Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Muffinman
the gimp

Re: Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Post by Muffinman » 05 Aug 2023 14:44

Whoa, that's so scary about the PayPal hack! Mine is connected directly to my main bank account... My credit card too I think. And pretty insane that they just didn't do anything about it until you kept calling!! I would expect the kind of professionalism as from a bank when your credit card is stolen! Ridiculous!

Really love the inspinning clipper > double spinning osis! That is deceptively hard! I used to do a lot of double spinning clippers, but double spinning osis feels completely different! Great stuff!

EDIT: Ooh, top post painting again! Had to host this myself since I couldn't find a linkable version online... but now the embed doesn't seem to be working for some reason... See link below...
http://www.erikchan.ca/temp/stevemcdona ... ragons.jpg

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 06 Aug 2023 02:34

Muffinman wrote:
05 Aug 2023 14:44
Whoa, that's so scary about the PayPal hack! Mine is connected directly to my main bank account... My credit card too I think. And pretty insane that they just didn't do anything about it until you kept calling!! I would expect the kind of professionalism as from a bank when your credit card is stolen! Ridiculous!
Yes, I have my bank account and credit card linked up to it too. And my wife is always telling me (correctly) that I don't take enough care with my bank details etc.

For most of my life there hasn't really been anything to steal from any bank account. But when I called up Paypal, the guy was like "oh, we are very sorry that has happened we will ensure it never happens again" - something like that - it seemed like the opposite of genuine. It seemed like they literally say that to somebody everyday.

What was the strangest thing though was once they had taken over my account, they brought in their own card or bank account and started making payments. Why not just make your own account? Probably some kind of money laundering or whatever.

Anyway, since there is supposedly "no issue", I will be keeping that money for myself.
Got in a short session today, some decent tricks.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 12 Aug 2023 15:23

I'm in Melbourne, just for a really quick trip. Going to watch the Raiders down here today.

I had a short kick at the airport before I flew down.
I also did motion x 5 in that session, I think that's my record, or equal to it. I also think I could do more. The Matildas are going very well in Women's World Cup - into the semi finals now. There would have been some good opportunity to go and kick at the games, but there were none in Canberra and I didn't really have the time to go places during the week.

I watched it in a pub with some friends, great atmosphere.

I had a good kick the other day also. I think I used some video from this area in a Joulu video once.
I couldn't find that particularly video but I came across this one from an interesting location.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 27 Aug 2023 17:43

Been playing a bit these last couple of weeks. My daughter is sick today so I am at home looking after her, I might try and get in a kick today also.

Some footbag in the backyard.
At the skatepark
in the squash court.
Sergio put a post in the Facebook group and there have been some interesting comments around it. Good to see people thinking about how footbag looks and what can be done for this and that.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 31 Aug 2023 16:07

They've had quite an interesting event for freestyle football here in Australia. I'm kind of sad because I wasn't invited, but whatever, it still looks cool.

It was an exhibition called "Our Side of Things" at the Contemporary Art Gallery of Tasmania. It had a contest and various exhibitions related to freestyle football.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cwj9SOmr8RE/

https://contemporaryarttasmania.org/pro ... of-things/

It's actually something that could be replicated in any gallery in the world, and could work alright with footbag too. Very interesting concept.

I organised this major Athletics carnival yesterday, it was the regional carnival, so about 1000 students involved, it went pretty well. Unfortunately I'm not so well today, it was pretty exhausting.

I don't think I've played this week at all actually. It's been a pretty busy week. Hopefully get on the improve by the end of the day as we're due to go to Sydney tomorrow. I've got a ticket to see Thrice playing their album The Artist in the Ambulance tomorrow.

Then also tickets to go and watch the Raiders in Sydney on Sunday. My cousin is also out from Norway so I would like to catch up with him. Hopefully I recover in time for all that.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 05 Sep 2023 02:27

I had that trip to Sydney. Not much in terms of footbag, I will still not in top health, coming pretty good by now though. I actually lost about 5kg or more basically from being sick.

