Clipper

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 23 Feb 2006 08:30

Sidi||TOFU
Hack Fiend

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:00 pm Post subject: Clippa 2 Clippa Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Hello, I am starting to get my clippers going good and can incorporate toe moves with them. I however, am unable to clipper back and forth. I am wondering if I should be trying to set it between me or if I should bring my clippers to closer together or what i should do. I need help....any advice would be great, thanks
hackeysnacker
BSOS Beast

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:13 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
time to learn butterfly / clipper>infinity Smile
do u plant ur legs between clipper> op clipper? that's probably a more controlled way of practicing it. Also, clipper (plant) > ss clipper is a good drill for getting consistent controlled stalls and sets. Very boring... but it works.
Paul Agostinelli
Fearless

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:00 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
alright, so clipper to clipper requires a few things.

first, do you have clippers both sides dialed? can you consistantly drop from your hand, stall the clipper and set it straight back up to your hand? if you cant do this almost every time, you need to work on it till you can.

next you need to work on consecutive clippers, clip>same clip. these are an essential stepping stone to any clipper trick. if you can do at least 5 on both sides consistantly, you're in good shape.

for clip>op clip you need to have a set just above waist height, i recommend a straight set, some people set it across the body, but i suggest trying to make your sets as straight as possible, itll save you a lot of trouble down the line.

supposing you start with your right clipper,

catch the bag solidly and comfortably with your support leg bent and your shoulders turned toward the clipper. your knees should be pretty close together so that means your foot will be "far" away from your body. the more ankle crank you have, the easier it will be to catch clippers closer to your body, but having your knees close together is good form.

set the bag straight up with your support leg doing most of the work. I REPEAT, USE YOUR SUPPORT LEG TO DO MOST OF THE WORK. this will ensure a straight set. the less movement your catch leg has, the better.
if done properly, your support leg should just barely leave the ground when the bag leaves your foot.

quickly plant your right foot and then the left, while turning your body to face the opposite clipper, and then catch the bag on your left clipper.

when you do clipper op clipper, if you are setting straight up, you will actually turn your entire body 180 degrees.

when you get a little more advanced, you can actually practice setting the bag straight up diong alternating clippers by picking a spot on the ground and making the bag rise and fall directly over this spot.

hopefully this will help, its the best explination i can give without actually seeing you play.

i have had some great teachers for my basics and these are a compilation of all the tips i recieved from them. to name a few, matt cross taught me clippers to begin with, jorden moir gave me the tip on keeping my knees together, yascine merzouk was the 180 degree tip, just to name a few.

~NEL~

"But this train is railroad property!"

"Do you see this gun?
It means if you don't, I'll shoot you."
Sidi||TOFU
Hack Fiend

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:20 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Thanks Paul for all the great tips! I have already attempted some of the things you suggested and am seeing a great improvement in my ability to do clippers. I am discovering the clipper rhythm and although I am not able to do what the post initially entailed, I am seeing the process coming together. My clippers are getting better. My form is improving and the speed is coming in to anticipate the bag. All that is left is to drill the motions and let the inevitable occur.
Thanks again. Smile take care
Boyall
Hack Fiend

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:32 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
wicked advice paul i am also struggling with my clipper to clipper but this should set back on the straight and narrow

also what is Infinity? (it was mentioned at the top) because i can do a butterfly

matt,

Matt Boyall
SandWraith
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:45 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
An infinity is just a butterfly set from clipper. You can still call it a butterfly though-- people will know what you mean.
Tjuggles
Shredaholic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
All I can say is once you get clippers dialed, footbag becomes a lot more fun and addicting!!
Good luck, and practice makes perfect!! Wink

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

dontlikespam
Shredalicious

Post by dontlikespam » 23 Feb 2006 10:46

My post doesn't really work without that diagram. Could you put that back in there please?
Eric Campbell

Faco
Fearless

Post by Faco » 07 Mar 2006 02:55

Just to keep this alive, I've fixed my problem. I suggest anyone who's doing that (touching the ground with the delaying leg) to do the same.
Ales Zazaro

Dat
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Dat » 21 May 2006 15:46

Dat Phan
-

CL: openFrameworks

vettehunter123
Multidex Master

Post by vettehunter123 » 22 May 2006 21:23

hey whats the best way to get out of a clipper delay? when i stick one i have trouble flicking it up and going on to another delay.
Travis Iden

Salt
Shredaholic

Post by Salt » 24 May 2006 04:07

I was having major problems with the bag going to the right, rather than up when I set it. I had to sort of 'stand up' when I was hitting them, and my feet don't need to be as bent, it's doubly easier. I realized that the delaying foot doesn't need to be flat, the curve of the laver cushions the bag and will stall even when it's not as flat.

