Barfly

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

Slippur
BSOS Beast

Barfly

Post by Slippur » 27 Sep 2004 11:18

Barfly
CLIP >> SAME OUT [DEX] > SAME OUT [DEX] > OP CLIP [XBD][DEL]
http://www.hackrifice.com/moves/4barfly.wmv

I can hit double over down and paradon both sides consistently (maybe a little less consistently flip--around 3 out of 4), but when I do barfly I either 'the' the dexes, or end up too off-balance to seal it with anything but an osis.

Does anyone have any tips or drills?
Andy Chumbley

footjoe
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by footjoe » 27 Sep 2004 12:25

Ive been practicing this trick and had it off my foot a few tims and i noticed you need to start to dex it right as the bag reaches its peak and try to get a calf dex so you will make some clean dexes. Also if you turn slightly when you set it helps a little to. But I havnt hit it yet so maybe some people who have can put some tips here to.
15 year old Joe Kulacz

Shredster
Flower Child

Post by Shredster » 27 Sep 2004 14:56

Ok. It took me a while to figure this trick out, but here is one major thing that helped me:

After you set the bag mostly straight up from your clipper (perhaps set it slightly towards your op side, but not enough to really notice), turn your body towards the bag.

If you set the bag too crossbody and try and dex the bag, you will most likely end up off balance and possibly the. Also, if you set the bag straight up and do not twist your body at all, I find you are also off balance, and your dexes may The...

I'm not saying twist a full 90 degrees or anything. Its just, after you set it straight up, turn your body and let your leg follow through for the dexes. DO NOT SET IT ACROSS...its much harder.
Chris May
Paradox=((5N^x^p)-54000aph^np)/adds
Its just about that confusing...

Krafty
Fearless

Post by Krafty » 27 Sep 2004 16:34

I was wondering if you guys had any tips for double-over-down and paradon. It seems that everytime I attempt them, my dexing leg either hits the bag or if I complete the dexes, I'm too late for the Xbd delay. Any advice on setting or dexing, etc. would be gratefully accepted. Thanks! :)
Kaushik Amancherla

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 27 Sep 2004 16:46

It's important to do a little hop to the side just after you set the bag. If you can do nuke sets - it's like that except you don't want to dex it really quickly.

Watch a video of Ales hitting it.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 27 Sep 2004 16:56

All the double downs are completely different moves for me. They all have a different feel. I learned barflies by watching Ales doing consecutives. Think of them as infinities with an extra dex thrown in really fast at the end. Dex your first leg at the peak, like footjoe said, and just follow through with the second dex. Try not to hop. Think infinity and fall into the dexes -- my barflies are sloppiest when I hop into them. Try to stay on the ground and just fall into the dexes. Good luck.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 27 Sep 2004 17:30

If you don't hop sideways you either have to twist about 45 degrees or set the bag across your body instead. All far side moves are heaps easier and look better if you do a small hop to the side as you're setting the bag. You should always try and set the bag straight up and down - it will really help with linking moves and hitting harder moves.

ednie
Shredalicious

Post by ednie » 05 Oct 2004 03:10

you have to learn reaper
reaper is harder
but it will teach you how to position your body well
reaper takes more skill than barfly
so don;t be disheartened
move your body toward the set and start the dexes early
dan ednie

Shredster
Flower Child

Post by Shredster » 05 Oct 2004 11:11

ednie wrote:you have to learn reaper
reaper is harder
but it will teach you how to position your body well
reaper takes more skill than barfly
so don;t be disheartened
move your body toward the set and start the dexes early
dan ednie
Not to nitpick, but you don't HAVE to learn reaper...
Chris May
Paradox=((5N^x^p)-54000aph^np)/adds
Its just about that confusing...

Sergey
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Sergey » 05 Oct 2004 12:19

I might be wrong, but I agree with Shredster that barfly and reaper are two completely different tricks which are executed differently. To hit reaper, you just have to move fast enough and have a good set, but speed is not main thing in barfly, it's all about how and where you set the bag. I also think it's somewhat hard to learn reaper before barfly. :roll:
Sergey Pikalov

ednie
Shredalicious

Post by ednie » 07 Oct 2004 01:42

if you don;t leanr reaper your barfly will never ever be as good as it could be

the reason why you think that it is all about the set is back you are trying to hit the move without moving your body
people who have the most trouble with this move are people who set the bag across their body and then dexing hoping that you can not hit the bag with the dexes : this method involves a much lower margin of error

eg right clipper set
if you set the bag straight, move your body both left and slightly back you take the clipper set out of the trick and it becomes a double around the world

when you learn barfly with out reaper people tend to set the bag across them which won;t mean that you drop it, although in the long run you will still lack the consistency and the same control needed to hit consistently high sets out of the trick
when you set it across your body your balance will be falling away instead of staying over the bag. The result is that most people bail to an osis, or if they have other downtime moves on demand they might pdx whirl or spin out, but spinning out is easy because that falling away motion is natural to most people's spinning technique (good spins will not have very much of this motion.

dazza
Flower Child

Post by dazza » 15 Jan 2007 08:01

I will try out all these tips tonite, but i have a feeling that the spirits of Ales
and Ednie will be most inspirational .

