Stepping/Blurry

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 23 Feb 2006 08:17

tuomoruutufan
BSOS Beast

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:25 pm Post subject: Stepping seems to be extra difficult difficult for me Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I have read up on all the tips and i seem to not be able to do stepping sets that arnt pulled or dont go higher than my knee

anybody who really struggled learning how to do this that has some imput besides practice more would be apreciated

I been getting very aggraveted cause i practice the trick with very little results Mad
As a teen Chuck Norris impregnated every nun in a convent tucked away in the hills of Tuscany. Nine months later the nuns gave birth to the 1972 Miami Dolphins, the only undefeated and untied team in professional football history.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
slapdash21
Futureless

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:37 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
im guessing you have heard this before, but the most effective tip i got was to do more of a turning motion than anything else. like if it helps, turn your entire body at the hip, to start, and lift your knee as you twist.
Krafty
Fearless

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:39 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Krafty wrote:
...this is the link that Kaos gave me a while back when I posted for help with stepping and atomic sets:

http://list.footbag.org/majordomo/lette ... ite.com%3E

I also want to say that if you lift your knees higher during the stepping set, everything becomes a lot easier, at least for me! Good luck! Very Happy

Good luck! This link might help you out too:

http://hood.012webpages.com/TV%20Room/sets.html

Let us know how it works out for ya! Smile
hackeysnacker
BSOS Beast

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
it takes LOTS and LOTS of practice, if u don't bounce into ur clipper > ss clipper then stepping is going to be even harder for you to get the hang of. Every time i burn out practicing stepping I find it helps to do a couple sets of 25 squats w/ a 20 lbs weight in each hand at the end of my sesh. The next day (or whenever the legs heal) it seems to be MUCH easier to step... as far as form goes, study some videos.

stepping takes a lot of energy at first, so practice it while you're warmed up but still pretty fresh

aim the bag at the back of your knee, that way you don't end up pulling the bag across your body
lift and plant your stepping leg as quickly as possible
don't lift your stepping leg too high
keep your clipper close to your support leg
your stepping foot should [ideally] land in the same place that it pushed from
when you get angry, go with it (this is key now!)

I know i'm not great at stepping myself, but this is the advice others have given me and it definitly works Smile with lots of practice

good luck man Smile
CIC flurry
Fearless

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:04 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
moving the leg to the side is key. you're setting too high maybe if it keeps hitting your leg. if you move ur leg up and to the side fast enough than u can't set too high really (you'll still clear it). I gotta look at ur set next time we kick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Not-so-ripped Warrior
Multidex Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:19 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I think the most important thing is do do a really deep clipper delay before you set it. Like the clipper should be really close to the ground. That'll give you more time to clear the dex. Also don't get frustrated and try to set it before you have a solid controlled clipper delay.

Words of Wisdom from Rockey:
"hittin' ripped warrior bsos: that's a paddlin';
hittin' stepping diving whirl: that's a paddlin;
hittin' montage: you better believe that's a paddlin'"
tuomoruutufan
BSOS Beast

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:34 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Sometimes i will try and do a very deep delay but then i struggle getting any set hieght

Its either a very low set like knee high, or it just hits my leg.

Im practicing it alot and im just not seeing any change in this. Im sure with more time it will click, not every trick comes easy (like me and my whirls Very Happy )
As a teen Chuck Norris impregnated every nun in a convent tucked away in the hills of Tuscany. Nine months later the nuns gave birth to the 1972 Miami Dolphins, the only undefeated and untied team in professional football history.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
max
Australofrenchbrityorkus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:04 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Quote:
I think the most important thing is do do a really deep clipper delay before you set it. Like the clipper should be really close to the ground. That'll give you more time to clear the dex.

seconded. This is in my opinion the most useful tip for steppin sets. It's pretty logical, the lower your clipper foot is, the more space you have to clear the dex.
Secondly, if you fond the bag is hitting your dexing leg too often, then you're starting the dex too late. the set and dex, have to be started at *nearly* the same time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
acxel22
Fearless

