Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
AdAstra
Multidex Master

Re: Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Post by AdAstra » 31 Jul 2016 19:37

Awesome idea with the fantasy. Helps bring me closer to worlds despite not being able to make it myself.

I look forward to claiming the trophy :P
Austin
Lexington, KY, USA, Pale Blue Dot

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 31 Jul 2016 22:44

Ken - Paloma is registered for Open and Women's, it will just be the Open results that get counted on this one though.

The system I have been using to make my calculations, which I will most likely use for this is as follows.

Routines

Making finals - 10 points
Top finalist gets 8 down to the 8th finalist gets 1 (in 2010 there were 9 finalists, so it was 9 down to 1)
1st + 50 point
2nd +30
3rd +20
Each of the players tied for 9th get 5 points.

Circle

1st - 50
2nd - 40
3rd - 30
4th - 20
tied 5th - 10
tied 9th - 5

I haven't done any calculations for others, but I'm thinking Shred 30 will be score divided by 5, so if you get 250, you get 50 points.

Good to see a few people have done the fantasy thing, even with a small number it will be good to see if the system workers.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 07 Aug 2016 03:56

Just got in a short session today in the work break, about 20 mins, but that was enough time for a couple of cool things, like flip phoenix>pdx torque or finishing up with fairy ss dlo. I've been watching a fair bit of the footage from Worlds, seems like a good time though I haven't seen the routines. I also noticed there didn't seem to be much of a crowd aside from the players, not sure if that was any different actually being there.

I haven't thought about how to process the fantasy footbag stuff and I don't really feel like doing that at the moment. I think I should be able to set up some automatic things to make it actually quite easy once the results are there. I have seen the routines results, though not the routines themselves. Here's the finalists, looks like the Czechs had a good run, considering that you have three Czech world champs not even in the tournament.

1. Evan Gatesman (USA)
2. Václav Klouda (Czech Republic)
3. Patrik Cerny (Czech Republic)
4. Taishi Ishida (Japan)
5. Rafal Kaleta (Poland)
6. Jakub Mosciszewski (Poland)
7. Krystof Malér (Czech Republic)
8. Dominik Simku (Czech Republic)

Evan must be feeling pretty good I imagine, let's hope he's there to defend next year. It's been a while since the defending champ was actually there to defend. Alex Trenner looks to have had quite a good tournament, he got bronze is request, which is pretty awesome.

So hopefully I can go to Worlds next year. It's going to be a big ask financially, as we are off to Chile at the end of the year, but I've openly been discussing it. I should be finished my degree by then so hopefully I can even get some teaching work beforehand. I have no idea how that will pan out, but I do know that I'm super keen to be there.

Seems Taishi had an awesome tournament too. Worlds in Japan would be pretty good. People often say it's too expensive, but Copenhagen is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 10 Aug 2016 03:52

I mentioned in the last post that it looked like Alex had a good Worlds, and that was before he was proclaimed a bloody World Champion. That's so awesome. Good guy. He (as well as many others, but especially Alex) were awesome to me when I visited Austria in 2009 and then again the following year.

The non-BAPping thing seems to have people all up in a huff on Facebook. Evan has made a couple of insightful posts from within the "inner sanctum". It was interesting that they didn't want to keep giving people an honourable mention. I think Taishi had that the last two. I think Marcin Bujko had that two years in a row but then he made it into BAP.

I think the level of the winners was not up to the standard that we have sometimes seen before. The fact that a 2 drop routine won says a lot about the overall standard. I liked Evan's ideas though, he was playing around a lot more with the music and this would have increased his artistry. I do think there was room for some kind of big symposium trick on some time when it said "jump".

Vasek was unlucky with his drop. I didn't go back and review it, but my suspicion is at least one of his tricks after the drop was after the time limit.

As for me, I have been playing a bit. I'm going give a short demonstration on Friday at the school where I'm doing my prac, during the assembly, I have enjoyed my time there and my supervisor said that today went really well. I was in charge for close to the whole day today, which is really good practice. Look forward to finishing the degree and getting out into the teaching world. That should be this time next year (just after coming back from a great time at Worlds....let's see about that).

There is talk from time to time about footbag and the Olympics. The numbers are so small, there is absolutely no chance, probably ever. Some interesting additions for the Japan Olympics in skateboarding and surfing. In reality, footbag is not a particularly good viewing sport anyway.