Thrice were great, that album is awesome. Got to catch up with some family, so that was good too. Went to watch the Raiders (not so good, but business as usual, somehow they reached the finals).

We're going to Chile next week, that's popping up soon.

I played in the gym this morning.
Did motion x 4 (dropped on the 5th) - this video is 3 with a drop on the fourth. Also did some stuff with knee bumping tricks. My flipside motion was also feeling improved, it's generally not that strong.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwyPxq-BFyB/

I had some decent runs too. Longest run was I think 44 contacts.

Here's a run from sometime in Chile. Hope we can get to this place, it's very scenic.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 28 Sep 2023 12:51

Estamos en Chile

We're in Chile, about halfway through our trip here.
Trip has been pretty good so far. We've basically just been touring around to different family and friends. It's been 4 years since my wife and daughter were here and 6 years for my son and I. Plenty to catch up on.

I've been working a bit on getting some genuine runs. I saw Ryan Morris put a video up on Instagram about a month ago and had some inspiration from that. I also saw Mathieu has been working on that too. I think 23 is my best. It's really challenging, particularly not to just pop in a butterfly to get the balance back.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CxqLBQmLlol/

Just not having so much of the day occupied by going to work, I've been getting in some good footbag sessions. Though lots of the days is occupied by eating and drinking, it's important to get those sessions in. The next week will we have an apartment of our own, a bit closer to the downtown so I think that should be good.

They just had the Asia Pacific champs for freestyle football in Japan (Hiroshima). I've got it into my mind that I would like to go to that next year. Not sure where it will be, probably somewhere else in Asia other than Japan. We'll see what happens. I'm hoping next year to be earning a bit more money. Hopefully a fair chunk more. Fingers crossed.

Speaking of Japan, that could be a possibility, maybe even for this time next year. We'll see what happens once we get back home from this trip and if we ever wish to travel again.

Oh yeah, this is about footbag.

New combos

pixie motion>ducking motion
reaper>pixie paradon

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 04 Oct 2023 16:42

Our trip continues. I mentioned I was getting in good session times but I haven't so much in the recent days. We're staying in an apartment now close to where my wife grew up. It doesn't really have much of a playing space, and we've had a lot of things on.
I did have the chance today to do a couple of tricks in the "Avenida Charles Aranguiz". This guy was probably my favourite player here when we were living here.

I didn't get the chance to go to the stadium, but I watched a game at the pub with some friends the other day. It would have turned out quite expensive and a lot of travel to get there so that was probably the easy option.

We had a family weekend at the coast last weekend. I got in the water and it was very freezing. This bloke came up to me and told me he had a good photo of me. I was thinking he was probably selling it or something, but apparently he is just there all the time and can send you the photo, so that was cool.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cx1NZq8Lrm1/

Anyhow, we'll be back home next week. We've been eating and drinking basically non stop so we'll see how things are looking once we return. Might be in need of doing some more footbag.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 06 Oct 2023 18:47

Oof, I never noticed how buttery smooth your blurry whirls are. So nice! Also enjoying the format of these bite-sized clips. I have such a short attention span...

Whoa 1000 students! Can you explain more about that? Sounds nuts. No wonder you weren't well the next day!

Those 3 clips, by the sea, in the snow, in Chile -- makes your life look so exotic! Amazing. Oh, also, nice motions! Is that your record?

Also curious what your definition of genuine is, since I've seen different people with slightly different interpretations. Do you mean just no bails? My definition was always no BOPs, but also every trick had to be unique.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 11 Oct 2023 21:09

We had some good experiences in Chile...we just got back today and I'm running low on energy.

The carnival is like the "regional" carnival, so each school has their representatives to do their races - they all have their own supervision but it's still a big day out.

My flip blurry whirl is still not that good, but I feel the strong side I can hit a "sweet spot" pretty consistently.

