Torque

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

BalinorNZ
Post Master General

[set from torque]

Post by BalinorNZ » 19 May 2005 17:42

Hi,
I have just learned torque and have been doing all sorts of drills to improve it, I can hit it out of a range of 3's and a few 4's (ripwalk>torque/crispy torque>torque) but I very seldom can hit even a far clipper out of my torques, the set just always is really crap, too low/not stright. I have hit it to ss pickup and far clipper but I really want to put this in guiltless strings.

Can anyone suggest a change in technique or a drill I can do that will help my problem? Would it help analyse my problem if I posted a video of my torque?

Cheers!

[merged with Torque thread - Frank_]

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 19 May 2005 19:15

I drilled torque>infinity repeat alot and it made my torques alot more stringable. Also try osis>torque repeat too.

Really make sure you cushion and catch the torque, how well you catch the torque totally determines how well you can set into the next one.
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 19 May 2005 20:02

try drilling torques, but holding the stall - if you can hold the stall on a move you should be able to link it to any other move.

BalinorNZ
Post Master General

Post by BalinorNZ » 20 May 2005 00:26

Jeremy wrote:try drilling torques, but holding the stall - if you can hold the stall on a move you should be able to link it to any other move.
I think this is brilliant advice, I will try it tonight!
Thanks for your advice also Tom! I will keep that osis>torque>repeat drill in mind!

zeroman13
Post Master General

Torque

Post by zeroman13 » 23 Jan 2006 07:21

Torque
SET >> OP IN [DEX] > BACKSPIN [BOD] > OP CLIP [XBD][DEL]
http://www.hackrifice.com/moves/4torque.wmv

I've been having doing torques. I can get my dex leg over, but I catch the footbag without it going to the outside of my osis leg. Any advice for on getting it to the outside of my osis leg?
Wasabi wrote:Footbag is not materialistic; it's about challenging yourself and having fun at the same time.
Josh M.
My Website
Pm me for details about Munster Bags!

Uranos
Flower Child

Post by Uranos » 23 Jan 2006 07:29

Hmm..i kinda get your problem but i still dont quite understand it...

You really need to "torque" your whole body. In doing this you may need to do abdominal training or to practice the motion without the bag. Watch video's of pro's doing torques and you will see how much they rotate their body when they nail the trick.
Practicing your osis may also be a good idea.

Also

http://www.modified.ca/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=5956

There has been a great deal talked in this topic here so you should read it. Good luck! :D
Alex Urano

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 23 Feb 2006 08:11

sweet_hack
Shredalicious

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:33 am Post subject: What's the difference? Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
What is the difference between torque and crispy torque.

IT'S ALL ABOUT FOOTBAG
Xain
BSOS Beast

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:20 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
cripy torque is stepping osis, as where torque is miraging osis. one is part uptime, part downtime, the other is part hangtime/ part downtime, or full downtime

CSS7!!
Matt Cross
Footbag Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:08 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Just so you know, the two important terms for this kind of thing are "crispy" and "original".

with certain moves, their "original" style ("original" being an adjective, not an indicator of it coming first) is where you do 2 components on the way down. For torque, it's mirage and osis. For double legover, it's mirage and legover. for eggbeater, it's illusion and legover.

for these same moves, the "crispy" style is where you do one part on the way up and the next on the way down. For crispy torque, it's stepping (miraging set) opposite osis. For crispy DLO, it's stepping opposite legover. For crispy eggbeater, it's atomic opposite legover.

I haven't been hearing these terms so much these days.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good / oh, lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"

www.mattcrossmusic.com - Click here to check out my sounds
Jdigges
Egyptian Footgod

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:08 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
another good example is drifter. i can be done "crispy" or "origanl". crispy would be stepping op clipper, original would be downtime miraging op clipper

Embassy Footbag Crew
Sidi||TOFU
Hack Fiend

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:09 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I see how you guys (Matt and Josh) have broken down the moves into simpler versions....illusioning legover or what-have-you. I have seen this before and was wondering if there is a list of these breakdowns for each move so it can be put into simpler terms for newbies like me. And I dont mean job notations haha Thanks Smile
NuR
Fearless

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:44 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Its not really about breaking down moves to versions , that are easier to understand ;
its about differentiating two versions or styles how to hita certain move .