I used the Olympics as part of my geography lesson today, looking at different Olympic cities around the world and finding them on the globe. Funny though at the start I asked if there were any important sporting events coming up and somebody said, "yes, the district athletics carnival." That is also true, I'm going to be there which should be a good day out, and a reasonably early finish with no work in the afternoon. Makes it hard coming to work after a whole day at school.

I haven't talked much about my playing. Can't remember any serious highlights. I did a paradox blender in jeans, as well as a run of around 20 contacts. Lots of runs that get to about that point and start looking good but then a drop. Think I just need to improve my concentration, take it one trick at a time, not start thinking too far down the line.

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 10 Aug 2016 15:42

boyle wrote:I mentioned in the last post that it looked like Alex had a good Worlds, and that was before he was proclaimed a bloody World Champion. That's so awesome. Good guy. He (as well as many others, but especially Alex) were awesome to me when I visited Austria in 2009 and then again the following year.

The non-BAPping thing seems to have people all up in a huff on Facebook. Evan has made a couple of insightful posts from within the "inner sanctum". It was interesting that they didn't want to keep giving people an honourable mention. I think Taishi had that the last two. I think Marcin Bujko had that two years in a row but then he made it into BAP.

I think the level of the winners was not up to the standard that we have sometimes seen before. The fact that a 2 drop routine won says a lot about the overall standard. I liked Evan's ideas though, he was playing around a lot more with the music and this would have increased his artistry. I do think there was room for some kind of big symposium trick on some time when it said "jump".

Vasek was unlucky with his drop. I didn't go back and review it, but my suspicion is at least one of his tricks after the drop was after the time limit.

As for me, I have been playing a bit. I'm going give a short demonstration on Friday at the school where I'm doing my prac, during the assembly, I have enjoyed my time there and my supervisor said that today went really well. I was in charge for close to the whole day today, which is really good practice. Look forward to finishing the degree and getting out into the teaching world. That should be this time next year (just after coming back from a great time at Worlds....let's see about that).

There is talk from time to time about footbag and the Olympics. The numbers are so small, there is absolutely no chance, probably ever. Some interesting additions for the Japan Olympics in skateboarding and surfing. In reality, footbag is not a particularly good viewing sport anyway.

I used the Olympics as part of my geography lesson today, looking at different Olympic cities around the world and finding them on the globe. Funny though at the start I asked if there were any important sporting events coming up and somebody said, "yes, the district athletics carnival." That is also true, I'm going to be there which should be a good day out, and a reasonably early finish with no work in the afternoon. Makes it hard coming to work after a whole day at school.

I haven't talked much about my playing. Can't remember any serious highlights. I did a paradox blender in jeans, as well as a run of around 20 contacts. Lots of runs that get to about that point and start looking good but then a drop. Think I just need to improve my concentration, take it one trick at a time, not start thinking too far down the line.

I had a dream footbag was in the olympics. Pretty crazy. Could you imagine trying to see the bag from up in the nose bleeds? Ha. Maybe a video board but still not the best for an Olympic sport ha.

(Sorry for the needlessly long quote, I'm on my phone and too lazy to delete it ha)
Austin

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 12 Aug 2016 04:14

I did a demonstration at the school assembly today, it went quite well. I made up a new routine yesterday and performed it with 1 drop (it was only a one minute routine). I was happy with how that went. Lots of the students from the other classes told me I was really cool. There was a fair turnout of parents there for the junior assembly, so maybe the crowd was about 100 people. I didn't get any recording of it because there are a lot of department policies about photos or videos of students and if I want to get a job as a teacher I need to follow those guidelines.

I have been watching the Future of Footbag chat, it's taken me a while to have the time to get on to watching it. Here are some thoughts.

- I have been saying for years that events like consecutive kicks and things to get beginners into the game.
- Looking forward to the quantum shoes, hope they go well and get done sometime next year
- There were a lot of calls for more jams and less formals competitions, but I think that's the way freestyle has been going for some years now.
- I think it was Sergio who said there should be a day off competition during Worlds to promote, I think that's a really good idea.
- It doesn't seem Evan is particularly positive about the state of footbag, but most people who win a grand prize of nothing are not particularly enthused about it. I mentioned it a couple of posts ago, but it's been a long time since whoever won routines the previous year was even there to defend it. (I guess Honza's 3 in a row was the start of that run, which on thinking on it is not a particularly long trend, but it's not positive).
- I imagine it would have been frustrating to be in the room - I saw quite a few people have their hand up for a while, but they never got to them, and other people would just interject instead.

