30 pounds in 3 months-possible?

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 19 May 2009 14:21

P90X is a muscle confusion fat burning cardio/resistance workout. We do something very similar to that here at Active Network (Where I work).

The point is to take stored fat and burn it while adding some muscle. The net effect is weight loss and muscle tone, NOT bulk muscle.

If you want to add 30 pounds of muscle then you are gonna need to eat ALOT and lift heavier weights. Heavy weight builds bulk, lower weight tones the muscle you already have.

Take a look at the before and afters of P90X. None have increased weight, they all have burned off fat and ripped up.

I am 34 years old and have gone up and down on the scale. When I was 15-16 I started lifting heavy weights (75-85% of Max) and eating lots of protein, including multiple chicken breasts per seating and 2000-3000 calories of whey protein a day. After 2 years of this I only gained about 30 pounds of muscle. I maintained about 8% body fat throughout, which is thin already. I went from 145 lbs to 175 lbs in that 2 year span.

At the age of 33 I was 240 lbs. and dropped a dramatic 60 lbs, down to 180 doing P90X style workouts and eating to drop weight. This took only 120 days to achieve.

P90X is not the answer - take what you can from the workouts, but ultimately you will need to lift heavy and eat like a horse to gain the kind of muscle you are working to achieve.
Go out and shred already.
~Damon Mathews

Radek Deko
Shredalicious

Post by Radek Deko » 19 May 2009 14:53

Would the combination of eating tons of calories and protein + doing p90x+ with heavier weights would that be a good alternative to lifting weights and eating a lot? Keep in mind that I already gained 7 pounds over a period of 2 weeks. From 100 to 105 pounds.

Because I have a friend that did heavy weights and ate tons of calories and protein and he gained a lot of muscle but he also gained a lot of unwanted weight, and i wanna avoid that so I don't have to go back and do p90x+ after i do weights to look cut.

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 01 Jun 2009 14:12

Most of the Body Builders I know bulk up then cut up, I haven't met too many that have done both at the same time.

Maybe it is possible, I just have not seen this result before.

Aaron???

Radek Deko
Shredalicious

Post by Radek Deko » 02 Jun 2009 14:38

Well after thinking it through, and a month of P90X i dont see many results, well I didint expect much anyways, because i know it takes years to build a good body. So im going to do this program called 5x5. I hope this works and I bulk up, then time for p90X+

Colin
Flower Child

Post by Colin » 02 Jun 2009 17:23

Got a link?

Most often when people say the 5x5 they're referring to something like a 2 day split with 5 ramping sets of 5 reps. Something like

A

Squat
Bench
Deadlift

B

Squat
Press
Rows or cleans or pullups usually

With accessory work thrown in both days (abs, hyperextensions, whatever).

Or I guess maybe a 3 day split with something like a 5, 8, 3 squat cycle?

These are GOOD PROGRAMS, and they're what I was going to point you toward after you finished the p90. Do you have someone teaching you how to do the lifts correctly?
Colin Kennedy
ckennedy@footbag.org

MathieuGM
Fearless

Post by MathieuGM » 02 Jun 2009 20:04

I'm studying in physical education, so i know some things about training. Still, i'm not specialized in body building and things like that :). We don't do weight lifting with 10 years kids :P.

That said, i would say you should be aware of what you are doing. To gain a lot of musclar mass while you are groing can affect your groin process by 2 way : 1-your energy is more used to repair build muscle then to grow. 2-If you are training a lot, your ''muscle'' can put a pression on your bones wich make them grow slower.

Considering that you are young and still groing, i'm not sure it is a very good idea to try to gain 30 pound in such a small lap of time. Usually, i don't receommand people to do hardcore body building before the age of 16 (minimum). That doesn't mean you should not do chin up, abs, push up and things like that.

Also, i'm not a big fan of protein supplement. I consider that if you eat what is recommanded for youre kind of traingin, you should be allright. Body building is not a race. It's way better to train correctly and gain musclar mass slower than to try to explode in less than 6 month.

Finally, there is an other phenomen to consider, even if that should not affect you as you don't seem to be really fat. A lot of people, when they strat to workout LOOSE weight in the first few weeks of their program. Fat burn faster then muscle mass appeir. So you loose weight instead of winning mass. Once youre fat percentage is stabilize, then you will start to slowly gain mass by your muscul expansion. That leed me to say that there are other things than muscle that is included in youre wieght. So i don't recommannd people to fix themselve objective of ''Gaining weight''.

It's hard for me to express well my idea in english. I hope it was not that hard to understand.

Radek Deko
Shredalicious

Post by Radek Deko » 05 Jun 2009 17:48

MathieuGM wrote:I'm studying in physical education, so i know some things about training. Still, i'm not specialized in body building and things like that :). We don't do weight lifting with 10 years kids :P.