Personally, i also believe "crispy" and "original" are somewhat misleading -
atomic legover is nothing else than atomic legover, to say its an crispy
eggeater is kinda superflous, since the whole nature and beauty of an
eggbeater is that its both dexes are both done downtime .
Same with drifter - if its a drifter, its a drifter ; if i hit stepping muted clipper, i will say that i've hit that. Simple.
When you just talk about components, "crispy" and "original" versions
of a move are of course the same, but when you try the two versions,
you will experience how different they are in the way they look, feel ect.

- bavarian zen koan -

www.munich-footbag.de

Daryl Canady
fetusmaster
BSOS Beast

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:15 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
^^^^^ i like nurs way of thinking
busted
Shredalicious

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:34 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
One distinction that is really important for me for at least the 4 examples mentioned here so far, (DLO, EGGBEATER, DRIFTER, TORQUE), and also more, is that the crispy/original switches the leg from which one jumps. For example, an "original" DLO from clipper: the setting foot sets the bag and then the SAME leg plants and jumps, the delay from set to jump is what gives the first dex its downtime timing. For a "crispy" DLO (i.e. STEPPING FAR LEGOVER) the leg that sets is different than the one that jumps, thus allowing the first component to be uptime (i.e. STEPPING).

To me this a huge distinction, and I think of this distinction as creating completely different moves (at least in the case of the two dex moves). I learned all these moves uptime and once I figured out the power leg changes between versions, I was able to successfully learn the downtime versons. Even my toe DLO was crispy at first. Confused Cool So people would say, wow! Cool QUANTUM LEGOVER!, And I'd be like, "Huh?" Shocked Laughing

Personally, I also prefer using different names over the "crispy/original" terminology, at least when there are two dexes. When there is only one dex, I say "uptime SWIRL/downtime SWIRL" or "SWIRL/downtime SWIRL". But of course it's (uptime DRIFTER / DRIFTER). Wink The only time I really hear the word "crispy" come up is when someone thinks someone else's TORQUE was too crispy, in which case it's always derogatory, even it that's not what the word was "originally" Twisted Evil intended to be.

Kind Regards,
-David

*EDIT* PS Just a random theory that some older shredders could confirm or deny: Perhaps the terms crispy and original were born out of the late 90s as a "missing link" from the freestyle of the early 90s to the more modern concepts of UPTIME and DOWNTIME.
My footblog... a bootflog
Challenge me
shreddaily
Egyptian Footgod

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:31 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
it all about whether you want to pay tribute to the founders of the sport or not...
crispy and original are just terms, EXTREMLY useful terms, but terms that can be described in other ways. KNOW YOUR HISTORY, then decide for yourself. Rewriting footbag terminoligy doens't get you much respect unless you know your history.
Tsiangkun
Flower Child

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:17 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
From my limited memory of the time, I recall the terms were born out of the observation that Derric Scalf's torque was visually crisper than what other people had done. KFC, which back then was not Kitchen Fresh Chicken, had a new crispy way of making the same old fried chicken.

New version of the same thing, looked crisper . . . we just stole the Colonels words.

It is strongly correlated with uptime vs downtime, but it was not a missing gap. It has little to do with the jumping foot. Original legbeater and crispy legbeater jump of the same foot.
busted
Shredalicious

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:42 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
shreddaily wrote:
KNOW YOUR HISTORY, then decide for yourself. Rewriting footbag terminoligy doens't get you much respect unless you know your history.

Are you talking about my post? Shocked I asked a question. I didn't make an assertion about any history, simply a conjecture. In other words, I explained that I didn't know the history and I was asking.

-D
Challenge me
busted
Shredalicious

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Tsiangkun wrote:
It is strongly correlated with uptime vs downtime, but it was not a missing gap. It has little to do with the jumping foot. Original legbeater and crispy legbeater jump of the same foot.

Thanks for the response, which is just what I was looking for.
Very Happy

The thoughts about the jumping foot are my own, and are relevant to the moves about which I spoke, born out of personal experience.

