Weed and footbag

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
Sergey
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Sergey » 15 Apr 2010 13:41

Weed does not make you focus or feel happier. It causes anxiety, depression and panic attacks.

It does not make you better at sports. After smoking, your muscles relax and you can't perform as well. As a matter of fact, try this:

1) Smoke a joint or two.
2) Try learning something new that requires logical thinking. Math, Programming, Physics would work. See how well it goes! I bet you won't learn shit.

or

3) Go for an intense one hour workout. See how like it.

Most people that I know that have been smoking weed for a long time WANT TO quit because it has taken control of their lives.

Weed is a drug and I don't care what people say.

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 15 Apr 2010 18:09

It's pretty ignorant to speak for everybody about things that you personally may have experienced. Yes it's a drug, and like all drugs it has different effects on different people.

Don't do it if you don't like it.

Also, I love doing physics high. I find it causes me to step back and analyze the situation rather than immediately rushing into the math.

Sergey
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Sergey » 15 Apr 2010 19:35

Yes, I am speaking for myself and for everyone that I know.

The whole point of this discussion is to answer the question:

"Does smoking weed help one become a better athlete"?

The reality of life is that it does not for the majority of the population. It does the exact opposite. Prove me wrong.

mtoolan
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by mtoolan » 15 Apr 2010 19:39

Personally, I play footbag for much longer when I'm high, but I don't do it every time I play.

Usually when I smoke and play it's when I don't have anyone to kick with and I just want a relaxed shred session as opposed to drills and records. It helps me relax and focus more on just footbag, I'm usually more precise and "in the zone." The combination of footbag, weed, an empty tennis court, and a beautiful day has given me some of the most zen experiences I've ever had.

And I also agree with Cassie, doing math or science homework high is usually a lot of fun. It's like an intense puzzle.
Mike Toolan
Penn State Footbag Club

Sergey
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Sergey » 15 Apr 2010 20:23

Thank for sharing Mike, very interesting to hear how you experience the effects of marijuana. I am the exact opposite of what you and Cassy just described.

It would be very interesting to hear what other people have to say.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 24 Apr 2010 17:50

This topic is a good example of the danger of relying on anecdotes and subjective personal experience. A quick search of the peer reviewed scientific literature shows fairly conclusively that weed reduces mental abilities. But of course there is a difference between feeling like something is helping with your physics and it actually helping. I can't pretend I don't occasionally smoke weed, but I do so in the same context that I drink alcohol - to relax etc. in social situations. Both hinder my mental and physical abilities despite how they make me feel. I think it's important to understand the consequences of all substances you put in your body, especially because the consequence of lots of drugs is to "trick" your body into responding in novel ways.

Ramen God
Multidex Master

Post by Ramen God » 31 May 2010 06:16

Bad stuff.
Earlier in this topic someone mentioned how smoking anything can give you cancer at high ammounts. Very long exposed times to incense has even given some monks, and other people who burn a hell of a lot of incense, cancer. I guess it mostly depends on what's burning.

underooninja
BSOS Beast

Post by underooninja » 14 Nov 2010 08:08

wow. i just read notyelf's post and im floored. great insight and view of the overall picture. all you 'weed is bad' people should read notyelf's post again and take heed his words.
lonnie hobbs
o0((skyliners))0o
*it IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you*

drillbit
Shredalicious

Post by drillbit » 16 Nov 2010 09:35

The truth is out .......Alcohol is the worst of all drugs......

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39938704/ns ... ddictions/
... overall, alcohol outranked all other substances, followed by heroin and crack cocaine. Marijuana, ecstasy and LSD scored far lower.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 16 Nov 2010 21:35

I think the way that study is presented is pretty misleading though, because it's based on actual consequences, not relative consequences. Alcohol is the most dangerous drug because the majority of people consume it, and consume much more of it than other drugs. If most common drug people consumed was heroin, and people did it every weekend, with meals, when ever something good or bad happened in their life, and at the end of a days work, while alcohol was stigmatised, illegal and only used by a small percentage of people, I think we can be pretty confident heroin would be more dangerous in the terms of that study.

The purpose of the study wasn't to suggest taking some drugs is better than others, but to show to governments which drugs are costing them the most money.

drillbit
Shredalicious

Post by drillbit » 17 Nov 2010 06:51

sure...
The study was paid for by Britain's Centre for Crime and Justice Studies and was published online Monday in the medical journal, Lancet.

Experts said alcohol scored so high because it is so widely used and has devastating consequences not only for drinkers but for those around them.
i agree perception plays a role....but i think head to head......alcohol is far worse than weed to the mind, the body, and society. if weed and alcohol reversed roles i believe the outcome would still be the same.

in the end addiction is additction and it is a people problem not a substance problem. the addiction is a symptom of deeper issues.

weed does not cause cancer or mental illness, there is no gaurantee that either of those things will occur. lets not be paranoid.