This will make the bag set straight up, and you can then link it to another stall.
Cory Shepherdson
Ottawa, Ontario
Beginner Freestyle

shred villain
Super Nice Guy

Post by shred villain » 18 Jun 2006 12:53

i am having problems with timing as well. i can toss it up and catch i tand cushion it down, but when i try while playing, i can't get the timing right(imo).
this is with just kicking it and going into a clipper. i can do wraps and go form toe and inside stalls to a clipper fine.
Erik Savage- i make and sell footbags for 22 bucks. i also trade.

Erik's Awesome Blog

Ryoko
Circle Kicker

Toe stall to Clipper

Post by Ryoko » 10 Sep 2006 08:34

It makes me frustrated when i try to land the clipper, i can get it on my foot but then it just rolls right off, does anybody have suggestions on how to land it?

[merged with clipper thread - Frank_]

Zeb Jackson
Post Master General

Post by Zeb Jackson » 10 Sep 2006 10:07

if its just rolling off your probably not cushioning it enough, when you go to land the clipper try bending your support leg with it, to help catch the bag

PegLegHolly
Swashbuckler

Post by PegLegHolly » 10 Sep 2006 10:25

also you might have your foot angled wrong. try to make the inside surface more leveled.
Holly Mathews
peglegholly.com

gangsta
BSOS Beast

Post by gangsta » 10 Sep 2006 10:37

Practice.

Dat
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Dat » 10 Sep 2006 10:37

Learn inside stalls till you're sick of them. Then practice inside stalls some more. Then try to do inside stalls with your support leg infront of your stalling leg. Then start calling those clippers.
Last edited by Dat on 10 Sep 2006 10:44, edited 2 times in total.
Dat Phan
-

Dat
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Dat » 10 Sep 2006 10:39

gangsta wrote:Practice.
I'm sure you could give him a better tip than that if you tried.
Dat Phan
-

gangsta
BSOS Beast

Post by gangsta » 10 Sep 2006 14:08

Dat wrote:
gangsta wrote:Practice.
I'm sure you could give him a better tip than that if you tried.
Practice Alot? :P

Cushion the bag as if you were trying to stall an egg.

beenjammin
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by beenjammin » 10 Sep 2006 18:16

I agree with gangsta, theres no other way. Try to keep your clipper from touching the ground.
"Every cereal is my favorite cereal"
Ben Rinowski

Spontaneous Spaz
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Spontaneous Spaz » 10 Sep 2006 20:03

do this excersize troy taught me and really helped:

do an inside stall, then either do a walkover or just a wrap and bring the foot behind u with the bag still on it. lower ur foot up and down a couple times, then go back to the front and repeat. remember, if u have enough ankle crank to do an inside stall, u should be able to do a clipper no problem

DanielWhittle
Shredaholic

Post by DanielWhittle » 12 Sep 2006 06:26

Say if you were to do a right foot clipper, lean to the right so you lean slightly away from the foot, which will then give your stalling leg more room AND make the foot flatter.

Also, use the support leg alot more than the actual stalling foot ( i realised this after a while). Most of the cushioning is executed by using your support leg.
Daniel Whittle

14 Years Old

UK Shredder

akalazou
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by akalazou » 14 Sep 2006 16:36

the technical points i know about a clipper ..

1. both knees in the same direction
2. bring your opposite shoulder in front of you (twisting body)
3. bend your support leg
4. push with you toe "downward" (vers le bas, in french)
5. push inward with your lil toe (4. and 5. = crank your ankle as much as possible)
6. try to catch the bag as high as possible
7. stay in balance
8. put your supporting foot inward (about 45 degree)
9. keep the bag as close as possible
10. look at the bag (:roll:)
11. practice :)

edit: 12. try to keep your knees together
Julien Cote

Proud to be sponsored by http://www.kolosport.com

footymatt
Shredaholic

Post by footymatt » 14 Sep 2006 17:02

Try to set it at different heights until you find the one that works best for you.

But I recommend trying to stay at waist level. That should give you ample time to see it peak and get a good view on where it's going to go. Also try making it a smooth move, if it feels like your trying to hard..you are. I agree with everybody elses tips, insides>wraps or step overs are a great way to learn (but I'd tell you to stay away from flying step overs till you get good, I twisted both my ankles on that one and it's really slowed my game progress). I saw a pic of Jordan Moir doing a "perfect" clipper postion in one of these topics, aim to turn your hips away from the clipper with your shoulders to it. Helps big time (thanks Jordan). Also posture is very important, he was saying how he sees new people playing vampire hack (hunched over) and that helps toss your game in the trash. And I've found that he's right. I didn't go pro overnight because of it, but it really bumped my hit ratio up (thanks again Jordan).

Practice.

P.s. Two f'd up ankles blows big donkey dick, and hurts too! In case you were wondering, I lifted my stalling leg to soon and landed on it with my dexing leg, and whamo! I could of laughed if I could of walked.
<--==╡"F♂OtYmÄtT"╞==-->
To bend and move is natural; to play footbag is naturaler!! Ha Ha
-Matt Hennemuth
Footy Footbags Club

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 14 Sep 2006 18:28

Do it like that.

Practice.
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*