Thanks!
-D
Challenge me
shreddaily
Egyptian Footgod

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:07 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
[quote="busted"]
shreddaily wrote:

Are you talking about my post?
-D

No, not directly. Sorry if it came off as an attack. I was speaking more generaly about how new people in the game sometimes redefine things to help them understand the sport more. For example the whole double leg over should be miraging leg over, and double switch over should be double leg over... sillyness. However it is logical. But history isn't all about logic.

But its all good. I call pixie ducking butterfly pheonix, even though it makes some of the old schoolers I kick with role there eyes... Not sure where I'm going with this.
Crispy and original are turms that are out there and should be know... They don't be need to be used, but either does calculus. Man this post was direct. Laughing Laughing
Matt Cross
Footbag Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:50 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I also agree with daryl, I think it's because of reasons like the ones he gave that we don't use these terms too much any more. I really only hear it in terms of torques these days.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good / oh, lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"

www.mattcrossmusic.com - Click here to check out my sounds
Jdigges
Egyptian Footgod

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:49 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I dont necessarily call a stepping muted clipper "crispy" drifter. i was just simplifying the Crispy concept and giving more examples for Sweet_Hack. i agree with Daryl, on the naming. although, even though an atomic legover is an atomic legover, it does have the same motions as a "crispy eggbeater" in theory thats what it is.

Embassy Footbag Crew
sweet_hack
Shredalicious

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:17 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Thanks boys for all the info I finally hit an actual torque, before I was hitting crispy torque and thought it was just torque.

IT'S ALL ABOUT FOOTBAG
augustin
Hack Fiend

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:20 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Hi, i have a question, the atomic leg over and fairy leg over would be both crispy eggbeater???

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 23 Feb 2006 08:29

pips
Fearless

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:19 pm Post subject: torque Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I don't see any torque advice posts so I am asking now that I am on that trick. I think I hit it on my strongside; depends on my barely 180 spin to saying I did the osis part. I am not near hitting it flipside. I usually end up landing a drifter for some reason. Like I can practice without the bag and get the movement down, then when I throw the bag in my legs choke up or I don't spin or something. Anyone have any advice for this?

MOD EDIT: Torque Trick Tips by Anssi Sundberg! Click here!
cheebs
Shredalicious

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Well, you will definately need a very strong osis. Practice consecutive far osises. When you spin you really do have to "torque" your body. Twist your upper body while you jump to get around to the osis in time. Try getting your dexing leg over quick, not crispy (not that crispy torques bad) but you can do the dex faster then you expect, like when the bags peaking or sooner. I Hope I helped out some.

Chris
Shredster
Flower Child

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:45 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I'd say having a very strong mirage (a quick mirage) helps too. Having a stronger upperbody (for the spin) helps too (which may explain why its so hard for me to land torques)...

A flexy ankle helps. And the striaghter up you set it, i find it easier.

Paradox=((5N^x^p)-54000aph^np)/adds
Its just about that confusing...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Erik Chan
the gimp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:01 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I think torque has been THE most elusive move for me in my entire career. it was that one move I didn't even understand when I started playing. It is so unlike every other move in my opinion.

I think my best advice for torques would be to set the bag straight up and as close to your body as possible. Osis is obviously a fundamental element of torque. My osis' are weak and I can just manage. I think it is just the crank in sudden momentum that takes getting used to. Setting close to your body helps in that once you have rotated your body the bag is right there waiting to be caught. That was the trick I found for paradox torques.

Good luck. (Watch videos!!!!)