I think motion x 5 is my record. I was wondering that about "genuine" if it need to be unique. At the moment I've just been working on non-BOP, but I will try and keep track of the unique numbers as well.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 16 Oct 2023 12:30

I've done up a video of some kicking while I was in Chile. Came out reasonably well.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 21 Oct 2023 02:12

Great scenery, great shred! Also like the blue shorts green hat combo. When did you start playing footbag? You've been around a long time.

RE: genuine, my recollection is that the original definition was all unique contacts, but I do have a bad memory, so I'm not 100% on that. But I think the common definition these days is just no BOPs.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 21 Oct 2023 13:04

I first started playing hacky in about 97, my first year of high school. I didn't really get into tricks for a long time. I was there at the Australian Champs in 2001 but I didn't know any tricks! It took me a while to get right into it, I think I got my first Lavers in 2005.

I think both are a good challenge. I'm keeping it in the back of my mind in each session.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 08 Nov 2023 04:13

Been a little while since my last post.

Been playing a lot and playing reasonably well. Lot of the bigger tricks coming off, and some decent long runs.
I bought these shoes in Chile in an outlet. They're more skate-ish kind of shoes. They're a bit heavy for footbag, but I don't really mind playing in any shoe at all. They were really cheap also (maybe about 30 bucks).

Same session, it took me ages to hit this combo - https://www.instagram.com/p/CzYQ2peLKkL/ - probably would have done it first try in proper shoes. Anyway, enough about boo hoo I can't get the right shoes. It doesn't matter.

Not to say I don't like playing in the proper equipment - 45ish contact run wearing Quantums. https://www.instagram.com/p/CzUXd4zB4To/

I'm playing a lot by the pool these days. Since we came back from Chile the outdoor pool has open back up for the warmer months. I would prefer that it was open all year round, I would still use it. I can still use it as a kicking location, but it's not as nice with the pool all covered up.
In the background is a tennis court, the last few years they've had a Challenger tournament ahead of the Australian Open, but this year it's going to be upgraded to an ATP event, so there should be some pretty good players there, I will be keen to check it out.

I'm going to run the Joulukalenteri again. I will do the link of the day myself this year. In the recent years I have outsourced it to super good players and the links have been way too hard. The easier level will be all kicks, but they will get harder as the days go on. For example, today I was working on flapper kick>butterflyer

I've got a serious amount of concerts coming up that I'm quite excited about. The next couple of weeks in particular will be very busy.

This Friday I will go to Sydney and see Sunk Loto.

Bit of footbag action in this video when I went to see them reform last year. This year they are doing a 20 year tour of their album and I am very excited about that, because 20 years ago was "my day". This was my first year of uni, and rather than focusing on study, I went to concerts all the time. I was right in to skating and towards the end of the year I got back into kicking. I had actually gone off it as I hadn't been able to meet up with a lot of the players at the time when I moved to Sydney as they were at uni and I was working full time so it was hard to have our times matching.

The following week is the real re-living of the 20 years ago vibe. At the start of the year I said I would "manifest" for Sunk Loto and The Butterfly Effect to play together, as they were both due for a 20 year album revival etc. Unfortunately The Butterfly Effect can't count and will be doing their 20 year album shows next year (I will go to Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra). However, they are playing together at a festival in Adelaide.

There's actually a video from maybe 2002 or so of the Melbourne players with a Butterfly Effect song as the background, Brendan Erskine made it. Actually, he may even go to one of those shows, I might try to catch up with him along the way.

Anyway, to go to Adelaide my best option was to fly to Melbourne, and Sunk Loto were playing there, so I thought I better pop in, but then The Butterfly Effect announced they would play in Albury, which is a small city halfway between here and Melbourne. I already had a plane ticket, but I convinced my sister to go to Albury with me - and changed the plane ticket to the other show in Melbourne next year. So that's going to be a fun quick weekend. It will probably be fairly wild. The festival in Adelaide is called "Froth and Fury" and is in a brewery. I'm also planning to take my skates. There's a really good new skatepark in Albury and the Adelaide skatepark has been extended.

