broken ankles=no footbag??=[

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
thedudeman
Multidex Master

broken ankles=no footbag??=[

Post by thedudeman » 16 Feb 2010 12:07

september 21st 2008 i broke both my ankles severely, one had the bone sticking out
would this be cause for concern? there fully healed now although the left one gets a bit sore when doing ankle stalls although the pain goes away after a bit of warming up

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 16 Feb 2010 12:19

It's going to be a different case for everyone, but,

Damian Gielnicki injured his left ankle before he played footbag, and didn't do left foot clippers for his first few years of playing (although he could bust 7 add moves on the other clipper). Then, a friend helped him work on his form on his left clipper, and he went on to beat Vasek Klouda for the title of World Champion in 2008.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

bcooke02
Hack Fiend

Post by bcooke02 » 01 Mar 2010 11:26

I broke my right ankle once in 2001 and then again in 2008. The first time my doctor told me I wouldn't be playing footbag for a long time if ever again. It was right after my trip to 2001 worlds in CA and I was so hyped on the sport. My ankle healed up great the first time but it was the time I spent in a cast which really bummed me out. I got really out of shape during the 6 month recovery period. I quit footbag for a while only playing casually here and there but not really pushing it. In 2008 I was bouldering in Australia and fell on the same ankle again. This was not long after my trip to and SJFF and 2007 worlds. Bad timing again! The recovery period this time was much longer and the physical therapy I went through was rigorous but well worth the time and money. I now have a large steel plate and six steel screws in my ankle and I'm both sided. Yippeee! Basically the cartilage and tendons in my right ankle are mush so I frequently do PT on it with exercises and large rubber-bands to keep the muscles in my ankle strong thus preventing further injuries. I also have been actively watching my form in recent time analyzing my foot work in hopes of identifying movement that may cause further injury. One thing that I found really helpful during my first PT sessions was Cold Compression therapy with electrical nerve stimulation. That was the icing on the cake at the end of my PT every day. Sounds scary but feels brilliant. Hope this helps
Benjamin Lee Cooke
NYFA

thedudeman
Multidex Master

Post by thedudeman » 17 Mar 2010 20:57

well its good to hear its possible to keep playing, i have decent crank and dont have much pain in my ankles, it seems so wierd to think that you could break an ankle just from footbag
im connor payne

yall already know it's stanford homie

bcooke02
Hack Fiend

Post by bcooke02 » 16 Jun 2010 21:53

Neither breaks were from footbag. One was from slipping on some ice and another was from boldering....
Benjamin Lee Cooke
NYFA