Oh yeah -- and spot! Spotting will help you ensure that the bag is where you need it after the semi-spin! Spotting is key in any move involving a spin.
ICQ Number
shreddaily
Egyptian Footgod

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:11 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I would like to relay two interesting quotes from two shredders who OWN torques

question: how do you do torques
answer: Arhen Gerhman "just keep practiceing the motion, it gets easier"

statement: you're torques are awsome
answer: Lon Smith " I've had ten years to practice"

Both of these statements had a big impact on me. The way I now see it if you haven't tried the move 100 thousand times than you shouldn't expect to be able to hit it consistantly. I'm sure this doesn't help alot of people but it opened my eyes up to the dedictation it takes to learn moves that don't "seem" natural to you
cheebs
Shredalicious

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:37 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I have been playing for almost 1.5 yrs. I hit the move 3 or 4 months after playing. However, this definately does take a lotta practice to get the motion dialed. Now, my record for them consecutively is 6 Cool
pips
Fearless

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:10 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Yes I could understand that it takes a while to get the motion cuz everytime I work at it, my legs and body just don't move cuz I am trying to do too much at once or something. But thanks for the advice guys and I'll work at it and tell ya when I got it down.
pips
Fearless

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:42 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I am still not completing my half spin on my right side, but I am finally getting some movement down on my left. Is it easier from a clipper set? I noticed that that was used in the hackrifice video I watched.
ericksonj
Fearless

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:47 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I actually find that it is easier from toe because you don't have to spin as much. But I would recommend learning it from clipper... It really helps with things like mobius and such, although toe torques really help with paradox torque, so make sure you practice them from both sets.
http://footbag.destroythesun.com
pips
Fearless

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I just got back from practicing today and I tested out the clipper set torques and I DID IT! Each side. YIPPIE! I got the full 180s and all. Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it.
cheebs
Shredalicious

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Nice job Chrissy, good to hear Smile
mouseman
Shredaholic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:10 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
You need abs to make a torque. You can try to hit it and train your abs while trying, or just train your abs. I did alot training and torques really come easier. It's not a coincidence that all good footbag players have great abs.
cheebs
Shredalicious

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:12 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
He's definately right about that one. When I was first learning torque, i tried it a few times one day, hit it once then stopped trying. The next day i tried it like 30 times and hit it 5 or 6 times. The next morning I could hardly move, my abs were in sooo much pain Mad
Krafty
Fearless

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:50 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
cheebs wrote:
The next morning I could hardly move, my abs were in sooo much pain Mad

Hahaha...that sucks! Very Happy I know how that feels like (from gymnastics, not footbag!). Hope ya feel better soon!
CommanderMullet
Circle Kicker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:10 am Post subject: CommanderMullet Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
The same thing happens with me, my legs kind of "choke up", like a deer in the headlights. I set it very well, but my body kind of forgets what to do. Havent really faced this while practicing any other moves, seems to be unique to this one. Anyone have some advice on how to become comfortable with this motion?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
james
BSOS Beast

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:18 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
If there is one fundamental trick to help anyone with their torques it's lifting your knee. That's where all (or most) of your momentum for spinning comes from. Lift your knee as high as possible than spin your body, you'll be straight and right on top of the bag to catch it.
Don't forget to spot and crank ankle.
>50:50 Toe-Clip, 50:50 Up-Down<
~Style is everything~
joplick
Shredaholic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
in my opinion torques arent to bad, i cant string them or anything like that but i have a good hit ratio with them. (i only started hitting them a week ago-ish)

-practicing the motion helps alot but i think its easier to hit it from clipper.
you dont need to spin 180, to catch one all you need is a 90 but the move is a lot prettier if its 180. set about waist height or higher. right after you bring your leg over the bag keep you body turning and keep your eye on the bag. keep your leg close to your body too. when the bag gets about 3 inches above your foot, turn your head away and turn your shoulders a bit (this helps flatten the stalling surface) and thats about it.

have fun and watch vids.

Women are like a fine wine... they get better with age.

[life is]"A cycle of hollow joy and vicious self-hatred."
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion
C-Fan
Sideshow Rahim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:08 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
My tips on torque:

1. At all times, you should have only one foot on the ground. I like to pretend that there is an electrical current that runs through the floor, so if I ever have both feet touching the ground at the same time, I die. What this means practically, is that when you set the bag, you switch feet VERY quickly. So as your clipper (or toe) set foot sets the bag, it comes down to the ground IMMEDIATELY. At the same time, your support leg leaves the ground. This is very key, and is a concept I use in drifters and DLOs as well.

