Flexebility

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
Kljopa
Post Master General

Flexebility

Post by Kljopa » 27 Mar 2006 04:22

I believe it is important in footbag to increase it you have to stretch.I spend some time everyday stretching all kinds of muscles,specially my ankle's.

Do you think streching is important? I heard some people dont stretch at all :roll:

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 27 Mar 2006 07:52

Every session.

Stretch Before.

Stretch After.

To protect yourself from injury.

To save yourself from pain.

HooD
HoodluM

Post by HooD » 27 Mar 2006 10:32

I believe stretching helps to a certain extent. With more mobility in a joint, comes more instability. Meaning, if you're already flexible or hyperflexible, stretching isn't necessary as it is for people who are tight and lack normal flexibility. It's hard to differentiate what normal flexibility is if you don't have that knowledge handy, but if you do, going past that will leave certain joints instable and waiting for some sort of injury. So I preach stretching, just not overdoing it !
More C4 please <3

Kljopa
Post Master General

Post by Kljopa » 27 Mar 2006 10:59

I dont think that you can overdo streching.I stretch for like 60-80 minutes everyday 30-40 before session and after :)

full nelson
8-Bit Ninja

Post by full nelson » 27 Mar 2006 11:45

John's right. For example, a post you made a couple of threads down about walking on your outsides; that is not good. The more you stretch out the ligaments in your ankle, the more instable it is and more likely to sprain. Ligaments aren't very elastic. Once they're stretched, they're stretched for good. And since ligaments hold your bones together, they're pretty important.

But yeah stretching is important too, just do it within its limits.

Edit; I guess he hit that topic already too, haha.
Brad

ptaku
Egyptian Footgod

Post by ptaku » 28 Mar 2006 08:22

You should aim to stretch muscles and tendons, not the ligaments, or other structures of joints.

Stretching makes your muscles twitch faster, and stronger in some cases. This helps a lot in footbag. The other thing is that you're faster, because you don't have to fight with the resistance of your own body. I mean - The resistance of the "opposite" muscles to the ones you're using doing a move is smaller.

And about stretching before session. You CAN'T stretch when you have "cold" muscles. You should stretch only when you're warmed up. Stretching muscles when their temperature ist just normal temperature of your body can make things only worse. It could cause some microdamages of your muscles, and that can make you suffer from a serious injury later.
The other thing about stretching before is that stretching (especially isostatic stretching where you hold your muscles stretched for long period of time (20-30 sec.)) makes your coordination worse.

You better use the time for doing some good warm-up. It will adapt your body to the exertion better than stretching.
Pawel Ptaszynski

"I know I can! Be what I wanna be.
If I work hard at it, I'll be where I wanna be."

NAS

Be strong, LIVESTRONG

http://www.laf.org
http://www.wearyellow.com

Kljopa
Post Master General

Post by Kljopa » 28 Mar 2006 08:29

Thank's for the post Pawel.From now ill kick for about 5-10 mins before stretching.I read a book about strething it doesnt say that anything bad happens to you if you strech only good things.Maybe because its a book and it has to be sold, it's a book from soviet union times :)

ptaku
Egyptian Footgod

Post by ptaku » 28 Mar 2006 08:36

Yeah... Older books may not contain conclusions from newer researches. Normall thing.
Even some of the older sport trainers talk about training things that are outdated an actually not very good. And the worse thing is that they use training methods that are old and not always good. The the athlets suffer.

This is how it is with sport teachers in polish schools, unfortunately... I don't think that all of them do so, but most of them...
Pawel Ptaszynski

NAS

Be strong, LIVESTRONG

ptaku
Egyptian Footgod

Post by ptaku » 28 Mar 2006 08:37

Double post... please delete this one...
Pawel Ptaszynski

NAS

Be strong, LIVESTRONG

Kljopa
Post Master General

Post by Kljopa » 28 Mar 2006 08:58

Yeah my canoing trainer used old methonds i used to do canoing for 8 years.
But old strethces tho still remain the same :wink:

hackeysnacker

Post by hackeysnacker » 28 Mar 2006 16:35

i think if u stretch ur legs 30-40 minutes before playing they'll lose a lot of the "spring" needed for footbag. Nothing bad can really become of stretching after rigorous exercise as long as u take ur time and pay attention to how much stress is being put on your joints.

Larson
Shredaholic

Post by Larson » 30 Mar 2006 18:00

Not stetching is not as impotant for younger players, but the older you get the important stetching will become. I suggest stetching everyday no matter what age you are. It's good to get into the habit.
"Back to the essence."

-larson dupont

Jas
Shredaholic

Post by Jas » 31 Mar 2006 04:38

stretching helps reduce muscle tension, improve blood circulation therefore more oxygen flow which then means a delay of lactic acid build up, improves mental alertness, and increases the range of movement of body parts.
The main and popular stretch used is the static stretch where u hold a stretching position for 15-30 seconds.
A PNF (proprio neuro facilitation) stretch is a static stretch while the muscle being stretch is being contracted. This is the most effective stretch out of all 4 types of stretches.
So give this a go next time you warm up and cool down after sessions.
Jason Po