Stepping/Blurry

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

Posi-Cole
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Stepping/Blurry

Post by Posi-Cole » 19 Jun 2004 08:29

I have a decent stepping set.... Nothing spectacular, but it's not that terrible either.

However, I find that 90 percent of the moves I hit out of stepping are always done out of a clipper. In fact, I have a bit of difficulty stepping when I do a butterfly, but can step relatively easily when it is just a clipper.

I'm just wondering why this is, as essentially they should be the same I would think. Should I simply school stepping from butterfly more? Or just learn better stepping general and then it will be easier from butterfly? Has anyone had this problem before?

Any help would be great.

[merged into stepping/blurry - Frank_]
Cole Hobson

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 19 Jun 2004 08:36

I think the difficulty is derived from the fact that with a stepping set starting from a clipper you have the advantage of the momentum being in your favour. The balls path makes more of a smooth U shape than when coming in from the other side of the leg as in a butterfly.

It's all momentum, the big thing Ive been finding is really trying to be in surefooted control of the bag before launching the step.
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

brian relly
fan-tas-tic

Post by brian relly » 19 Jun 2004 08:37

I tend to have the same problem, but I don't know why it is, either. I find that it usually only happens when I plan to hit a stepping move out of a butterfly, or when I really try to. If I've just pulled off a big move that I don't hit regularly, I just keep going without thinking about it too much. That's usually when I'll hit a butterfly to ripwalk, or schmoe, or something.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 19 Jun 2004 08:44

I tend to find that when I have trouble linking particular tricks, the problem is in the first move.

I would recommend drilling your butterflies and maybe holding the stall at the end (for a few seconds - only while practicing) - once your butterflies become more solid, you'll be able to do anything out of them.

ericksonj
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by ericksonj » 19 Jun 2004 09:42

I agree with Jeremy. To step out of a butterfly the same way you are able to step out of your clipper, you must remember to catch the butterfly the same way you catch your clipper. My guess is that you are holding the bag a lot less when you hit your butterfly, but that your clipper is really solid and you catch it a lot more without the dex. Just practice stepping out of butterflies, and focus on that small pause and dip right before the stepping set. Also try to hit as many butterflies in a row as you can while focusing on control.
Always Shreddin
James Erickson
Eugene Footbag Association (Orton, Nasty, Me)
w/ new additions (Casey, Alex, Eddie, and Shawnell)

Post by Guest » 19 Jun 2004 10:46

I think the best thing to do is probably to school your b-flies until they are as easy and stalled the same way as you would a clipper.

SlashC
Egyptian Footgod

Post by SlashC » 19 Jun 2004 11:04

hmmm... I'm just learning stepping sets right now and I find it much easier to do stepping sets out of butterflies... especially ss butterflies. When I try to do them just off of clippers it always gets stuck/hits the back of my knee. I think it's maybe because my clippers stick out too much.
Rory "Tophat" Dawson

---

"You can ask a stranger, my legs is fast and danger!"

Liam
Multidex Master

Post by Liam » 19 Jun 2004 15:07

I used to have this problem. I think this is usually because of the momentum of your dexing leg changing - ie going from a out dex to a short plant straight into an in dex. Best way to solve this is to change how your butterfly dex dexes. Instead of going around the bag, you shouldn't need to move it much, let the bag do most of the work - "fall" into the butterfly... I'm sure this tip would be better explained in some other butterfly thread. But anyway, that should make the momentum shift easier.
Other thing is where your clipper foot is in relation to your dexing leg before the step - the further away it is, the harder it is to step in time. This is obvious, but alot of the time a person's clipper foot will be further away from the support/dex leg in a butterfly than in a clipper, so watch how you're landing those buterflies.

Hope it helps.
Liam Johnston

Palmy rules still apply

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 20 Jun 2004 00:50

I think stepping out of butterfly is way easier to the, I'm watching you cole.
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

Shredxor
BSOS Beast

Post by Shredxor » 21 Jun 2004 19:23

I had the same problem and still do sometimes. But i did notice a slight improvement by after getting butterfly to stepping decently down that if you do larger tricks ending in butterfly it will also clean it up more and more. Like i had trouble with dimwalk>ripwalk and it was because i depended to much on momentum rather than leg speed on my dimwalk so i'd end up with my support leg bent the wrong way to step. So if you just do butterfly or anymoves you're having trouble getting into stepping and concentrate on using legspeed more than momentum it should help theoretically and it worked for me so i guess it might work.
Ricky Holton

kur7ler
Circle Kicker

Stepping/Blurry

Post by kur7ler » 06 Nov 2004 09:15

Stepping/Blurry
CLIP > OP IN [DEX] >>
http://hood.012webpages.com/_videos/Stepping.wmv

if someone could give me a couple of tips on stepping that would be great, thanks.

Senor Grommet
Post Master General

Post by Senor Grommet » 06 Nov 2004 09:27

tip 1: keep the clipper close to your support leg
tip 2: keep upper body slightly leaned over clipper for balance
tip 3: keep clipper ankle cranked
tip 4: jump HARD off of your planted leg, bringing your knee up and from in to out faster than the bag, the key being faster than the bag
tip 5: after your knee beats the bag up and out, bring that leg back down to the ground quickly

good luck
My name: Jeremy Mirken, AKA Chocolatey Shatner, AKA jerk enemy rim.

I kick it with trunk chef elf and liz luck key my.

