewalk > ripwalk. Some things I wrote down

stepping muted clipper x 5
sidewalk > ripwalk > rpt x 4.75

I would like to keep to doing more reps.
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 20 Jul 2020 02:07

I played today and it was the first time I was just kicking around, trying some new tricks and not thinking about Worlds. Felt good.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 20 Jul 2020 12:45

boyle wrote:
20 Jul 2020 02:07
I played today and it was the first time I was just kicking around, trying some new tricks and not thinking about Worlds. Felt good.
Great to hear. I enjoy the push of worlds for sure. I feel like prep for Worlds alone pushes you in a different direction, and I can feel the benefits. That being said, it sure is nice to not have it on your mind all day.
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 22 Jul 2020 13:52

Had another kick yesterday. I ran a workshop from 4 to 5 which finished a bit late (since it started late), so only had about a 30-minute session.

Here are the notes I made (rfs = right foot set):

gyro osis > gyro clip x 5
rfs gyro clipper x 9
gyro osis > spinning osis x 4
blender > gyro osis > bs
dyno > gyro osis > rpt > blender > gyro osis > short run > (other) blender > gyro osis

That short run happened because I couldn't manage the blender > gyro osis > rpt drill.
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 27 Jul 2020 14:59

I took last Friday off and caught up with some mates. That is a nice option to have, instead of having the weight of Worlds on my shoulders. That being said, I am sad that it is finished; I enjoy the push that Worlds brings with it.

Here are the notes I took from yesterday's session:

- I worked on zooming stuff.
- pixie op pickup x 9
- gyro clipper x 13
- stepping ss clip > osis x 3
- clipper-set mirage > DATW (in-out) > ss clipper > rpt. This is notable considering my left toe is weak.
- p mirage > DATW (in-out) > op butterfly > rpt

I also did three sets of pullups after shredding:
a set of 8 reps, 7 reps, and then 4 reps.

FUN
TJ Boutorwick

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 27 Jul 2020 17:11

Breaking 10 gyro clipper is quite good, feels so easy to get 6-7 then there is a wall!
Mathieu Gauthier

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 27 Jul 2020 17:21

acxel22 wrote:
27 Jul 2020 17:11
Breaking 10 gyro clipper is quite good, feels so easy to get 6-7 then there is a wall!
Yeah, a wall of dizziness for sure. I feel like I should be able to do them as well as osis. But then that wall finds itself in front of me.
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 29 Jul 2020 12:52

Kicked again yesterday. I haven't been sleeping as many hours as I would like. This is mostly due to being busy with other projects.

My plan (i.e., the only thing I wrote down before kicking) was to drill stepping muted op clipper. However, by the time I got to it I was tired, and my feet were a bit sore. Need to remember to put the insoles back in to see if that helps.

Notes I made during shred:
I spend about 5 minutes or so doing clipper > ss mirage > ss clip. This was to improve my flip toe.

- stepping muted op clipper x 5 (only attempt)
- op pickup x 9, then x 11
- (left foot set) pixie ss mirage x 3
- fairy ss mirage x 3
- gyro clip x 7, then x 11
- gyro muted osis bsos

Daniel posted recently that he hit DATW in both directions, bsos. I tried a couple times and kept getting stuck on flip out-in; the set isn't happening the way it happens on my strong side. More practice!

My bare minimum goal for each session is to sweat. I won't let myself finish until I break a sweat. FYI.

At the end of the session I did some more pull-ups:
A set of 9 reps, then 7 reps, then 4.
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 30 Jul 2020 02:23

It's my fiip in-out that gets me most of the time. I think it's way harder than it seems it should be, but also really good because you are training on all the different ways in one go.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 30 Jul 2020 02:59

boyle wrote:
30 Jul 2020 02:23
It's my fiip in-out that gets me most of the time. I think it's way harder than it seems it should be, but also really good because you are training on all the different ways in one go.
Yeah I agree. That being said, I also feel that I should be doing many more single ATWs to improve.
TJ Boutorwick

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 30 Jul 2020 12:47

Out in is harder for the reason people do more pixie then fairy, it’s my theory!
Mathieu Gauthier

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 03 Aug 2020 17:26

acxel22 wrote:
30 Jul 2020 12:47
Out in is harder for the reason people do more pixie then fairy, it’s my theory!
Nothing like an evidence-based theory!

So I had another kick yesterday. There was a bit of action in the long room where I kick (and, incidentally, where most of my shred is recorded). This motivated me to push harder than I may have if I had been the only one in the room.

Here are the notes I made. All of these were first try, with the possible exception of gyro osis; can't seems to remember.

