Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Tjuggles
Flower Child

Re: Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Post by Tjuggles » 23 Aug 2020 13:24

That is so cool you are getting these opportunities with footbag! I would love to see this come to fruition.

I also like the idea of 5s. I think I will make a note to hit some today.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 24 Aug 2020 03:29

Looks like a couple of these are coming to fruition. I'm going up to the college tomorrow to talk about a few things and I'll also show them some footbag. I have the education media people coming to film me on Thursday, so that's exciting too.

I did up a bit of a vlog in regards to training for Worlds. It also captures some decent runs that were going towards Shred 30s that never made it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CENkH7PpS3i/

I've got another vlog I'm working on, we went away for the weekend with no kids. That was a nice trip away despite terrible weather. There's a little clip of me kicking on a no longer functioning train line.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 01 Sep 2020 02:39

I just had a thought - I was watching a webinar from a bloke who currently owns the Sydney Kings (Australian basketball (NBL) team). This guy has a lot of experience in various sporting things, particularly data analysis of sport, in particular from the early days of that. This guy made a big deal bringing back the Kings - they were basically the big dogs in the league, went broke, went out of the game for a year or two, he's bought them, and they sign Andrew Bogut (AIS graduate, number 1 draft pick, won a championship with the Warriors I believe).

So anyway, on the weekend I was talking about various footbag things with Matt Kemmer, and we were talking about getting organised the footage, at least from finals, of all the different world championships. Watching this video reminded me of something, particularly when I did an internship at the Mighty Canberra Raiders (went to a game on the weekend, more on that later).

My thought was, I'm fairly certain there has been absolutely zero analysis of sponsor exposure. This doesn't matter if it's free, whatever, but for how many seconds in a two minute routine can you see the banner. Then, how long can you see it on the video, how many views does it have on Youtube. Etc etc. That's a long task but it's something I'm planning on doing as that is my real kind of nerd area.

I had an idea in my mind to run a September Shred 30 comp. It's already September now and I'm not really feeling it at this stage, but I think that kind of thing is good for a 30 day month, could even be good to do it four times in a year, in the 30 day months. Anyway, maybe in November it could work well.

Oh yeah, I said I'd talk more about the Raiders, they came from behind against the last place team. Was a bit weird going to the 25000 stadium with a max crowd of 3000, but they still made a pretty decent atmosphere. Interesting though that we still have quite strong limits, but other places with higher numbers (we are on 0 for about 2 months), have higher numbers that can go to games.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 03 Sep 2020 13:14

boyle wrote:
01 Sep 2020 02:39
we were talking about getting organised the footage, at least from finals, of all the different world championships
I think that's a great idea. I loved the Finals night show, but it is hard to ask an acquaintance to watch a 90 minute video when you may only want to showcase to them a single event like Shred Off or routines. It'd also be neat to package the footage of each event with a bit more context, even if its just the results screen at the end.
boyle wrote:
01 Sep 2020 02:39
I had an idea in my mind to run a September Shred 30 comp. It's already September now and I'm not really feeling it at this stage, but I think that kind of thing is good for a 30 day month, could even be good to do it four times in a year, in the 30 day months. Anyway, maybe in November it could work well.
I'd be interested. The nice thing about a Shred30 event is you don't even need judges. You could also make it a prerequisite that people submit a transcript of their tricks along with their video, to make the score calculation easier.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 04 Sep 2020 00:56

I like the idea of doing it over a month with 30 days - my original idea, which I think has some benefit to it, is that you submit it with your score and transcript - but then if someone finds that you have overscored yourself - (let's say you said your score is 232, but there was a repeat of one trick and it's actually 224), then the person who discovers the error gets those leftover points. I think it might be too much work to run something like that though.

November could be fun though, or even something where it's every few days. I like that pressure of having to do something everyday - and doing 30 seconds worth is not so much commitment (though of course to make a high scoring one you need a lot more than 30 seconds).

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 02 Oct 2020 21:32

Been a little while, and maybe a little more of a while than I thought, about a month since my last post.

Speaking of getting back to things, here's something from the Instagram world - https://sportslashlife.com/footbag-on-i ... mber-2020/ - I was having some trouble with access to my site and then also simply with any time to do anything, so I'd like to reverse that.

I'm going to the Raiders game today, they are into the finals though hopefully this is not the last match. They should win this one and I'm considering going to Sydney next week if they get the victory. It's school holidays at the moment, so that's a good thing. One more term remains so we will see how all that goes.