2. Do NOT think about the dex. Don`t. If you do the `fast foot-switching` of step one, and the hip advice in step 3, the dexterity becomes automatic. Do not expend any mental energy on the dexterity part of this trick.

3. Fall into the osis. OK. As you do the fast foot switching described in step 1, you should do a slight pivot toward the bag. This is essentially half of your spin. After the foot switch, simply turn slightly in the same direction, and just `fall` into the osis.

4. Follow through. Actually, this advice is good for any move that ends in Osis. Just as a batter doesnt stop swinging the second he makes contact with a ball, a good osis should see you continuing to spin and sink into your clipper even after you have stalled the bag. So once the dex and spin of torque are completed, and the bag lands on your clipper, dont forget to bend your support leg, and to continue to spin in the direction of your osis.

One more piece of advice: don`t set too high. I usually set just above my support legs knee height.
Jeremy
Iraq Disarmed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:44 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I've had a bit of a break through with torques and I thought I'd share it.

After you've done the first dex - as soon as the stalling foot comes off the ground bring it straight into a clipper position - and then you just need to twist around enough (which you should be doing while bringing the foot into the clipper position) so the bag lands on the clipper.

Some other important things - maybe they've been mentioned already: Keep the dexing leg vertical - don't push the knee out at all. Also try and keep this leg as close to the other leg as possible - if you have distance between the legs or if you push the knee out it means that you have further to go from the dex to the stall - you want this distance to be horizontally as small as you can make it (but vertically as big as you can since this will give you more time!)

Once you've really drilled torques so that they're very tight - any move you can hit ending on a mirage you should be able to hit ending with a torque instead - that should be your goal!

Ankle flexibility isn't that important - if you can hit clipper you have enough ankle flexibility to hit torque.

"you're signature really irks me. It only proves the self-righteousness that I know has always existed in you." - Dan Feary
Blue_turnip
Multidex Master

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:19 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Thankyou for this thread.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:59 am Post subject: some small pains... Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
i have pains in my right shoulder and breast area, when i do a right footed toe torque. i think it comes from the pressure and the contraction, to do the spinning move in the air.

anyone also feels that?

Lasse kirik linna!!!!
ICQ Number
Shredster
Flower Child

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:27 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I've hurt my back doing torques. Jeremy's and Kens' tips and everyone elses really help though and i'll have to try them later.

Thanks

Paradox=((5N^x^p)-54000aph^np)/adds
Its just about that confusing...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
professor
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:09 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Definitly stretch your back before doing torques because I have also tweeked my back doing them.

What Loren Baum told me and it works, is that most people don't turn enough when doing torques. You need to use your arms and shoulders more than anything to twist around. You must be in clipper position, shoulders facing forward, when you have completed the torque.

Also when you get a good amount of torques down, try stopping the bag on your foot after a torque, it's pretty hard to do, but it will greatly improve the set and balance afterwards.

One of the funniest commercials ever!

No I don't play soccer. Yes there are competitions. A year and a half. Lots and lots of practice.
BalinorNZ
Flower Child

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:31 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Jeremy thanks for your advice, it was very encouraging.

Ben your signature is hilirious and that is also some good advice Smile

I am going to start work on these.

One more question... do you think torque helps with vortex at all?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ICQ Number
Jeremy
Iraq Disarmed

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Always feels good to help people out! Very Happy - thanks for thanking me Wink

I don't think torques would be that much help for vortex, apart from the fact that torque is similar to drifter - so getting good at torques will probably improve your drifters, getting good at drifter will improve your vortex.

Dylan gave me some really good tips for vortex. Especially - you want to set the bag tight towards you (although really it goes straight up - it just feels like you're setting it into you) start the dex as early as you can - almost as you if you're doing it up time. Actually if you can hit surging stuff, not as early as you can - but really early - don't think of it as spin set>downtime drifter - think of it as all one move!!

"you're signature really irks me. It only proves the self-righteousness that I know has always existed in you." - Dan Feary
BalinorNZ
Flower Child

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:55 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Thanks again Jeremy, man your a river of knowledge.

For vortex I plan to practice drifter and pdx drifter and gyro mirage as much as I can.

