RCS IN DA CLUB

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
bustinjustin
Fearless

5th Gear

Post by bustinjustin » 15 Apr 2016 22:32

Well my training is going at full throttle now. Played really hard today. Reps on top of reps on top of reps. Before I was hitting a combo and moving on. Today if I wanted to work on a move I hit 10 before moving on. I spent a lot of time on my flip double dexing, paradon, barfly and barrage.
I dropped a lot on my right foot clipper on Wed. and noticed it continuing today. Something needs to be adjusted with that foots crank and extension.
I tried doing some strings between drills but they weren't very good. They were more dense though.
I sped up sections of the video where I'm doing the same move over and over and slowed down moves I need to study for cleanliness. I think the blurriest>blurriest at the end is thin.
Please let me know if you have any tips or suggestions on what you're seeing from my game right now.
I plan on having 1 more session Sunday, maybe squeeze in a session Monday before resting till the event Friday so I'm fresh for an entire weekend of shred.
http://youtu.be/NQ6iK9tC580
Justin Dale
Videos

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Re: RCS IN DA CLUB

Post by Kylescook » 16 Apr 2016 07:19

As someone who didn't get to see your much of your game before this return to training, Your form is fantastic, I really like how much attention goes into staying on the toes.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 17 Apr 2016 11:47

Seeing Reilley back in action brings me joy, and his shred is bangin'. Stoked that you are still hooked, too, Justin. Hope the footage persists post Jamps.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 18 Apr 2016 12:42

Had a frustrating session yesterday. I pushed so hard and my expectations for my game are really high right now. Looking back at the footage I'm really starting to see some improvement. Although my game isn't where I want it yet. I want to be doing 30 plus contact strings with a little more density, variety and big moves without doing any of the spinning or ducking moves I used to do to extend my strings. So far I'm liking the look of my form and strings. I've got a good foundation to keep building. My dlo's were looking especially nice toward the end of the session. Reilley reminded me to do dlo>ss dlo rpt at the end which was inspired by one of Nathan B.'s recent videos.

We kicked at Greenlake, my current favorite shred spot. There was a girl next to us yelling, "free lemonade" every 2 seconds which was really annoying. I've been wanting to put music to my videos again so this gave me a good opportunity to do so. Took me most of the morning to figure out the best way now that I'm using iMovie for my editing.

I'm really into various forms of metal right now and have been wanting to add that style of music to my videos. The song is Ephemeral by Pelican. I know a few others have used hard music for their videos but I thought it would be a nice change of pace from the typical rap and electronic music our community typically uses. Since this song is copyrighted I'm not sure if it will play. I haven't seen any indication YouTube will mute it.

I hope that you guys watch these videos in 1080. I wish there was a way I could set the default to at least 720 unless bandwidth dictates otherwise.

The first shot is a dog that checked out the camera (I like leaving stuff like that in). The second clip is me being frustrated. I left it in since that's how I felt throughout the session.

I'm having trouble embedding the youtube link in these blog posts. For some reason anytime I click the youtube button it refreshes the page. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

This is a really boring blog post. Here's a video to make up for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRTArrIh7sU
Justin Dale
Videos

Allan

Post by Allan » 18 Apr 2016 13:27

The YouTube button is my fault for tweaking server security settings too tight. I'm working on fixing it asap, but it's a weird issue to debug. I might end up having to ease my draconian settings... There's a bug thread in the Meta forum where Kyle brought this up over the weekend.

Sorry about the hassle :(

PS will watch videos when I get home! Thanks for publishing!

