Pixie/Open Mirage (Smear)

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

TerminaL
Circle Kicker

Post by TerminaL » 04 Oct 2004 11:21

TOE > SAME IN [DEX] >> OP IN [DEX] > OP TOE [DEL]
http://www.hackrifice.com/moves/3pixiemirage.wmv

I need tips on getting the bag high enough from the set (or something like that) so that I can complete the second dex. Like do I set the bag up then immediately slam the setting foot down so i can make a weak dex with the other leg? I watch people on videos doing it and they bring their pixie setting leg up almost to their chest to get the bag high enough. As with all tricks it requires practice and yes I've been practicing it with no success after like 50 tries a day. The closest I've came was I got the second dex but couldn't get my setting leg over in time to catch the bag. :oops:

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 04 Oct 2004 11:31

Do this:
Practice the pixie set (in my opinion you have to do it equally both sides or it's a waste of time...) alone. See how high you can set JUST the set. You could also try other pixie moves. Dimwalk is an easy one that doesn't really require much of a pixie set because you can fall into the butterfly. Magellan is an excellent one for learning a higher pixie set than is needed for smear because you have to dex twice with the same leg. Just try to duck your pixie set. Over-exaggerate everything. If you want to hit DATW think TATW, do you know what I'm saying? Just set your pixie set from both sides and try to duck it. Try this 50 times each side and see how high you can get it. After trying to DUCK the set hitting smear should be a breeze (as long as you can consistantly hit mirage...)
Good luck.
(Also.......WATCH VIDEOS!!!!!!)
http://www.hackrifice.com/ <---We used to have set demos but I want to refilm them before I put them back up. Watch the smear demo, the dimwalk demo and the magellan demo in slow motion. Also watch some of the pixie ducking tricks. Watch Derek's leg and see what he does with it. Try to immitate his style in every aspect (the angle of the foot, the direction of the pointed knee, the height of the thigh at the release of the set. OBSERVE :)

sampotter
the boy who lived

Post by sampotter » 04 Oct 2004 14:37

Like Chan said, practice the set, don't practice the move. If you learn the move, you'll pick up bad form and bad habits, which leads to it being harder to do other pixie set moves. Personally, I think the best three pixie moves to learn first are magellan and pixie clipper (ss? jobs: toe>same in>>op clip) I used to think smear was, but not anymore. With smear you can develop a tendency to rush the set and mirage and develop a poor set. With pixie clipper and magellan, you need to really set and then do the other bit of the move. Pixie clipper is easier to hit, but it can be a good move to school, as you can get a really explosive set then just bail to clipper.

As for good form for learning pixie... I wrote a really long response to it in Connor Campbell's blog, I THINK.

dazza
Flower Child

Post by dazza » 04 Oct 2004 15:58

Yo Terminal ! I also just started freestyling and this is what helped me
to hit a few basic pixie tricks:
Grab your bag, drop it and pixie it up to hand catch. Do that 50 times
a day, ON BOTH SIDES and you wont end up frustated, but explosive :wink:
As chan and eric pointed out already, its the set that really maters and
thats what you should school IMO.
Bring the bag up high as hell and when the bag leaves your foot, its the
right time to dex. Its vital that the bag is going up straight and close
to your body.Do the dex tight (= close to your body) and then quickly
plant the dexing leg. If you focus on these thigs, you'll see, that you
have plenty time to do whatever second dex with the other leg.
Speaking of which, i think pixie legover ( toe>same in>op out>same toe )
is a good one to try first, because its not to hard and it feels good hitting.
But, like nagasake said, practice magellan ( toe>same in>same out>same toe ) and your set will become high and clean the same time :wink:
I hope this will help and, dude watch videos, read the threads in the getting started section of this forum, play with advanced peeps and yep,
you guessed it, practice pRAcTiCE PRAcTIce PRACTcE ON BOTH SIDES :)
EASYKINKI

TerminaL
Circle Kicker

Post by TerminaL » 06 Oct 2004 06:05

Greets Fellow Foot Slaves,
I managed to pull off some smears last night (I would have posted then but someone was using the computer). Anyway so it began as normal, me practicing pixies over and over both sides equally. Then I just finally had to try a smear. Missed about ten times. Then I figured out the motion, I don't know what it was but I flung the pixie up about chest height and this time I did something I usually didn't do. I watched the bag in the air, then i did a normal mirage as if it was set from a toe stall. Boom flipside I got the trick first. Then right after that I tried with my right side and hit it very clean. I think I have it down now because I tried like 4-5 times after that and hit them all. I think I have a pretty consistent pixie set on both sides. Thanks for the advice.
Edit:Forgot to mention the reason why I quit for the night. I quit because my footbag landed in some mashed potatoes so I decided to wash it. :oops:
Brad Petersen - aka Lazy Dolt

