symposium to symposium

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

tstep84
Shredaholic

symposium to symposium

Post by tstep84 » 26 Feb 2005 14:59

I can hit paradox flail and symposium miraging legover about 8 out of 10 times seperatly but when I try and link them I have been having trouble. I have hit the combo two or three times but its very inconsistent. Anyone have this symposium > symposium trouble?
Tom Stepek

Senor Grommet
Post Master General

Post by Senor Grommet » 01 Mar 2005 20:52

At some point, we have all had trouble with symp moves. Mainly, I find that the trouble originates with shin splints or lack of muscular strength to perform them. It takes some time to develop the muscle necessary to hit 15 symp mirages in a row, or a symp eggbeater, or a symp dlo. So, dont get down on yourself. Think of it like this: every time you even attempt to link two symposium moves, you are that much closer to the days when you'll be hitting them with ease. Dont let it occupy you if you cant link them easily now . . . you're training your muscles to be more responsive, more powerful, and quicker.
My name: Jeremy Mirken, AKA Chocolatey Shatner, AKA jerk enemy rim.

I kick it with trunk chef elf and liz luck key my.

max
Australofrenchbrityorkus

Post by max » 02 Mar 2005 01:30

I think the main problem wih symp > symp combos espcially the ones with no foot switching is balance.
You have to set from the first symp move PERFEECTLY for the second as you're still standing on the same leg. If you get just a tiny bit off balance you're fscked. I've had this pb. with comboes such as:

symp whirl > symp bubba
symp whirl > pogo
Maxime Boucoiran
French ConneXion
BFC

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 02 Mar 2005 04:38

I've been working on my technique for symp moves a bit recently and I think one of the best things you can do with the move - both for making them easier and for reducing injury is to lift your dexing leg off the ground with only a very small jump (but a high knee lift) rather than trying to jump high. So your head should stay pretty much in the same position (not rise at all) - it's just your knee that rises - meaning the impact is less and the strength needed is less - as well as keeping your whole body more stable. It takes a while to get used to, but practicing the motion without the bag will really help - I've found it has really helped my consistancy in symp moves and in linking them recently.

tstep84
Shredaholic

Post by tstep84 » 02 Mar 2005 09:07

thank you, yes I think the balance thing is probably it. I also usually try to do the flail dex a little higher than necessary. I will try these tips tonite.
Tom Stepek

Blackend
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Blackend » 21 Apr 2005 09:28

From the mouth of Kevin Crowley:

Hop up stairs on one leg to help increase the strength in that leg (but do both!)

Hope that helps.
Sam Mayer

"Son, a woman is like a beer. They smell good, they look good, you'd step over your own mother just to get one!" - Homer Simpson

Shredster
Flower Child

Post by Shredster » 21 Apr 2005 10:45

Its how far over the bag you are after each symposium. If you are constantly right on top of the bag (meaning that your leg is strong enough to elevate you straight over the bag), the next symposium will be easier since it'll almost seem like you're starting the next trick from a regular stall.

Its just the stall that you have after the first symposium. Too far out will prove pretty hard. Try and delaying closer into your body, and if it helps any, do a little hop on your symp leg before you actually symp. Consecutive symp mirages for me probably look funny since i go:

Hop > symp mirage > hop > symp mirage...its not as efficient as just straight symp mirages, but it helps you get higher (something with stimulating your muscle or something..)

Seal it closer to you, then set it closer to you, dex closer to you, delay closer to you (rpt)
Chris May
Paradox=((5N^x^p)-54000aph^np)/adds
Its just about that confusing...

james
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by james » 04 May 2005 07:38

Is it just me or do a lot of people 'the' their symp mirages and novas? Yeck.
I'm seeing a lot of the'd butterflies lately as well.

random bitching for the day.
James McCullough

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 04 May 2005 07:45

I think it's just you...

james
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by james » 04 May 2005 15:19

No it's YOU jeremy o'wheel
James McCullough

habitat
Post Master General

Post by habitat » 05 May 2005 08:26

fuck it, nm
Last edited by habitat on 07 May 2005 12:58, edited 2 times in total.
James Randall

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 05 May 2005 08:29

james wrote:No it's YOU jeremy o'wheel
you think my symp mirages and symp dlos are "the"?

james
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by james » 07 May 2005 21:59

I honestly can't say because I've never seen them, I was just reflexively saying whatever you said back at me cuz it's fun.
Like 'you're an idiot'
Then 'no, you're the idiot'
then 'well uhh, I guess you got me there'

Hey why do people put quotations around theing? It's just plain retarded, not unlike myself, IMNSHO

And Mr. Randall why would you bother actually sending the msg that said 'fuck it nm'? Isn't that contrary to the fact that you decided NOT to say anything? But you're making a statement nonetheless, what it could be we can only imagine, care to shed some light on your revelations?

And to not totally highjack this thread I have a pointer for symp to symp links....PRACTICE! In actuality, since your foot is already in the air, consecutive symp moves are easier than switching back and forth.
James McCullough

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 07 May 2005 22:29

Good tip!

Just to defend James slightly - he said something else originally but then edited his post - which I will delete shortly, along with this one - since they are both obviously irrelevant and a waste of space.

Then you'll look stupid for commenting on a post that doesn't exist :D ;)

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 08 May 2005 17:45

Yeah, I backside smear > backside smear a lot easier than pixie same symp mirage > pixie same symp mirage.

Paul Agostinelli
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Paul Agostinelli » 25 Aug 2005 23:04

Jeremy wrote:Good tip!

Just to defend James slightly - he said something else originally but then edited his post - which I will delete shortly, along with this one - since they are both obviously irrelevant and a waste of space.

Then you'll look stupid for commenting on a post that doesn't exist :D ;)
he sure would, if it didnt exist, but it does.

and to add to this thread

i do the hop>symp>hop>symp thing too

and Jeremy hit it on the head

the most important thing is definately in the lifting of the knee

i learned this when someone told me that my dada curves were the. so i asked how to fix them and they said "they only way to clean a dada, is to keep the bag in front of you, not under you. which requires lifting that knee up."

that someone was jorden moir.

~NEL~
Precisely Mos Eisley

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 26 Aug 2005 06:59

I really enjoy symp moves!

Muscle strength and balance are the most important things to train for linking in and out of these moves.

I partly agree with Jeremy about the jumping thing. I think it depends on which trick you are trying. A symp whirl from clipper for instance doesn't require much of a hop at all. While a spinning symp whirl does.

I think the timing of a symp move along with the height of the set can determine the hop and how high you need to jump to get the dex into position in time.

For linking moves together, just remember that unless there is an immediate set following the first symp move, you have the up time to prepare for the dex and the downtime to complete the dex. This means time for you to re-adjust if the preceding set is a little off.

~peace
Damon