bustinjustin
Fearless

Back from PA

Post by bustinjustin » 05 May 2016 22:13

Had my first session since coming back from the Jampionships today. I've worked out a couple times but my legs still feel like they are recovering even though I didn't kick that much. My confidence is running really high after this event and my body feels good. I ready to really start pushing my game. My back hasn't felt weak in a while although my knees have been aching.
I had such a blast at the jampionships. I go for the footbag but what makes these trips worth it are meeting and spending time with all the great people in this community. The NYFA guys were hilarious and it was really nice to meet them. I also spent a night playing one of Jorden's board games, Aluro(?)(so rad!), with Johnny Suderman and it really felt like a bonding experience. After this weekend I'd consider him a good friend and that what these weekends are all about.
I got about 4 hours of footage. I've got an extended cut of Friday's shred that I still want to cut down for the FB page and I'm currently editing about 2 hours of a circle with Jorden, Pipenberg, Johnny, and a rotating 4th person.
Big shout out to my boy Greg Wenner. He hosted me all weekend and went above and beyond giving me an exceptional experience. I got to live the College life again for a weekend and it was a blast. We partied a lot and played a ton of New Tetris. I was truly lucky to have met him last summer and get to hang with him as a host. Can't thank him enough!
I didn't film tonight. I wasn't really sure what I was working on and played loose. I can't film and play music right now but I'll be getting an iPod this week that will change that. I got some great advice from Jorden on atomic that worked really well, I just have to drill it a thousand times to make it muscle memory. I also tried extending my hold on certain clipper moves like Matt Kemmer because his style is boss. Everything I tried tonight helped my game. I just need more time to hone it. The exciting news from today's session was I hit pdx dlo>dimwalk btb for the first time in probably a couple years. I've been hesitant to bring back pdx dlos because I thought the hip change would strain my back. They were really easy and felt good. Definitely a confidence boost. I'm happy to have those back in my game. It's all coming back slowly. I hit a couple other combos but nothing worth mentioning.

https://youtu.be/59eJysKX4Os
Justin Dale
Videos

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 06 May 2016 04:35

Liked the Pelican video. I find those heavy instrumental tracks can work really well at times. Though they can be repetitive. Looks like your run length is really increasing. Good stuff.

bustinjustin
Fearless

Cut Short

Post by bustinjustin » 07 May 2016 12:51

Woke up early today, hit the gym hard, got a good work out in then planned on playing footbag for my cardio. Didn't expect morning classes to go so long so I went o find a spot outside to play. There's a park with a gazebo close by and it was a beautiful day.
I was just getting warmed up and everything was feeling great when the bottom of my foot started to feel bruised after a few attempts on Jani walker>blurry motion. Ended my session there, I didn't want to worsen what would be a quick recovery from a stupid injury.
Before I stopped my flip flurry was feeling great. Got 3 within 5 tries. Spent a bunch of time last session working on double pickups. Seemed to help. Flip flurry is not a consistent move for me. Also got both side fogs first try. And shooting dyno.
Justin Dale
Videos

Allan

Re: Cut Short

Post by Allan » 07 May 2016 16:35

bustinjustin wrote:Ended my session there, I didn't want to worsen what would be a quick recovery from a stupid injury.
Being smart about when to stop playing when you tweak something is so important. It can be a bummer to call session early when you're all amped to play, but it's worth it in the long run.

bustinjustin
Fearless

Fire

Post by bustinjustin » 08 May 2016 18:14

Had a great session tonight. Playing as often as I can right now it's starting to pay off. Didn't film today just wanted to focus on drills. If I hit a drill, but wasn't satisfied that is was perfect I kept doing it until I got it right. Previously I have been moving on if I hit something regardless of my form, balance, or unwanted contact. Usually because I didn't think I could hit the combo again if I didn't get it very well the first time. Now, I know I can get it and do it better.
Today I hit:
Double pickup>open muted clip rpt
Double pickup>drifter>ripwalk rpt
Paradon>pdx dlo rpt
Ss drifter>dbl pickup rpt (Kemmer combo)
Paradon>dbl pickup rpt
Barrage>toe dyno rpt
Pdx drifter>pdx dlo bs (right side needs tightening) (it's huge that I can put my back through this combo)
Nuclear tap>dimwalk rpt
Ripped warrior>sidewalk rpt
Vortex>drifter rpt
Jani walker>blurry motion
Flip blurry motion
Drifter>symp whip rpt
Flip spin whip
Atomic ss down>dbl pick up bs
Blur>atomic ss down rpt

The last combo blur>atomic ss down was my favorite. Since Jorden gave me atomic advice I love working on it. I finally have 1 thing to focus on to hit atomic right. I've been lost on that move for so long and now it's very clear. Atomic ducking is going to be so easy too. I can already feel it.
Alan, I'm planning a trip to come up and play with you.
Justin Dale
Videos

bustinjustin
Fearless

Bump

Post by bustinjustin » 17 May 2016 21:47

Every day getting to play footbag is a gift. I love this sport so much.