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:15 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I have the same problem on flipside, I just dont lift the knee enough, I want to but it's like my knee won't lift!
It's frustrating when 2 people around you keep telling you every try : "LIFT YOUR KNEE" but that's just because you are not used to it.. I guess keep schooling,
What I do and did to learn step on one side was to start by trying in slow-motion with no bag, thinking how to move, how to place my legs, how to plant and dex.. maybe this is a good idea to learn how to move your body correctly at first
Senor Grommet
Post Master General

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:09 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
What Im about to say might not make sense to you yet, but it may in the future:

For a strong step, I feel that your weight needs to be centered over the leg that youre dexing with, yet at the same time, you must be light on your feet. The feeling of being light on my feet is key becaue one leg cannot quickly lift ones entire body weight. Thus maybe you have to do a quick plant foot change? Not sure on that one. I do know that you must have a faily good stall of the bag to set the bag the way you desire. One thing that might REALLY help you (initially) is slanting your clipper foot in a way to prevent roll-off. For example, if doing a clipper stall with your left foot, tilt the sole of your left foot toward the left side of your body during your stall (i.e., raise the instep relative to your ankle). This results in a set that travels crossbody instead of straight up. Also, it is true that for a stepping paradox set, it is SUPER helpful to turn toward the clipper side to help clear the dex. For a steping set, that advice is still helpful.
From Shredder to Master Stitcher to Sensei, Senor Grommet does it all . . . while maintaining his super-sized ego. Many have asked Grommet, "How DO you do it?" Truthfully, I answer, "I don't know. I guess I'm just really talented."
tuomoruutufan
BSOS Beast

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:34 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Thanks for the tips guys as soon as my hip flexor stops hurting like a bitch im gonna shy away from all setting tricks.

I dont want to get one side dominate on my sets. I <3 BSOS
Dat
Fearless

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:02 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
From watching you play I think your style of clippers makes it harder to step. Try to do them a bit more upright and try to use your quad muscles more to ease yourself into and out of clippers. If you can get your hands on a camera definitely try filming yourself and compare your clippers to others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hackeysnacker
BSOS Beast

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:12 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
stepping is way easier if u keep on ur toes when u play, which will ensure u bounce into ur clippers, what u bounce into, u can bounce out of... this'll give u momentum to step
tuomoruutufan
BSOS Beast

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:37 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Dat wrote:
From watching you play I think your style of clippers makes it harder to step. Try to do them a bit more upright and try to use your quad muscles more to ease yourself into and out of clippers. If you can get your hands on a camera definitely try filming yourself and compare your clippers to others.

good advice dat, i been getting more and more upright and less hunched the more i practice but i think i loose that mentality when i try stepping, im not gonna rush into it, i need to master my flip clip stuff so that when i learn stepping i can do it both sides!!! flip butterfly has been a tad elusive, which is a sign that im not done schooling my flip clipper.

i can aquire a camera and plan on making a video for reasons of fun and study (like you suggested)

Thanks for the tips guys im gonna cool off of the stepping for a while and get that pesky flip clipper tricks to be as good as my strongside. and then master stepping BSOS style Very Happy

xXLoss_of_ControlXx
Egyptian Footgod

Post by xXLoss_of_ControlXx » 17 Apr 2006 18:01

is there a difference between stepping and blurry?
Freddy Noinaj of the CIC?

"Sweet" Simon

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 17 Apr 2006 18:40

Stepping generally refers to sameside or a move that does not end in a paradox move component.
Example: sidewalk is a stepping sameside butterfly

Blurry implies paradox, but it has been bastardized to also generalize all moves on which side of the body the element after the initial stepping set is performed. (I, and a lot of other people, use blurry in this manner.)
Examples: blurry whirl is a stepping paradox whirl (therefore blurry, though it's still a stepping set -- confusing, yes?). Another example is blurry drifter, which is a stepping paradox drifter, YET the stall ends on the sameside; in this case it is clear that it is the paradox that determines that it is a blurry move.

