Weed and footbag

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
Allan

Post by Allan » 01 Dec 2010 16:42

Oh, and BTW Lonnie: none of those links you posted are in any way good links to post if you're trying to sway anyone's opinion. What we need are un-biased, scientific studies that have stringent controls and peer-review.
Just as I wouldn't trust an anti-cannabis organization to give me the facts, I don't trust pro-cannabis organizations to do so either.

Allan

Post by Allan » 01 Dec 2010 22:54

Triple post: Boo-ya.

I just want to make it clear that I'm not trying to suggest, nor do I believe that smoking anything is good for you. It isn't. Smoking causes cancer. It's not good for enhancing athleticism; it will kill your endurance.

But aside from the method of delivery, cannabis (cannabinoids) is a compelling drug that is truly in a class of its own.

Laroche
Footbagger.

Post by Laroche » 02 Dec 2010 07:42

I feel this falls under a more fundamental question: If you could die at anytime for any reason, where do you draw the line between health and pleasurable activities which deteriorate your health? Let's say theoretically, if you smoked every day and drank a lot, somehow it was calculated that you would live until 70. Is that acceptable to you? What if it was 65?

I'd add more to this but my hangover is killing me right now..
Nicholas Laroche

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 04 Dec 2010 19:46

I like what you are saying Nick, but thats more along the lines of live life to its fullest. I agree completely that sitting around stoned isnt a good way to live. But its better than sitting around sober!

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 04 Dec 2010 19:58

Its also important to note that marijuana is unique in its variety of experiences. You can smoke the same weed at different times and have completely different effect. And there is variety to where you can choose which effect you want- but refer back, it wont always be the same.
You can smoke weed that gets you tired, hungry, slowed time, etc... and there is weed that will make you speedy, paranoid, hyper alert.

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 07 Dec 2010 17:30

^ Dude ...youve been getting bad shit...weed is supposed to make you HIGH

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 07 Dec 2010 22:32

Im gonna complain to my dealer! :D

defender
Shredalicious

Post by defender » 15 Dec 2010 01:07

I go to the gym almost every day.. Once I picked up smoking again, I was spending a lot more time there and was even running 3 miles every couple days. Then Some idiot left a joint out at work and his boss found it. Now I'm at risk of being randomly tested. I hate doing cardio sober, I hardly play footbag at all now... and my work days feel a lot longer. FML!
Risden

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 21 Dec 2010 02:54

AllanHaggett wrote:Hey Jeremy:

Have you seen (or read) Michael Pollan's "The Botany of Desire"? It has some really interesting facts about cannabis, how it affects the brain, and the impact that researching it has had on neurological research.

There are certainly a variety of studies that show that cannabis has adverse effects on users, but there are also quite a few studies that show that we don't, actually, have a very good understanding of the drug, and that it can, in certain circumstances, have positive effects on individuals. I think the bottom line here is that we need to study it more before drawing conclusions.

As it relates to footbag and performance, I found Pollan's assertion that it helps people be "in the now" is quite relevant; I find myself notably more spontaneous and creative while playing high (which I do frequently).
Sorry for a late reply.

I haven't read it, but I really like Pollan and it's on my list of books to read, especially as a botany student. I saw his TED talk on the subject, which is an interesting and amusing example of different framing. There was also a TV show of that book on local TV here recently which I missed, but maybe I'll download it.

I wouldn't deny that it's possible the drug can have positive effects in specific circumstances, and I agree that there is a lot of uncertainty in some aspects of the drug.

I think though that on some questions we can already draw conclusions. There are a few topics on this so I'm not sure if I've cited all the studies here or in those topics, but in my opinion the recent scientific evidence demonstrates that when you compare large populations of weed smokers to non smokers the weed smokers have a higher rate of cancer, lower aerobic fitness, and higher rates of mental health issues, taking in to account most confounding factors. These are obviously population trends, not rules, and depending on individual circumstances, some of the risks are barely statistically significant.

As I said earlier, I'm not opposed to smoking weed, and I do smoke a little, however we should be aware of the risks and I also find the romanticism and ideology that many stoners hold about the drug annoying.

To finish with a short anecdote in relation to your experience playing with the drug. One of the best ever touch football teams I've seen was a QLD team that had no structure or set plays to their attack, but just made it up on the spot and reacted to the defence. They would smoke joints in the toilets between games, but won the tournament.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 21 Dec 2010 03:00

crazylegs32 wrote:I like what you are saying Nick, but thats more along the lines of live life to its fullest. I agree completely that sitting around stoned isnt a good way to live. But its better than sitting around sober!
When I think of the best experiences of my life, in almost all of them I am sober. Thinking that your life is better when you're intoxicated than not intoxicated sounds like addiction to me.

drillbit
Shredalicious

Post by drillbit » 22 Dec 2010 06:03

crazylegs32 wrote:I like what you are saying Nick, but thats more along the lines of live life to its fullest. I agree completely that sitting around stoned isnt a good way to live. But its better than sitting around sober!
I am thinking that sitting around is not a good way to live........stoned or otherwise.