Adversely, do you think vortex helps with mobius or viceversa?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ICQ Number
Jeremy
Iraq Disarmed

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:19 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Definitly being able to hit either vortex or mobius will help with the other. Personally I find vortex easier but I guess it depends. There seems to be the extra jump and twist for the osis in mobius - but I'm sure there are people who find it easier than vortex. Probably it depends what you find easier - drifter or torque. They are both definitly very similar moves in my opinion.

ShredOnLawn
Fearless

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:20 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
LAND ASE CLOSE TO THE GROUND AS POSSIBLE.

SET FROM OSIS OR GYRO CLIPPER

TRY PIXIE OSIS TO TORQUE
ptaku
Egyptian Footgod

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:46 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
ShredOnLawn wrote:
LAND ASE CLOSE TO THE GROUND AS POSSIBLE.

How should I understand this one? It sounds enigmatically for me Razz

"I know I can! Be what I wanna be.
If I work hard at it, I'll be where I wanna be."
NAS

Be strong, LIVESTRONG

http://www.laf.org
http://www.wearyellow.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ICQ Number
Jas
Shredaholic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:14 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Some good tips:
Practise mirage from clipper set, and practise ur consecutive osis A LOT. People dont understand torques because I THINK the reason is, is that theyre not very good with osis' because one of my footbag mates were in the same situation.
When you do it, jeremy's tips is pretty much it, stay as straight as possible, dont shift urself around the ground because of an unstraight set because it will be harder to predict where the target of the footbag is dropping towards ur foot.
Set>mirage at peak without too much rushing>once at peak, jump off support leg and crank this foot as much as possible into osis>concentrate and turn ur head before ur body spins, should be a powerful spin>then from your experience with osis, u should be able to predict where the footbag is and stall it with ur VERY CRANKED foot (i say very cranked coz i think my flexibility isnt that great so i have to try quiet hard).
ICQ Number
cheebs
Shredalicious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:15 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Yea torques can help you with drifters/dlo's probably because of the whole quick miraging concept thats required for all of them. Practicing them will give you that 8 pack too Laughing Careful though, when I first started doing them which was like two months after I started playing (too early) I did like 30 of them in one night. The next morning I could barely move my stomach hurt so much.
dyalander
Shredalicious

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:28 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I believe I was that "footbag mate" Jas?! - I still havent got a handle on tourque yet but i know now that if i drill my osis more it'll come.
King Monkey
Egyptian Footgod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:26 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
hahaha u never know mate, it could have been me too lol
gotta love our osis... we gotta have an osis party when i get back to Sydney lol

Spin like really far into the osis, so ur ankle is the flattest it can be!
dyalander
Shredalicious

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:22 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
yeah totally, now that i finally got my act together and drilled it, it makes me feel pretty silly when i think about how long i let that trick kick my ass.
Uranos
Egyptian Footgod

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:21 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Some things that helped for Torque

- Attack the footbag, lift knee high and go over footbag (dont let footbag pass through, you move)
- Symple style far osis
- PRACITCE!
- ABDOMINALS!
http://www.modified.ca/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=11782
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Lee
Hack Fiend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:29 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I've been trying this from a toe.

toe > op in > op osis

Is this harder than from a clipper?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ICQ Number
sniikeri
Lauri Jii

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:15 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
In my opinion yes. Anyways the leg change needs to fast after the set.

Do not try to throw the osis leg over the bag - I just realized I've been trying that for the last year. Evil or Very Mad <--Never shred alone, get some company. Mad

Yeah, I've been trying that, whatever it is called; miraging butterflosis or miraging dyno. And I'm not yet in that league. Razz But luckily, after I finally discovered the technique I've hit Torque (pretty "the" and footed though) both sides this week. But hell yes it's progress; I got my foot under the bag! Very Happy

Varokaa vihaista mouhijärveläistä!
Jeremy
Iraq Disarmed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:16 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I have always found toe torque easier than clipper torque. I'm guessing because there is more contortion and less spin (the bag is closer to your osis foot) however these days I don't think I ever hit torque from a toe unless there is a set first (ie. pixie torque). I don't really know why this is - I will try and make an effort to hit torque from toes more often. I certainly hit all my other downtime moves from toes and clippers.