An example that can share stepping and blurry, utilizing the bastardized meaning of the term, is ripwalk. Ripwalk is a stepping opposite butterfly (generally if we don't specify a side, we assume opposite side, however in the case of stepping, because of the bastardization of the term blurry, stepping generally automatically assumes sameside, and we must speicify otherwise if we are to be clear). Technically it's not a blurry move since it contains no paradox component, however, with the new meaning of blurry applied, it can also be referred to as blurry butterfly.

It's kind of complicated and doesn't really matter. You can say stepping sameside or stepping oppposite side, and you can say blurry sameside and blurry opposite side; it's not a big deal and people will know what you're trying to say. It's just a terminological difference.

warri0r
Hack Fiend

Stepping!

Post by warri0r » 19 Jun 2006 11:02

I im trying to hit it,but still i can't!Before i kick the footbag i'm jumping with the other leg but without succed!HELP ME!
Stanislav Kertikov

freestyler4life
BSOS Beast

Post by freestyler4life » 19 Jun 2006 11:12

dude, did you try using the searching, I'm sure there is already topics on stepping in trick tips

warri0r
Hack Fiend

Post by warri0r » 19 Jun 2006 11:18

:oops: i'll try
Stanislav Kertikov

james_dean
space cowboy

Post by james_dean » 19 Jun 2006 16:16

http://www.modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=12155

There is a master list of all trick tip threads. Stepping is in there. For future reference it is the first thread in this subforum labelled 'IMPORTANT RULES READ BEFORE POSTING'

"It's a punk one!" - Auntie Val, after being shown a spikey footbag

Bloggy

Challenge

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 01 Jul 2006 21:47

EDIT: Well, no one gave me more tips before actually figuring it out on my own, so I'll post my tip. There are a ton of tips in this thread already, but a tip I got from a friend was do a clipper stall, but hold it. Then bend your support leg and lower your clipper slightly. As soon as you do that, move that clipper foot back up and move the support leg to the outside at the same time.

Also, don't be afraid to pull it through at first. Obviously this isn't clean, it's 'slurry', but it'll at least help you understand the concept of the move and help you get the motion down. This is set is easy to un-slurry once you got it down in my opinion.
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller

Benzilla
The Professional

Stepping Set

Post by Benzilla » 01 Apr 2008 11:03

Anyone have any tips at all for stepping sets? Im just starting out to learn them, have not hit them at all yet. I've tried, its pretty funny feeling.. Should the set and dex happen at the same time? should i pull my clipper set inwards a bit to make the dex easier? etc..

Anything is greatly appreciated. :D

[Mod edit: Please check the "TRICK TIPS MASTER LIST" before starting a new post. There is already a thread for this set. Merged. -Erik]

Benzilla
The Professional

Post by Benzilla » 01 Apr 2008 13:41

woops, my bad,. i did try the search button, it gave me 7 pages of results and i checked everyone of them.. :oops:

Psilocybe
Fearless

Post by Psilocybe » 05 Apr 2008 17:33

To re-iterate shredzilla, really crank your ankle and try to "hold" the bag but just for a split second. While holding the bag bring the foot down a little to get ready for a straight high set. Start bringing your dexing leg over as you set, plant your setting foot, then plant the dexing leg. Your leg should miss the bag by 2 inches or less. The margin of error is so small.

I've been stepping for like 1.5 years now and they still aren't consistant. Is that normal?

midnightmetallic32
Hack Fiend

WHOA

Post by midnightmetallic32 » 04 Oct 2008 15:55

FOur YEars 8O

beckermj
Circle Kicker

Stepping

Post by beckermj » 09 Dec 2011 17:58

Anyone have some practice tips to learn stepping? When I try, it seems like the bag is already too high for me to get my knee up and over it

If you have a question again about a trick or set, before starting a new thread, please consult the master list and see if it's already got its own. The master list is in all capital letters at the top of this sub forum stating, "PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING". Thread merged. -Erik (not a mod)

jaust
Multidex Master

Post by jaust » 10 Dec 2011 06:52

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 10 Dec 2011 14:20

If you have a question again about a trick or set, before starting a new thread, please consult the master list and see if it's already got its own. The master list is in all capital letters at the top of this sub forum stating, "PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING".