I've had a few beers but I think I will go and do some footbag now. Caroline comes back tomorrow. I saw her playing in the competitions, so I don't know what that means for her injuries, guess we can find out tomorrow.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 14 Aug 2016 04:24

I have had the chance to kick around a little bit, just in short bursts, over the last couple of days. Nothing particular in the highlights, though a few runs that had nice variety and some other runs that had less variety with more contacts. I was also working a bit on building up this routine that I did at the assembly.

I felt it was also a good practice to go through it and then try and bump out a shred 30 directly afterwards. I only got a few where I got a good distance through my shred 30. I have been working on the one I planned for Worlds last year but I feel there is room to improve it. Some reasonably easy 5s like darkwalk or blurry whirl would be worth putting in and at this stage I have to many 3s in there, but I think the key to those things are consistency and if you've got a bunch of 3s without dropping, it's better than attempted whirlwinds with drops which get zero points.

Caroline is back now so we have been chatting a bit about Worlds. It's interesting, I don't feel particularly jealous of the time had there. I was feeling a bit jealous when I first saw pictures of people arriving in Europe. It would have been cool but I even thought last night, I have had a big hope to go to Portland, but the thought I had was, oh hey I could save a couple of thousand bucks if I don't go to the US. Let's see how costly the trip to Chile is and then I'll have to consider. I would still like to go though.

I will probably get the fantasy stuff done in the next couple of days. I have some ideas for how I could run something over a full year, could be quite fun to do and to participate in.

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 14 Aug 2016 06:17

boyle wrote:
I have some ideas for how I could run something over a full year, could be quite fun to do and to participate in.
This would be awesome!
Austin

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 16 Aug 2016 04:48

I will normally at least kick for a couple of minutes in my breaks, but today I am so sore that I am not even going to think about it. I went alright the day before but I overdid it, as we went for a trampoline session with the work colleagues. This was really fun, I was doing some good spins from tramp to tramp, getting some good flow as you could bounce of the walls. We also did some flips into the foam pit which was a bit of fun too.

Anyway, here's a short combo from yesterday (fairy op butterfly>whirling swirl)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJH2DYSBm54

I also did pixie ducking osis>tomahawk which was a new link I think. Just two more days left of prac so I will have a bit more free time after that, we're going to the beach for the weekend with my parents so that will be a nice celebration.

Nathan8
Shredaholic

Post by Nathan8 » 16 Aug 2016 06:28

Trampoline parks are the best. I went to one for the first time week ago. I love it how you can just flail yourself around doing flips and stuff and have little risk of injury.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 16 Aug 2016 23:18

Yeah, great fun. I still can't believe how sore I was yesterday though and even a little bit today.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 23 Aug 2016 00:31

I played a reasonable amount the last few days. I have quite a big cut on my foot which is giving me some grief but it didn't stop me from hitting mindbender, ripstein pixie op rev swirl and a few other bigger tricks I haven't done in a while. I also extended this routine I worked on for the assembly the other day and got to 1.5 minutes dropless, so was pleased with that.

I'm quite sore today, we had a dance class in uni, part of the Arts Education, then I kicked a fair bit, plus riding my bike about 20km and probably about 30 by the end of today. Tomorrow my be a good chance for a rest, don't think I will be doing any kicking today.

Caroline is back in town and staying with us so we have these occasional chats about great ideas for footbag things in the future, but I haven't got too inspired on any little project at the moment. I haven't done the results for the fantasy yet, I haven't seen the full results up as yet but I haven't looked in a few days.

I have finished my teaching prac so that gives me a lot more free time (literally a full time job worth of free time, though uni is back on, but only on Mondays and Tuesday. The next couple of days will be nice to just have to go to one job. We spent the weekend at the beach, that was pretty good. No surf and the water was freezing, but we did some nice walks, built some sandcastles with Nicolas and there were kangaroos in our front yard and on the beach. We could also see the ocean from the house which is a feel good factor.

DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

Post by DC Clinks » 23 Aug 2016 19:43

Props on the 30k alone, biking ~20 miles ain't easy. Didn't figure you for a dancing kinda bloke. Would enjoy seeing footage of that routine if you ever catch the time.

Beach weekend sounds mad chill. Kangaroos on the front yard is such an interesting concept to me. Would love to experience that at some point, although I've heard they can be feisty little buggers. Dunno if its true or not.
-Daniel C. NY, USA. "Sacrifice a goat to our Lord and Savior Evan Gatesman".