james_dean
space cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:37 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Wow. Awesome thread guys! I also find toe torque easier... I've only hit clipper torque once. I was doing Ok with all the tips until I read the "Use your arms" tip... all of a sudden they felt right Very Happy I hit it first try three tries in a row... this is my new favourite move... thank you all!

clicky> http://spaces.msn.com/members/james-dean20 <clicky

clicky> http://www.myspace.com/james_dean20 <clicky
slapdash21
Futureless

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:39 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
toe torque should be called....
torque.
footjoe
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
and clipper torque , corque
Uranos
Egyptian Footgod

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:10 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Any one got some good tips on PDX torque? I find it that i always amm too late to do the osis part or i have to twist so much that its very shit.
Sporatical_Distractions
Egyptian Footgod

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:33 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
don't know if this was already talked about, but tucking your arms in as you torque (just like when you spin) will allow you to rotate faster making this move easier.
- Master Po from Kung Fu_ Episode #23 "The Tong"

www.missoulafootbagalliance.com
www.soleone.org
www.knowmore.org
Kevin Crowley
mecogeno
Circle Kicker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:53 pm Post subject: Torque! Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Wow, I goto Army Basic an practice with a Sock bag. An come out almost hitting Torque....an Barfly i can almost hit the torque! Got ne advice?
ana_ali
Anz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:13 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Torque tutorial video:
http://www.footbag.org/media/908/AnzTrikz-Torques.wmv
slapdash21
Futureless

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:24 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
*drools* thank you! i need some serious torque practice
Uranos
Egyptian Footgod

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Thanks Anz, ive been waiting for this Very Happy
janis
Shredalicious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:47 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
So close to hitting cloud torque, any hints/advice.
Thanks in advance.

calemccoy
Flower Child

Post by calemccoy » 09 Apr 2008 15:03

so, i have a very difficult time deciphering the mess above this.... id like some help on torques, but i cant draw anything form this. and what i did read was mostly controversy over the terms crispy and original. anyways... i need some torque help. anyone?
my footblog
bombbags for sale
-cale mccoy-
RVFA footbag

zeroman13
Post Master General

Post by zeroman13 » 09 Apr 2008 16:03

Learn crispy torque first! :lol:

What that means is learn blurry osis. It'll help with the motion you need to learn for torques. Once you think you have got the motion down really good. Do a set about waist high, maybe a little lower, and do the motion. It'll all be downtime and then you'll be doing original, :lol: , torque.

Hope that helped.
Wasabi wrote:Footbag is not materialistic; it's about challenging yourself and having fun at the same time.
Josh M.
My Website
Pm me for details about Munster Bags!

calemccoy
Flower Child

Post by calemccoy » 09 Apr 2008 19:47

ish..... i can do crispy torque, i have a good step set... but ill definitely drill it, that seems like it would make sense. should i twist my body like theres no tomorrow while doing it? thats how it looks to me whenever someone hits it.
my footblog
bombbags for sale
-cale mccoy-
RVFA footbag

Psilocybe
Fearless

Post by Psilocybe » 12 Apr 2008 13:15

Yeah, pretty much a 180 jump.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 12 Apr 2008 16:15

I've been drilling torques a bit recently, and I think the key is getting the osis foot into position as early as possible. I tend to think of it as just like a dlo, except you do an osis instead of a legover at the end - but pretty much the exact same timing. Actually a move that has helped a lot is doing frigid torques - ie. torque, but catching the bag in a frigid osis position. It's important to be careful doing this, because you don't want to end up doing torques where you catch the bag and then drag it around at the end, but doing it like that gave me a much better idea of where my foot should be and the correct timing. Watching top down videos of Vasek doing torque moves helped me a lot as well (ie. the Vasek in Paris vids).

lineman
Shredalicious

Post by lineman » 28 Jan 2009 09:16

The mulroney-special video is a good one too... he hits a TON of torques in a nice camera angle.

I believe you can find the video for download on flipsider's gallery.
Caio Nery Filho
www.caiones.com.br