Un-limber...

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
StephenT91
Hack Fiend

Un-limber...

Post by StephenT91 » 27 Aug 2007 16:54

I'm very very unlimber. I can only get about 5 inches away from my toes just to give you an idea.

I think it's because I injured my ankle bad and was on crutches for 6 months then had to chill on it for another 4.

I've started doing various stretches every day though. Pretty much all the ones on this website somebody posted on here for some footbagging stretches and a couple more.

Is there anything else I should be doing?
Stephen Talbot

Bringerofpie
Fearless

Post by Bringerofpie » 27 Aug 2007 17:22

Eat right, drink plenty of water, and don't overextend yourself.
"Fuck it man, you just gotta do it."

Joe Snyder

Representing FLF (Fort Lauderdale Footbaggers)

http://onlycountria.myminicity.com

Dat
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Dat » 27 Aug 2007 17:49

You could take up swimming.
Dat Phan
-

CL: openFrameworks

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 28 Aug 2007 07:14

Building flexibility takes time. Also, stretching cold muscle is not the best way.

Remember: Warm-Up > Stretch > Activity (e.g. footbag) > Stretch.

So even if you are just stretching in the morning, make sure you warm up for a few minutes first doing jumping jacks or something similar.

Sometimes in the middle of a really long session I will stretch (and still stretch afterwards) just to keep my muscles fresh, and free from cramps. This was a key to being able to play every day at worlds.

Don't use how close you get to your toes as a metric for how good you are stretching. There is a lot of bad information in the American health system about how to stretch. You should be able to feel a stretch WITHOUT forcing anything. Stretch the right way, regularly, you will see improvement over time.

Also, if you haven't done so, watch the Anssi and Turku video on stretching that was put out on modified a little while ago, it's VERY good.
http://www.modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?p=334873

Psilocybe
Fearless

Post by Psilocybe » 28 Aug 2007 08:00

I'm not sure being limber really helps in footbag. I can get whole palm to the ground but I still get shin splints, and stress fractures! Yay!

Senor Grommet
Post Master General

Post by Senor Grommet » 28 Aug 2007 13:16

Stretching o drastically increase flexibility can best be achieved by stretching multiple times in the same day for several weeks in a row.

When Im in stretching mode, Ill stretch for 30 minutes 2-3 times per day. It can be quite time consuming but well worth the effort if you desire to be more flexible. And, after you get used to the time it takes, stretching can actually become a relaxing activity, something you want to do as opposed to something you feel you have to do.

-Jeremy
My name: Jeremy Mirken, AKA Chocolatey Shatner, AKA jerk enemy rim.

I kick it with trunk chef elf and liz luck key my.

StephenT91
Hack Fiend

Post by StephenT91 » 28 Aug 2007 17:40

Thanks for the replies guys!

Joe, I do drink lots of water, and eat somewhat right. But maybe the occasional ice cream. Such as the bowl I just ate. :wink:

Ben, thanks a lot! Yesterday when I stretched I did warm up, then have a good session after, but I didn't stretch after I got done hacking. I'll remember to do that more. Also, I downloaded that video last night, but it was taking so long I haven't had time to watch it. I probably will later today though.

Thanks again for the help. I'll make sure to use the advice!
Stephen Talbot