general slump > energized

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
Spontaneous Spaz
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

general slump > energized

Post by Spontaneous Spaz » 30 Aug 2006 19:31

eright... i play footbag every day, or every other for that matter, but i'm still very tired and feel sluggish when i play....

any way to feel all around more active, aside from more sleep and power bars?

cuz i think that being more energized would give me more motivation to play more longer

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 30 Aug 2006 19:52

:arrow: Nutrition. Make sure you are eating right. Try cutting down on junk food and soda.
:arrow: Hydration. This can be overlooked a lot of the time. Make sure you drink plenty of water before, during and after playing. If you are eating powerbars hydration is VERY important because without enough water in your system your body won't be able to absorb the nutrients.

Are you getting enough sleep?
Do you take a multivitamin?
Do you drink enough water?

When you say sluggish is it that your muscles get sore easily or you get out of breath easily?

Spontaneous Spaz
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Spontaneous Spaz » 30 Aug 2006 20:15

means that my muscles just don't feel like doing physical activity... sluggish

of course a good stretch works sometimes, and a couple jumping jacks before a session...idk

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 30 Aug 2006 20:34

If your muscles get tired easily it just means they need to get developed. Make sure you are getting plenty of protein, especially after you

***PROTEIN SHAKE BREAK**** After starting to talk about protein I had to go make myself another shake. Mmmm vegan protein supplement with a couple bananas mixed in, YUM.

Anyways, where were we? Yeah if your legs are tired it means they need to get stronger. Make sure you are getting enough protein. I try to eat a protein shake after each shred. Basically you just buy the basic powder at any nutrition store or online, mix it with milk blend in some fruit and there you go delicious protein in shake form. It will allow your muscles to regenerate back stronger than they were before.

HYDRATION TIPS STILL APPLY. You need to be aptly hydrated for your body to absorb the protein.

I'm sure Hood has some good tips too, he'll probably jump in here at some point too.

ShredOnLawn
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by ShredOnLawn » 30 Aug 2006 20:50

Try using no socks and no insoles and playing on the hardest surface you can find.

Use a different footbag each time you play for like 10 times. Then go back to your favorite.

Try using 2 layers of socks and tie your shoes real tight.

Watch a Vasek Shred Clip before you play. But make sure you only see Vasek so it can't be a mix of players.

Try to break a sweat before you try any harder tricks.
Lon Smith

HG
^^^^^pwn3d

Post by HG » 31 Aug 2006 11:47

:lol: @ protein shakes.

Howabout just have a balanced diet? No need for goofy supplements and nasty shakes
JSACK wrote:alright well me and obara'bars, shredded our dicks off, since we are both in high school, obviously there is some sort of talent show

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 31 Aug 2006 13:30

Horny goat weed.
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

Spontaneous Spaz
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Spontaneous Spaz » 31 Aug 2006 16:31

i'm going to ignore that last comment

gangsta
BSOS Beast

Post by gangsta » 31 Aug 2006 17:24

I also find that Protein helps me play better/longer. It makes sense too!
Aside from that, Yerba Mate is flippin' awesome.

brinard
Flower Child

Post by brinard » 31 Aug 2006 17:27

maybe have a redbull/monster b4 a shred. thats what i do.

and i kick... instead of just starting a shred... and stretch.

some musik helps always. gets you in the mood to kick. (if the musix right)

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 31 Aug 2006 18:26

may not be the most popular response, but i honestly think taking a day off every few days will make you play better and longer on the days you do play. i played every single day for about 6 months straight and i was healthy and everything and it seemed like the best system, but lately i have been taking a day or two off here and there, and i have been improving a lot faster and becoming more both-sided and consistant. i dunno.
Pete Bowler
B$C
keeps it offah da ground.

617 FOR LIFE

gangsta
BSOS Beast

Post by gangsta » 01 Sep 2006 08:23

slapdash21 wrote:may not be the most popular response, but i honestly think taking a day off every few days will make you play better and longer on the days you do play.
It's a fact, infact!

beenjammin
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by beenjammin » 04 Sep 2006 07:48

I know what your problem is. i see this so often and so often it goes overlooked. It is a mental issue. If you have an attitude where you live to play and play to live you are gonna have no problem moving around that bag. I know after a while it is hard to get excited about footbag but it is key. You just have to come to the realization that footbag is fucking awesome! You gotta get pumped up man! Footbag man! Footbag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You've gotta get motivated, and of course getting plenty of sleep and a healthy diet is very important, but footbag is mostly mental. I hope you caught some of my footbag fever. Vasek clips motivate me.
"Every cereal is my favorite cereal"
Ben Rinowski

Spontaneous Spaz
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Spontaneous Spaz » 04 Sep 2006 08:01

KICKASS!! FOOTBAG FTW!!!!!!!!!!!

bluntobj3ct
BSOS Beast

Post by bluntobj3ct » 08 Sep 2006 12:15

take a break every other day or so. if i try to play three days in a row and on the third day my legs are fucking melting and my shins pulsate with pain-

then again when i shred i go all out :)

so go all out! play less frequently with more intensity! its hard to keep intensity and frequency up at the same time, and if it can be done its when you can execute fat long strings consistently and can work on style or concepts instead of hard tricks or drilling. i shred as often as possible, often every day, but when i do my sessions are not nearly as productive nor intense. they're basic form drill or just fun :)

thats just me

also, i would try to avoid caffeine as a supplement for energy, its both artificial and temporary and on top of both of those things, those drinks are gross and bad for you. eat healthy- (breakfast is key!) eat carbs (no stupid atkins bullshit) and eat protein so your muscles can build themselves back up when u tear em to shreds :)

protein supplements are neither unnatural nor unhealthy, in fact a majority of people eat so shittily it disgusts me, because i used to do the same thing. fast food, soda, energy drinks... horrible. eat healthy!

ok thats all. mostly just take a break from shred every other day for awhile!!! then you'll really want to shred when u get the chance to!
SAM MCAULAY
BLOG
ImageImage

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 08 Sep 2006 19:19

I would try to control your carbs and starch count, if you ask me. Unless you go all out on your shred and work your body out. Early this year, I've been on a runner's type diet and ate a lot of carbs. Well, I went to get a check-up (blood/urine test) from my doctor and he told me that my starch and carb count was way above average, and that I haven't even used most of what i was eating.

Just posting out of awareness. I'm sure that a person like me playing only twice a week would have reached to such drastic results and whatever. :?
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 10 Sep 2006 18:24

Hail To Thee Oh Redbull!!!
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

Jimpenske
Fearless

Post by Jimpenske » 12 Sep 2006 09:39

It helps to have other people around you that want to play. A lot of times when I play it because someone else asked me to. I also like watching a clip of myself. It gets me in the mood to kick even if I don't feel like it. Watching some Vasek or Mulroney also helps. And if I'm feeling tired and sluggish I just have some caffeine. If nothing else is working, I jump into the river. That always wakes me up.

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 12 Sep 2006 18:23

do yoga
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 13 Sep 2006 14:03

Your body can not grow new muscle, until it repairs and replenishes the muscle it has.

If you are playing everyday, you will build coordination. You will not gain endurance, and will not build new muscle as quick as someone who plays harder, but only three times a week.

I wouldn't advise playing more than three days in a row if you are wanting to gain more pep in your steps.