Sole Purpose Portland Footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
cd
Egyptian Footgod

Post by cd » 19 Nov 2010 14:11

I've been playing a couple times a week on my own since there's a great fitness room at my job. There have been a couple good solo drilling days already.

Since moving to Portland I've gotten into the routine of having regular Sunday sessions, often times Saturday with Flash as well. Wednesday at the local college's juggling session is usually the largest get-together. The scene here is killer; I think only the Northeast region centered around NYC is this active.

For the time being I am working on getting better at a handful of things I ignored and never got good at, like egg, dlo, inspin and a ton of stuff like that. Plus longer, more creative and more consistent shred. Probably sometime early next year or the spring I'll start pushing for bigger tricks and combos, with the goal of emerging next summer on a higher level than the past few years.

sidekick
Egyptian Footgod

Post by sidekick » 22 Nov 2010 10:44

In the past three days there have been two sessions at the Lincoln Shred House. The first was just Flash and me, the second included Chris Dean, and both were a lot of fun.

The frist day Scott was hitting some really interesting and creative combos. He had a bunch of strings with fliers linked to DLO or pdx whirl, and a bunch of bev-clickity (whirling set calf bump) moves as well. I think the highlight combo was bev-clickity far DLO > Shut same miraging symp illusion (fresh egg). Both days Bevier was throwing down lots of strange links that I couldn't even find the words to describe, so I will have to brush up on my footbag gibberish to be able to type up what went down.

The second day Dean was shredding it up, lots of good spinning and ducking combo, but also lots of really good shuffle with some great fearless links. Chris seems to be pushing his game to a new level, and trying some creative dragon and sole stal combos, so it was great to see him out.

I didn't feel like I was playing too well, mostly doing drills and trying to push my stamina. I had a couple if good strings, a few over 20 contacts, but most importantly I drilled double down a lot.

At the end of the second session, Chris hit bedwetter for the first time, then he proceeded to hit it flipside. Gordon jumped in afterwards and wanted to hit flip scorpion tail, and then did it both sides with both bedwetters. I also decided that I haven't done bedwetter in a while, so I got it both sides (not in the same string like Flash though) and then did both scorpion tail in the same string. It felt good to have people pushing me and themselves again. I can't wait for Evan to get back, he adds a good energy to the group... if only he played more ;)
Nick Landes

Proudly Representing Fourkast Footbag Co.
http://www.fourkast.com

Portland Blog

All the ladies love Matt Cross because Johnny Depp + Footbag = Matt Cross

Mastery is the combination of knowledge and practical experience

sidekick
Egyptian Footgod

Post by sidekick » 16 Dec 2010 11:53

So there have been about five sessions since the last post, most of them were impromptu sessions with Bevier and Dean, also including Sam and Joe at times, and then the regular Wednesday night Reed college shred that has between 7-10 players.

There are two new kids who have been learning and showing up to the reed nights, so it's good to see some new interest. Nate Linscott and Aaron Shepard both were in attendance, along with Red (who kicked for a bit) Sam, myself, Flash, and Chris. Lots of fun, nothing too spectacular stood out in my mind but everyone seemed pretty non top of it.
Nick Landes

Proudly Representing Fourkast Footbag Co.
http://www.fourkast.com

Portland Blog

All the ladies love Matt Cross because Johnny Depp + Footbag = Matt Cross

Mastery is the combination of knowledge and practical experience

cd
Egyptian Footgod

Post by cd » 19 Jan 2011 21:50

We had a really good session at the reed juggling club tonight. High turnout of players including a handful of casual kickers. About 10 people overall. It's good to see things picked up after winter break.

The main circle I shredded in was with Flash and Nate Linscott. Everyone played well, but nothing monstrously epic. Just really solid playing all around... some things I remember were Nate hitting rev swirling blenders both sides and super clean double switches. Flash did a gyro grifter first try, he said he hadn't tried it since 04. I hit BSOSed pdx whirling swirl for the first time. Did it first try too. That's everything that sticks out in my head. Then I went home and stitched half a bag and made a blog post in the Portland footblog.
chris dean

landon palmer
Shredalicious

Post by landon palmer » 24 Jan 2011 21:13

you guys getting in on that portlandia show on tfc?

shreddaily
Flower Child

Post by shreddaily » 18 Mar 2011 21:07

Orton, Dale and Wren in town this weekend.

ninjo
Fearless

Post by ninjo » 19 Mar 2011 10:27

Sick!

Flash Rules the bag.I've had epic times shredding with him in the circles.
:D
Hard work never fails.
Organics,Poop,Laugh,Smile,Peace,Water,Dream,Share.
Lotus>Gyro Blender>Mobius.
BananaPeanutButterHoneyRaisinCinnamon
http://www.footbag.org/gallery/showset/luvids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01l-kAi_ ... t_received

redshredz
BSOS Beast

Post by redshredz » 12 Sep 2011 19:25

Hey all,
Haven't posted for a while, but wanted to check in. Sole Purpose is still going very strong, Joe K has taken the reigns of the group for organizing meetups, and we have had some new members join since the last time I posted. Sole Purpose would like to give a big shout out to our newest member, Mike Hansen son! We still train quite a bit, and are talking about doing some exciting things for 2012. P-town represent, footbag forever!