Played first time in 6 months, hurting badly

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
Guest_1
BSOS Beast

Played first time in 6 months, hurting badly

Post by Guest_1 » 22 May 2008 05:15

I played for the first time in 6 months and I'm nervous to kick again. My legs were in pain, I overdid my right thigh muscle, and it's still painful to walk up stairs-my knees give out.

:-( I'm not even 20!

How do you get back into freestyle without hurting all the time like an old man. I worked out 3+ times a week for several months and never had this problem...

Benzilla
The Professional

Post by Benzilla » 24 May 2008 06:17

start out slow, and stretch

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 01 Jun 2008 07:32

Sometimes when you're nervous to kick, you end up stomping more.

Ease up on everything and work on downtime components smooth and slow. Stretch before and after shred. Try to give your knees a break once in awhile.
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 02 Jun 2008 09:47

What hurts exactly? Knee pain is a bad sign, thighs are a big muscle and can take abuse.

My 2 cents:

Have some sessions where you take it as sloooowww as possible. Warm up with kicks to the point that you are sweating. Then stretch. Then do just basic stalls for a while. Then throw in some tiltless but don't get too fancy. You can also fool around with low-impact unusual stuff like rakes, pinchers etc. Try to avoid big/strenuous tricks altogether (butterflies are OK, stay away from shuffle, whirls, eggs, symp etc.) Then warm down with kicks, then stretch again.

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 02 Jun 2008 09:52

yo dude,

You were probably super excited about freestyle because it was your first session in a long while, and your legs were all fresh so you probably went all out.

I know that experience well. Pretty sucky afterwards, but it's fun at the time.

My best sessions in the past few years have been the ones where I spent the first hour of play trying to beat my tiltless record with good slow smooth style, bothsidedness, and variety.

Give it a try!
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Jordan
Wu-Tang

Post by Jordan » 04 Jun 2008 11:30

i would say just stretch... a lot!