Tendonitis

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
sniper4life
Multidex Master

Tendonitis

Post by sniper4life » 19 Apr 2006 15:10

I was told I have patella tendonitis in my knee so I cant footbag for a while :(

Caleb
Fearless

Post by Caleb » 19 Apr 2006 16:49

That's what put me out of commision for 6 months bro. After that I got pissed at being so inactive so when I finished physical therapy I made a pretty hardcore workout routine that was dedicated to strengthening my knee. 8 months after that, I'm the poster-boy of badass-ness that stands before you. Haha. If you ever have any question, I'm loaded with info I'd be willing to share from the experience.
Steel City Freestyle

Caleb Abraham

Larson
Shredaholic

Post by Larson » 19 Apr 2006 17:24

My knees are messed up too. 6 months now. I've seen like five doctors, had x-rays and MRIs and my knees are just as bad as they were when I first got the problem. I tried physical thearapy, but that just made them hurt even more. Finally I was set to have surgery (arthroscopy), and then they decided I should try physical therapy again for at least another 3 months before jumping to surgery.

I am F!@#ing pissed. Caleb give me some more details on what your situation was. I'm not positive that I have patella tendonitis, but I'm sure it is similar if not the same. Was rest and physical therapy all you did, b/c it seems to me that it's going to take more than that. Comments from any one else with a similar problem would be greatly appreciated.
"Back to the essence."

-larson dupont

Larson
Shredaholic

Post by Larson » 19 Apr 2006 17:27

Also, when you did physical therapy was it more leg strengthening exercises, or was it more stretching.
"Back to the essence."

-larson dupont

hackeysnacker

Post by hackeysnacker » 20 Apr 2006 08:44

i had the same problem all winter.. if u don't play it will fix itself faster than if u play (even if it's only a "little"). Keep an ace bandage around your knee and take it easy

HooD
HoodluM

Post by HooD » 20 Apr 2006 10:12

Well, what have you been diagnosed with ? If you've seen that many doctors, had that many imaging techniques done on you, I'd say patellar tendonitis is one of your less evils. What I'm trying to say is that patellar tendonitis isn't that hard to diagnose and when you need that many second opinions, there is definitely more pathology going on than a simple overused / inflamed patellar tendon.

Let's just say it is patellar tendonitis (jumpers knee) without any other pathology going on in your knee to simplify the situation and answer some questions for others. A lot of times this is from some sort of increase of stress on your legs. This change could be from a number of things such as: a change of exercise(s), footwear, surfaces used to exercise on, etc.

This change of exertion will grow new musculature and if not managed well, the quads (front of thigh) can become overly tight over time. This tightness will be transferred over the patella (kneecap) and then into the insertion of the patellar tendon. The tendon will have more constant stress overall because of the tightness that has developed. Many activities will become more painful directly below the knee cap and repetative high stress activities will create high pain levels.

Some things to take care of first is to eliminate or modify what is harming that structure by using more rest and modifying the repetative activity to where it isn't putting so much stress through the legs. Once rested, stretching is a priority. Decreasing stress by elongating muscles surrounding the knee, mainly the quads. Continue doing less stressful exercises to develope leg strength while not damaging the patellar tendon. All of these start from a low level and are gradually progressed over time to develope overall more flexible power muscles with a healthier and stronger patellar tendon.

If it is patellar tendonitis you can use what HackeySnacker said, a small band just below the knee cap. It's a brace used to release pressure that is exerted through the tendon. It's mainly used during strenuous activities (footbag !). Pretty cheap, easy to find, easy to fit, give one a try if this is your problem.

Last edited by HooD on 21 Apr 2006 11:14, edited 1 time in total.
More C4 please <3

Caleb
Fearless

Post by Caleb » 20 Apr 2006 11:12

Hood is the man as far as health science is concerned. He knows his shit. I got patella tendonitus from doing too much, too fast. At that point I was runing about 20 miles a week, footbagging everyday, and staying active with recreation with my friends too (lots of basketball). Anyway, gradually I started to slow down, and when I said I'll take a week of rest at the end of it I had serious trouble walking up stairs.

It only took one Dr. visit and an X-ray to find out I had severe patella tendonitus, the fat pad below my knee was ripped to shreds, and my IT band was so tight that it popped my knee out of track everytime I bent beyond 90 degrees. The other knee was destined for demise too. I went through 3 months of physical therapy. Twice a week I would go and be instructed and assisted in lots of stretching and got ultrasound there too (to assist the healing process). Near the end of the 3 months I started extremely low weight and high rep strength exercises. That was when I asked the PT if I could just do this on my own. I continued weight training on my own, still at a ridiculously low weight, and I worked up slowly. Also, there were 3 months after PT that I went to my old high school soccer coach for the hook up on some more ultrasound.

8 months later, here I am still working out and added some more to it too. All exercise was focused on my quads, hamstrings, and calves. And for 6 months I didn't shred any. I did it all without a brace however. I'm stubborn and didn't like the risk of being dependant. I don't recommend doing that. I hope your situation is no more severe than mine was. Otherwise all I can recommend is staying out of footbag for a long time.
Steel City Freestyle

Caleb Abraham

HooD
HoodluM

Post by HooD » 20 Apr 2006 12:56

Caleb wrote:didn't like the risk of being dependant.
As far as that is concerned, just use it during initial stages of recoverying and introducing new exercises or activities. Once those exercises / activities feel normal and you feel stable infront of your knee, try session'ing without it. As far as this brace goes, it's not much of a crutch because it doesn't give stability in any plane. It is mainly used to reduce stress which reduces pain, so use it while you're recovering and then ween yourself off of it once you feel comfortable with activities. Or just be a hardass and be like Caleb.
More C4 please <3

Larson
Shredaholic

Post by Larson » 20 Apr 2006 13:21

Thanks for the feedback, but I'm still not certain what my diagnosis is b/c nothing showed up on the x-ray or MRI. Whenever I try the smallest amount of exercise my knees just start to hurt and feel unstable later that day. Even if I give my knees like a month of rest and then strectch or exercise them they just turn to shit again.
"Back to the essence."

-larson dupont

sniper4life
Multidex Master

Post by sniper4life » 20 Apr 2006 15:10

My coach told me tendonitis is nothing serious and that I still have to go to track practice. So i guess if I'm going to be running then screw not footbagging. Is continuing to sprint bad for tendonitis? My coach said it isn't really anything.

HooD
HoodluM

Post by HooD » 21 Apr 2006 03:36

Well, that attitude of your coach is how people end up in therapy because they've pushed too hard when they shouldn't have. It all depends on how severe the tendonitis is and how it is progressing. If you feel like it's getting worse every sprint, the pains are increasing, tell your coach. If he doesn't agree with you, quit, you don't need a dictator ordering you to kill your knees.
More C4 please <3

Caleb
Fearless

Post by Caleb » 21 Apr 2006 07:11

You could at least rejoice that you're not a distance runner. A few seconds of pounding on a hard track is a hell of a lot better than 2 miles of it.
Steel City Freestyle

Caleb Abraham