Atomic/Tapping

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

zachatree
Happy Hippy Hoffa

Atomic/Tapping

Post by zachatree » 04 Dec 2004 08:00

Atomic/Tapping
TOE > OP OUT [DEX] >>
http://hood.012webpages.com/_videos/Atomic.wmv

ok i got them pretty nice but for some resion my hip hurts so much from doing the twist of my hips, its only on the side of what ever leg dexs. any one know why it would be doing this?

and dose any one have any tips? tapping

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 04 Dec 2004 08:51

If you're working on tapping and you're having hip pains perhaps you're thrusting wrong. Or is it because she is on top?

get it?? like.. tapping a girl... like.. awwww never mind
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

HooD
HoodluM

Post by HooD » 04 Dec 2004 09:09

Tapping, if you're talking about atomic sets, can either dex closer to the hip (hippy), or dexing closer to the ankle (leggy). The hippy approach takes all of the movement and puts it through your hip, so if you're becoming somewhat sore, it's because your hip is being put through a lot of motion quickly. Like Mosher said, you may be thrusting wrong, so try different pivoting methods to dex the bag. Also that side of your hip may possibly be weaker for reasons unknown, so it may get sore more easily. Don't overwork your atomic sets to where you're really sore, but keep working on them so your technique gets better over time. It'll all get easier over time.
More C4 please <3

Senor Grommet
Post Master General

Post by Senor Grommet » 04 Dec 2004 13:13

one piece of adivice i was never told about tapping/atomic is that it really just helps to stretch the muscles around your hips. Stretching those muscles allows for a greater range of motion of yout upper leg towards the midline of your body. It might also relieve some of the discomfort you are feeling. I have never really fdelt hip pain however so this is my only suggestion. Oh wait, oine more thing, before you skool them in any session, make sure you do the motion w/o the bag at least 15-20 times starting slowly in order to warm up your legs and hips for the motion. It is quite strenuous at first.
good luck.
My name: Jeremy Mirken, AKA Chocolatey Shatner, AKA jerk enemy rim.

I kick it with trunk chef elf and liz luck key my.

zachatree
Happy Hippy Hoffa

Post by zachatree » 04 Dec 2004 15:56

dont know how clean it was but i hit tapping butterfly :)

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 05 Dec 2004 03:45

Rather than twisting your hips - try facing the same direction for the whole move - but moving sideways across the bag and back. This feels much easier I find and probably looks better to.

qphox
Bullshit Detector

Post by qphox » 05 Dec 2004 04:58

A good stretch for your hips, and one that I am doing to help relieve my tendonitis, works like so:

- Lie on your back on the floor.
- Bring your knee up to your chest.
- Using the arm opposite your leg, pull your leg towards your opposite shoulder. As in, across your body.

If you leg is anything like mine, that'll probably hurt a bit...but it's definitely worth it. Also, ice ice ice. :)
- Kevin R.

F = G*((m1*m2)/r^2)

Know thy enemy.

peanutbuterboy
Fearless

Post by peanutbuterboy » 05 Dec 2004 12:11

mosher wrote: get it?? like.. tapping a girl... like.. awwww never mind
I always appreciate your funny coments :lol:
Luke Andrews

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 23 Feb 2006 07:19

Blackend
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:55 am Post subject: Legbeater/tap down help Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
My atomic sets have been coming along pretty good lately and I've started to try legbeater and tap down, but they just aren't coming. Any advice?

"Son, a woman is like a beer. They smell good, they look good, you'd step over your own mother just to get one!" - Homer Simpson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jon
Foosebag God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:19 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Once the atomic set gets easy both these tricks will be easy (Assuming you can butterfly). If you are having trouble with these tricks I would say focus on having a nice controlled set with as little excess movement on the atomic as possible. Once you can atomic well, ie with little excess movement on the dex and the bag rises to a good level, all that is required is to fall into either the ss or opside butter. good luck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
NuR
Fearless

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:14 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
http://list.footbag.org/majordomo/lette ... ite.com%3E

There is some good advice in there, by Yacine the fiend, and he gives
tips about ATOMIC and STEPPING, which are very useful, at least 2 me.

- bavarian zen koan -

www.munich-footbag.de

Daryl Canady

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 23 Feb 2006 08:35

ObArA'BaRs
Circle Kicker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:29 pm Post subject: Atomic set problems Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I've just begun to atomic set and im having difficulty doing it. I was wondering if you guys could share your footbag skill with me and give me some pointers on what to do.