Krafty
Fearless

Post by Krafty » 06 Nov 2004 10:44

Hey kur7ler, this is the link that Kaos gave me a while back when I posted for help with stepping and atomic sets:

http://list.footbag.org/majordomo/lette ... ite.com%3E

I also want to say that if you lift your knees higher during the stepping set, everything becomes a lot easier, at least for me! Good luck! :D
Kaushik Amancherla

kur7ler
Circle Kicker

Post by kur7ler » 06 Nov 2004 10:50

im going to have a little session after lunch today, i'l tell you how i did with the stepping. thx for the tips btw

kur7ler
Circle Kicker

Post by kur7ler » 06 Nov 2004 14:15

thanks for the advice, it really helped. i hit more ripwalks and even flip ripwalk. also stepping ss butterfly. setting higher and really pullng my leg up got into my mind and i got it. thx again :D

Krafty
Fearless

Post by Krafty » 06 Nov 2004 15:31

Nice job man! :D Glad the stuff helped!
Kaushik Amancherla

ebo
Unexplained Bacon

Post by ebo » 06 Nov 2004 18:14

Be sure that the setting leg is the first leg to touch the ground. If you plant
both legs simultaneously you won't have as much height for you stepping leg and your landing will be harder. For the step, quickly bend your leg upwards and outwards on your hip.

edit: fixed typo.
Last edited by ebo on 12 Nov 2004 09:58, edited 1 time in total.

RRendsvig
Multidex Master

Post by RRendsvig » 12 Nov 2004 09:12

Yep. I've re-schooled my steps lately and found that FIRST planting my setting foot MORE OR LESS WHILE dexing FOLLOW BY planting the dexing leg gives me the correct footwork for all the stepping moves I'm hitting.
Rasmus Rendsvig

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 23 Feb 2006 05:36

qlunch
Hack Fiend

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:43 pm Post subject: Stepping Set Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I'm getting pixie set tricks down, and it seems that stepping set should be the next set to tackle, i realize its been touched on in other posts but if someone could just run me through what they think about while excecuting and the motions i'd appreciate it. I just have no idea how to approach it. Thanks!

ps @Matt Cross - i've been hitting legit datw's!

"Facts are stupid things" - Ronald Reagan
NuR
Fearless

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
there is a similar thread on the second page of "trick tips" called
"stepping sets" .

Krafty posted a very helpful link there, check it out Smile

And good luck with stepping practice !
shred on !

- bavarian zen koan -

www.munich-footbag.de

Daryl Canady
Uranos
Egyptian Footgod

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:08 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Tips for stepping:

Keep clipper foot close to ground
Dance around the bag (Ales told me this)
Keep body position balanced and upright.
Jump off support leg.

Good luck!
http://www.modified.ca/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=11782
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
qlunch
Hack Fiend

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:31 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Whoops, guess i didn't see that thread Embarassed I checked it out and all this stuff is great, thanks a lot. I'll be hitting ripwalks before you know it, at least thats the plan Wink

HooD
HoodluM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:32 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Don't know if you've seen this before or not, but here it is. All the way at the bottom is stepping set tips, there is also a video of 3 different people doing stepping sets next to the tips, it includes slow-mo so you can study the movements. Hope this helps.

http://hood.012webpages.com/TV%20Room/sets.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
qlunch
Hack Fiend

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:09 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Thanks hood that was really helpful, there were sets on there ive never even heard of. Landed a zoid mirage.... and back to the stepping set, still working on that

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 23 Feb 2006 06:09

ted
Fearless

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:38 pm Post subject: Stepping sets Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Hey,
I want help with stepping sets. I have them well enough to hit most 5's and some 6's and sometimes alpine but I want clean, monster sets. Anyone with big, easy steps (Maraxus, Full Nelson, Hacksterbator, etc.; I am looking your way) have any tips?

Property is Robbery
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
FootbagGuru
BSOS Beast

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:59 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
for a good set, just get your leg over it as fast as you can, i've recently been doing some alpine stepping stuff, and i find that helps

Erik Chan
the gimp

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I think the key to clean stepping is to set the bag before thinking about the dex; this is what I do and I don't think I ever the stepping sets (except probably pogo). I've seen lots of the stepping ducking -- it's important to set the bag FIRST and then just dex ridiculously fast. Maybe think about setting the bag straight up, but at your side, and then once it's set, step into it, instead of thinking of setting the bag directly between your legs (more vulnerable to "pulling") -- does that make sense?
ICQ Number
Senor Grommet
Post Master General

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:23 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Im not amazing at them but here it goes:

things to keep in mind:

1) I believe the highest sets are generated by a clipper foot moving upwards with the greatest velocity, so . . . you need to practice the shear speed of your upward set.

2) To have the most control over your set, you need to achieve good enough ankle crank so that you are setting straight up rather than outwards in some direction or another. Attain as much crank as possible to isolate a straight set.

3) For high sets, clipper as close as you can to your support leg, rather than far away from it.

4) When you delay the bag, try to accentuate the 'stall' by going down with the bag before you go up with it. In other words, delay the bag on the way down more tha usual in order to maximize lift on the way up

5)Timing is key. I think that you can start the step to early or you lose height for the clipper set. Your step needs to occur after you start setting the bag, but of course not too late so that it hits your leg on the way up. Find the timing that works for you, but really work on clearing the bag with the crook of the knee.

6) Try these sets when you're fresh, not when you're tired.

Good luck!
From Shredder to Master Stitcher to Sensei, Senor Grommet does it all . . . while maintaining his super-sized ego. Many have asked Grommet, "How DO you do it?" Truthfully, I answer, "I don't know. I guess I'm just really talented."
habitat
Egyptian Footgod

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:00 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
wow great tips mirk, they all make total sense. I need to keep mine close to my leg and body