technique: rhythm

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

DoctorJay
Fearless

technique: rhythm

Post by DoctorJay » 20 Dec 2004 09:53

How to get used to this rhythm which makes your game so fluent.

players who come to my mind are brett campbell, big add, caleb abrahams.

I hope you understand what meant with the word rhythm.

I like it so much when saw players busting huge tricks without any effort.

What is the secret?

Thanks for help
Jochen Bauer

Paradox Feet Footbag Club
http://www.paradoxfeet.de

http://www.jochen-bauer.net

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 20 Dec 2004 11:33

School your consistency so it truely is "easy" to hit your tricks. I think some players just have a natural feel for it also.

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 20 Dec 2004 13:50

try playing to music. Find a few songs that have beats that match the speed at which you are comfortable playing, and concentrate on doing SS clippers, op clippers, op toes, etc, on every other beat. Most songs go 1, 2, 3, 4, so do your delays on 2 and 4. once you gain that kind of control, and you can play right to the beat of a song, your bag will be rising and falling exactly the same every contact, and your linked moves will start to have a rhythm. try playing with songs at varying speeds, and you will find that slower beats work for some moves and styles, and faster beats work for different stuff.

good luck. let us know how it goes.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Post by Anz » 21 Dec 2004 07:16

:roll: Yeah, but that's fucking hard doing longer runs, so it takes some time.

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 21 Dec 2004 13:11

anssi, I disagree. I took to it very easily when I decided to start playing like this, and Aric McIntosh, who's been playing for only a year and a half now or so, can play to beats for long guiltless strings with lots of shuffle, ducks, and dives (8O).

osis and 1 dex moves are really easy to get right on a beat. start with just that. I'm sure you'll find even your low-level freestyle to be really rewarding and a lot of fun if you're keeping right on a beat the whole time, and I'd wager keeping a beat is probably more impressive to the average spectator than more difficult shred with no beat.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 21 Dec 2004 16:00

Yeah I agree with Matt. I think you need to aim for long runs not difficulty. Recently I've been playing through some routine songs - and just playing for the entire 2 minutes or whatever - not worrying about adds or even hitting any hard moves - doing "dropless" shred. It's heaps of fun and I think improves my game for when I want to hit hard long runs as well.

The other thing to do is to do drills. When you're drilling - don't just hit the combo once through - keep hitting it over and over until you drop it. A good example is in my spinning vid - where I do the drifter>butterfly>ripwalk drill. That's not a hard combo for me to repeat - but I think what I hit is:

drifter>butterfly>ripwalk>drifter>butterfly>ripwalk>drifter>butterfly>ripwalk>drifter>ripwalk>butterfly>pdx mirage>parkwalk>pdx mirage>pixie butterfly>pdx drifter drop - that was first attempt for me -

but the reason I can hit that 10 contacts of that drill into a run is because I drill it lots - I don't hit it once and say - "I hit this drill" - When you are drilling something - aim for long dropless drill runs. Don't worry about adds - something like torque>toe>ss clip>repeat is fine if you can keep doing it for a number of contacts.

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Post by Anz » 21 Dec 2004 21:43

grmbl...
OK, well it's harder doing longer runs (no drills) with shuffle and stuff into beat, that just hitting 1dex tricks and spins etc.
I didn't say it's impossible, just harder.
Control is the key.

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 22 Dec 2004 13:19

Last edited by FlexThis on 13 Jul 2005 10:41, edited 1 time in total.
Go out and shred already.
~Damon Mathews

DoctorJay
Fearless

Post by DoctorJay » 14 Jan 2005 13:46

That is a good point Damon- since I count I come much closer to hit ducking mirages more consistantly.

Nowadays I try to play to a good shred beat ( which will getting more varied when my cd burner will arrive) and pay attention using only three heights of sets.

- regular ( mid tigh)
- low ( slightly lower than knee)
- high ( head )

Now my consistance and flow improved - thanks for the tips .

The most important thing was to set really straight up ! I tend to chase after the bag all the time!

btw is there a move where the set is not straight up ?
Jochen Bauer

Paradox Feet Footbag Club
http://www.paradoxfeet.de

http://www.jochen-bauer.net

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 14 Jan 2005 14:26

Last edited by FlexThis on 13 Jul 2005 10:49, edited 1 time in total.
Go out and shred already.
~Damon Mathews

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 14 Jan 2005 14:31

I don't set anything straight up... but it's not a style choice for me it's a I need to practice more choice.
Dustin Rhodes