Speaking of equipment, I've got a pair of Lavers on my feet, I've had them a while but they are brand new. I think they've been sitting in the garage for about 3 years. Heavier version, but I've been having a lot of problems with some of my other shoes in general not giving enough support, particularly around the heel and these feel a lot better in that regard. So I'll give them a bit of a go.

I've been filming for the spooky Shred Off comp that Derek is running. I think I've got enough now for an entry, just from today and yesterday. I've had a little bit of a run with an outfit - well with a mask, that was pretty hard going but I think it will look funny on the video. With the mask on it was fairly close to doing things blindfold so I couldn't get any great runs, but that was OK.

I was playing at the park with Nico yesterday and doing some footbag, a kid said oh wow look at that guy, then the Dad was like - yeah, you know like in Fortnite, you can do that Hacky Sack. I've been a bit intrigued about if that would make any connection from the game to the general world.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 11 Oct 2020 02:26

I'm on a bit of a Youtube rabbit warren and it's only early in the evening. From watching this I was actually trying to find something that I had filmed myself (Foo Fighters + Joan Jett). Anyway, another day.

I have submitted my thing for the "Spooky Shred Off". It kind of sucks, but glad to be involved. It's been school holidays the last couple of weeks. I haven't got many serious kicking sessions in, and don't really see that changing for the rest of the year. We'll see how things go.

There was just a message that Larry Workman has passed away. (https://www.facebook.com/groups/footbag ... 1809538993) - I never met Larry but he was really positive, often left nice comments on my videos etc. I was literally in tears reading this news. They already lost a daughter, sometimes life is not kind.

I was surprised how hard that hit me, particularly of someone that I didn't really know, but even just a passing knowledge of that family's story and you can't help but be saddened.

Here's a short clip on Instagram from the backyard. https://www.instagram.com/p/CGJmcWHJlSP/

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 11 Oct 2020 12:02

boyle wrote:
11 Oct 2020 02:26

There was just a message that Larry Workman has passed away. (https://www.facebook.com/groups/footbag ... 1809538993) - I never met Larry but he was really positive, often left nice comments on my videos etc. I was literally in tears reading this news. They already lost a daughter, sometimes life is not kind.

I was surprised how hard that hit me, particularly of someone that I didn't really know, but even just a passing knowledge of that family's story and you can't help but be saddened.
Holy shit! Larry! I never met him either, but he seemed like a great guy. I hope it wasn't suicide. Do we know the cause of death? I can't open that FB link since I am not on it...
EDIT: Wait that may be a lie; I think we talked at World's in 2017.

Nice drifter attempt in the vid! I love seeing enough footage of people to know what the next trick they will throw is. EDIT: I could see a spin coming in your run. Also, I noticed you seemed to look like the run was a bit more effortless, like you were lighter on your feet.
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 11 Oct 2020 23:07

Sounds like a heart attack or similar. I remember reading he couldn't play so much because he was having some kind of health issues, might be related. Sad news.

Had a kick today and had some more runs like that - the contacts just came together and I was able to get some decent runs easily.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 12 Oct 2020 00:26

boyle wrote:
11 Oct 2020 23:07
Sounds like a heart attack or similar. I remember reading he couldn't play so much because he was having some kind of health issues, might be related. Sad news.
It is so sad. Reading that, I seem to remember him saying something of the sort, that due to health reasons he couldn't kick. Our lives are so short. But so beautiful.
boyle wrote:
11 Oct 2020 23:07
Had a kick today and had some more runs like that - the contacts just came together and I was able to get some decent runs easily.
Nice stuff. I love it when things come together like that.
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 14 Oct 2020 01:36

Couple of videos, it's been a pretty long day, not up to writing too much.

Here's my entry for the Spooky Shred Off. I'm not super pleased about how I went with this, but I am pleased I got a video together at all.

Here's a vlog I did up from a trip we did a little while back, down the coast. I would have really liked to get down the coast during this school holidays but that just didn't happen.

Some good clips from the sunrise coming up out of the ocean in this video. A few clips of me playing footbag either on or near the beach too.

I don't think I posted this one either. We went away a little while back also and stayed in this place that was once a nursing home, that's been change to a place to stay. It was a massive area so I could kick a bunch inside.

One clip from Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/p/CGRnt8dJBE3/

The outdoor pool at the gym has opened back up. We're also getting our life a bit more organised to give us specific times to do certain things like this, so Tuesdays going to be a day for me to go. I'm thinking I will mainly do a kick and then a swim, maybe sometimes use the gym itself, but as the weather warms up, that's the place to be. It was great yesterday as the pool was empty as well.

boyle
Post Master General

RIP Rippin Rick Reese

Post by boyle » 29 Oct 2020 02:35

There has been a real outpouring on Facebook for Mr Rippin Rick Reese. This is a guy I've actually never met but he invented so many footbag tricks and was such a big deal in the footbag community. People have always been talking about his enthusiasm.

