Around The World (ATW)/Around/Orbit

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

HippieTom
Shredaholic

Post by HippieTom » 06 Jun 2008 12:52

good trait to have haha but yeah study your strongside atw and clipper and just try to mimic it exactly with your flipside, for me a lot of it had to do with timing and the way i was positioned over the bag so that might make a difference for yours as well
Tom Stouffer

CL: fairy, pixie, consistency, swirls, whirls, and bops(consistency)

Jordan
Wu-Tang

Post by Jordan » 06 Jun 2008 13:26

ill try that. thanx a lot :D

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 06 Jun 2008 16:02

When I realised I needed to learn moves on my flipside I pretty much spent every training session (and at time I was doing a few hours every day) working on flipside moves.

Be disciplined. Don't just spend the session working on whatever move you feel like. Think about where your biggest weaknesses are and drill those. Start with the sub components, work your way up to the main component and then drill the harder versions.

For example if I were drilling flipside whirl I'd start off drilling clippers and pickups on that side - in drilling pickups I'd do clip set, clip set far side, toe, toe ss (in atw, but pickup style), double pickup from all those sets, pixie pickup, pixie ss, spinning, gyro, stepping and "blurry," ducking. Possibly atomic and fairy. Then I'd work on normal flip whirls, symp whirls, pdx whirls, blurry whirls, stepping whirls, ducking and diving whirls, ps whirls, whirr, spinning and gyro whirls, pixie whirls, pixie ss whirls, atomic and tapping whirls etc.

Obviously you don't need to do all those moves, but the point is to do as many different variations of moves involving the subcomponents and the component you want to drill.

Also never be happy just hitting the moves you're drilling. Think about how they would feel and look if you were hitting them perfectly, and only be happy if that's how you're doing them. Since you probably won't achieve perfection, make sure you feel relatively comfortable with each component, but spend no more than 30 minutes on each component (at a very maximum, usually I'd spend a lot less - more like 5 to 10 minutes) - if you've spent that long and still don't feel comfortable make sure you come back to it later on in the session or next session. If you're not making progress on one move and you've been trying it for half an hour, although you may make progress eventually, it's probably a sign that you need to drill the components/subcomponents of this move more and you could better spend your time working on other things.

Chase
Shredaholic

Post by Chase » 07 Jun 2008 16:30

Even though you can already do toe stalls and inside stalls on both feet, make sure you are doing it the same with both feet. About a month or two ago I realized that 8 months into my game my toe stalls weren't the same. The problem was with my "dominant" leg. I was setting the bag to the outside of my knee every time, but with my flip it was a fine set between my knees. Once i corrected that one little thing all my 2adds became so much cleaner and easier.
Chase Card-Burns

Jordan
Wu-Tang

Post by Jordan » 08 Jun 2008 11:12

yea. my toe stalls set between my knees, and i will keep your advice in mind... thanx for the help guys, im just gona keep on shreddin! :D

Weretaco
Circle Kicker

Quick question about ATW

Post by Weretaco » 24 Jul 2008 14:59

Hey guys,

I just recently got back into footbag and learned the Around the World. I was just wondering, which direction do you personally spin the leg around the footbag, clockwise or counterclickwise (also specify which leg you do it with for which direction).

I was playing around with both directions but so far I can only do them clockwise with my right leg.

Merged. Please read the stickied post at the top of the Trick Tips forum before starting a new thread in the future. Thanks. -Erik

professor
Post Master General

Post by professor » 24 Jul 2008 15:07

Being both sided is extremely important in footbag and different tricks require you to use different dex rotations, so you'll want to learn both ways.

Both legs, both ways.
Ben Skaggs

Amateurs practice until they can get it right.
Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

No, I don't play soccer. Yes, there are competitions. 4 years. Lots of practice.

david
Senor Buttercup

Post by david » 24 Jul 2008 15:08

Welcome back.

Most people naturally go one way better than the other, like which hand you write with or which way you stand on a skateboard. Thus, there is no need to worry that clockwise comes more natural to you (I was the same way). It will take a fair bit of practice but learning counter clockwise will eventually come with enough skooling.

