Serious Hip pain

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Re: Serious Hip pain

Post by Cass » 07 May 2016 11:00

AdAstra wrote:Reviving this because I've had trouble with my hip flexor. The pain seems to flare up randomly, I can't link it to any one trick, it simply hurts whenever I raise my right leg at all. Some practices it doesn't bother me, while others it does. Lately, though, the hip flexor has bothered me for a week straight which has never happened before. Any help?
I would strongly recommend stretching after each session if you don't already.

Half pigeon pose in particular:

http://www.yogajournal.com/article/begi ... geon-pose/

Other good poses for footbag include runners lunge, pyramid, dragon, malasana, triangle, etc.

Good luck!

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 07 May 2016 16:26

Thanks for the suggestions Cass, but the yoga seems impossible for someone of my flexibility. I don't always do post-shred stretches, I should definitely be more consistent about that.
Austin
Lexington, KY, USA, Pale Blue Dot

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 07 May 2016 17:38

Thread the needle is a great place to start if pigeon doesn't work for you.

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 08 May 2016 07:18

Cass wrote: I would strongly recommend stretching after each session if you don't already.
Half pigeon pose in particular:
http://www.yogajournal.com/article/begi ... geon-pose/
Other good poses for footbag include runners lunge, pyramid, dragon, malasana, triangle, etc.
Good luck!
I'm a big fan of the hip opener stretches like these. Thread the needle, and half pigeon are really helpful. My hips tend to get tight after playing a lot and not stretching.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 12 May 2016 13:51

Thanks for that link, Cass!

I stretch before shred and after, every time, and rarely have problems with my legs. I am 34 and have been freestyling for about 14 years. I HIGHLY recommend stretching before and after...or at least after. Don't worry about not being flexible; the more you do it the more flexible you become.

Also, eating plenty of potassium, e.g., avocados and bananas, might help as it is good for joints and areas that move a lot.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson