Problems with hips. Anyone else?

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
Sergey
Egyptian Footgod

Problems with hips. Anyone else?

Post by Sergey » 09 Oct 2008 11:14

Below is description of the program that I am experiencing. If anyone has experienced similar issues, please post.

-Very often, I feel that there is an imbalance in my hips when I walk. My left hip is weaker compared to my right hip.

-I feel like there's not enough muscles to keep my body straight whenever I walk.

-I feel that my legs/hips are not moving symmetrically with respect to each other. As if one of my legs were shorter...which as well might be the case, I don't know, but that's exactly how I feel when I walk.

-The muscles just below my hips (the ones you use for an outside kick) are extremely stiff all the time. Usually, on my left side only.

-I've always found it difficult to stay still - I feel it very hard on my hips. Walking or sitting is way better.

I think I've had this issue for a while, probably ever since I started in 2002.

I went to see a manual therapist a few years ago. He hooked me up with a program that does help me a lot. Whenever I take 10-15 mins to get a couple of exercises done after a session, I feel significantly better. The results have been instantaneous as far as I'm concerned. Usually, next morning, both my walking and shredding dramatically improve - I feel stronger and more controlled overall.

Looking forward to hear anything.
Sergey Pikalov

fool
Shredalicious

Post by fool » 09 Oct 2008 11:43

I've had somewhat of the same experience since I started kicking last year and started playing football (About the same time). My left hip muscle was always stiff and sore, and hurt to run. I didn't feel awkward walking, but I've been told that I looked hurt when I did. I didn't see a doctor about it, but a lot of rest, ice, stretching, and strengthening has helped a lot. Keep with your program and I think you'll be back up to health in no time. Good luck.

Drew
Fearless

Re: Problems with hips. Anyone else?

Post by Drew » 09 Oct 2008 12:50

Sergey wrote: I went to see a manual therapist a few years ago. He hooked me up with a program that does help me a lot.
more info on this bit?

A short time ago I started getting similar problems when attempting too many pdx whirls or downtime whirls or something of that sort. It only ached for the remainder of the day and then I rested it.

soundchecktx
Circle Kicker

Post by soundchecktx » 28 Apr 2009 12:52

I also have hip problems. i started footbagging not too long ago and recently was attempting a trick and came down really weird on my left leg and now my left hip kills after i play for about an hour. Should i just stop playing for awhile and let it heal up, or play easy on it? Does anyone know what i should do?

M4rQu5
Hack Fiend

Post by M4rQu5 » 27 May 2009 06:31

-snip-
Last edited by M4rQu5 on 15 Aug 2009 01:09, edited 1 time in total.

Aukku
Circle Kicker

Mee too

Post by Aukku » 08 Aug 2009 12:49

I sometimes have kinda same problems in hip area of my right leg, when during a lot of dexes and after it.

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 20 Aug 2009 22:57

The hip joint is strong and generally footbag shouldnt injure it bad. If it hurts take it easy on the new atomic duck you were trying but keep active. Ive had some difficulties with what was my strong clipper since a motorcycle accident/or a few :roll:The problem isnt crashing its the picking the bike up like a feather while high on adrenaline- especially when my shoelaces get caught on the handlebar as I hoisted the bike up=that hurt bad. My strong clipper went bad and I also notice my hip doesnt move right. If im doing a situp movement a muscle/ligament in my left hip gets hung up for a bit and then pops and then i can get full range. :D

Runkstafari
Shredalicious

Post by Runkstafari » 23 Nov 2009 12:15

I was recently shredding about a week ago or so and havent since because last time i was shredding I was working on my atomic sets. When I was doing the set with my right leg my hip sort of almost "popped out" but it sent a shooting pain and I had to stop to take it easy for a while. Now when I try to kick or do left clippers or any sort of dexing with my right leg my hip seems gets this pain. There is nothing wrong with my muscles its almost like I injuired my hip joint.
Has this happened to anyone or something like it, does anyone have any ideas or stretches I could work on it with, it would be much appreciated because I'm getting ansy to shred!

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 05 Dec 2009 00:17

I STRONGLY recommend taking time off at the very least, like 2 week rest and then see how it feels. I think most people know their bodies somewhat, if you feel its bad then go to a physical therapist before it gets worse or becomes a chronic problem.

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Re: Problems with hips. Anyone else?

Post by CIC flurry » 07 Dec 2009 11:26

Sergey wrote: -I feel that my legs/hips are not moving symmetrically with respect to each other. As if one of my legs were shorter...which as well might be the case, I don't know, but that's exactly how I feel when I walk.

-I've always found it difficult to stay still - I feel it very hard on my hips. Walking or sitting is way better.
I've totally experienced this before the feeling that one leg is shorter than the other when I walk. I would wonder if the sidewalk is slanted or if it's my hips. But it only lasts for a little while for me. Maybe it's a result of more intense footbag for that time. Or maybe it's just my perception.

Also I don't like standing in the same place for long periods of time or sit in the same way for long either.

Recently my hip on my strong stepping set side was sore for a few days and it felt like it had less muscle than the other side, like maybe it's more worn out. maybe it was psychological b/c it was sore though.

abstract
Fearless

Post by abstract » 26 Jan 2010 16:26

I used to have this EXACT same problem, back in 2003/2004.

I became convinced for a while that one of my legs was shorter than the other & felt a bit off balance while standing, but the problem became less pronounced when walking or running since I was shifting the focus of my weight from foot to foot, so the balance was isolated to one limb, in a sense.

I believe the cause was completely unrelated to footbag training, despite it being most pronounced during periods when I was playing every day. I have always tried to be bothsided, so there was no one sided emphasis in training. But the intense exercise brought about awareness of my body's imbalance.

For me, it was the little things. I always carried a shoulder bag that was weighed down with boombox, books, etc, always on the same shoulder, my right. When standing idle, while both feet would be on the ground, my body would place slight emphasis of weight on one foot, my left, as opposed to equal distribution. Over time this caused my right hip to stick out a bit & messed up my walk cycle.

I no longer have these feelings at all, regardless of how intensely I play. I switched to a backpack instead of shoulder bag & started paying attention to keeping my lower back straight, as I could feel the connection of my lower back to my hips & it was the easiest way to catch myself in the act of uneven hip placement. The straightened lower back kind of helped to pull my hips into properly alignment.

Hope this helps.
greg raymond, kingston

FB: Rocker Holliday

"What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby? Maybe we'll never know." - Jack Handey

grinderman
Circle Kicker

Post by grinderman » 09 Mar 2010 08:24

My left hip is a bit fucked. Official diagnosis is tendinitis. When doing butterfly stretches my left leg can only go down a tiny amount before it hurts badly, and not the kind of hurt you get from stretching. Also, if I turn slightly pivoting on my left leg I'll get a strong twinge and it feels like my leg will give out, and I'll be sore for a few minutes afterwards.

Jorden
Retro Athlete

Post by Jorden » 09 Mar 2010 17:21

See a physiotherapist and/or chiropractor.
Jorden Moir

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 11 Mar 2010 22:39

I fell on the ice right on my hip this winter, I was carrying my helicopter so I landed hard to save it. At first it was bruised, then the bruise went away the next day and I knew it was deep. Over the next week It got really purple and sore. Its been over a month now and the second bruise is gone but theres a 3rd one and now its giving out occasionally LOL.

Im convinced my hips are fucked and im getting hip replacements by age 50 :roll:

jrstubs
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by jrstubs » 06 Jun 2010 06:16

I have trouble with my hips popping doing inside stalls/clippers, which is sometimes painful. Still happens even with stretching, idfk. Left hip worse than right..