Note that it is important to learn both ways as pixie and fairy sets differ in direction (an atw while the bag is rising). It is likely that you will learn pixie first like I did, seeing as that clockwise flick comes more natural.

So no, its not bad to be better at one way, but try to get the other direction down as well. And on both sides of course.

David Clavens
david

Weretaco
Circle Kicker

Post by Weretaco » 24 Jul 2008 17:51

Yea I'm definitely going to work on getting it with both legs in both directions. I don't really have a preference when it comes to clockwise or counter I just chose one because I had to so teaching myself to do it the other way shouldn't be too hard.
Kevin K.

Benjaminzors
Hack Fiend

Post by Benjaminzors » 30 Jul 2008 12:19

I felt this was probably a bit odd but I'll throw it out there:

When I started learning ATW I managed counter-clockwise (out-in) with my right foot. When I moved on to learning it flipside... for some reason I naturally kept the counter-clockwise rotation even though it was fudamentally different (in-out).

Luckly I've got both sides/both ways down now. Don't fret about what you manage to do first, whatever's natural is best I suppose, or I'm just really strange.

Jordan
Wu-Tang

Post by Jordan » 05 Aug 2008 01:40

i do my ATWs natuarally (in-out) too...

:wink:

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 26 Aug 2008 06:01

Jordan wrote:i never get mad. lol. when i mess up, i usually just try harder until i get it :D

I say get mad. yell, scream be loud. then that will be used to hit the trick
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

italianfootbager
Circle Kicker

Post by italianfootbager » 19 Oct 2008 09:47

i have a little problem
i can infact dex my leg around the sack but i can t catch it on a toe stall.
any advice or tips ty
lorenzo
Tu quoque, Brute, fili mi!

Sergey
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Sergey » 23 Oct 2008 05:00

italianfootbager wrote:i have a little problem
i can infact dex my leg around the sack but i can t catch it on a toe stall.
any advice or tips ty
Consecutive toe stalls is the only thing that comes to my mind.

Could you make a video and upload it to youtube?
Sergey Pikalov

italianfootbager
Circle Kicker

fixed my prob

Post by italianfootbager » 23 Oct 2008 05:18

hi now i can do atw with stall and even consecutive.
it just took practice practice.
now im doing legover on right and left.
bye bye bye
ciao
W ITALIA
lorenzo
Tu quoque, Brute, fili mi!

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 23 Oct 2008 06:55

It's funny how at first it feels impossible to be quick enough to get your foot under the bag in time, and then you hit it once, and then you don't understand how you ever had problems with it :)
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

jpaige
Shredalicious

Post by jpaige » 24 Dec 2008 21:46

when doing atw's where do you guys spot the bag on the inside of the leg or outside? I feel like inside is more appropriate but i guess im not sure how exactly to move the leg/knee to be in the right position so that I can still see the bag clearly
Jon Paige

Blue_turnip
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Blue_turnip » 30 Dec 2008 04:35

Lol I just saw this thread and noticed how the OP included the JOBS notation for ATW, hahaha.
Oliver Adams

dotmpeg
Circle Kicker

Around/Orbit

Post by dotmpeg » 27 Mar 2012 18:51

In freestyle football this trick is very easy for me, but in freestyle footbag it is harder since you circle differently. My toe stalls (both) are essentially mastered (in a beginner's way; they are consistent and can do 20+ toe-to-toe), but I don't if I should be doing the trick in one movement (like f. football atw) or flicking, circling, catching.

Merged with "Around the World" thread, which I've renamed to include Descriptive System terms, Around and Orbit. Please follow Trick Tips sub-forum protocol and check the Master List trick index before posting a new topic. -Erik (not a mod)

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 28 Mar 2012 03:17

I could also sorta do it with a football when I started and I had a hard time getting it down. The key for me was when I realized the movement is super slow. Watch videos of others and try to emulate their form again and again.