That said, i would say you should be aware of what you are doing. To gain a lot of musclar mass while you are groing can affect your groin process by 2 way : 1-your energy is more used to repair build muscle then to grow. 2-If you are training a lot, your ''muscle'' can put a pression on your bones wich make them grow slower.

Considering that you are young and still groing, i'm not sure it is a very good idea to try to gain 30 pound in such a small lap of time. Usually, i don't receommand people to do hardcore body building before the age of 16 (minimum). That doesn't mean you should not do chin up, abs, push up and things like that.

Also, i'm not a big fan of protein supplement. I consider that if you eat what is recommanded for youre kind of traingin, you should be allright. Body building is not a race. It's way better to train correctly and gain musclar mass slower than to try to explode in less than 6 month.

Finally, there is an other phenomen to consider, even if that should not affect you as you don't seem to be really fat. A lot of people, when they strat to workout LOOSE weight in the first few weeks of their program. Fat burn faster then muscle mass appeir. So you loose weight instead of winning mass. Once youre fat percentage is stabilize, then you will start to slowly gain mass by your muscul expansion. That leed me to say that there are other things than muscle that is included in youre wieght. So i don't recommannd people to fix themselve objective of ''Gaining weight''.

It's hard for me to express well my idea in english. I hope it was not that hard to understand.

I'm going to flame you a bit on this one. I read A LOT about bodybuilding etc. its been all over the forums in bodybuilding.com that working out does NOT affect your growth, and if so it fixes your posture. And I'm very aware of what I'm doing, my brother is helping me with my form and spotting me. Hes been working out for a while now. Plus all of the supplements its to add. Its not all I'm basing my workouts on. Its not the priority. Its just to help me, Please read about supplements more, because I've noticed older people, are so against supplement for what ever reason, its just additional protein. Alright sorry if i flamed, Dont take it personally :D

MathieuGM
Fearless

Post by MathieuGM » 06 Jun 2009 13:30

If you train properly there is no problem :). Just make sure to make everything allrightA and you shouldn't have any problems.

TomTilly
BSOS Beast

Post by TomTilly » 12 Jun 2009 08:48

Answer your original question, I think 30 phounds in 3 months is impossible with the weight 100 phounds without steroids. Howewer, If you drink protein shake, train hard (I think 10-12 reps would be better than 5 reps) and sleep and relax enough, you will grow really fast in the eary months. Professional bodybuilding is much more than that, but it is easy to get bigger in the first years.
ps. Get muscles and lose fat in the same time is in my opinion impossible, but with your weight you shouldn't be afraid for a small fat :wink:
Last edited by TomTilly on 14 Jun 2009 05:50, edited 1 time in total.
Tilly Tamás

"The mistake is not to drop it. The mistake is not to pick it up."

Radek Deko
Shredalicious

Post by Radek Deko » 12 Jun 2009 14:14

This guy, he bodybuilds for a while now, he said I can do it, because I'm growing right now. I already gained 10 pounds in a month, and I still have a little less then 3 months left.

Maraxus
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Maraxus » 30 Jun 2009 22:08

So I just put on thirty-five lbs in the last three months and let me tell you.... considering I was already a pretty good sized dude at 180 and 6% body fat, I am now 215 and twelve percent bodyfat, a lean tissue gain of twenty lbs. Yes, I am bigger then Ales now from what I know.

This has probably been the most uncomfortable process I've ever put my body through. If you are just trying to gain weight, and not trying to compete in bodybuilding like I, don't worry about putting all this weight on so quickly. In fact, it's more likely that you will put on bodyfat and not hard earned lean tissue. Keep eating a surprlus of calories, getting plenty of rest, and THROW YOUR PX90 TAPES INTO A LOCKER UNTIL YOU CUT. Get in the weight room and replicate heavy compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, presses, and rows. Use free weights. PX90 will not make your muscle mass hypertrophy, instead your providing a stimulus for muscular endurance which leads to more leaness, improved capability to resist fatigue, and more seperation between muscle bellies. These are all ideal with a moderate calorie consumption and a mentality to lower your overall body composition.

FINALLY

OUR BODIES ARE CREATED TO MOVE, RESIST TENSION, AND RESIST GRAVITY. ANYONE WHO SAYS THAT LIFTING A MODERATE AMOUNT OF WEIGHT AT A YOUNG AGE MAY LEAD TO UNDERDEVELOPMENT IS AN IDIOT. GROWTH IS DUE TO OUR BODY ADAPTING TO THESE FORCES, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.
bodybuilda

PegLegHolly
Swashbuckler

Post by PegLegHolly » 01 Jul 2009 08:12

edit: protein
Holly Mathews
peglegholly.com

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 01 Jul 2009 23:11

I dont think drastic changes are healthy. You want to maintain what you have if you arent in bad shape. Dont go crazy with 3 month plans unless its for a reason-$$$ 10 lbs a month sounds like you wanna get all puffy with water weight. That stuff will put wear and tear on your whole system and youll be looking 40 at age 30.

