Is footbag bad for your health?

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.

Is footbag bad for your body?

No
43%
Only if you try crazy intense tricks
57%

Total votes: 21

Psilocybe
Fearless

Post by Psilocybe » 09 Sep 2007 12:35

Lets see:

Shin splints, both legs, multiple times
Rolled ankle
Foot pain
Nearly knocked my front tooth out
Stress fractures, both legs
Knee pain

Sadly, I'm convinced footbag is not good for my body. It hurts to walk.

SpYdeR
Shredalicious

Post by SpYdeR » 20 Sep 2007 07:51

Im not an expert but im guessing footbag is really bad for your knees. But considering all the benefits of playing footbag, I wouldnt stop just bc of that...

Benzilla
The Professional

Post by Benzilla » 20 Sep 2007 16:37

ANY sport can be dangerous towards your health and all of them take a toll and wear down your body.

As long as your form is right, you stretch and warm up you should be fine and stay that way for many years of shredding.

ShredOnLawn
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by ShredOnLawn » 20 Sep 2007 16:53

I voted No.

I think people sports are both good and bad for you.
Lon Smith

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 20 Sep 2007 20:47

I voted "bad form" but really it's far more complicated than that;

Good form is a complicated issue and there are a lot of conflicting factors.

A perfect example is symp dlo. In my opinion good form is high knee lifts with the bag dexing around the anlkes and facing the same direction from the start to the finish of the move. Bad form for this move is low knee lifts and twisting (clockwise if you stall on your right foot) to make the dexes easier.

When you compare those two different ways, the first method is harder and higher impact (so worse for your joints). Of course if you truely had good form, you would cushion the landings well too, but even if you didn't, I'd say you have much better form if you do the move the first way I described, and not the second.

So comments like; "this person has good form and still gets injured" or "this person has bad form and doesn't get injured" seem a little too general. To simplify down a little; you can hit moves in a way that is easiest for your body, you can also hit moves in a way that is cleanest and visually most appealing for footbag. This two factors are not always mutual.

I would also say that form isn't binary. I don't think it's possible to have "perfect" form - there are always subtle changes that can be made to improve things.

HooD
HoodluM

Post by HooD » 07 Oct 2007 17:55

Bad form equals bad health. Other injuries such as rolling your ankle, busting your teeth, etc. isn't really applicable to footbag being bad for you. That is just one's accident prone problem. Problems like stress fractures is either a result from muscle weakness, or bad form, probably both. If you play hard, your body better be physically ready or it will pay the price in pain.

Basically I see it as footbag is a great exercise as long as your form is good and you're not pushing your joints too hard at odd angles.
More C4 please <3