Keep footbag'n till yo skins saggin
SandWraith
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:37 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
PLEASE try using the search function. It took me about two minutes to find two topics identical to this.
hackeysnacker
BSOS Beast

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:56 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
dex w/ ur knee not ur calf
practice
Senor Grommet
Post Master General

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:33 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
when you dex, lead with your knee pointed in. At first try to set the bag low, just clearing the dex wth your leg at the pit of your knee. Dont set the bag up too high, rather jump off the dexing leg to create bag lift off of your foot. Be careful, this set can wrench the back up fairly bad, that and the ass muscles.
From Shredder to Master Stitcher to Sensei, Senor Grommet does it all . . . while maintaining his super-sized ego. Many have asked Grommet, "How DO you do it?" Truthfully, I answer, "I don't know. I guess I'm just really talented."
Slowsis
Fearless

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada (the land of beer and hockey)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:01 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Not to mention, this is one of the most common tricks to result in you kneeing yourself in the face!!!! Laughing
slapdash21
Futureless

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:17 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
set with your legs close together. try to bring the dexing foot back to where it left from so you can play out of it easily...i say this because its really hard to do when you first start trying atomics...your dexing leg often winds up too far over, putting you off-balance. but as the motion becomes more efficient and smaller, you will be able to play out if it far easier.
freestyler4life
Shredalicious

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:25 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
i have hit myself way to much trying atomic,.... i cant get the direct link to work, but go to Hoodshouse.com scroll down and find uptime sets,... atomic is right there
Jeremy
Iraq Disarmed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:23 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I find atomic sets are very hippy. If you watch a video of me hitting an atom smasher and pause it just as the first dex is being completed you'll see that my feet are facing maybe a 45 degree angle from front on - but you'll also notice as I bring my dexing foot down I straighten up so that by the time the dex foot plants I'm front on again. Also the tip Lynton gave me (and he's pretty good at atomics Wink ) is to start the dex as early as possible - probably even symposium style (ie. the dexing foot lifts off the ground before the bag leaves your foot.).

"you're signature really irks me. It only proves the self-righteousness that I know has always existed in you." - Dan Feary
ObArA'BaRs
Circle Kicker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:01 pm Post subject: thanks Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
thanks my sets are getting better but they still go off to the side. Do i point my toes down.

Keep footbag'n till yo skins saggin
NuR
Fearless

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:15 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
check this link ,

http://list.footbag.org/majordomo/lette ... ite.com%3E
and browse the trick tip section a bit more Wink .

- bavarian zen koan -

www.munich-footbag.de

Daryl Canady

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 08 May 2006 19:00

Any more general tips for this move? Other than the hip stretches, like how one should set the bag, what type of springing motion from which foot. I guess just a basic description of how an atomic set is to be executed. Thanks!
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 09 May 2006 16:11

set with your legs close together, switch feet instantly, dex the bag under your knee by turning your knee in and up to clear the bag. start by not trying to set it too high...you will gain and understanding of the timing and your sets will slowly become more poweful as you practice. tap (atomic same mirage) is a great first atomic move.
Pete Bowler
B$C
keeps it offah da ground.

617 FOR LIFE

King Monkey
Post Master General

Post by King Monkey » 19 May 2006 08:00

Make sure you set very straight and i guess around 15cm from your body? Not too far in front basically. Curl the toe of your setting foot upwards to achieve this straight set.

Make sure you are dexing by moving your hips and thigh, not by trying to shank your leg around the bag using your knee. This is bad form, bad for your knees, and you may even hear cracking noises and shit - NOT GOOD.

If you are using Tap as your first Atomic move to practice, be concious of setting nice and high and doing a nicely formed Tap... its an easy move to just set like waist high or less and barely hit... if you want your Atomic practice to be good, work on hitting high, fast and straight sets, even on Tap.
Ian Pritchard - http://www.ausfootbag.org

'People, just play Footbag and stop being dickheads!' - Michał Biarda

MathieuGM
Fearless

The footwork of Atomic set.

Post by MathieuGM » 12 Aug 2013 08:37

Hey guys.
Her is a discussion i had with Nick Polini 2 years ago about Atomic set. He was expericing some muscle pain due to that set, because he was not doing the good footwork. I found that the best way to explin it is basically to use athletism video. Obviously, that doesn'T include setting the bag, the way you move your hip/knee to dex. But for the footwork, it super clear...
I'll just copy past what we said.

Mathieu Giard-Montpetit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-8aoQsm ... re=related
I'll try to find a better one
but it's a motion loike that
the guy swtich feet, but doesn't jump at all
and doesn't seem to put much energy into it
obivously knee gotta go higher for atomic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOV7Ccoo ... ure=relmfu
this is what you DONT wanna do
and what most ppl do..
You don't want to JUMP to bring your knee high
you want to switch feet likke on the 1st video
allright
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTSOrqg- ... re=related
this one
is what you want to do
You can see the knee of the guy get really high. But his hips/chest isn't going upward.
and it seems super effortless
This is how atomic should be done
He isn't jumping, he is bringing his knee high... Look how it doesn't seems to be stresful for any muscle
Looks better now ?!?
the 2 last video give you a perfect exemple of what you want and don't want to do.

23:10
Nick Polini
Holy shit.
I get it
I cannot believe you just taught me atomics by showing me videos of people running hahahaha

Hope this help few people.

Merged with atomic/tapping thread -Erik (not a mod)

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Re: The footwork of Atomic set.

Post by Anz » 12 Aug 2013 09:22

That pretty much applies to all sets.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Re: Atomic/Tapping

Post by Jeremy » 12 Aug 2013 20:22

Except the really crazy ones :P (like warped).