terms: symposium and symple

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

Derek
Fearless

terms: symposium and symple

Post by Derek » 24 Aug 2012 07:51

What are these? I get it, but then it seems too easy, so I can't be getting it. I get that these are kind of like the same thing, but does Sympl stuff actually get another Add? Like say a Sympl Switch, is that really 3 Adds? I know I could Pixie Sympl Switch, would that be 4? For some reason whenever I do SS Mixer's, it feels more comfortable to do it without a plant. So those are Symposium or Sympl SS Mixer's?(catching with my non hovering leg) Please cure me of noob-ness.

Added to Master List under "terminology" -- Erik (not a mod)
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

fatbagger
Multidex Master

Re: Symposium and Sympl?

Post by fatbagger » 24 Aug 2012 08:05

Symposium gets an add but symple doesn't. The term "symple" is just used to describe a certain style of preforming a trick.
I like to play.
I want to play good.
Dan Reed

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 24 Aug 2012 08:37

Ok, that makes more sense. Thanks a lot dude! There are SO many components to learn about footbag, I fear it's going to take too long to learn even half.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Nathan
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Nathan » 24 Aug 2012 09:21

With time you'll learn what symposium and symple actually feel like - two very different concepts.

In both instances, it means that you jump off the leg that does the dex. Mixer (aka double legover) can be hit symposium, but not symple. With the trick you're describing, same same symp mixer, you would set from right toe, plant your right foot, then jump off your right foot to complete the mirage dex. The way you describe it in your post is muted, where the right foot would never even touch the ground. Also a cool trick, but very different than symposium.

An easy way to think about the difference between symp/symple is this: If you jump and land on the same leg (and therefore stall with the other foot) it's symp and it gets an add. Example: Mirage, whirl, illusion. If you jump off of one foot and then land on the other (and therefore stall on the foot you jumped from) it's symple. Examples: legover, pickup, drifter.

Hope that helps some.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 24 Aug 2012 11:46

As much as this hurts me to do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNkxNXdGr4E

Hope that helps demonstrate.

Oh and what I called "pogo" is not actually pogo... I was pretty nooby when I made this video. Everything else is good though.

(FYI: Pogo is like symposium stepping. So Pogo Ripwalk would be "Clipper with right foot, step with left leg, plant immediately with left leg, do the op butterfly)

Disclaimer: The video I posted is about a year old, so Jackson and I have gained a little bit more maturity than that... nah not really.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Derek
Fearless

Re: terms: symposium and symple

Post by Derek » 24 Aug 2012 14:58

Nathan: Grazi on the break down. So sympl just fancies up a trick a bit then? Oh, and I got your bag today. It will be put to good use tonight 8) .

Nick: Are you kidding me, that was pretty hilarious. Surprised I didn't see it when I looked up Symple stuff. Definitely sums it all up for me. Do you guys play in the street often?
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

g00d33
Egyptian Footgod

Post by g00d33 » 06 Sep 2012 20:41

Nathan wrote:Mixer (aka double legover) can be hit symposium, but not symple.

Well, technically mixer is symple to begin with, in that the legover dex is symple :wink:
John Goode

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Re: terms: symposium and symple

Post by Jeremy » 11 Feb 2013 21:35

Sorry this is a late reply.

You can actually theoretically hit any dex trick symposium or symple. I've hit most/all of the basic dex tricks both ways. You just need to start the dex early and have very quick footwork. For a lot you need to lift your feet off the ground without really jumping so that you can dex the trick and get it back on the ground again with time to then change feet and stall. Unconventional symple tricks are also very difficult but fun.

Examples;

Symposium around the world. Set bag. Plant setting foot, hop off this foot and dex bag, landing again on this foot, switch feet on ground, stall with setting foot.

Symple butterfly. Set. Plant dexing foot, hop off this foot, dex bag. Plant non-dexing foot. Raise planted foot and move to clipper position while planting dexing foot, stall clipper.