shredding on sore or stiff legs

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
beenjammin
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

shredding on sore or stiff legs

Post by beenjammin » 03 Feb 2008 11:16

If your legs are sore and/or stiff, what steps can be taken to loosen and revitalize your legs before and during shred? Any ideas?
"Every cereal is my favorite cereal"
Ben Rinowski

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 03 Feb 2008 12:13

Stretch when you finish a session. Stretch before you start the next one. A lot of stretching, basically.

I also airshred for a whole song (3 minutes) before I begin tiltless drills.
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

gangsta
BSOS Beast

Re: shredding on sore or stiff legs

Post by gangsta » 03 Feb 2008 18:25

beenjammin wrote:If your legs are sore and/or stiff, what steps can be taken to loosen and revitalize your legs before and during shred? Any ideas?
Just shred. Warm up with some PS whirls and ducking symposium eggbeaters.

calemccoy
Flower Child

Post by calemccoy » 05 Feb 2008 23:47

:D
my footblog
bombbags for sale
-cale mccoy-
RVFA footbag

EoghanMcDowell
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by EoghanMcDowell » 06 Feb 2008 00:29

Warm up with some PS whirls and ducking symposium eggbeaters
That sounds like a ham salad if i were you. To bad we didn't have a chance to choose. Oh well. The chance will present itself again when the time is right. Remember my name, you.

But in all seriousness. I have been having trouble with sore and pained legs, mainly my left one. I don't know what it is, maybe it's the constant ramming by the other leg when executing double downs, or illusions, or something. But it just plain hurts when i play. Though at other times it's completely fine. It surely baffles me.
Eoghan Patrick Morgan McDowell

beenjammin
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by beenjammin » 06 Feb 2008 07:54

i usually try to eat a little bit of tomato or anything with potassium in it to aviod cramps. Of course I drink alot of water. I also find that stretching before shred can actually wear down your legs a little quicker so I just stretch them very lightly a few times after i get warmed up. Kicking before you shred is definitely a must, gotta get the blood flowin.
Thats about it for me, but theres gotta be more that you can do.
"Every cereal is my favorite cereal"
Ben Rinowski

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 06 Feb 2008 11:19

Saunas and whirlpools are nice too, if you have one you can use.

Before I had access to a sauna, I would soak in hot water after the session. I noticed my legs started to feel better after that, but I have no idea if it was from the soaking or something else (like my legs getting into better shape). Also, I try not to become immobile after a session - stretching (and holding a stretch for like 30 seconds) and walking are good. I also eat bananas (potassium-rich) after nearly every session.

That's all I got! If anyone has any actual knowledge about the above not being good for you, please let me know.

gMoney
Think Pink

Post by gMoney » 06 Feb 2008 12:24

I learned this from the cruise I went on last summer from the very large personal trainer guy that worked at the gym: he said that saunas and hot tubs may feel better after working out, but he said that cold water is a better way of not being sore the next day. I seem to remember that very distinctly for some reason.

I played today with pretty sore legs, and I think the best way is just to start slow, keep moving, and stretch. It sounds pretty simple. Just keep it small until you feel your legs are loose. After a short amount of time into the session the stiffness becomes a lot less noticable and you forget it's even there.

Aaaaand that's all I can contribute to this thread.
Grant Mooney
Footblog
Challenge

Darkshredder
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Darkshredder » 06 Feb 2008 12:41

peanut butter and banana sandwiches.
Pat Thomsen
Syracuse, New York - The connecting point to footbaggers in the NE and Canada. We make pancakes and air conditioners.

Anne
Shredaholic

Post by Anne » 07 Feb 2008 16:09

Yoga, man, yoga!!!! :lol:

dp
Egyptian Footgod

Post by dp » 07 Feb 2008 16:16

This is what all the cross country and track guys do after a hard workout, they fill a trash can up with 20-30 pounds of ice and fill the rest up with water and then just chill in there for like 4-5 minutes.

It takes almost all the soreness out.

You can do it with a small bucket of ice and a bathtub too!
Danny P.

professor
Post Master General

Post by professor » 08 Feb 2008 09:29

The best way to get rid of soreness is to ice after you shred and then heat. I'm no doctor, this is only what I've researched and been told by teachers.

Ice constricts the blood vessels, which reduces swelling and removes lactic acid. Heat causes blood to rush to the heated area, which increases healing time/efficiency.

Heating directly after shred feels better because it makes your muscles loose and masks the soreness feeling, but the next day you will most likely still be sore.

I'm not sure if it's better to heat right after icing or an hour or more later. If I had to guess, I would think waiting a little bit before heating would be best because it's not such a shock to the body and that's closer to the time when your muscles will begin to heal themselves.

Ice to recover, heat to repair.
Last edited by professor on 08 Feb 2008 13:10, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Skaggs

Amateurs practice until they can get it right.
Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

No, I don't play soccer. Yes, there are competitions. 4 years. Lots of practice.

Bringerofpie
Fearless

Post by Bringerofpie » 08 Feb 2008 13:00

Also, it's been suggested to me to eat a banana before a workout to prevent cramps. Just in case you're mistaking soreness from an old cramp and muscle tearing soreness (it's possible I'm telling you something completely irrelevant, but bananas are delicious).
"Fuck it man, you just gotta do it."

Joe Snyder

Representing FLF (Fort Lauderdale Footbaggers)

http://onlycountria.myminicity.com

JSACK
Multidex Master

Post by JSACK » 26 Feb 2008 16:59

pickle juice, loosens up the legs and prevents cramps , no joke

and eat, if ur like hungry n empty ur muscles straight cramp up
Shred The Flipside, and THE BICEPS- I'm 17 too (James McElwain

- some call me jsack, many call me, kickin' wing

http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=18162 ( my footblog )

Zeb Jackson
Post Master General

Post by Zeb Jackson » 26 Feb 2008 19:42

stretch before and after you shred, if there is anything I learned from Sam while he lived here in Boise its that stretching is the most bomb thing i have ever found for footbag. If you stretch for routhly 30 seconds a stretch after your done kicking (cooling down) I find it helps me a LOT to be not sore the next day, and on average when i shred i play for 3 hours at a time.

QuantumBalance
100-Watt Warlock

Post by QuantumBalance » 27 Feb 2008 04:34

Thanks Zeb, that's very meaningful to me.

Now if only you had learned to enchant your footbags... I'm still serious!

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 08 Jan 2009 12:35

http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article%20 ... domos.html

I found this article to be very interesting and directly addresses the root causes of sore, tired legs.
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

iandoig
Hack Fiend

messe dup heal

Post by iandoig » 01 Feb 2009 17:08

my right heal was in pain for MONTHS. i found that the best thing i cld do was take a break. i HAD to. i think my foot was broken but i didnt have the money to seek med help. it was hard. but i had to take a break. i stitched a bit n learned more about kickin from readin. if i continued kickin it wlda been for the worse.

that was just me tho. i wld suggest stretchin as well.
icosidodecahedron

maverick-morley
Shredaholic

Post by maverick-morley » 17 Jul 2009 12:58

major bummer!!! just strained my calf muscle continuely doing mirage!!! or trying to!!!!

now it throbs when i stand on the balls of my feet!!! soooo annoying! no play for a while till is goes!! :(
Mav

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 18 Jul 2009 19:20

ice on the joints and muscles that hurt/ THe Ice is uncomfortable itself just because its like jumping into a cold pool. But thats what pros do- football players jump into a barrel of icewater 8O 8O 8O