After my last session I was feeling really great. I always want to push so hard. My next workout I thought I was feeling good enough to do kettle bell swings and could add them back to my routine. I did a very light weight 15 pounds, 4 sets of 20. I think 80 was too many reps. Had to take a couple days to recover. Nothing serious, very mild discomfort, but I wasn't able to footbag. My training is 2 steps forward 1 step back.
My girlfriends parents were in town this weekend. I was able to get back in the gym for a workout but no kicking until tonight. Was not able to hit much of anything but I didn't work on many concepts. Mostly atomic and high plains drifter which I have never hit but figured I could get within a few tries. I was wrong, but also very close on many attempts.

Today I hit:
Alpine legbeater
Smog>open legover rpt
Open drifter>ripwalk>blur rpt
Dbl pickup>ss rake bs

I wanted to push my atom smasher record but I still have a ways to go on making my atomic adjustment muscle memory and had to simplify the training. Did a lot of atomic>toe rpt and blur>legbeater.

Playing with Allan this weekend so I'm hoping to get a session that's 2 steps forward again.
Justin Dale
Videos

bustinjustin
Fearless

Footbag good

Post by bustinjustin » 19 May 2016 20:22

Operation "footbag good to play with Allan good and do other stuff good too" was under way tonight. Super pumped for this trip. It's really cheap too. If this goes well I am going to do this more often.
Had a real hard time getting started tonight. still had fun and felt like I got some good work in.

Today I hit:
Barrage>open muted swirl (name?) bs
Dyno>rev swirl btb
Open drifter (smoke)>pdx dlo bs
Ripwalk x 30
Alpine legbeater bs (first time flip)

Ive forgotten a lot of move names, need to relearn.

There was a girl practicing modern dance in the room with me tonight. Pretty cool and inspiring. She started off her session doing perfect quadruple spins. She ended putting together the routine she was working on to music.
Justin Dale
Videos

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 20 May 2016 04:47

These combos are no good to play with Allan. Here are some for you to try.

spin clip>gyro clip rpt (x5) (20 contacts total). I originally had that as x10 but I think that's a bit much.
double spinning clipper x 2
spinning clipper>spinning ducking clipper>gyro clipper rpt
spinning clipper>double spinning clipper>gyro clipper rpt
spender>spinning ducking osis
double spinning clipper>double gyro clipper

That should get you prepared to be "dizzy"...

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 11 Jun 2016 23:10

Been a long time since I posted. Been kicking with Dan and Reilley the last two weeks. At the Folklife Festival and Green Lake respectively. Both sessions were a lot of fun.
Some of the highlights of my solo sessions since I last posted:

blurry whip>whirl rpt
barrage>paradon>whirl>drifter rpt
swirl>swirl>swirl>whirling swirl bsos
dyno>dlo rpt
legbeater>flurry flip
dimwalk>pdx dlo rpt
smear>atom smasher rpt x2
legbeater>ripwalk>blur rpt staring both sides
atomic osis bs

I can't believe I haven't posted since I kicked with Allan. It was such a good time. Our first session was lit. I got some great footage and posted a video on Facebook.
We took it easy that evening, watched footage, Star Wars Clone Wars, Allan cooked a great dinner in his crock pot and I drank a lot.

Next day I tried getting footage from our second session but as Allan mentioned in his blog it didn't work.
Allan wrote:Something happened to the second day footage and the camera cut out after 16 minutes
Then we went and saw Captain America: Civil War and got pizza before I caught the boat home. Such a great time. Allan was such a great host, will definitely be headed back up there soon. I'm itching to get more footage of us kicking together. The Facebook response was really enjoyable.

Got something special for the blog today. Here's the b-side to the video I released on Facebook. It's the rest of the session from the first day kicking with Allan. I've had the video done for a while, but figuring out music always takes me a while.
Justin Dale
Videos

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 15 Jun 2016 23:01

Went to the gym at 6:30 to play tonight and forgot there's a class in my training room till 7:30. I got a hard work out in yesterday but didn't have much else to do so I worked out for an hour before my session. Was pretty tired by the time I kicked.
I've completely lost all my fearless, beastly and 7's since my back injury. I've been spending so much time on getting the rest of my game back I thought it would be fun to have a fearless day. I went for combos of 3. I also played Sunday.

