breathing

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

Colin
Flower Child

breathing

Post by Colin » 10 Dec 2004 06:22

Hey, this isn't really asking for any specific advice or anything, but how much attention do you guiltless (tripless?) players pay to your breathing? The bread and butter of my drilling regimine is mirage > legover > rpt, and I've found over the past couple of sessions that when I exhale with each contact my consistancy goes through the roof. I'm getting ten+ contacts every second time now.

I also hit more than ten consecutive flipside clippers with the same method, and over 20 consecutive strong side clippers.

Anyone else exhale with each contact? You should give it a try.
Colin Kennedy
ckennedy@footbag.org

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 10 Dec 2004 18:05

I have no idea at all how I breathe when I'm playing. Good question!!

For running - if you are sprinting I think you are supposed to hold your breath - at least for 100m and probably 200m - not sure about 400m.

For middle distance I tend to exhale every 4 steps I think. It's definitly best to control your breathing and to not over breathe.

I think breathing every contact is too much but I don't really know.

AIvanyo
BSOS Beast

Post by AIvanyo » 11 Dec 2004 13:11

I also have no idea. I guess breathing is just a natural thing so you really can't control it unless you want to and pay enough attention to it. Sometimes you can hear people breathing, like right before they try a big trick you can hear them holding it in then let it out when they hit it. Or if they're in the zone while shredding you can hear them exhaling every time they hit a trick or something.
Andrew Ivanyo

Representing The Ministry of Silly Walks

Jas
Shredaholic

Post by Jas » 11 Dec 2004 13:56

lol jeremy wot r u talkin about? Ur not supposed to hold ur breathe when ur running, its the total opposite. if u hold ur breathe, ull bloody faint before u cross the finish line. When ur sprinting, ud take short powerful breathes to get off the start line and breathe quietly once ur in cruise mode.
Breathing really depends on wot ur doing, if ur doing simple and flowing tiltless moves, breathing becomes smoother and more rythmetic. But if ur about to hit a hard 5>5>5 or wotever, u would hold ur breath for those 3 moves because breathing would put u off balance AND breathing is not needed for atleast 5-10seconds of explosive body movement as using 95%-100% of explosive energy only lasts for about 10secs. I learnt about this from learning about body energy systems in sportscience.

Cheers
Jas
Jason Po

Virppa
Shredaholic

Post by Virppa » 11 Dec 2004 14:40

Yeah, you should definetly breath when you are sprinting. :lol:
What comes in long distances you should take air trough your nose and exhile trough mouth. This way you use more of you lugns and you exhile CO2 more faster out. Maybe you could use this while shredding, haven´t tried yet. Surely it needs time to get used to this "technique".
Antti Virolainen

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 11 Dec 2004 17:07

Ok fair call - the sprint training I've done as usually been for touch football where most of the time the most you are sprinting is like 15 meters - so I just assumed that it would be the same for 100 :oops:

KronoKicker
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by KronoKicker » 11 Dec 2004 17:47

one of the fastest 400m runners for USA, Micheal Johnson, umm he held his breath the whole race!

while i shreding i defintely try to breath consistantly, although i catch myself holding my breath for harder strings and such. its definitely better to have a good breathing rhythm.
Aric McIntosh

peanutbuterboy
Fearless

Post by peanutbuterboy » 17 Dec 2004 16:02

KronoKicker wrote:one of the fastest 400m runners for USA, Micheal Johnson, umm he held his breath the whole race!
I never notice my self breath :oops:
I think I hold my breath the whole time like Micheal Johnson. O well...
Luke Andrews

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 17 Dec 2004 16:12

I try to breath in and out while I shred.

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Post by hacksterbator » 17 Dec 2004 18:58

i hold my breath while doing atomics. and i can't seem to do anythign about it. it nearly kills me when i try and do consecutives.
A.G.

comastalker
BSOS Beast

Post by comastalker » 19 Dec 2004 02:58

hacksterbator wrote:i hold my breath while doing atomics. and i can't seem to do anythign about it. it nearly kills me when i try and do consecutives.
I can only second that
-Richard Vock-

"And today the great Yertle, The Marvelous he,
Is King of the Mud. That is all he can see.
And the turtles, of course...all turtles are free
As turtles and, maybe, all creatures should be."
- Dr. Seuss

Dr_inferno
Multidex Master

Post by Dr_inferno » 23 Dec 2004 10:21

Why dont you wait till semi big tricks and make the hmph noise boxers do when the throw punches. Then after you drop the bag you still want to control your breathing so continuously sigh as loud as you can during others runs. Thats how you can really piss off Bap.......wait....I mean control your breathing.

Edit: I love bap
Jarrett Hutton
.//HACK
Brantford ON.

Shred till you bleed. Bleed because you want to.