M4RKeM4RK
Circle Kicker

Re: Weed and footbag

Post by M4RKeM4RK » 19 Nov 2010 20:22

Pinkus wrote:Marijuana paralyzes the cilia of the conductive airways, and destroys the alveolar walls of the lung. This is true of any type of inhaled smoke. It can lead to lung fatigue, CO2 retention, emphysema, cancer, bronchitis, and it can compound with other respiratory illnesses to cause respiratory failure.

The lungs were designed to breath air (21% O2, 78% Nitrogen) with a relative humidity of 100% at a temperature of 37C.
Sooo, this is wrong lol. Such high levels of moisture in the air takes up more of the specific volume and there is less oxygen available for breathing. Also, what makes 37C/98F so good for breathing? The lungs were not "designed" at all. They developed randomly due to evolution. I'm a year late but I couldn't help but say something. Of course my 2nd post has nothing at all to do with footbag. I was a bio major though, what can i say? haha And as the wise poster above me suggested, USE A VAPORIZER!

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 25 Nov 2010 13:25

drillbit wrote:weed does not cause cancer or mental illness, there is no gaurantee that either of those things will occur. lets not be paranoid.
Actually weed *does* increase the risk of cancer and mental illness. Even amongst people who have no history of mental illness. I think I've posted some links to studies (also published in the Lancet) in this topic, or another modified topic on weed.

drillbit
Shredalicious

Post by drillbit » 25 Nov 2010 19:14

Jeremy wrote:
drillbit wrote:weed does not cause cancer or mental illness, there is no gaurantee that either of those things will occur. lets not be paranoid.
Actually weed *does* increase the risk of cancer and mental illness. Even amongst people who have no history of mental illness. I think I've posted some links to studies (also published in the Lancet) in this topic, or another modified topic on weed.
i was responding to this, where the statement is made that weed causes cancer.........i believe we can ONLY say it increases risk.
Jeremy wrote: Weed decreases your aerobic fitness, causes cancer and other illnesses and dramatically increases your risk of mental illness.
i agree, usage will increase risk.......
thats probably a fact...
-increase carcinogens and increase risk.
-muck with your brain chemistry increase risk.

we should also create a list of all the possible carcinogens that we are exposed to daily and a list of all the things that could increase the risk of mental illness. just to be fair.

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 25 Nov 2010 19:35

After extensive firsthand research over the years, I can say without any personal doubt that the costs outweigh the benefits.

It makes me really want to play, but makes me less able to play - an interesting conundrum (same applies to guitar).
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

drillbit
Shredalicious

Post by drillbit » 25 Nov 2010 19:35

lets also avoid these things........they also increase the risk of mental illness.......

What Psychological Factors Contribute to Mental Illness?

Psychological factors that may contribute to mental illness include:

* Severe psychological trauma suffered as a child, such as emotional, physical, or sexual abuse
* An important early loss, such as the loss of a parent
* Neglect
* Poor ability to relate to others

What Environmental Factors Contribute to Mental Illness?

Certain stressors can trigger an illness in a person who is susceptible to mental illness. These stressors include:

* Death or divorce
* A dysfunctional family life
* Living in poverty
* Feelings of inadequacy, low self-esteem, anxiety, anger or loneliness
* Changing jobs or schools
* Social or cultural expectations (For example, a society that associates beauty with thinness can be a factor in the development of eating disorders.)
* Substance abuse by the person or the person's parents

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 25 Nov 2010 19:36

death would definitely trigger mental illness in me. I'd be like "wtf i'm dead".
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

drillbit
Shredalicious

Post by drillbit » 25 Nov 2010 19:39

mc wrote:After extensive firsthand research over the years, I can say without any personal doubt that the costs outweigh the benefits.

It makes me really want to play, but makes me less able to play - an interesting conundrum (same applies to guitar).
totally agree! no longer useful......

makes me:

tired
"cloudy"
apathetic
sometimes paranoid
overeat
less disciplined

etc
etc

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 01 Dec 2010 00:46

interesting, i have medical card here in cali and i use it for a couple of those negatives you just listed, but for me they are positives:
-overeat... not really overeat, but it helps my appetite and I am measly 145 at 6'1, so i need to eat as much as i can!
-tired/sleepy... i used to take ambien (prescription sleeping med) for a little while, but i would rather vaporize a bit and rest my eyes.
The main reasons I take it are for back pain and sleep, but of course I indulge sometimes just to get high.
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

Allan

Post by Allan » 01 Dec 2010 16:32

Hey Jeremy:

Have you seen (or read) Michael Pollan's "The Botany of Desire"? It has some really interesting facts about cannabis, how it affects the brain, and the impact that researching it has had on neurological research.

There are certainly a variety of studies that show that cannabis has adverse effects on users, but there are also quite a few studies that show that we don't, actually, have a very good understanding of the drug, and that it can, in certain circumstances, have positive effects on individuals. I think the bottom line here is that we need to study it more before drawing conclusions.

As it relates to footbag and performance, I found Pollan's assertion that it helps people be "in the now" is quite relevant; I find myself notably more spontaneous and creative while playing high (which I do frequently).