Before i even thought about paradon,i already had a decent dso, and now
my paradons are usually deep and clean - learning reaper before barfly
might have a similar result .
EASYKINKI

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 15 Jan 2007 08:09

i can hit reaper 8 out of 10 times but i've never hit barfly.
Pete Bowler
B$C
keeps it offah da ground.

617 FOR LIFE

beenjammin
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by beenjammin » 17 Jan 2007 14:39

Is flipside Barfly not the hardest thing ever? Im ashamed to say I have NEVER hit any flipside dod, but on my otherside I used to hit almost all dod's despite the fact that I have wasted sooooooo much time working on flipside :x FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x
"Every cereal is my favorite cereal"
Ben Rinowski

Anexthesis
Shredaholic

Post by Anexthesis » 09 Feb 2007 20:08

I was working on this today it's a bitch of a move to get. I hit one flipside and none strong side. (It was my first barfly ever. Strange that it was flipside as my DOD's and Paradon's are much stronger op-side.) Anyway if you look at the comments in this thread almost everyone says to do them slightly differently. My best advice would be to experiment w/o a bag in front of a mirror until you find a method that looks and feels smooth/clean.

Personally I've been trying to do them with a strait up set and a tiny hop to the side then doing the first dexterity slightly illusion-like then falling into a butterfly from there.
James Pleas

zachatree
Happy Hippy Hoffa

flip double dexs Tips, anything, please

Post by zachatree » 10 Mar 2011 18:51

i can do datw, paradon, double switch over on my strong side.

my flip is just stupid. im sure other players at one time where the same way. dose anyone have any good tips to help teach the flip side to do the motion?

i currently am constantly doing the motion in/out an out/in when standing every where ( probable looks sorta odd. )

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 10 Mar 2011 19:25

If you've got the dexes solid on one side, there's flipside advice that can be applied to every trick: analyze your good side!

How high are you setting the bag on your good side?
How much do you turn your hips on your good side?
When do you start the first dex on your good side?
How do you cushion the stall on your good side?

In addition to this, even though your good side may be consistent, re-read threads on the double down tricks you're wanting to learn on your flip, and you may rediscover tricks that you forget from when you learned your good side.

Additionally, there's an organizational policy for the Trick Tips forum. You have to look through the MASTER LIST before posting a new topic. There are tips for double down tricks that will help you. In looking myself, there was previous a "double dexing/double downs" thread started by you 5 years ago (http://www.modified.in/footbag/viewtopi ... 239#104239), though it seems that in my time away as moderator of this sub-forum, another mod has done some merging and clean-up that combined the thread with Paradon. I'm going to merge this new thread with the barfly thread, since I personally feel that may be the easiest trick with which to analyze double down tricks in general. Please heed the sub-forum rules in the future. And good luck with the tricks! -- Erik (not a mod)

xsisbest
Shredaholic

Post by xsisbest » 31 May 2011 11:17

I feel like this is one of the last tricks I need to learn to make me feel like I've reached that advanced level. Granted there is so much more to learn but this one seems to be in everyone's bag of tricks. I just cannot get the hang of it for the life of me. I go to do the around the world and my leg just stops.. I end up stalling it on the dexing foot like a normal around the world. My mind just won't allow it to keep going and fall into the clipper. I've read these comments over a few times now as well as find several youtube videos but nothings helping. I have hit paradon a few times and can do datw but this move is pissing me off.. lol. Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)
A dream becomes a goal when action is taken towards it's achievement

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 31 May 2011 20:03

Practice the motion without the bag. Watch some videos, especially this one;

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Vtr_FToHQ[/youtube]

Once you've practiced the motion without the bag a lot, try doing the same thing with the bag, but to begin with don't look at the bag - just try to go clipper stall>set>motion without the bag (only you have the bag). Once you can do this without the footwork feeling impossible, try to actually hit the move.

I note that you should find all downtime components relatively similar regardless of set. If you don't then I'd recommend drilling your basics off multiple sets. Drills like this;

clip>ss legover>op legover>ss clip>far legover>op legover>ss clip repeat

toe>ss butterfly>ss butterfly>op butterfly>pdx mirage>op butterfly>mirage repeat

Or just hit runs where you try to hit the basic 2s and 3s off each clipper and each toe, same side and op side, as much as you can.

You should aim to get to a point where if you learn a new downtime component you can hit it off any of the basic sets as soon as you hit it off one set.

xsisbest
Shredaholic

Post by xsisbest » 04 Jun 2011 19:54

Thank you very much for going into further detail on this. I didn't realize double down was the same move. I watch Anssi's videos religiously and owe him greatly for what he's taught me in his tutorials. I will take your advice though and practice this without the bag. I'm hoping by the US championships I'll have this down. I'm pretty bad at footbag terminology and the names of moves. I've only been able to play with other footbaggers one time and that was at USO's last year. Otherwise youtube is all I have. I appreciate your help again!
A dream becomes a goal when action is taken towards it's achievement