Symposium Illusion (Flail)

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

funklovesfootbag
Womanizer

Post by funklovesfootbag » 03 May 2006 13:55

SET >> (NO PLANT WHILE) OP OUT [BOD][DEX] > OP TOE [DEL]
http://www.hackrifice.com/moves/3sympill.wmv

Flail! symp illusion. I haven't tried these lately because the last time I tried them it was super hard impact... Noticed there wasn't a flail topic (unless i missed it,) so let's hear your tips on this move.

I think my main problem is hesitation/not starting the dex soon enough, but i also feel like i can't get my dexing leg high enough (though the set was at knee/waist)
Fletcher Funk...

*Retired From Stitching*
(and basically freestyle.)

hackeysnacker

Post by hackeysnacker » 03 May 2006 15:19

set waist height and wait until the bag peaks - push off really hard while turning your hip towards the bag.. try to land on ur toes to lessen the impact. I find giving the support knee a good bend while the bag is rising helps w/ power.

funklovesfootbag
Womanizer

Post by funklovesfootbag » 03 May 2006 21:58

i tried this today.. when you say turn my hip towards the bag, do you mean open my hip, so lets say im setting with right foot, make the left side of my hip turn out, or in?

tried putting a lot of bend on my support leg, I seem to be able to get high enough but i just kick the bag.. I think I might need to set at a different height or get of the ground quicker. :?
Fletcher Funk...

*Retired From Stitching*

hackeysnacker

Post by hackeysnacker » 03 May 2006 22:16

when i say turn your hip I mean to turn ur hip in the same way u would for a pdx illusion, to get ur knee as close to dexing the bag as u can - I think you'll have less trouble with kicking the bag mid-air that way as it will make the dex less "footie"

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 04 May 2006 02:54

High knee lift is important. Also keep the bag inside your dexing leg - so your kneed should remain to the outside of the bag. Start the dex as soon as possible.

Good luck :)

Uranos
Flower Child

Post by Uranos » 04 May 2006 03:22

Yeah i found this move really hard to learn, it was quite dangerous for me but if you know the right techniqe then you can do it easily.

I basically think of it as a bigger jump than a symp mirage, and dex high as Jeremy Said. Also its important not to lean back when you execute the trick and stay upright. Dex high = better.

Good luck too :D
Alex Urano

Senor Grommet
Post Master General

Post by Senor Grommet » 05 May 2006 09:15

A lot of this move has to do with confidence in your ability to jump, dex, hit it, and to land without falling/crumbling to ground. If you can approach the move knowing that you're not going to get hurt trying it, then you can put a lot more effort into hitting it without fearing the worst. If you can't attempt this move every time without fear, then you are not ready to be trying it with a bag. With that said:

Tips:
-try it 20 times without a bag each day for 3 days, each time concentrating on having a wide dexing window and landing solidly with a slightly bent knee to cushion the impact. You don't have enough leg muscle to hit this move yet wuss.

-only try this move on your shred mats or on grass for a while, until your shins get used to the high impact. You don't want this move to be the cause of increased shin splints

-set>small hop>super fast symp explosion upwards over the bag> leggy dex wraps around the bag from front to back w/o hitting the bag> bent the support leg while landing>delay.
My name: Jeremy Mirken, AKA Chocolatey Shatner, AKA jerk enemy rim.

I kick it with trunk chef elf and liz luck key my.

funklovesfootbag
Womanizer

Post by funklovesfootbag » 06 May 2006 11:07

Hit it last night! :D
Fletcher Funk...

*Retired From Stitching*

ShredPirate
Punkass

Post by ShredPirate » 15 Jun 2006 23:48

FLAIL IS EZ!

as the bag leaves your toe (or clip) you will have a pre-hop (like with most symp moves). this pre-hop will "spring load" your calf muscle to be able to explode with a powerful jump. now act as though you were trying a flying inside, but jump even higher. when you clear the bag, start doing the illusion, and be ready to catch it on your toe.

feel free to bail out, and let your setting foot hit the ground before the symp move lands. it's always better to get the starting motion down at least, and not get injured.

if you can't jump high enough, try doing a situp in midair to pull your legs higher. and if you don't feel confident in landing on one leg from a high jump, practice jumping off 1-2 foot ledges onto one leg, and find out what your limit is. this will give you confidence and strength to land on your symp foot.
Chris Pinkus

max
Australofrenchbrityorkus

Post by max » 16 Jun 2006 03:11

now act as though you were trying a flying inside
best tip right there!
Maxime Boucoiran
French ConneXion
BFC

tstep84
Shredaholic

Post by tstep84 » 06 Sep 2006 09:11

This might be bad advice, but I can hit flailing and wonton sets and pdx flail, fairly easily. When I land, I let my hold leg absorb the shock. I land on my toe, then bring my heal down, and bend my knee slightly, but not so much that I lose my balance. Is this correct.

Also, the whole charging your calf muscle thing is very important I think for every symp move. I think of it as trying to push down the ground beneath me for a short second and after a while you begin to feel the springs in your legs compress

Hope this doesn't seem like nonsense
Tom Stepek

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 06 Sep 2006 11:48

sounds like how I do mine, tom.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

qphox
Bullshit Detector

Post by qphox » 25 Sep 2006 21:39

I learned flail the same way I learned illusion.

For illusion, I couldn't quite get the motions down, it seemed really bizarre to me...so here's what I did: I practised legover. A lot.

Then I practised doing legover, but dexing sooner (not necessarily faster, that came later).

Then I'd do 3 or 4 legovers with a sooner dex, then using those as a reference point, I'd do one more but try to just bail PAST the bag to my opposite toe.

(It's the same way I learned whirls. Pickup, toe, pickup, toe, pickup, toe, pickup, toe, whirl.)

So for Symp illusion, I switched over from regular legovers to symple legovers. Then I tried to increase the height of the dex. Once I was confident with the height and timing of the dex, I would again try to bail PAST the bag to my other foot (thus landing on the dexing leg. symposium.)

It's pretty late here...I'm not sure that's going to help anyone, but I thought I'd just throw it out there. :)
- Kevin R.

F = G*((m1*m2)/r^2)

Know thy enemy.

Zeb Jackson
Post Master General

Post by Zeb Jackson » 25 Sep 2006 22:20

wow! same way i learned how to do em! Its nice to hear somtime in my existence of more or less shredding by myself that my maddening ideas actually work!

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 24 Jan 2007 06:00

any tips for downtime flail would be greatly appreciated :)

qphox
Bullshit Detector

Post by qphox » 06 Feb 2007 14:10

- Kevin R.

F = G*((m1*m2)/r^2)

Know thy enemy.

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 06 Feb 2007 23:06

thanks for posting a video :)