I've also got tickets to a lot of stuff that's coming up next year, including Machine Head + Fear Factory and Iron Maiden + Killswitch Engage. I'm going to be 40 next year and that falls around that time. That should be pretty fun.

Speaking of The Butterfly Effect, footbag and the Joulukalenteri. Here's my 2016 entry. I used to play a lot at that tennis court. Learned a lot of new tricks there. Blurry torque is one that comes to mind. Had some really long runs too. Should go there again some time.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 18 Nov 2023 22:36

I've got a serious amount of concerts coming up that I'm quite excited about. The next couple of weeks in particular will be very busy.
That's certainly not wrong. Last Friday I caught the bus to Sydney to see Sunk Loto playing the album they released 20 years ago. It's just like I've wound the clock back 20 years, that album is so good.

On Thursday I went with my sister to Albury, where we saw The Butterfly Effect. The next day it was Melbourne for Sunk Loto and yesterday both played together in Adelaide. I don't really remember any kickers being in Adelaide over the years. There might have been some in the early days, maybe over 20 years ago.

Anyway, I had a great time. I also had all my transport work properly. Any delays etc could have really ruined the trip. But I'm now on the bus back to Canberra from Sydney.

I played quite a bit along the way, that will go into my Joulu video. This morning I was feeling in quite decent form. This afternoon I tried to get some tricks in Sydney though my legs were feeling really heavy.
So anyway, it was a good time away. Now time to get back to reality. I've been writing school reports along the way now but I'm going to take a break from that.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 29 Nov 2023 12:55

It was pouring rain yesterday. I had an indoor session and filmed most of the links for the Link of the Day this year. I've had someone else run it the last couple of years and the tricks were way too hard. So this year I'm going to scale it back, also bring in some unique-ish combos.

I had made a list the day before and was able to hit most of them within the first couple of goes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0OEIjNLAwI/

Got some decent runs afterwards and finished with spinning butterfly x 8 and ripwalk x 8. I was aiming for 10 on both but I was running out of energy. Once I'd finished the rain had stopped for a while so I was able to jump into the outside pool for a little bit.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 29 Nov 2023 16:32

Wow spinning butterfly x8?! That is so many. Great whirlygig! I have only hit that a couple of times, and definitely not in a long time. Glad to see you are getting your kicks in. Looking forward to seeing the links this year. I will try to do them.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 30 Nov 2023 01:12

I was happy with that spinning round. I think 10 or even 20 is probably achievable as long as I keen keep a straight set. I haven't hit whirlygig in years, I don't even know why it crossed my mind to try it out, but good that it worked out. I also think I could do a few spinning ducking butterflies in a row.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 05 Dec 2023 00:06

The Joulukalenteri is kicking along, I've got most days set up and every now and then people are saying hey can I still put in a video.

You can see the videos in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24179&sid=2d568a04c ... a1baaeccf7
I kicked this morning. I really hurt my knee on the weekend riding my bike, something slipped on my chain as I was going uphill so I slammed my knee right into the handlebar and I have had a cut on my foot giving me some trouble. Still got a kick in and still got some pretty good runs.

Went for another go on the spinning butterfly consecutives again. I notice in this one I'm not starting and ending in the same place, so need to try more of that. The school term is nearly over. That is very exciting news to my ears.

Here's my own entry in the calendar. Got in a few good sessions when I travelled around the countryside seeing bands the other week.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 14 Dec 2023 00:00

We're at the midway point of the Joulukalenteri. I've got the videos for the next few days already and reasonably confident in the rest of the calendar to get their videos on time.

I've played a little the last days. I hit stepping ducking pickup which I think might be a new move, or at least a long forgotten one for me. Some decent runs though yesterday I was quite sore. I was thinking of kicking again today but I feel even more sore, so I'll try and take things easy today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0r_UR6hKYV/