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 23 Dec 2004 13:01

Last edited by FlexThis on 13 Jul 2005 10:44, edited 1 time in total.
Go out and shred already.
~Damon Mathews

BalinorNZ
Post Master General

Post by BalinorNZ » 31 Mar 2005 04:23

I think that breathing out every contact is not to much, I dont think you can ever breath too much, because breathing simply is filling your lungs with oxygen and pumping out CO2, so the more u breath the more oxygen there is to be pumped round your body.

More importantly: when you exhale most of the mussles in your body contract or 'tense up'. So if you breath out as you do a move your legs will move faster, this is why you find your strings more consistant with this breathing pattern. Off the topic, breathing out when someone hits you also helps reduce the damage done... and stops you getting winded.

Make a habbit of breathing well when you play, I think it is a essential key to having the endurance for long strings etc.

junkyardjew
BSOS Beast

Post by junkyardjew » 31 Mar 2005 08:27

I dont think you can ever breath too much, because breathing simply is filling your lungs with oxygen and pumping out CO2
I've heard that it's not quite as simple as that. There's something called "performance breathing" that some athletes do. It has to do with the fact that your body actually needs CO2 to unbind the oxygen from the hemoglobin in your blood. If you OVER breath, then you have lots of O2 in your system, but it doesn't help your muslces any (which is why hyperventilating will make you pass out the same way holding your breath will).

Because most sprinting (100m and 200m) is anaerobic, your breathing isn't going to help much anyway. You just have to learn to deal with lactic acid build up (the result of too much CO2, not enough O2).

I think that maybe the "exhaling every contact" works like it does in weight lifting - by working the rhythm of your breathing into the rhythm of your exertion, you find a balance that works for you. From my Yoga I know that breathing is really important in general, and I'd really like to learn more about sport breathing... if I do, I'll post it here....
Jared MacKay

BalinorNZ
Post Master General

Post by BalinorNZ » 31 Mar 2005 16:37

Thanks for clearing that up Jared. Some very interesting info there.

Footbag is both anerobic and aerobic. Different moves make your body perform different ways.
I think it is quite dependent on your level of play. For me blur is anerobic because I need to move my legs very fast and put alot of effort into it but for Vasek or Jorden etc the move would be more aerobic. For me mirage is aerobic, I can do mirage all day and not have to put much effort into it but for beginners have to put a lot of effort in to hit it.

Some moves like tripple atw and nemesis I think will always be anerobic ;)

Anton
Shredalicious

Re: breathing

Post by Anton » 19 Nov 2012 18:28

I find that some tricks are easier to exploit for a quick breath.
bops and ducking clippers provide you with enough time to draw some air. maybe symp whirls too.
Im sure any core trick can be used as an opportunity. Good form is key. I find that when my back is straight and hands faced down, your respiratory organs are least obstructed
\m/ichigan shreds

Pirrotta
Shredalicious

Post by Pirrotta » 27 Nov 2012 03:42

Symposium Mirage & frigidosis both seem like good recovery moves too. I have a bad habit of holding my breath for to long or sometimes even the entire string :oops:. I think when im holding my breathe i can concentrate on mentally executing the tricks better and forget about breathing (One less thing to think about), But that only lasts until my next breathe and then usually by that time my muscles are hurting and im so starved of air that i overfocus on breathing and i end up dropping. Glad this topic got bumped im going to work on breathing techniques next session.
Antonio Pirrotta

CRKDMike
Hack Fiend

Post by CRKDMike » 13 Jun 2013 08:01

Hey guys, this is my first post, and I think it is highly appropriate because I made a trip to the ER yesterday due to sharp pains while breathing. It all started after my first shred session in about 10 years. Needless to say, I am out of shape, and no longer able to deal with the physical demands that freestyle footbag requires.

My chest still aches from that session, because I was constantly winded and breathing heavy. I noticethat at certain points my breathing stops, and/or is laboured due to my increased mental focus on the tricks I am trying to pull off.

As a proficient drummer and drum instructor, I feel that breathing while shredding is the same as breathing while drumming. You must constantly monitor it, and be sure that it is happening!! And I wasn't...

Sometimes what you're doing may require more effort and focus, and so breathing gets sacraficed in order to be successful with what you are focused on. That is natural, and neccessary, but make sure to breathe whenever possible otherwise.

Also, breathing through the nose in and out is a better way to breathe in ANY situation. Breathig through the mouth offers few benefits when being physically active, and is usually a result of fatigue, or blockage of the nasal cavity or nostrils. Breathing out through the mouth is used in yoga because it causes an increase in CO2, which in turn gives a feeling of relaxation, which is not what you want when tou are shredding. Breathing through your nose helps to regulate the amounts of CO2 and O2, since your body needs both in order to distriubute O2 to your muscles.

Forcing yourself to breathe on every contact may not be a great idea, since some catches may be closer together than others. Breathing consistently is more important in my opinion.