Jeremy wrote: When I think of the best experiences of my life, in almost all of them I am sober. Thinking that your life is better when you're intoxicated than not intoxicated sounds like addiction to me.
So you have a lot of experience with addicts do you? i cant see it.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 22 Dec 2010 12:59

Where I grew up has one of the highest youth unemployment and drug abuse rates in Australia. Numerous of my classmates are either recovering or continuing junkies. Some are in jail. A few are dead.

drillbit
Shredalicious

Post by drillbit » 22 Dec 2010 18:58

i think most folks that have an addiction problem are aware that life sucks when they are using.
Celebrations and good times are marked by use and abuse for many though, and for a while its all good times. I am thinking proms, weddings, holidays, graduation, college friends, etc etc etc.

The notion that life is better when you are using is probably an attitude carried by those that are in fact still having a good time.

Your junkie peers were most likely really enjoying heroin the first few times and then maybe a few more after that..........then reality sets in they start to get dope sick as they become addicted ......maybe go from snorting to shooting. I believe it was a blast and they had some great times they will remember forever as cherished memories...........once they were addicted however they knew that the best times were gone.

Thinking that life is better when you are intoxicated or high is probably an attitude carried by millions of healthy people, none of whom are addicts. Addicts know life sucks....

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 22 Feb 2012 17:14

This is very late. But weed is NOT addictive, if YOU get addicted to it, it is because YOU have an addictive personality. Marijuana is a stimulant as well as a depressant, which is why it still has scientists baffled. Even though it is a stimulant, it has NO(ZERO) addictive chemicals in it. Also IT EFFECTS EVERYONE DIFFERENTLY. If you look up any recent studies, which are barely coming out because the government is finally starting to back down from it's previous notion that weed has no medical purposes. You will find out that weed has been proven to cure certain forms of cancer.
Alcohol is far much worse for you and your body, it is just socially accpeted so it is looked upon in a different way.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

worldbound
BSOS Beast

Post by worldbound » 22 Feb 2012 21:08

Weed makes my brain numb and myself motion sick. I throw up every time I have had weed brownies, and come close to throwing up every time I smoke it. I haven't touched the stuff in years.

I would never mix weed and footbag.

Meth and footbag will always be my winning combination :wink:
Mike Green
footblog
kicking since Mar 27, 2011

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 22 Feb 2012 23:13

Derek wrote:This is very late. But weed is NOT addictive, if YOU get addicted to it, it is because YOU have an addictive personality. Marijuana is a stimulant as well as a depressant, which is why it still has scientists baffled. Even though it is a stimulant, it has NO(ZERO) addictive chemicals in it. Also IT EFFECTS EVERYONE DIFFERENTLY. If you look up any recent studies, which are barely coming out because the government is finally starting to back down from it's previous notion that weed has no medical purposes. You will find out that weed has been proven to cure certain forms of cancer.
Alcohol is far much worse for you and your body, it is just socially accpeted so it is looked upon in a different way.
Scientists are baffled, but stoners know everything about weed... :lol:

Weed is definitely addictive;
http://scholar.google.com.au/scholar?q= ... as_sdtp=on

Not having "addictive chemicals" in it (I don't know if this is true) doesn't stop something from being addictive. Gambling is addictive too, and it's rare that it involves ingesting chemicals.

I look forward to seeing a single reference that "proves" weed cures any cancer. It's certainly easy to find articles that demonstrate weed causes cancer.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1823 ... d_RVDocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1905 ... d_RVDocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1683 ... d_RVDocSum

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 23 Feb 2012 09:55

When did I ever say that I know everything? My facts are generated from facts of scientists. I know very little in comparison to other people. I went to Oakstedam University for a semester, which is basically a college about weed, and learned quite a lot. Your whole lung cancer "theory" is really ignorant so I don't get why you keep posting that. Their are MANY other forms of getting high than just smoking. For one, a joint is actually the 2nd healthiest way to get high, the weed itself is used as a filter(Quite effectively due to the high amount of resin). Then smoking out of a water-pipe(as long as it's always relatively clean) reduces the harmful smoke inhaled by up to 40-60 percent depending on the piece.The two tied for the top are vaporizers, which NO HARMFUL smoke is inhaled(just THC vapors) and edible. How can you get lung cancer from eating a brownie dude? Use some common sense instead of thinking how your government wants you to think. You are from Australia, you just don't get it, it is very different here(less bias, or more bias in favor of, however you want to put it) in California. Look up Florida State research on medicinal marijuana.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 23 Feb 2012 09:59

Totally spaced on the first part of your post. you proved my point exactly, gambling addiction is a person with an addictive personality! That's how you would go about, from psychological point of view, instead of a chemical and psychological point of View! Heroin IS addictive chemically because it is just a stimulant(like 60 percent of most prescription drugs) and has chemically addictive compounds for your brain! Weed DOES NOT! You get addicted, you have personal issues you need to sort out, it's not the weed itself. How addicted to alcohol is everyone? and you aren't complaining about that?
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 23 Feb 2012 10:06

http://thecureforcanceraustralia.com/in ... abis-Cures

Is Australia as awesome as it seems?(Honest question, hella want to visit)
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 23 Feb 2012 15:13

If you're judging Australia based on a random non-government website promoting marijuana, then it's probably not as awesome as you think it is.

You're obviously entitled to believe whatever you like, but I point out that my "cancer theory" is based on large long term studies attempting to take into account all conflicting factors, and demonstrating a correlation between cancer and smoking weed that cannot be explained by any other known mechanism or chance.

Of course there are other substances that can cause both social harm, addiction, and cancer, and me talking about the science that suggests weed causes cancer in a topic started about weed and health really doesn't indicate my position on any other substance that this topic isn't about.