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 27 Aug 2009 22:22

Honestly, you'd be lucky if you got 15-20 pounds of muscle in a YEAR. Trying to gain 30 pounds of muscle in 3 months, even at your age, isn't going to happen, and if that's your goal you're going to get discouraged quickly and wont gain a single pound of muscle in the end.

It's important at your size to start slow. Space your workouts into a three or four day a week split and keep the reps and weights low. As you start to feel stronger at a particuliar excersize increase the weight a little bit at a time. If you overtrain you will stress your central nervous system and possibly injure a muscle to the degree that it will take you out of the weight room. Again, do not go into the gym trying to see how much weight you can curl/squat/row. You will hurt yourself, drain your body, and again not gain much muscle in the long run.

Whoever told you to take Px90 did you a huge disservice. Whoever posted the Scooby link did you a huge favor. You need to go watch every Scooby video there is and memorize it because it's literally 80% of the information a begginer in bodybuilding needs to know. You don't need to be buying a bunch of whey protein (Which yes, is bad for you if you're taking the shitty GNC brand) or supplements to get jacked. Just eat ton of good food! Fat's are fine but stay away from olive/canola oil because the stuff is rancid. Chicken skins ect are fine for you. Cholesterol is not anything to worry about it's sugar from sweets or shitty bread that will keep fat on you hiding whatever muscle gains you get underneath.

ShredOnLawn
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by ShredOnLawn » 30 Aug 2009 19:52

It is possible to gain weight quickly. But it isn't key to being a great footbag player.

Don't rush the muscles. They need to cross train with proper Yoga to become that strong so fast without permanent set backs.

Make sure you massage your major joints's tendons and ligaments as they buffen.
Lon Smith

footbagi
BSOS Beast

Post by footbagi » 18 Sep 2009 19:56

I like what both Aaron and Lon said.

Aaron wrote:
OUR BODIES ARE CREATED TO MOVE, RESIST TENSION, AND RESIST GRAVITY. ANYONE WHO SAYS THAT LIFTING A MODERATE AMOUNT OF WEIGHT AT A YOUNG AGE MAY LEAD TO UNDERDEVELOPMENT IS AN IDIOT. GROWTH IS DUE TO OUR BODY ADAPTING TO THESE FORCES, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

I agree with this because of the key word "moderate". You are young. Do you have brothers? If so how tall are they and how much do they weigh? What are your Dad's measurements like? If you still have room to grow then take it easy on your body. If your going to get into heavy weights at low repetition then get ready for a big change of your balance and maneuverability.

Just remember you want to be able to USE your new dreamy physique.
First think about how to practice or don't bother practicing.

John Bagi

Ndeschamps
Shredalicious

Post by Ndeschamps » 29 Sep 2009 09:12

Protein shakes would be quite pointless in your situation I think.

"We've all heard the myth that extra protein builds more muscle. In fact, the only way to build muscle is through exercise. Bodies need a modest amount of protein to function well. Extra protein doesn't give you extra strength."

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/g ... ts-protein

I doubt protein would make you gain extra mucle, theres no point going overboard with it. In fact most people get more protein in their daily diets then they need.

If its energy your looking for out of protein shakes take in more carbohydrates.

I hope I helped
Nathan Deschamps

Challenge Me!
Watch me shred?
http://www.nathanfootbag.com

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 30 Sep 2009 16:42

I've gained 17 lbs of muscle in the past 6 months. I lift only 2-3 times a week sometimes less. I eat a vegetarian diet and sometimes but rarely supplement with vegan protein. I keep the processed foods low, tending to eat a lot of fresh fruit, vegetables and rice&beans. I get 7-8hrs of sleep a night and consume little to no caffeine.

Similarly, in college I lifted 3-4 times a week for 2 years and during that time I gained only 10 lbs. I was an omnivore then, ate a lot of junk food and got very little sleep. I also drank mountain dew and beer like it was water. Looking back I was completely sabotaging my efforts gain muscle.

I think the keys are a healthy (not necessarily vegetarian but I recommend it) diet. Tons of protein is not necessary, most people actually get too much, easy on the junk food, caffeine and booze. And then of course you actually have to lift consistently and bring your muscles to failure every work out.

That's just my story. Radek it sounds like things are going well for you.

makingthebest08

Post by makingthebest08 » 09 Aug 2010 03:55

Do a natural procedure to have a best result.

drillbit
Shredalicious

Post by drillbit » 07 Sep 2010 07:44

so....almost a year and a half later.

what was the outcome here.
did the OP gain as desired?

was it fat or muscle mass?

how was the footbag performance gain?