technique: planting on ducks

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

technique: planting on ducks

Post by Jeremy » 05 Oct 2004 00:13

Hey just a quick question - on moves like ducking pdx mirage/whirl/drifter/torque - should I plant or not.

Almost all the ducking and diving stuff I do requires a plant anyway so I'm a little unsure.

I find ducking pdx drifter on one side really hard without a plant and really hard with a plant on the other.

While I think it's pretty clear that without a plant is the best way to do most moves - is there a noticable difference in diffilculty with and without a plant?

Also any tips would be appreciated!

max
Australofrenchbrityorkus

Post by max » 05 Oct 2004 00:20

I'll agree that pdx moves should be done without a plant, AND look a lot more fluid when done that way, but I disagree when a duck is involved. To take an easy exmaple: ducking butterfly. I've tried different ways of hitting this move, and when done without a plant (like and infinity) I just don't like the way it looks, you'll be on one leg during and after your duck "waiting" for the bag to come down... I prefer the two-feet-on-the-ground Eric Wulf type ducks.

But that's just personnal preference. What I said above re ducking butterfly applies for vertigo, tomahawk, duck/diving pdx mirage etc...

I'll admit I do like Lon's zulu osis' with no plants though :)
Maxime Boucoiran
French ConneXion
BFC

shreddaily
Flower Child

Post by shreddaily » 05 Oct 2004 09:31

Not planting on ducks is totaly hip.
Its not only unquestionably harder, it looks cooler too.
no planting on zulu is choice!

Shredster
Flower Child

Post by Shredster » 05 Oct 2004 11:10

Yeah, no planting is way cooler. Though, i plant with a ducking paradox, but i'm sure that eventually i'll eliminate it.

I still think planting on a paradox decreases the difficulty, and ducking beforehand gives you no excuse to plant :p

Just my thoughts...
Chris May
Paradox=((5N^x^p)-54000aph^np)/adds
Its just about that confusing...

Krafty
Fearless

Post by Krafty » 05 Oct 2004 13:17

I try to do them both ways, so I'm cool with either one. It would be cool if you hit both of them in a single combo though! It'll make people look closer at you trying to figure out what you did different! :D
Kaushik Amancherla

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 05 Oct 2004 22:21

thanks - I was more interested in knowing if it was easier with a plant or not - especially moves like vertigo and spanishfly. I'd like to know what most people do for those moves.

Thanks

max
Australofrenchbrityorkus

Post by max » 06 Oct 2004 00:18

Not planting on ducks is totaly hip.
yes I saw some of your ducking runs at Worlds and they did look pretty cool indeed!

Its not only unquestionably harder,
that's true
it looks cooler too.
most of the time, I don't think they do. when you're doing a ducking pdx dexing move without planting, you'll be doing a "duck your head DOWN, bring your foot/leg UP".. it can look pretty ridiculous.
Maxime Boucoiran
French ConneXion
BFC

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Post by Anz » 06 Oct 2004 01:24

In Tomahawk or Ducking Pdx Torque planting takes away the pdx-feeling but I prefer doing them with planting.

Spanishfly is easier with plant. It keeps you balanced and allows you turn your body if the set is not perfect, but the dexing may feel a bit harder.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 06 Oct 2004 16:33

yeah I think I always plant on spanish fly.

What about vertigo (ducking pdx drifter) - do most people do it with or without a plant? With a plant seems much much easier since otherwise you stay on one foot the whole time but since I do my ducking pdx mirages and pdx drifters without a plant - I tend to always try this move without a plant.

Shredster
Flower Child

Post by Shredster » 06 Oct 2004 17:31

Jeremy wrote:yeah I think I always plant on spanish fly.

What about vertigo (ducking pdx drifter) - do most people do it with or without a plant? With a plant seems much much easier since otherwise you stay on one foot the whole time but since I do my ducking pdx mirages and pdx drifters without a plant - I tend to always try this move without a plant.
Spanishfly isn't paradox though...
Chris May

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 06 Oct 2004 17:39

really? Damn! Does that mean blurriest isn't a 6 add? Shit I'll have to try a different beast then. :P

Actually I was never talking about ducking pdx moves - just ducking moves to a dex.

And I don't care about "taking away the pdx feeling" - When I do pdx moves I do a little sideways hop on the set like Vasek does so by the time I start the dex I've moved across the bag so it doesn't feel pdx anyway. I just want to be able to consistantly hit hard ducking moves.

Shredster
Flower Child

Post by Shredster » 06 Oct 2004 18:13

O holy crap jeremy...i totally did not interpret that subject correctly...i guess i just assumed duck into paradox

I'm sorry :oops: :oops:
Chris May

shreddaily
Flower Child

Post by shreddaily » 11 Oct 2004 22:50

From all the video footage and my tournament attendance I've seen no no-plant ducking genuins....wait, greg nelson hit ducking no-plant p torque, and I gave him a huge high five and props. If only for the reason to be one of the only shredders out there pulling it off you should go for these moves. No plant zulu tomahwk b2b would be sweeeeet

Pirrotta
Shredalicious

Post by Pirrotta » 13 Jan 2011 13:23

I was wondering about planting on far (Paradox) moves in general. I'm finding that when i plant on Far mirage, Illusion, Switch etc its much easier and consistent for me. Will planting on these moves hurt my game in the long run, Or is this just a style preference?
Antonio Pirrotta

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 14 Jan 2011 07:15

I think you'll eventually run into moves where planting slows you down too much, like Barflies or Far Mixers, so you should learn to keep your leg in the air.

Once you figure out your balance and how to hop on your setting foot it's quite easy, and feels really natural.
Matt Kemmer

Pirrotta
Shredalicious

Post by Pirrotta » 14 Jan 2011 20:41

Alright thanks for the advice man. I realized shortly after that i have only learned my clippers with 2 steps and not 1, Which is probably why i'm finding far moves and infinity's so hard.

(Rushes off and resumes drilling)
Antonio Pirrotta