Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 05 Jan 2011 23:18

The other day I was reading on Mat GM's blog something about whirls. I got thinking today while I was playing. I was playing at the front of Parliament House today actually, maybe same sort of sign. I don't really know what sort of sign it was, but it was a good one I guess.

Anyway, my flip whirl has always been a problem, but it seemed like today something clicked. So I was feeling pretty strong on my pdx whirl, so then I tried a flip blurry whirl, and that was the first time I hit it.

So a good day in Footbag for me.

Hopefully I will play again tomorrow, been feeling pretty strong lately.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 11 Jan 2011 17:25

had a really strong session yesterday, long runs, some pretty hard tricks. Today I just had a quick session, hit symp whirling swirl, for the first time. Pretty stoked on that one. I think that's my first new trick for the year.

It's been raining a fair bit here, but nowhere near the crazy floods that are happening up in Qld. Going to play this afternoon with Caroline, we've got an indoor spot to play in, but I think the rain is going to stop anyway.

I've been working on my flip symp whirl, it's really not happening so far, it's an example of the brain and the foot not connecting at all. We'll see how that one goes.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 13 Jan 2011 22:16

Played with Caroline today. I have been playing a lot this week, most lunch breaks, then most days after work as well. Quite impressed with myself actually, very happy with how I'm playing.

New trick for today: spinning pdx dlo. Yesterday I hit butterfly swirl for the first time, but I probably should have hit that a long time ago.

Listening to Miles Away- Endless Roads. Probably the album of 2010. Though 2010 was a disappointing year for albums, especially in punk/hardcore/metal.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 18 Jan 2011 18:19

Had a good kick today, solo session. Played in the carport area out the front of our place. Was doing a lot of stepping ducking on the strong side, still learning on the flip. Was getting my flips up to head height, it will get there soon.

We have our Narooma jam this weekend. The fourth installation, I won't be at this one for too long, I have some important business to intend to.

Getting married in 10 days, wow :!:

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 28 Jan 2011 01:56

Guess it is 9 days since I last posted, because the big day is tomorrow.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 07 Feb 2011 21:55

Have written almost 5000 words today, for a uni assignment. It's entirely about Footbag.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 13 Feb 2011 00:26

Had a good kicking today, hit alpine legbeater (my first atomic ducking trick come to think of it) for the first time, and also dimwalk>fog, I guess that's the first time I've hit fog out of anything more than butterfly...not sure I've even done that. But I was feeling good and hitting some long runs. I also had another run which had matador and spinning ducking whirl in the same run, that felt pretty sweet.

Guess I haven't posted much in this recently. I played with Caroline during the week, was playing reasonably then too, while I was in Melbourne, that was only last week but feels like ages ago, I kicked with Ryan on Saturday and Jamie on Sunday. Jamie is going alright considering that he hasn't played in a year and Ryan is always learning some new tricks. He's gone to Japan so hopefully he plays with all the Japanese dudes.

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 23 Feb 2011 06:13

boyle wrote:Getting married in 10 days, wow :!:
that's awesome!

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 23 Feb 2011 17:21

yeah, all went really well. Will post some pictures in this blog one day. Have a couple of me playing footbag in my suit.

Have you been playing recently?

We're going to have the Nationals in Melbourne this year, get training!

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 24 Feb 2011 00:25

Here is a photo from the big day...

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 24 Feb 2011 03:33

played a bit in the last few days. New combo: pixie ducking osis>spinning ducking osis well I guess it's zooming ducking osis because it's a spin from an osis, that felt pretty good, that was the new combo for yesterday.

I have been trying to get the last drops of wear and tear out of my lavers, even though I have two new pairs in the cupboard. Got to get the value for money! Moreso, you just get so used to the way that the shoe is on your foot, but it seems that part of my foot is meeting with the ground, so might be time to move on to another pair. I have one with green, one with blue trim. These current ones were pretty good, they had the black trim. I guess they have lasted me just under a year, which is not too bad.

Going to Sydney on the weekend, hope I can get a kick in with a few of those Sydney characters. Looking forward to spending some time at the beach.

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 24 Feb 2011 05:53

Congratulations good sir!!!!!
"...You have to get, really, practice, like eight hours every day. Then you get good level and then you can compete....There is no money, so players are like big family and that is what I -like" -Vasek-

Reid Strellner

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 24 Feb 2011 09:44

Nice photo.

I'd love to see the article you wrote about footbag for Uni. Post it here when you get a chance.

Give my regards to the Sydney crew.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 24 Feb 2011 13:29

I'm just going to wait to get the mark back, and then I will post it up with what they had to say about it.

In regards to that, I was doing a course for uni, it was mainly about writing family history, or the history of an area, though the major assignment topic was quite broad, so I decided to start writing a history of Australian footbag.

Once I started writing I realised I would have nowhere near enough space (the word limit was about 3000-5000 words), it wasn't long before I was at 1000 words, and still had ten more years to cover. So I wrote it more about my experiences in the Australian Footbag world. It ended up being about 5000 words in the end.

Once I get that back, I'm going to continue working on the project, I guess I could hand it in in a later subject, but I want to write a full history of Australian Footbag. I sent some emails to a couple of the Hall of Fame guys who told me about people playing Footbag in Australia in the 80s, so I might try and track some of those guys down.

james_dean
space cowboy

Post by james_dean » 28 Feb 2011 03:55

Wow, sounds like a very cool project. Would be a really interesting read, that's for sure!

"It's a punk one!" - Auntie Val, after being shown a spikey footbag

Bloggy

Challenge

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 01 Mar 2011 02:33

Working a few afternoon shifts this week. Booked myself in for a couple of tours, demonstrated footbag to 90 people this morning. I didn't do any tours all February, so my tally hasn't increased...I have been keeping a tally on my computer..but I'm not there right now.

Anyhow, kicked for 30 mins this evening with Caroline, this was a good kick, a bit energising really, and to top it of I hit spinning ducking double down so that was pretty good.

james_dean
space cowboy

Post by james_dean » 02 Mar 2011 04:11

Whaaaat? psych!!

"It's a punk one!" - Auntie Val, after being shown a spikey footbag

Bloggy

Challenge

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 08 Mar 2011 14:30

Had a good session last night, hit a few 6 add tricks with no problems (mullet, food processor, maybe one other one), was feeling generally strong. Played for about an hour with Caroline who is going to Vegas in a few weeks.

I will be spending a lot of time overseas at the back end of this year, but hopefully I can make some competitions, not really sure how I will go in that regard.

Worlds is probably a no, I'm hoping they will have another South American champs and that I will be able to make it.

max
Australofrenchbrityorkus

Post by max » 08 Mar 2011 17:33

Nice photo! Props mate!
Maxime Boucoiran
French ConneXion
BFC

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 09 Mar 2011 13:31

Thanks max, it was a really lovely day all round, we had excellent weather as well.

In other news, I played again with Caroline yesterday, I hit blurry whirl>spinning whirl which was a new combo for me.

I also posted in that thread of Top 5 tricks that you have done. I am a sucker for Top 5 lists, and though my list doesn't really compare, I put it in anyway.

1. dimwalk rev swirl
2. alpine blurry whirl
3. mobius/tobius
4. enterrage
5. spinning ducking whirl