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 23 Aug 2016 22:47

They can be, but I think that's actually pretty rare. It's generally pretty rare to see them on the beach, but this place is particularly known for it. The kangaroos are quite common here, I see them in my street quite often. Sometimes they jump out in front of me when I am riding home which is a bit much.

Generally not a dancer, but this class was quite god. Dance is one of the parts of the arts education curriculum, so we had to cover it and I was a bit apprehensive going into the class. It was more about making little steps and putting them together (good practice to get routines together).

Has been good to get some time on the bike, haven't been able to do so much lately with the prac so I have freed up a bit of time now.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 24 Aug 2016 04:56

I played for a short time today. In this short time I managed to do a couple of 20+ runs as well as a combo of spin duck butterfly>spin duck osis>pdx blender. I was trying to improve with that and started with phoenix>spinning ducking butterfly but couldn't go on from there.

I also did some work on calculating the fantasy footbag scores. I just did the routines results and I'm not sure if I'll bother doing anymore.

So the way I did the scores, I've mentioned before.

If you make finals you get 10 points, the top 8 get the reverse order points (1st 8, 2nd 7, down to 8th 1), then 1st place gets bonus 50, 2nd 40, 3rd 30.

Unfortunately there were a couple from the top boxes who didn't end up competing, so if you chose Jindra and/or Marcin, you were in trouble (particularly both). If you picked Patrik Cerny, you probably won, as only 3 people picked him from his group (Jakub and Rafal were the other picks). I'll have a little more to say on this another time.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 25 Aug 2016 06:58

Worked a bit on shred 30 today. Here's a run that's not shred 30 related. Came home from work and then had a short session. My last combo, it took me some time to get it, but I got it in the end, I was really pleased because it's something quite different for me.

pixie op pickup>legbeater>barrage

I would like to get some dropless shred 30s. I think I wrote my previous plan somewhere on here before. I have tweaked things up a little bit.

dimwalk>blur>dimwalk>blur>parwalk>sidewalk>ripwalk>sidewalk>ripwalk>op butterfly (land right clipper)>diving clipper>ducking clipper>diving clipper>ducking clipper>diving butterfly>ducking butterfly>diving butterfly>ducking butterfly>ducking osis>op butterfly (land left clipper)>schmoe>magellan>phoenix>(pdx whirl>whirl>spinning butterfly>spinning osis>osis>pdx blender) I haven't been able to get right through to the part in brackets yet, but I think that could work.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 26 Aug 2016 20:24

Just a short session today in my lunchbreak. Been feeling quite sore for a few days now, probably overdid it a bit this week. Atomic ss pickup b2b was my highlight for the session, don't think I've ever done that before.

I have started thinking about making some guidelines for when people are going to do demonstrations/workshops in schools and other places. I'm going to mix up a bit of education theory stuff I have learned at uni with some experiences I have had over time. I don't really do so many demos any more, maybe 1 or 2 a year, but it's actually now more than 10 years that I've gone into schools and that kind of thing so I've got a few experiences to share.

That will be a pretty meaty project to work on, but I think it will be really worthwhile.

DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

Post by DC Clinks » 27 Aug 2016 20:51

I like the highlights, the guideline thing for demos/performances sounds very interesting. I'd enjoy hearing more about that aspect of promotion even if the full project never comes to fruition. Hope it does though, would be a really neat perspective. Would it be in a video format? Or typed up?
-Daniel C. NY, USA. "Sacrifice a goat to our Lord and Savior Evan Gatesman".

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 28 Aug 2016 02:50

boyle wrote:I have started thinking about making some guidelines for when people are going to do demonstrations/workshops in schools and other places...
I feel like Dan Ednie did something like that, maybe you could talk to him? Or, perhaps I was thinking of this, which is a bit different:
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 28 Aug 2016 15:27

It will basically be building on from that, although from memory it was mainly about what to do when you are actually there on the school. Dan did a presentation at Worlds in 09, I think you were there too. But the idea is to make it a complete sort of guide from you even thinking about how can I do a demonstration, right through to doing the demo and then following up after doing the demonstration.

There are going to be some changes coming to the footbag.org site and my idea is to have it ready for then, and then readily available on there.

Dan - It will be text based, rather than video instructions, though that might be a project for later/somebody else.