- magellan > PLO x 8
- gyro muted osis > osis x 6
- stepping same clipper x 1 bsos, then x 2 bsos, then x 3 bsos (each in different strings)
- 3-bag juggling x 3, then x 11 catches
- sidewalk > ripwalk x 6
- pixie op pickup x 4, then x 3
- gyro clipper x 13
- gyro osis > gyro clipper x 2
- Spinning clipper > spinning osis x 2
- barfly x 4
- dyno and blender bsos

I like that I managed some stepping stuff. I also like that I got some barflies in there. Need to get in practice of some different tricks.

Oh, I also tried this a few times but my left toe was not doing what I wanted it to and so couldn't land it:
- fairy ss mirage > tap > rpt

I was also trying torque > spinning osis > rpt but couldn't manage.
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 09 Aug 2020 19:36

Crazy how weeks fly by...

My last shred was Wednesday, if we don't count hack with the crew yesterday. I went in with a few pre-game goals. These were based off of personal goals cased off of what I DONT do a lot of, and also based on watching some other vids (notably Ken's where he does consecutive barflies).

- barfly x 11 (Ken hit 10 if memory serves)
- rev swirl > symp whirl bsos (I think Ken hit this too)
- whirls
- DLOs
- Terrages
- Barrages

What actually happened is the following:

- Barly x 4, then next time x3, then next time x3
- DLO > ss DLO > rpt
- mirage > pixie ss mirage > rpt
- 3-bag juggling x5, then x3, then x3, then x4
- Left-foot ATW in-out x 10

most of the above was done at the end of the session, and up until that point I practiced things like gyro legovers, bubba stuff, and other things to ensure my left foot gets more practice.

I will be shredding again today so will see how I go.
TJ Boutorwick

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 12 Aug 2020 06:50

boyle wrote:
30 Jul 2020 02:23
This is my exact problem too! I started as a stronger in-to-out player, but these days out-to-in is so much easier for me!

Your game is so smooth, TJ. Would love to see recent video!

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 12 Aug 2020 13:20

Muffinman wrote:
12 Aug 2020 06:50
Your game is so smooth, TJ. Would love to see recent video!
Thanks, Erik. Sure, no problem. I have some semi-recent stuff on my phone, outtakes from worlds. Let me see if I can get something even more recent. I will have a look through the stuff on my phone first, and maybe put up something in the interim.

EDIT: Here is one video in the interim, one I think we can all relate to. I sent this to Taishi and he said it was his favorite video. This was my last attempt at Shred 30 for Worlds. Listen with volume unmuted for best experience. Maybe listen with headphones in case you have people who don't like swear words.

Actually, I have so many photos and vids on my phone I think it is slowing it down. I have been wanting to move everything off and reset the phone to see if that helps with the slowness. Getting some new material recorded could be good motivation for doing this.

I have had two sessions since my last post. Both sessions were maybe an hour max. The first one was Monday 10 Aug. This session had many things going against it:
1. Headache,
2. Forgot notepad,
3. Left headphones charging in office,
4. Decided to break in new bags.

Perhaps as a result, the session was less intense than they usually are in some aspects. That being said, I noted down the following:
- DLO > ss DLO > rpt
- Atomic toe > uptime op legover > rpt
- Quantum toe > uptime op pickup > rpt
- Ducking op toe x 10
- Left toe ATW i-o x 10
- ss mirage x 22
- stepping muted op clip x 5
- Left foot ATW i-o to inside delay > ss ATW o-i to ss toe x 4
- clipper set DLO > ss dada curve > rpt

I also wanted to do the following but was unable:
- barrage > paradon > barfly > rpt
- barrage > ss dada curve > rpt
- terrage > pixie ss mirage > rpt

The second session was yesterday, 12 Aug 2020. This was the first session after NZ found a case of COVID-19 outside of managed isolation. The entire country has gone to level 2 of its 4-level system. Auckland has moved up one additional level to level 3 as a result of the discovered case being there. As a result of the increase in levels, the long room was closed. This meant I had to revert to one of my backup places. Luckily, there were not as many people around, and they had removed one of the three table tennis tables to allow for better social distancing. I took advantage of that and played in between the two tables. Here is what I noted down:

- mirage > ss mirage x 10
- gyro clip x 6
- blenders, dynos, left toe stuff, bsos in a solid 25+ contact string.
- smear > PLO > rpt 1st try (usually my left toe makes it difficult to do this first try)
- gyro osis > osis x 14
- gyro osis > gyro clip x 8
- stepping ss clip > stepping muted op clip > rpt

