Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
mc
Modifiend

Re: Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Post by mc » 30 Aug 2022 06:49

Looking forward to seeing the new quantums in your videos 8)
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 07 Sep 2022 03:12

I still think they are a while off to get to here, but really looking forward to getting them. That will be a bit of excitement.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 16 Sep 2022 04:41

A couple of days ago, there was a footbag chat type of thing with Arthur Ledain. I wasn't able to join live as it was a 2am my time, but I watched the stream of it. It goes for 2 hours, so some other day I'll try and do up a summary of it.

There was a lot of discussion about this idea of player comfort vs showing the sport to the crowd, but a lot of it was really specific to Worlds, discussion kind of went in circles a bit.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CiJsQs9AuuI/

Arthur said he will not run again for IFPA director. At the moment there are no applicants. Maybe I will do that. If someone else wants to do it, they can step up for that also. But I have a few ideas. The concern for me (and I don't think this has been the intention, just how things have ended up), is that in trying to open up to further collaboration etc, things have come down to a very few people, putting a lot of workload on them.

It's a bit of a thankless task, but there is also a lot of opportunity. We'll see what happens.

The Raiders have finished their run in the finals. That they got into the finals at all was impressive, their game today was not. They had a good win in the first week of the finals.

I am heading to the Gold Coast for a wedding. Dad is looking after the kids so it will be nice to have a weekend away. Hoping to also get in a kick with Caroline.

I've been playing a fair bit lately. Trying to put an emphasis on regular play.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CiZaOrLAQR-/

The Shred Off event is in process. I will try and do my qualifying run at the beach somewhere.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CiaVSO5NOfy/

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 24 Sep 2022 04:41

We went to the Gold Coast last weekend for a wedding. No kids. It was a nice change of pace. Got to have a kick with Caroline, so that was good too.

We even made some submission for Doubles in the shred off.

There were no other entries, so I guess... we win! Actually, I said just don't worry about it. It was hard enough getting 30 seconds worth. Doubles is hard. I guess it's also hard when you barely ever play with anybody else.

Here's my submission round as well.

A decent run with two bags at the end there.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ciq_orEgH93/

Was definitely great to have that catch up and kick. Nice to be at the beach as well, just had two weekends in a row at the beach and now it's the school holidays, so heading down to the coast on Monday for a couple of days.

Made a couple of vlogs. Getting close to that century mark.

A good run at the famous Kiama Blowhole to start the second video.

I've been working 4 days so far this year, I'm going to bump that up to 5 days for the next term, so a little bit more money will come in handy. We've just booked a trip in the summer holidays to go to Cairns and the Whitsundays. We were meant to go in the winter time, but Covid put an end to that plan.

Here's a more youthful version of me playing in that area about 10 years ago.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 10 Oct 2022 01:46

The school holidays have been and gone. Not particularly much on the footbag front for me. Some decent sessions. I didn't pass through to the next round of the shred off. It was my idea to do like a repechage round for a second chance for those who didn't go through. But now I am in that situation I don't really want to do it.

I did a vlog of the trip to the Gold Coast.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjALkufAjrx/

Here's my daughter telling me I will be the footbag champion. Guess she was wrong.

They had the Red Bull freestyle football world event in the last couple of days. I didn't really watch much but I saw a few things on Instagram - the venue looked amazing. They can certainly put on a good show.

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/videos/b ... style-2022

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 01 Nov 2022 01:50

November the first. Maybe I'll try and write in here more often.

Yesterday, I was on a good run of consecutives, into 1000 plus. I was kicking in the room at the gym where they do group classes, it was empty when I started but then one of the staff came up and said they had a class in. That was unfortunate. I think I ended up on 1061. That's the most I've done in a long while. Might work on that a little in the coming time.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkAbeRRgmym/

We've had a lot of rain lately, so most of the sessions have been indoors.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjrtVG8h9Lf/

Here's my entry for the consolation round of the Shred Off event. Not really that happy with it, it all looks quite rushed as I was trying to film it in a short time frame.

At least I got an entry in though.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 02 Nov 2022 03:30

Day 2. Another post so that's a good round. Each of us have a free evening to go out and do exercise. Mine is Wednesday and that's today. There's a few things I like to do on a Wednesday but some of them clash. The last few weeks I've been out skating. This week we went in to the city, I haven't done street skating for a long time and I've also barely been in the city recently.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ckc5T7agCoG/

Nothing to do with footbag but then I did a few tricks in that same spot.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ckc-4EvgcmX/

Then I went to the gym, did some footbag before going for a swim. Got a pixie ducking motion in that clip, haven't done that in a while.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 04 Nov 2022 01:17

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkgzPJEhcGC/

It looks pretty bright in this video but I got off to an early start. I guess by this time it was 7 or so, but I had a terrible headache last night after a long day at the school.

Today was a better day and we finished it with our buddy class. - they are in preschool. We had a little footbag session, there was lots of balancing on the head, kicking up off the foot, it was a fun little session and a good way to end the week.