I hit:
6/12
Open legover>dlo>symp mirage rpt
Barfly>whirl rpt
Swirl x 15 good x 10 flip
Pdx dlo>paradon rpt
Stepping whip>ripwalk rpt
Twist>dbl pickup>open muted clip (edit) rpt
Blur>smear>symp mirage>dimwalk rpt
Sweep (open muted swirl(edit))>dbl pickup rpt
Rev whirlwind flip

6/15
Phoenix>blurry whirl>motion
Ripped warrior>blurry whirl>mobius
Spin duck down>spin duck osis>motion
Spin duck down>mobius>motion
Blurriest>blurry whirl>motion
Ripped warrior>blurriest>blurry whirl

All blurry whirls are flip. I will never be able to do a good side pdx whirl motion again. No blurry whirls, tomahawks, ps whirls, mullets, spin whirl etc. really the bread and butter of my fearless, beastly and 7's. Have to build it up again from scratch.

I had many more fearless combos to try and I wanted to work my way up to combos of 5 moves but got too tired and my phone died. My motivation dropped off along with the music. Will go for another fearless day next session. Would like to film since it would make for enjoyable footage.

Oh and people are posting music in their blogs. I would like to get in on the action. Here's a couple of my favorite bands, although I don't really expect anyone to like it.
This 3 piece band is especially good, crust/sludge/weed core. 1st song is so unique and special. Second song a little more typical/accessible.
Last edited by bustinjustin on 16 Jun 2016 12:48, edited 2 times in total.
Justin Dale
Videos

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 15 Jun 2016 23:52

Nice highlight and I enjoyed the videos from your Allan visit a lot.

I like the name Sweep. I will start using that.

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 16 Jun 2016 09:15

Allan & yourself make a killer shred duo, thanks for the footy.

Super stoked to chill with ya on the other side of the country now :)
Kevin Hogan

BSC

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 16 Jun 2016 12:35

Asmus wrote:I like the name Sweep. I will start using that.
I know right! I feel like Gatesman and a couple other guys have really brought that move to the forefront but I get so sick of writing open muted swirl. I thought we call drifter swirl swifter so it made sense to call open muted swirl sweep. The name fits the family of moves and seems descriptive. Feels like a sweep with the leg. Glad you like it, I'm hoping to get it to catch on. Now if we can just rename spinning ducking down and spinning ducking osis. Sick of writing those too and ripped warrior has such a cool name, these spin versions need something similar.
Justin Dale
Videos

christisgodlike
Shredaholic

Post by christisgodlike » 16 Jun 2016 17:45

I dream every day of hitting "sweep." Im glad it has a dope name now too.

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 22 Jun 2016 21:31

F'n sucks.

Really down about my game right now. Feels like it is regressing. Everything is kicking my ass. You have a good session here and there and you think that's where you're at, now I'm desperately trying to have a session that isn't frustrating and mediocre. I was really looking forward to filming some fearless combos for the blog and could barely get 4. Nothing is clicking. Anyway, I'll get off my emo soap box.

Been working out a lot, might be effecting my game. USO is right around the corner and the pressure may be getting to me, even though I'm not competing, I wan't to be able to play at a high level. In other more positive news my weight is still dropping and I'm getting very close to my goal. Three more lbs to go.

Some of the combos I've hit recently:

down swirl>symp whirl bs
paradon>whirl>whip>dbl pickup rpt
torque>far simple swirl rpt
barfly>swirl rpt
phoenix>blurriest bs
phoenix>fog bs
phoenix>bs blur bs
open paradon>blurriest bs
ripped warrior>spin duck down bs

Also, I thought of a new trick name. I want to call open muted clipper BRUSH.
So,
open muted clip would be brush
open muted swirl would be sweep
and drifter swirl is swifter

I acknowledge I have no claim to naming these tricks...I just think they need names.

I put a motivational poster at the beginning of this video. I didn't like the way most these combos were executed, particularly the motion in the first combo. My goal is to make another with at least 20 fearless combos in one session.
Today's music selection, one of my top 5 favorite songs. Any footbaggers fans of Hum?
Justin Dale
Videos