Calcium Supplements to prevent stress fractures

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
Psilocybe
Fearless

Calcium Supplements to prevent stress fractures

Post by Psilocybe » 28 Jun 2007 18:37

Hey all,

I've been suffering from shin splints for over a month now. Toe taps dont help. This is probably because my splints became a stress fracture. The situation wasn't helped by the fact that I continued to play because the pain would subside as soon as I started shredding. (endorphins, maybe?) The day after it would hurt to walk, though. If I touched my lower shin it would hurt.

So, I took a rather long break (1 week) and started on a calcium supplement after I read this article:

http://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/news/n ... d-fracture

It's worked! I take 300% calcium daily mixed with vitamin D and Magnesium. After 3 days pain is minimal and I can even hop off my left foot with little pain. I still stretch and do toe taps to make sure the pain stays away.

So, if you don't drink much milk I would recommend calcium supplements to keep that pesky pain away!

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 29 Jun 2007 07:51

Very interesting Brian!

Thanks for this. I've been struggling on and off with shin splits all 2007. A few months ago I switched from regular milk to soy milk. It's still fortified with calcium and other vitamins, but I generally only use it to put on my cereal.

I am going to pick up some calcium supps this weekend. Great tip, thank you :!:

jrstubs
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by jrstubs » 02 Jul 2007 05:16

I wouldn't say that calcium is good or bad....I really wouldn't know. Maybe I'll try it out, the reason I only play footbag once or twice a week is because I have stress fractures (I think)

Maraxus
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Maraxus » 08 Jul 2007 21:54

I take ZMA before bed, it is zinc-magnesium-calcium supplement to maintain muscle while sleeping.
bodybuilda