I've been having a little play around with Substack.

https://footbag.substack.com/

I haven't done anything as yet with the formatting, I might play around with that over the weekend, but it's something I might play around with over the weekend. I'm thinking that's a good place to stockpile various footbag finds - putting in videos from Youtube, Instagram, Twitter etc is really easy too, just copy the link, so that's nice.

We just booked flights to Chile for next year. Excited to go back, it's been a long while for me.

I put this video together 5 years ago.

I also just noticed Sebastian Ceballos shipped off some bags to someone in Chile, so that's exciting too.

I did a lot of kicking there but never built up any scene.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 08 Nov 2022 00:39

I was hoping to post each day this month, or post quite regularly.

I've just posted a couple of things around and about, including on this forum. I put up the final four videos for the ShredOff, which will be broadcast next week. You can find that in this thread - http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.ph ... 07#p502593

Not too much news for me playing wise, haven't really had any proper sessions in the last few days, have snuck in a few tricks here and there. I've been riding my bike more often which is hopefully good for the fitness.

I go to this skatepark every couple of weeks for a short round after teaching some days. Here's a video I did some years back. Something else came up on the Facebook memories, it was me hitting some 6>6 combo which I would probably struggle with today.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 25 Nov 2022 03:47

I am running the Joulukalenteri again this year. Not so much what I was hoping for when I posted on Facebook "hey is anyone running the calendar this year". I knew a few people had mentioned videos they had planned already. But that's OK. Better than not having one at all.

Here's my video from 2017.

I've done a video every year for a fair while now. Maybe since coming back to Aus from Chile - 2014. This will be my third time running the calendar and I think that will allow me to put a "bags not" on for next year.

I went to the park that was the main part of that video in Sydney with Jasmine, I knew I had filmed a chunk of a video there but I couldn't remember which one. I have a feeling it might have appeared in a vlog or two as well.

Hoping to catch up with Dyalan for a kick this weekend in Sydney.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClRvdOrB_BQ/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkvBFkHAkCY/

A couple of more recent short clips.

In the past year or so I had put on a fair chunk of weight, getting close to that century mark, but I've dropped down a fair bit in the recent month or so, so that's good progress. I got myself a new bike not so long ago, trying to ride to school fairly regularly. Speaking of school, just three weeks to go. This time in three weeks I will be in very good spirits.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 01 Dec 2022 02:44

The Joulu is back on. Here is Day 1 with a great video from Mikko. Big start with sirs Schillem and Simku. There's a thread for all the videos in the Videos section.

I am running this again and I would really like to have some more videos confirmed to be put in but we'll get there.

I've filmed something for a video. When I was in Sydney, got some very nice harbour views. I should probably film for at least one more video just in case.

I got to have a kick with Dyalan in Sydney, that was good. Saw a couple of bands I hadn't seen in 10-15 years and caught up with some old faces along the way. Also got in touch with Ian and we will try and hang out in a few weeks.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 02 Dec 2022 02:45

Here's my video for the Joulukalenteri.

With the current uptake there's a decent chance you'll be seeing more of me in the calendar. Have a fair few people taking spaces towards the back end but not enough like yeah! hey! have a video.

I had prepared this on the weekend but I've been having all sorts of computer troubles today so I had to actually remake this today, but got it done so that's good.

I got some great backgrounds on the trip to Sydney. I had a lot of fun also, saw a bunch of bands, lots of old friends, went to the beach, bought some new wheels for my skates.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 12 Dec 2022 02:38

Day 12 of the Joulu today. That marks the halfway mark so that's good. I'm certainly not planning to do this again next year.

I made a bit of a "Year in Review" type video using Screencastify for an entry a couple of days ago.

The LOTD is pretty hard once again. I haven't really tried out many of the combos yet, but most of the intermediate ones look achievable. I can hit some of the tricks in the advanced combos, so I might be able to get some of them out.

The school term is coming to an end and that's so good. One of my schools has already finished so I might see if I can do some kicking tomorrow. I want to do a long bike ride or a fairly serious walk tomorrow. There was some heavy rain today but that looks to have cleared up.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 18 Dec 2022 00:12

I've finally made a list of the tricks for the LOTD - I've just been posting them individually on the threads. I've really enjoyed the last few videos of the calendar, fun vibes in a bunch of them.

It's a good concept so better to be running in than it not happening at all. I've tried a couple of these but here's my thoughts on what I think I could do. I can't do reverse whirl so I'll just cross them off the list.

I will be running the Joulukalenteri once again this year. Please let me know if you would like to submit a video - there are plenty of spaces remaining. This post will be updated with all of the videos.