Sad loss.

Personally, on Tuesday I had a session, I was really trying to hit ripped warrior>ripstein. I didn't get the link but I got each trick. I hit a few other of his wealth of moves also.

Today I had a short session, a meeting I was in finished early but then it started raining, so I was able to play under a bridge. Something I'm thinking on lately is mobius>torque as well as pdx torque>pdx blender.

I've really struggled with run length lately, I've hit some decent tricks but I am really not getting that nice flow that sometimes comes.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 29 Oct 2020 11:37

Rippin! Shit I had no idea... what happened?
TJ Boutorwick

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Re: RIP Rippin Rick Reese

Post by C-Fan » 29 Oct 2020 19:28

boyle wrote:
29 Oct 2020 02:35
trying to hit ripped warrior>ripstein. I didn't get the link but I got each trick. I hit a few other of his wealth of moves also.
In the spring before Worlds was announced (early March) I had the idea of making a Rippin'' tribute video. The idea was that I'd only hit tricks he invented plus BOP. Naturally, I figured the easiest way to confirm the tricks list was to text Rippin and ask him directly. He responded immediately and we had a good conversation where I learned a lot, but it was funny because he had forgotten or was unsure about several tricks. He did confirm though that he didn't invent Ripped Warrior. We both think Eric Wulff did. In fact, I'm not sure I ever saw Rippin' duck a stepping set.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 31 Oct 2020 11:37

That was my thought too, that he had invented ripwalk etc, and then things like ripped warrior were an upgrade on that, but probably done by others.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 14 Nov 2020 12:31

I've had a bunch of photos pop up on the Facebook memories from one year ago, when we did our trip to New Zealand.

I made a couple of videos from that trip, one for last year's Joulukalenteri, and then a vlog with the leftover clips. New Zealand will be one of the first places to open back up, so maybe there will be some potential to go again next year, would be good to visit the North Island.

Dante is organising this coming Joulu as well so I've just sent a message saying I'll put something in for that.

I've been kicking in bits and pieces. Nothing particularly special in terms of new moves or big highlights.

Here's a little run from the rooftop on my sister's apartment - cool spot. https://www.instagram.com/p/CHcZgyJpVzO/

Funnily enough, the day before I was down on the ground in a similar location to the view from there. https://www.instagram.com/p/CHZpQmDJx9Y/

Here's a run which was going well until some interference - https://www.instagram.com/p/CHWKsqypz-S/

Speaking of Instagram, here's a little post from the past month of what's new on Instagram. https://sportslashlife.com/footbag-on-i ... ober-2020/

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 30 Nov 2020 20:49

Been a bit quiet in here of late - even for Modified standards.

I have been kicking a little lately. I'm going to put in a video for the Joulu so I need to get that together. I've ordered myself a pair of Quantums - intrigued to see how the whole process goes with the fundraising and all.

I wrote a little something about it here - https://sportslashlife.com/quantum-foot ... -campaign/

I also added a small something to the footbag newsletter here - http://footbag.org/reference/-/IFPA_New ... mber,_2020 - the formatting is very annoying on there so it is a bit of a slow process.

Here's a couple of runs on Instagram from recent times.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIM969SJB_e/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CH93qRvpK_s/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHtVnRzp2vq/

mtoolan
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by mtoolan » 02 Dec 2020 11:03

Hey Danny. It's nice to see people still hang around here from time to time.

I appreciate the amount to time you spend on playing, writing about, and posting footbag. I'll make a point to check out the newsletter and look through your blog. Thanks for doing what you do!
Mike Toolan
Penn State Footbag Club

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 02 Dec 2020 12:35

Thanks for popping in! Nice to see you making a post in your blog recently too - sounds like you've been right back into things lately!

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 04 Dec 2020 19:21

Got my Joulu video done. It will be coming pretty soon. It's also a bit tricky with the days as I am almost a full day ahead of some areas with time differences etc.

Here's an update on footbag on Instagram for the past month - https://sportslashlife.com/footbag-on-i ... mber-2020/

I did a cool PE lesson during the week with the preschoolers coming to visit. Some of the kids in year 4 are getting quite into kicking, they are able to do stalls, they play four square sometimes in the lunch breaks, so that's pretty cool. We'll do another session with the preschool next week. I also did a routine with two drops.

I kicked this morning - phoenix>spinning ducking butterfly on both sides. It's new for me to do on both sides and actually I don't think I've done the combo before.

Here's a video from a few years ago of me in Malaysia.