beginners: kicking guide

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

Nitrox
Shredalicious

beginners: kicking guide

Post by Nitrox » 31 Oct 2005 08:49

Been playing for something like a week now and I'm not getting any better with my kicks (and I'm actually noticing they're a bit harder with my lavers, odd...), should I focus more on my kicks now and get them down solid before I do much else? Right now what I'm doing is I kick for 5-10 minutes at the start of a session then 5-10 minutes afterwards.
--Josh Ohana--
My Blog
Challenge Me

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 31 Oct 2005 09:19

Josh,

you should learn kicks and gain good control. Get yourself to the point where you can do 50 consecutive kicks. if you can do 50, you can do 300. it's good that you're warming up and cooling down with kicks, I think this is good practice.

If you want to gain good control with your kicks, start with your inside kicks.

start with the bag in your hand. toss the bag up to your chest. When it gets just below waist level, give it a good firm inside kick so the bag goes straight up, to the middle of your chest, and catch it again with your hand. Do this over and over again so you can get it to go straight up almost every time. Remember to stand up straight while you kick the footbag.

once you can get the bag going straight up and down every time, do the same drill that I just mentioned on your other side. Then, start doing them back and forth.

When I'm doing alternating inside kicks, I turn my body a little as I do it, which helps me get the bag going straight up and down, and helps me kick it in the same place in space with each kick, even though I'm using different feet. When I kick with my right foot, I turn my hips slightly to the right. when I kick with my left foot, I turn my hips slightly to the left.

The key is a lot of practice and repetition. Once you have comfortable control with your inside kicks, you should gain the same level of control with your outside kicks, your knee kicks, your toe flicks.

Toe flicks are a little more difficult than the other kicks I've mentioned. You leave your thigh pointed down, bend your knee so your calf and foot are behind you, and just before the footbag hits the ground, you whip your foot back down, get your toe under it, and pop it right back up. These are some of my favorite kicks. They're super relaxed and styley and fun to do.

Good luck with your kicks. Please post your progress and any other questions you have about doing kicks in this thread.

:)
Last edited by mc on 31 Oct 2005 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Blackend
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Re: Kicking trouble

Post by Blackend » 31 Oct 2005 09:20

Nitrox wrote:(as requested by matt cross)

Been playing for something like a week now and I'm not getting any better with my kicks (and I'm actually noticing they're a bit harder with my lavers, odd...), should I focus more on my kicks now and get them down solid before I do much else? Right now what I'm doing is I kick for 5-10 minutes at the start of a session then 5-10 minutes afterwards.
It's probably a good idea to get pretty good at all of your basic kicks (toe, inside, outside, knee) before you go on to learn delays and tricks.
Sam Mayer

"Son, a woman is like a beer. They smell good, they look good, you'd step over your own mother just to get one!" - Homer Simpson

Bagle
Circle Kicker

Post by Bagle » 17 Oct 2006 18:32

well i would like to thank you for this post! i did what he said and now i can do a lot more stuff! so THANKS
Ryan Ken

Genzu
Freedom Footbags

Post by Genzu » 20 Mar 2007 14:49

I've just released Jorden Moir's new instructional DVD, Gravity Man on my site. It covers basic kicks as well as several fundamental freestyle tricks. Watch the trailer and read more about it here:

http://www.freedomfootbags.com/blog/gra ... -and-more/

I also expect to be adding more free instructional videos to my blog in the coming weeks and months, starting easy and then working up.

Peace.
Daryl "Genzu Blades" Genz

Owner, Freedom Footbags
Please support the IFPA:
http://www.freedomfootbags.com/

sandmaster22
Circle Kicker

best advice

Post by sandmaster22 » 21 Mar 2007 10:56

the best advice you can give to any beginner is slow down cuz youll get all frustrated and start moving faster and not concentrating as much just slow down and keep you eye on the sack! works well for learning stalls and kicks. practice makes perfect! (i cant tell you how many times i heard that!)

Genzu
Freedom Footbags

Post by Genzu » 28 Jun 2007 19:04

The Freedom Footbags' Freestyle Footbag Fundamental Flyer (FFFFFF) is free online resource that covers, you guessed it, the Fundamentals:

http://www.freedomfootbags.com/blog/fre ... -and-more/

Enjoy... This is a work in progress. As of this post, we're on part four of the series.

Peace.

Owner, Freedom Footbags
Please support the IFPA:

thedudeman
Multidex Master

Post by thedudeman » 26 Feb 2010 18:56

i was told that learning inside stall and toe stall switching back and forth clean is key, not learning all your kicks
i was told to learn
clean inside kicks
toe to toe stalls
inside stalls switching as learning the basics
now i only saw them play once but they didnt seem to be to comfortable with toe kicks or outside kicks, but they could still shred like a mofo

Genzu
Freedom Footbags

Post by Genzu » 27 Feb 2010 09:40

thedudeman wrote:i was told that learning inside stall and toe stall switching back and forth clean is key, not learning all your kicks
i was told to learn
clean inside kicks
toe to toe stalls
now i only saw them play once but they didnt seem to be to comfortable with toe kicks or outside kicks, but they could still shred like a mofo
Dude, your post is very confusing to me. I don't know anyone that has gotten to the upper echelon of players that does not have very strong basic kicks...

Now, admittedly there are a few players that don't use their outside kicks much - these same players don't use outside stalls in their game. Also, there are are some strong players that don't have solid weakside toe kicks.

I'm curious whom it was that you saw, and where?

It's my feeling that you would be well served to learn all your kicks. There are no short cuts in this game. Any that you take will be evident in your style and trick selection.

Owner, Freedom Footbags
Please support the IFPA:

thedudeman
Multidex Master

Post by thedudeman » 25 Apr 2010 13:33

Genzu wrote:
thedudeman wrote:i was told that learning inside stall and toe stall switching back and forth clean is key, not learning all your kicks
i was told to learn
clean inside kicks
toe to toe stalls
Dude, your post is very confusing to me. I don't know anyone that has gotten to the upper echelon of players that does not have very strong basic kicks...

Now, admittedly there are a few players that don't use their outside kicks much - these same players don't use outside stalls in their game. Also, there are are some strong players that don't have solid weakside toe kicks.

I'm curious whom it was that you saw, and where?

It's my feeling that you would be well served to learn all your kicks. There are no short cuts in this game. Any that you take will be evident in your style and trick selection.
i was told from steve goldberg that only inside kicks are necessary for freestyle, i practice toe kicks as well but never really knee bumps or outside kicks
im connor payne

yall already know it's stanford homie

Ramen God
Multidex Master

Post by Ramen God » 31 May 2010 06:31

When I was starting, this was the same technique i used.

Jiffy
Shredalicious

Post by Jiffy » 24 Dec 2010 12:54

Lol, due to soccer my style is more with my toes and insides feel awkward. I have hit fifty+ with toe kicks and knee bumps but I can get like three or four of insides and maybe two of outsides. I love knee bumbs... I'm getting good at inside stuff though, I can even hit clipper both sides now.
Ryan