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Re: Stepping

Post by Jeremy » 11 Dec 2011 12:17

beckermj wrote:Anyone have some practice tips to learn stepping? When I try, it seems like the bag is already too high for me to get my knee up and over it

It sounds to me like you almost answer your question yourself. I find in footbag that it's sometimes helpful to think of each leg as independent - doing its own thing, and the skill is to coordinate these individual movements together. The setting foot for stepping is mainly just doing a clipper stall and then setting the footbag up in the air. There isn't much that can change about this. So if you're setting "too high" and you can't get the dexing foot over the bag, it's obviously the dexing leg that needs to change. Clearly that change needs to be that the attempted dexing occurs earlier in the move.

I've been trying (successfully) to teach Lotus stepping lately, and I think the key thing that many people learning stepping do wrong is that they do the two movements separately - step>dex. Actually if you watch videos of any footbagger doing stepping sets those two actions are in unison, and they always have both legs off the ground as the dex starts.

It's almost like you should start hopping off the support/dex leg before the bag has left the setting foot. Certainly at the same time as the bag is rising from that foot, your dexing leg should be rising in the air (and so both feet should be in the air). Unlike with a downtime mirage, where your feet should be moving in counter directions (as one starts to rise the other should start to fall, so the total height of both feet from the ground stays about the same), both feet should rise together before one (the setting foot) should start going down while the dexing foot keeps going up.

It's important to keep in mind that you still want to be setting the bag straight up, and you definitely want to dex the bag after it leaves the foot. Youtube is full of examples of slurry stepping sets where the dexing is *too* early and the set pulled across. Don't do this.

Hopefully this solves your problem, but if I've explained this badly, feel free to ask more questions.

The other important tips for stepping is to try to set the bag while moving the setting foot as little as possible - so a sharp fast pop, with not too much vertical rising, and then to plant that foot as quickly as possible. Ideally you should plant at the same point on the ground that you set from - so planting in a cross body position, if you like, but as you're planting your body is moving sideways towards the bag, so it ends up being planted straight down, and you've moved sideways so the bag has come up through the dex and is now between your legs.

Also try to keep your knees close together. A lot of people do the dex by pushing their knee out and opening up their legs, while their body stays in the same position. This either forces them to set the bag on an angle so they can do components on the other side, or it means the bag is not centred after the dex, and components on the other side are difficult. The dexing leg should basically go straight up, while your body moves sideways. The less horizontal distance between your knees, the easier components on either side will be. Pushing your knee out a little bit is ok, but just don't do it too much.

Finally, beware of having a stepping set where both feet land on the ground together. This is usually slurry, as well as inefficient and, in my opinion, ugly. The rhythm for ripwalk should ideally be three in time steps - setting foot plants>dexing foot plants>second dexing foot plants. If the spacing between each plant is significantly unequal, that's something to work on.

You should find that if you get these things right, stepping is an easy and low energy component.

Ohios1
Multidex Master

stepping ss moves.

Post by Ohios1 » 07 Apr 2012 13:51

would like to knw the set height for these moves. if thers another post of these moves im sorry for not looking before.

stepping whirl
stepping paradon
sidewalk swirl

reason for the set height is cause i have a bad habbit of setting moves very low and hitting them which in return makes it harder to hit things out of them. thanks

Merged with Stepping thread --Erik (not a mod)
angeski

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 07 Apr 2012 15:32

I would say mid-thigh to waist height for all of those.
Stepping whirl would be about mid-thigh height, and ripcurl (stepping same butterfly swirl) is usually done higher, like at the waist. Although if your symple swirls rock your socks you could probably get away with something lower (but even Juho sets those high).

Blurrier (stepping same double down) could be a little lower maybe. I find for that one that a bit of a lower set allows you to start the dexes at the peak instead of waiting for it to come back down (which would make it more susceptible to the-ing).