Krafty
Fearless

Post by Krafty » 06 Oct 2004 13:14

TerminaL wrote:Forgot to mention the reason why I quit for the night. I quit because my footbag landed in some mashed potatoes so I decided to wash it. :oops:
Hahaha...That made me laugh! :D BTW, props on hitting smear!!
Kaushik Amancherla

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 23 Feb 2006 06:55

travismontoya
BSOS Beast

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:58 pm Post subject: Smear help anyone? Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I have my pixies and my mirages down good, But I cant seem to get a smear at all, Sometimes I can get the pixie set but I always hit the bag with my left leg when trying to do a mirage, And I can't dex it fast enough before the bag hits.. Anyone Ideas? Help? Infozz??? Razz Thanks
professor
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:14 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I think it's because of the way you do your tricks. It's the hop thing again. You hardly bounce at all when you play and that makes it harder to dex quickly. You need to be able to get your pixie leg down as quick as possible so that you have a good amount of time to mirage.

One of the funniest commercials ever!

No I don't play soccer. Yes there are competitions. A year and a half. Lots and lots of practice.
travismontoya
BSOS Beast

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:16 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
wat?!? are you kidding I hope ALOT now... legovers I hvae to hop, hopovers I have to hop, clip set mirages I have to hop I HOP GOD DAMNIT !!! Very Happy
Wim
Multidex Master

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:54 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Confused If you have pixie and mirage, you should be right there...

Is your pixie really really uptime? Does the bag still rise after you've completed the dex? Also try some downtime mirages.

The only thing I can think of is:
-set waist high and close to your body (although when you're just starting to hit smear, it may help to set higher so you have more time to plant, swith feet,... etc.)
-do you set 'under your nose' or 'under your eye'? Smile I do the second, which requires a slight pivot of the hips when the bag reaches its peak, so you're in a position to start bringing the leg up and around for the second dex.

Does that make sense? Good luck yo.

Bllllog-Challlengiz-Org gallery
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Uranos
Egyptian Footgod

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:23 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Maybe you should school the pixie set, because thats the hardest part of this trick.

PIxie set:
1) set, then dex
2) knee up then bend outwards
3)Keep drilling the motion, this move takes a little time to get used too, and its probably also the easiest set to learn from too.

Good luck!
http://www.modified.ca/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=11782
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
rory
Multidex Master

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:55 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
i would say skool your pixies by doing consecutives and doing the actuall set than a hand catch, but make shure ur foot is on the ground before u catch the bag and eventually the set will get faster and it will be easier to get that mirage, this helped me alot i hope it works for u too
Jeremy
Iraq Disarmed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:00 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Totally - I agree with Pat - that's what I did for hours to get my flipside pixie to be consistant. Actually it still needs more work but I can hit like 20 consecutive magellans on that side sometimes so it's pretty solid.

Also drill consecutive mirages. Even though it's one sided. Perhaps put a limit on how many you do on each side to keep things balanced - ie. do 10 one side than 10 the other. I tend to set a goal and then keep going before I reach it. So if it took me 5 attempts to hit 10 consecutive mirages on one side and I did it first attempt on the other side that would mean I'm spending more time on the side that needs work but still making sure I keep my skills (and maybe improve them) on the other side.

Good luck!

"you're signature really irks me. It only proves the self-righteousness that I know has always existed in you." - Dan Feary
Just call me hagesy
Fearless

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Get on your toes.

"We are the tools and vessels of the rich behind the scenes. We are marionettes. These men pull the strings and we dance. Our time, our talents, our lives, our capacities are all the property of these men. We are intellectual prostitutes." (T.ST John Gaffney)
sniikeri
Lauri Jii

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:26 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Word, join the NHIGWTG posse (= "No Heels In the Ground While Toe Game). It'll help.

For skooling pixie - don't do a pixie hand catch, do a pixie op knee bump, it helped me a lot.

Varokaa vihaista mouhijärveläistä!