I decided to not work as much on my weaker areas (e.g., left toe stuff) because I had practiced them the sesh before. Additionally, I thought that my days at the gym may be numbered if COVID spikes again, and so I wanted to have a great time in the extra space I had at the gym. Usually when I kick at home in my garage, I am aware of the limited space I have. This is fine for practicing weaker concepts, however when I start doing longer runs with more familiar concepts, I move around more.
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 18 Aug 2020 19:55

Had a kick on Monday 17 Aug. As mentioned in an earlier post, NZ being in level 2 alert for COVID has meant that the longroom has been closed. This means I have had to use another location to kick. This location has been next to two table tennis tables. Monday was busy with both tables being used. As a result, I had to be aware of balls flying at me (that's what she said).

I noted the following:

- (left foot set) gyro osis x4
- (right foot set) gyro osis x2
- PLO x 17. These felt good on my flip toe. I was consciously adjusting to maintain balance, and still getting a decent set.
- gyro osis > osis x10. I wasn't counting this, but I felt like I was doing this drill for about 1 minute. I decided that x10 was a fair guess for how many I hit. I stopped with a hand catch and felt satisfied.
- drifter x20. Penske and I wanted to go for 100, and I remembered that about x7 in. Definitely would need more space were I to attempt 100. I did notice that I was able to relax the sets more instead of racing through them.
- fairy ss mirage x9. These are fun and stylely.
- pixie op pickup x3, then x3, then x3.
- 3-bag juggling x5, then x8, then x11.

I like the sets of reps I have been doing. I think that level of drilling has been lacking from my game and I would like to up the ante.

Another shred coming up today...

Erik, I haven't forgotten about that new footage you would like to see...
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 19 Aug 2020 02:48

Some of these are quite impressive - fairy ss mirage x 9, PLO x 17 are pretty good. What's the vibe like there in NZ - must be kind of weird that other places are having 5000 cases per day and are trying to open back up, and there are I believe 20ish cases there and it's into that quite intense lockdown. (which is what I would also do personally if I were some kind of bossman)

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 19 Aug 2020 13:06

boyle wrote:
19 Aug 2020 02:48
Some of these are quite impressive - fairy ss mirage x 9, PLO x 17 are pretty good.
Thanks. I feel that I should be able to do them ad infinitum, but still struggle with each one due to unbalanced sides.
boyle wrote:
19 Aug 2020 02:48
What's the vibe like there in NZ - must be kind of weird that other places are having 5000 cases per day and are trying to open back up, and there are I believe 20ish cases there and it's into that quite intense lockdown. (which is what I would also do personally if I were some kind of bossman)
It is weird indeed. I feel lucky to be on a small island tucked away, with the current government as it is. Before we had the outbreak a week ago, things were normal. No masks, no social distancing, everyone was working (at least in situations where they couldn't work from home like those in the tech industry could). I was not worried about catching covid. Now that things are in level 2, there is a bit of heightened awareness, with people having to socially distance, and having to sign in when entering businesses/uni, and about 30-50% of people wearing masks (at least in Wellington). Other than that though, things are pretty nice here. I suppose that Auckland has it rougher as that is where the outbreak is, but can't say much more than that.

Looking at the rest of the world, especially places like the US and Brazil, I have thought on more than one occasion "still? They still don't have it under control?". Not sure if that is a good way to think, but feel that they could have done a better job to contain it.

On to the sesh yesterday. I went in to the session having made a note to practice things like ATWs, DLOs, Atomic, stepping, and whirls. Some of them I did manage to cover, others not so much. Here are my notes:

- ATW left foot set i-o x25. these were done separately on each side, and there were 2 or 3 drops on the left toe.
- ATW o-i x25 bs. Some of these were completed in the drill below.
- ATW o-i > ss mirage x 10
- clip set ss legover > piie muted op clipper x 2
- gyro osis > spinning osis > rpt
- gyro osis > dyno rpt
- gyro clip > stepping ss clipper x 2 This felt nice, but also felt foreign, like I had never done it before. Good practice. I accidentally hit sidewalk instead of stepping ss clipper the third time through which is why I only managed x2.
- DLO > ss DLO > rpt (first try)
- far osis x11 (right foot set), x7 (left foot set). Both first try. This was in prep for spinning osis consecs, below.
- for osis > gyro clip x 3. This was fun, foreign, and I thought would be good practice for spinning osis consecs.
- Spinning osis x4, then x2. Seems that the previous two drills will need a bit more time to affect these spinning osisisis.

I also noted down toe DLO > fairy ss mirage > rpt, but couldn't hit it.

I may have another kick today, we will see.
TJ Boutorwick