LOTD Intermediate

1. Diving Same Side Legover>Same Side Dyno
2. Stepping ss clipper>twirl yes and I've hit this recently.
3. Zulu Clipper>Gyro Osis - probably
4. Whirl>Symposium Whirl - should be able to but I might not on film.
5. Diving Osis>Reverse Whirl - maybe I could do this
6. Stepping Far Symple Legover>Symposium Mirage - should be able to
7. Pixie Far Osis>Sole Stall - should be able to
8. Pixie Legover>Same Side DLO - certainly.
9. Clipper Set DLO>Paradon - highly likely
10. Drifter>Pincher - have done recently
11. Paradox Illusion>Tap - should be able to
12. Barrage>Same Side Whirl - should be able to
13. Paradox Mirage>Behind the back (blind) Clipper Stall - probably
14. Pixie same side Illusion>Pixie same side Illusion - have hit this
15. Spinning Clipper>Gyro Butterfly - probably
16. Torque>Drifter - have hit this
17. Ripwalk>Reverse Swirl - and this

LOTD Advanced

I probably can't do any of these links but I'll bold the tricks I can hit. Italic for a maybe.

1. Blazing Butterfly>Pogo Symple Reverse Swirl
2. Stepping ss Drifter>Blurry PS Eggbeater (Backside Bedwetter)
3. Fairy Diving Same Side Legover>Pixie Symp Double Over Down
4. Quantum Eggbeater>Pixie Double Switchover
5. Frontside Blurriest>Pogo Paradox Torque
6. Reverse Whilrlygiging Gyro Toe>Fairy Same Side Double Down
7. Barraging Same Side Legover>Enterrage
8. Frankenstein (Phasing Swirl)>Gyro Whizz
9. Spinning Diving Paradox Mirage>Pixie Mama Curve
10. Rotor>Hopover Swirl
11. Sumo (Nuclear Pdx Mirage)>Legbeater Swirl (Atomic Butterfly Swirl)
12. Far Symposium Blink (Reverse Swirling Toe)>Fusion
13. Whirling Illusion>Fairy Spinning Legover
14. Pixie Quantum Butterfly (E-walk)>Stepping Far Double Pickup
15. Atomic Ducking Butterfly>Blaze (Blazing Mirage)
16. Furious Illusion>Pixie What?!
17. Symposium Quantum Mirage (Frontside Toe Blur)>Quantum Muted Same Side Reverse Whirl

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 29 Dec 2022 01:35

I guess this will be a bit of a year in review type post. Or just start out with a general update.

I am down the coast at the moment. School holidays going well so far.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CmvONEdpUzk/

Here's a run from on the sand.

I don't think I posted my contribution from the Joulu in here.

I did this video from a trip to Sydney.

That trip to Sydney actually yielded a bunch of videos, it was a great weekend. Including me getting up on stage at the Evergreen Terrace show.

I also did this Year in Review type thing, using some screencast stuff. I don't know if people are particularly interested in that, but it's quite a fun idea.

Anyway, been playing a bit down here. Trying to get some longer runs. This one is not particularly long but it brings me back to an idea of a Joulu video.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CmtEgTEJlq6/

Just playing footbag in Rod Laver shoes on various tennis courts. The worse condition the better. Having to sneak in etc also makes it better.

Anyway, been thinking a lot about "what to do about footbag" blah blah. Biggest thing is that people just need to play. It doesn't matter so much about the image, the difficulty of the tricks, and so on and so forth. The beginning is with people actually playing. And as "the youth" say - it needs to be "a vibe".

I'm ending up in Brisbane next week for a few hours so I'm going to get in a kick with Caroline. Will be good to catch up. At the top of this page there's a comment about the Quantum shoes, I still haven't received them yet. I think they're on the way to Australia still. I'd definitely like to get my hands on them.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 14 Jan 2023 22:13

Happy new year, I guess. I thought I had already posted something in recent times. I've been on the school holidays, we're currently doing a trip in the north of Queensland (Great Barrier Reef, Daintree Rainforest etc).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnaHrhYJCr-/

I also had a very short trip to Brisbane. I had a kick with Caroline.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cm5og0hpqWc/

Once I get back to business I'd like to do a bit more on here. You might notice I did some rearrangement of the forums, to put the more useful ones towards the top. There's lots I'd like to do but there's only a certain amount of hours in the day.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 18 Jan 2023 16:11

My Quantum shoes have arrived!

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 19 Jan 2023 00:10

I got mine too! I had a go with them yesterday and was more than satisfied.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 20 Jan 2023 15:19

Mine are probably slightly small, but not too much that it's an issue. I'm also going to get 2 pairs of Q3's from Ryan Richardson, which will be slightly big, but that will be something else to keep in mind. The material seems much better than the previous Quantum shoes.

I had a short kick around yesterday.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnndrRZJes8/

I'm going to take a look at the videos I took along the way of our trip. We are back now. We had to cut the trip short as there were torrential rains in our final destination (Whitsundays). Ian Pritchard was actually up there and we were hoping to meet up, but hopefully will catch up with him sometime soon enough.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 21 Jan 2023 18:27

Here's some action from kicking with Caroline in Brisbane a couple of weeks back.

I've done up a bunch of vlogs from our trip to Queensland too, I'll put them up over the next few days.